Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Color Wheel Mod

I wonder how long it will take for someone to figure out how to do it. And when it is done... I want it! B)
tumblr_inline_ml9leeQUvj1qz4rgp.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sociala9133sociala9133 Posts: 23 Member
    I really hope someone does create this... I mean modders have already proved adding new colors to the game is possible... So it has to be a matter of time... but the thing with this is they would have to have an image for every color... as there is no way to edit certain parts of clothing or furniture "that we know of" anyway.
  • Options
    I figure it's worth putting up here.

If you post a thread asking for a certain mod or style, someone may be nice enough to take up your request. I've mostly only seen color mods for outfits, but furniture may start getting attention soon now that the game's out.
  • Options
    KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    I don't think a color wheel in the actual game would be possible. I could be wrong. But as of now, each item and swatch is a different file instance and requires unpackaging and repackaging to add to the game.
  • Options
    momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    If it can be done I want it!
  • Options
    Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited September 2014
    @SimGuruModSquad can correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure it's not possible.

As far as I understand it, CaST in TS3 worked by compositing your pattern over the base texture at runtime, as the object was being rendered on the screen... which is low level functionality built into the game's render engine. That's not something you can change with a mod.

Plus it added a couple of steps to the render, which is part of the reason TS3 had so much texture pop-in and overall poor performance graphically.

And no, contrary to popular belief, a "simple" color wheel isn't any simpler than a full-on texture tool like CaST. Either way, it involves texture manipulation at runtime.

What we COULD get is super easy-to-use recolor tools... that let you produce recolor mods with a couple of clicks. We are pretty close to that already, but they could still be easier.
  • Options
    simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    I don't think it's "easy" at all, no simple about it... don't get me wrong, I would love it but... I don't think making a CASt tool for the game would be within the realms of reality for modders.

Would love to be proven wrong, it was probably my favorite thing about sims3
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    Lucas182Lucas182 Posts: 3 New Member
    The Sims 4: Color Wheel. I'll buy that freaking expansion pack in a heartbeat
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    I can't believe they took the colour wheel out in the first place. Sims 3 was big on the whole we're giving you more creativity more style to do what you want and now they're like oh wait no, forget all that lets pretend that never happened.. back to the basics. >-<

Even without the pattern tool they could have given us the colours and also the ability to do that in CAS mode for hair styles.. and actually highlight their hair the way we could in Sims 3.
    tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
    ⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]
  • Options
    micandra_cmicandra_c Posts: 51 Member
    I just got the game yesterday and I'm already wondering why I bothered. I liked the fact I could change the color of objects in TS3. Now we're pretty much trapped with what they gave us in the game. Doing away with the best features was shooting themselves in the foot, IMO. Unless they intend to add it back in future exps and make us pay for it.
  • Options
    Gailwhit4Gailwhit4 Posts: 116 Member
    I would love one too. When I play the game, I feel it missing. That was the first thing I went for when I first played. It's a continuous slap in the face every time I go to click for it.
    <3WhitneyXD
    Gallery ID: WhitneyMichelleR
  • Options
    WindiiWindii Posts: 27 Member
    I so hope that some way is found to add this as to me it is one of my main things I love being able to change textures and colors of furniture wallpapers drapes and make all match exactly and its one of my greatest pleasures in the game when i do the decorating of the places iv built.. i really really miss it so much..

it is the main thing i really want to make this game rock for me, yes i miss some other stuff but i need that color and texture wheel back to make me happy:LOL
  • Options
    esse10esse10 Posts: 34 Member
    gnef6ae4h44uxlaawr8c.gif
    Everyone is so in love with that hell-sent color wheel. It was a slow and buggy mess with every texture in the book loading each time with it. I guess I rarely used it, so I can't understand the infatuation. I, in fact, hated the color wheel. They give us more than enough presets.
  • Options
    simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    esse10 wrote: »
    Everyone is so in love with that hell-sent color wheel. It was a slow and buggy mess with every texture in the book loading each time with it. I guess I rarely used it, so I can't understand the infatuation. I, in fact, hated the color wheel. They give us more than enough presets.

Why even post this in here? Great, you didn't like it and you don't miss it... some people do and this thread is for them. And your horrid GoT character eye-rolling gif can eat a bag. That's rude.

