Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is This True?

Comments

• Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    I'm not sure what is on the discs and what was downloaded, because when the install was 92% complete I had to put in the second disc to finish the installation.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Wow, then why buy the discs?

They make fabulous coasters.
  • Options
    ems0309ems0309 Posts: 541 Member
    I thought so too at first however since I have crappy Hughesnet I watched and no bandwidth was used during installation. But it did automatically download and install the DLC that came with it.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,142 Member
    --Copied from an Amazon review--

Well, I pre-ordered this game and eagerly anticipated the arrival on the release date. I got my package as expected through amazon..right on time (I love Amazon!).
    However, I was extremely disappointed when I put the disk into the computer - I was expecting to be able to start playing after a couple of minutes installation. All the installation does is take you to origin, where where you have to wait to download the game. I'm probably not even going to get to play today because it is taking so long! (I timed it and got out the calculator...it's going to take about 5 hours.) The entire reason I bought the hard copy version was so that I would not have to wait for the game to download. I called EA customer service about this and the girl was very polite, but she really didn't have any answer for me. She said that the game wasn't on the disks, that I have to wait for it to download. I asked her what was on the 2 DVD disks that I got and she didn't really know...just files or something. ?????? Anyway, I am disappointed in the format and in the amount of time this is taking to download. Don't bother buying the hard copy version...just buy the download...and be prepared to wait 5 hours for it to download on origin anyway

I hate when people do that! That is not a review, its a complaint. He has not even played the game -_-

Um, this is really useful if you're planning on buying the disks to circumvent agreeing to Origin's "you must agree to let us spy on your computer to use our service" policy. I would be furious if I bought and opened a physical copy only to find out I had to download the content--especially if I paid for shipping!
  • Options
    RinilexRinilex Posts: 3,048 Member
    Two discs and the game isn't even on them? The game has to be downloaded? What?

This. Seriously, what? Then what in god's name is the point of a hard copy?
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,142 Member
    --Copied from an Amazon review--

Well, I pre-ordered this game and eagerly anticipated the arrival on the release date. I got my package as expected through amazon..right on time (I love Amazon!).
    However, I was extremely disappointed when I put the disk into the computer - I was expecting to be able to start playing after a couple of minutes installation. All the installation does is take you to origin, where where you have to wait to download the game. I'm probably not even going to get to play today because it is taking so long! (I timed it and got out the calculator...it's going to take about 5 hours.) The entire reason I bought the hard copy version was so that I would not have to wait for the game to download. I called EA customer service about this and the girl was very polite, but she really didn't have any answer for me. She said that the game wasn't on the disks, that I have to wait for it to download. I asked her what was on the 2 DVD disks that I got and she didn't really know...just files or something. ?????? Anyway, I am disappointed in the format and in the amount of time this is taking to download. Don't bother buying the hard copy version...just buy the download...and be prepared to wait 5 hours for it to download on origin anyway

Are you sure you bought a legitimate version? Like from Amazon or from Amazon Market Place? I dunno how this works for games, but it doesn't sound like something EA would do intentionally not providing you with a physical copy. Good luck getting it sorted out.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited September 2014
    alan650111 wrote: »
    This is completely untrue. I also bought the physical disks and the game is actually on it! Origin automatically updates the patch and downloads the digital soundtrack.
    have you installed the game and if so what steps did you take, im actually having many report this issue. also do you have fast internet

i see @Eef97 you may also be able to help :)
  • Options
    Cendres13Cendres13 Posts: 258 Member
    edited September 2014
    lexxsims wrote: »
    What about if someone doesn't have internet, and buy this game :o ?

I guess they are SOL then...... Most people have some sort of internet now though. :S
  • Options
    PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited September 2014
    Eef97 wrote: »
    I just bought the premium physical discs and game loaded from the CDs. Only thing I have to download is bonus content (up all night, etc. & the updated patch.)
    I believe that's how it was with my game, too. The only thing it downloaded from Origin was the "limited edition" content (the Tiki Bar) and the patch. Everything else was on the disc. Less than a half hour to install the game on my computer.

And by the way, I have VERY SLOW internet. I did, however, make sure to update Origin the night before I bought the game. Maybe that person's "five hours" was including a big update from Origin that he should have already downloaded.

