The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Home Decorator Negativity thread

Comments

• Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    verlainem wrote: »
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    Holiday wrote: »
    Another YA/A centered gamepack featuring something which is considered cool right now? Nah. Thinking about not buying it tbh. This game has got to a point where I just don't like it anymore because it doesn't support my playstyle.

Their main demographic for this game is females aged 18-24, so I'm less and less surprised when we continue to get any sort of family gameplay ignored and constant gameplay targeted towards the Young Adult life stage, as these players will be able to play themselves through the game.
    Sadly, I agree. People who played TS1, TS2 and/or TS3 just aren't the target audience for TS4 anymore. I just wonder, are young people nowadays really so shallow?

I guess most people on the forums are 25 and up, especially those who complain about lacking gameplay.

True, the younger people follow on other social media places. Forums are old school
    I don't understand why people keep asking for household chores in the game. I don't like to do those in RL (have to do them but don't like it) why in the heck would I want to waste my sims time (and it take lots of sim time) to do these things. Do the younger player not do these chores in RL?
    I will wait on a sale - still don't use the stylist career much either.

I've been saying this since Laundry Day! Like how and why do people want to do chores in a game? If you want the realism of doing chores then do them irl, leave them out of a game. lol
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Ok, so lets break this down.

The sims team decided that they should devote a whole game pack around an idea that many simmers (as they themselves admit) are not very good at...... and likely not very comfortable with doing as part of their regular game play..... "building"

Then, they link the GP to the build mode making it a "build mode career" requiring nothing more than a feature we all got nearly 7 years ago. The build mode itself. Added some new BB items (which we usually get in pretty much all packs anyway) and called it a day. Pack is done.

I enjoy building in the sims as much as the next person, actually, its one of my favorite things to do in the game. But the game is very much lacking in game play features. We really didn't need an entire game pack geared around the build/buy.

So to recap.....
    ..... we got 4 kits so far.

1 was gameplay (bust the dust kit)
    1 was CAS (throwback fit kit)
    2 was build mode (country kitchen kit, and courtyard oasis kit)

And now, to add to the 2 build/buy kits we get a whole game pack focused heavily on the build/buy. So the only gameplay packs we got lately are the Paranormal stuff pack, and the bust the dust kit. Everything else is CAS and Build/Buy.

I wonder if EA/Maxis realizes that some of us actually want to play the game as well, not just create/build it.

I jokingly said to my friend that EA would make bank if they released a building simulator, I'm starting to think they should just bite the bullet and make one. :neutral:
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    orenjiAi wrote: »
    Most people are pretty positive, this pack is well received on youtube, twitter and instagram. There are only few negative posts like the ones in this thread, I think it's an age thing. interior design has become really trendy among teens and young adults, so these age groups are what TS4 caters to.

Lol I just had a realization from your post @Dakota88. Maybe I just have to finally accept defeat. Maybe I am getting too old for TS4. Unlike younger Simmers, I just can’t appreciate things just because they’re cool or pretty. (In hindsight though, isn’t that what them kids really only seem to care about? Looks?) Maybe I’ll just follow their favorite advice on reddit and “go back to playing the older games.” They may look fecking ugly but I know I’d actually enjoy playing those.

I think I have to accept that the game that I loved is never gonna materialize in this iteration. Not with a thousand DLC, not with this culture, not with this generation, and definitely not in this economy. And I know it’s such a shame, coz I already invested so much into this game. I have families, and builds, and stories (with pretend progression) going on. All of those things I have to abandon. But the fact that I can’t relate to the freaking trailer kinda says a lot about the growing divide between how I wanted the game to be and direction the team is taking it. I don’t want a pose player. I don’t want a moodlet spawner. And I don’t want a 3D modeling software (I have Autodesk to do that lol). I want a life-simulator game. I am obviously not the target demographic anymore.

I had a similar realization today, thus my post. After all of the ongoing criticism since JTB and the praise EA got for Paranormal - THIS GP is being so well received? Yep, I probably am too old for this game these days. I love playing it and I probably will continue playing it, might get some of the upcoming packs, who knows, we might get updated babies or a dumbed down version of Generations at some point (at least some game changers have been vocal about those things and most of the time complaints by game changers are listened to).

But today made me realize I am not the target demographic anymore, just like you. And to be honest, I am really kind of old. I'm 32. So it's no wonder EA aren't targeting their games at people my age anymore.