Also, we could use a color wheel even without all the patterns. More than enough presets? It's very difficult to get matching furniture in the game, so I wouldn't say they gave us more than enough.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    IrishSimsloverIrishSimslover Posts: 715 Member
    esse10 wrote: »
    gnef6ae4h44uxlaawr8c.gif

I can accept the preset texture they give us, because I can work with not being able to customize every little aspect. But what I can't work with is the colors. Just basic colors so that my sim's clothing match for heavens sake!

Because if it's one thing that I'm really OOC about, it's matching style!
    tumblr_inline_ml9leeQUvj1qz4rgp.jpg
  • Options
    runesongrunesong Posts: 85 Member
    It wouldn't be so bad if furniture and windows that matched, could match in colors as well. Maybe they could give us 5 basic colors (white, black, brown, tan, blue) that would be available for EVERYTHING! Then at least we could make things go together well.
  • Options
    CMWarrenCMWarren Posts: 1,092 Member
    I can't believe they took the colour wheel out in the first place. Sims 3 was big on the whole we're giving you more creativity more style to do what you want and now they're like oh wait no, forget all that lets pretend that never happened.. back to the basics. >-<

Even without the pattern tool they could have given us the colours and also the ability to do that in CAS mode for hair styles.. and actually highlight their hair the way we could in Sims 3.

basically, the color wheel broke the game for too many people for EA to consider it successful. it was where the majority of lag and glitches came from.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    That color wheel would crash my game about 75% of the time. I had to make sure I would save my game every ten minutes each time I was building a lot. For someone who had more fun building than any thing else it got to the point that I wouldn't play the game for MONTHS at time because of how frustrating it was. When I bought a new laptop so I could play TS4 and installed TS3 I no longer had crashing issues, but It still took for EVER for it to load and would still freeze up. All in all I do miss how customizable things were, but I do NOT miss the hassle.

I do hope that we get something that we can alter things with. I would have no issues with things as we did for TS2 for doing recolors. I am so needing my Dali, Van Gogh and Kinkade!!!!!!

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    corithnaspalcorithnaspal Posts: 5 New Member
    Thinking on this issue the best work around I can think of would be an external application that would allow the user to unpack items, patterns, clothing, etc, and then edit the existing color swatches to suit their taste. Followed by repackaging the newly modded items back into the game replacing the originals. With this methodology players would be able to set up sets of colored items for those objects they use in game. The benefit of doing so in this manner is that there would be zero impact on game play performance. I suspect that we may see this released by Maxis at some point unless a crafty programmer/ mod author is able to launch one before they get such a tool up and running.
  • Options
    ShannenShannen Posts: 2,811 Member
    The problem for me is that none of the furniture I like match, which is annoying. Especially when I like woods and materials to match, so I basically have to choose if I want the table I like or the colour I like but thats another table that I'm not too keen on. The colour wheel was fine in the sims 3, would I like it in the sims 4.. of course but I would settle for more chooses and the option chose for the wood and then choose the colour for the material..I don't like EA choosing everything like they did in sims 2...if blue goes with black or if pink goes with white..I want to choose. It is sim 4 after all not sims 2.5.

Sadly EA cannot please everyone.. and apart from a few things, I am happy with the new game even though I thought i wouldn't be.
  • Options
    harryjames009harryjames009 Posts: 84 Member
    Color wheel was a pain to match the colors, you had to type in three sets of number to match up the colors on anything for each piece of the clothing or furniture.
  • Options
    ThzkittengoesroarThzkittengoesroar Posts: 7 New Member
    with all the modders out there there is hope that someone who has a lot of time on their hands will create a color wheel mod possibly a create-a-style mod
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    I've never used mods in any of the Sims games. If someone made a colour wheel mod or a VERY easy way to recolour items, I'd be second in line for it (not first because who needs that? :wink: )
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    BlueStreetBlueStreet Posts: 174 Member
    I miss the Color wheel a lot but I don't think it will be possible for modders to put it in as much as I'd love to see it.
    I hope modders get to work on the instant skill point mods and adjusting friendships soon.
  • Options
    Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited September 2014
    Color wheel was a pain to match the colors, you had to type in three sets of number to match up the colors on anything for each piece of the clothing or furniture.

I guess you missed the drag and drop feature. You could drag and drop colors within a pattern and patterns within an object, and even drag colors and patterns between objects. Never needed to type a thing.
    with all the modders out there there is hope that someone who has a lot of time on their hands will create a color wheel mod possibly a create-a-style mod

Not if the game engine doesn't support it, as I believe is the case.
  • Options
    JACK14JACK14 Posts: 159 Member
    I haven't missed the colour wheel all that much yet, except for bed covers and hair colours, that's about it
    10qdhxj.png