• Options
    Eef97Eef97 Posts: 325 Member
    @ ceejay402 I bought physical premium two CD set from Target. Game installed fine for me off of the CDs. I have slow internet so no way I downloaded a file that huge. It did update and and that took a little bit but not terrible. I do have a high end laptop Asus ROG running win 8.1
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    It seems from others reporting in, that the default at origin is to download it from there, when you go list the code with them. However, the problem with that is, you have to catch it and stop it from downloading to install from disc (reading between the lines here from the various reports!) However, the reason it is taking so long is because as more and more people have gotten on their servers, origin has slowed down tremendously (their end). I have been trying unsuccessfully for about 6 to 6.5 hours to sign in to origin to finish my disc installation. It keeps giving me an error that their servers are overloaded.
  • Options
    Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member
    BonnieQ1 wrote: »
    Omg. So there's really no point in getting the physical copy then. We're stuck with Origin. :(

Dead Island did the same thing with Steam, I think even Skyrim did as well
    IRJsECv.png
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Eef97 wrote: »
    I just bought the premium physical discs and game loaded from the CDs. Only thing I have to download is bonus content (up all night, etc. & the updated patch.)
    thanks! ok have you had origin installed before this? im just trying to figure out how some seem to be downloading from the origin and not the disc, so very strange, so anything you can think of what you did would be very helpful since it worked :)
  • Options
    hickup4695hickup4695 Posts: 3 New Member
    I called my gamestop they said they received email about 2:00 pm that read there is a glictch in the PC disk and we will have to download the whole game over 8 gigs from orgin. My problem is we live out in country have to use a dish to get internet and we only get 10 gigs a month for $60.00 so now not only am I out the money paid for game but also loosing my internet. Bad business it is
  • Options
    Oh really? Is it all copies or just those from Gamestop or just premium, or collector's or all of them, do you know?
  • Options
    hickup4695hickup4695 Posts: 3 New Member
    I have friend got his from Best Buys doing same thing its downloading all new game it seems. I cant contact help nobody seems to be there
  • Options
    Numba1simplayaNumba1simplaya Posts: 71 Member
    Uhm... I put the game disc into the drive and it took about 20 minutes to install, said it was 'copying game files' which were obviously from the disc... Just saying.
    My username is the unfortunate result of having created it when I was 11, for The Sims community back in 2002. Honestly I'm probably actually the numba2simplaya. ;)
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    for me is taking forever >.>
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Finally got mine started! Signed up to Origin, easy breezy from there on out. Says copying and going rapidly too!

Only weird thing, it said it was downloading the demo first? Not sure why, if I accidentally clicked on it, or if it did it automatically or what. But I already have it installed, and it didn't actually spend any time on it, just weird that it said that?
  • Options
    sl393lsl393l Posts: 155 Member
    I put my disc in and it sent me to the origins website for the CD key and then downloaded the game from there. I never was asked to put the second disc in. It took about 15 minutes to install.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    whats the second disc for then?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    whitemage_annwhitemage_ann Posts: 63 Member
    I have to agree with the others who had posted, why buy the hardcopy when you have to download it online? Besides I'm having problems with it being at 95% loaded and then it backtracks back to 89%. This is ridiculous!!!
  • Options
    h2onailsh2onails Posts: 155 Member
    I've always bought the hard copies, and you always have to wait for it to install/download. and it only took like 15 minutes for me. The second disc said it was coping pictures and the soundtrack or something!
    selfish and lazy and greedy
  • Options
    BabydollBabydoll Posts: 11 New Member
    We have Verizon and I'd say mine took about 20 minutes with the premium hard copy edition. I'd be pretty upset if it took over an hour. They don't give blank discs, you can go into them and see the files. I'd take it up with your internet provider or check your hardware spec.
  • Options
    TheSpinTheSpin Posts: 14 New Member
    The data is on the disk, but you are still required to use Origin and an Internet connection to install the game. I don't really think there is such a thing as a game that requires no internet connection at all nowadays. Whether you need to download the game, or keep it up to date etc, pretty much every game requires internet. Owning the disk can save you some download time, but it's not going to make the difference between using Origin or not.