When I started playing The Sims, I was 11. When TS2 was released, I was 15. When TS3 was released, I was 21. And I was already 25 when TS4 came out in 2014, I probably was on the verge of not being the target demographic anymore back then (probably why we got toddlers and pools in the end because back then we still WERE the target demographic, at least KIND OF?).

So, oh well, I am old and my wishes for the game are probably nothing a 20-year-old would share. It does make me kind of sad though. I've spent 2/3 of my life playing this game.

Aren't there more people my age playing video games and spending money on it? Is everybody my age really just leading their real life and doing all the things you can do in TS for real? Am I really such a big loser, having stuck with this game for so long I stopped being its target demographic? :D:disappointed:

I had this realisation too, I praised Paranormal because I'm an occult simmer and I've been so starved for spooky supernatural content that I just lapped it up and tbf, for a stuff pack, it's put in a heck of a lot of effort. But otherwise, I've come to terms with the fact I'm not that target demographic anymore and haven't been for about three years, lol.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2021
    I’ve been playing the Sims 3 lately because the Sims 4 game play is broken. Whims are broken and my game play style relies on this type of game play. They know the game play is broken but refuse to do anything about it but they keep releasing more and more packs with build and buy items. This is the reason why I am so negative and fed up with the game lately. I want them to fix it so I can enjoy the game again.
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    Bluelle wrote: »
    I don't think it's valid to generalize all young people, like it's not valid to generalize all older people. I'm not replying to anyone specific btw, I just felt like I needed to say this for myself and other younger people xD. I don't get the vibe that young people don't care about microtransactions and only want trendy stuff. And I know that I'm just one person and can't represent an entire generation, but like, I would be sad if that was the case. The Sims THINKS they cater to the younger generation, but their trailers are just cringy and embarrassing when they try to be 'hip'. It's literally like that pic with the dude going 'how do you do, fellow kids?'. That's the embodiment of The Sims right now.

I'm in this < 25 age group and I want meaningful gameplay and Generations and core improvements and all that. I'm aware that I might be an exception, but I don't think I am. And I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. I genuinely just don't think that people my age are fine with microtransactions and only want trendy stuff, and if that is the case then... I'd be a bit sad. I don't think there's a bit gap at all between generations regarding what we wish for in packs and stuff.

What I think is that The Sims do what The Sims want to do, and what they THINK younger people want them to do, and they're not being very accurate. And if that isn't the case, why has The Sims 4 gotten the worst reputation out of all the games? Younger people want the same things as older people. Some people in the older generation want trendy things, some don't. Some younger people want trendy things, some don't. I genuinely don't feel like either generation leans more towards one thing or the other. But! I could be wrong! I'm not declaring that I'm 100% right about this lol

I feel like I'm repeating myself but I wanna get my point across (I'm not a native english speaker and I derail a lot). What my point is, is that The Sims team is like the parent, right? The parent who is trying to be cool and hip. Meanwhile the teen (us) is aware that the parent is trying to be hip and is failing. The Sims' marketing is not an accurate representation of what gen z wants. They're doing what they think we want, which is true for some but definitely, definitely not true for others.

This new pack isn't bad but it's definitely lacking meaningful gameplay that will improve the game as a whole. It's like a filler in a TV-show. It's only there so that something is there, but it's not actually adding anything meaningful

Thank you for your post, it gives me hope that there is this player base out there that shares my wishes for the game and that I am not too old for The Sims. <3
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,065 Member
    I just thought of something: they'll probably tie this to the emotion system. Renovating a sim's house well will probably give them an overpowering positive moodlet that lasts way too long. Doing a bad job would give them a negative moodlet that will be overpowered by all the other happy moodlets.
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    🐲🐲🐲🐲
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited May 2021
    Is anyone else bored of the oatmeal colored furniture that looks like cardboard? It made sense in Eco Lifestyle as that was about sustainability but we got the same style in Snowy Escape and Tiny Living and now pretty much all the items in this pack look like cardboard as well
    05-21-21-2-06-56-PM.png
    05-21-21-2-15-37-PM.png
    TS4_GP10_OFFICIAL_SCREENS_02_002_1080.png
    The wood texture and colour just looks like cardboard to me
    6a4c8826195e52bd58f1cc0bd9add863.png
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,332 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Is anyone else bored of the oatmeal colored furniture that looks like cardboard? It made sense in Eco Lifestyle as that was about sustainability but we got the same style in Snowy Escape and Tiny Living and now pretty much all the items in this pack look like cardboard as well
    05-21-21-2-06-56-PM.png
    05-21-21-2-15-37-PM.png

Yes me too
  • Options
    orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    edited May 2021
    Natural finish wood is kind of the trend for furniture and accents at the moment though. And well, I’ve noticed The Sims always follow the trend. 😅 TBH I don’t mind this finish too much as it gives off that warm yet still modern feel. It’s also easier to pair these with most wallpaper colors than say a dark cherry curio cabinet. Lastly, I’d rather these than last year’s farmhouse/country/granny chic and their distressed crusty paint.

Not me defending digital natural wood furniture! I need to reassess my life.
  • Options
    Loves2draw1812Loves2draw1812 Posts: 168 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    Another YA/A centered gamepack featuring something which is considered cool right now? Nah. Thinking about not buying it tbh. This game has got to a point where I just don't like it anymore because it doesn't support my playstyle.

Their main demographic for this game is females aged 18-24, so I'm less and less surprised when we continue to get any sort of family gameplay ignored and constant gameplay targeted towards the Young Adult life stage, as these players will be able to play themselves through the game.
    Sadly, I agree. People who played TS1, TS2 and/or TS3 just aren't the target audience for TS4 anymore. I just wonder, are young people nowadays really so shallow?

I guess most people on the forums are 25 and up, especially those who complain about lacking gameplay.

Just an example: It seems most people < 30 years old seem to think micro transactions are normal; I've had that argument before, they genuinely don't understand why it is morally troublesome. There is literally a whole generation that has never experienced a game without micro transactions.

Now that just makes me feel oh so very sad...and old...thanks for that lol

For me this pack is already off on a bad footing due to the Sims team letting so much hype be built up for other pack ideas, which people were basing off of tweets from gurus.
    So people got excited and then...this came out...so right away there is negativity there. Now more than ever people are looking for something to look forward to, so why let them get their hopes up? A simple 'nope, the gamepack isn't xyz' would help manage expectations.

Add to that the trailer, which is just awful (in my opinion) and doesn't properly demonstrate the pack (or it does, in which case :/ )
    If this pack does end up being better than what they have currently shown, then it just highlights that there is a real issue with the team and communication.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited May 2021
    Onverser wrote: »
    05-21-21-2-06-56-PM.png
    05-21-21-2-15-37-PM.png

I am the opposite. Being Scandinavian, that is the color of wood I like. I find the abundance of dark wood furniture in Sims annoying and old fashioned. It's so pre-WWII to me. Or American. (Not to insult anyone, but America is the one place I have noticed where dark woods have remained popular after the 1950s).
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I think I, like many here, have realized we are no longer the target audience; I am old, almost 50.
    After the Kits started coming out i have found myself mostly ignoring this game, switching more and more to other games.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    GamecubeLover26GamecubeLover26 Posts: 34 Member
    In the Sims 3, a career like this worked well because the neighborhoods were filled with Sims. You could spend a Sim's lifetime maxing out the career and never step foot in the same house again. In a game like Sims 4? There's so few houses and community lots that I have to wonder what the point is. Surely you'll be back to renovate the Pancake house again, especially if you only have the basegame. I don't know. I hope I'm wrong and EA have something up their sleeve, but as it stands now, I just don't see the point in it.

I honestly don't hate the trailer as much as I hated the other voiced ones. I would still prefer voiceless trailers or producer gameplay videos, but if EA is set on this, then I would rather have trailers like this again than the Journey to Batuu or Eco Living.

The part that I enjoyed the most was when the Sim was talking about her family and it showed that cute picture of them together on screen. They did something similar for Snowy Escape and I loved it there too. It doesn't get me excited for the packs, however, it just makes me wish that family gameplay and Sims were more fleshed out. 😭
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,633 Member
    edited May 2021
    Lol, well I'm just past 50 and I'm loving the game. And I even love the colours of the cardboard furniture 😄

Edit: sorry, to add some negativity into the negative thread, I think this pack should be coming with a new world full of houses that need some tlc.
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    If some of you in your 30s think you're getting too old for the game i'm in really big trouble lol. I'm just a bit over a month away from my 53rd birthday.

What age does "Sim Elder" start at? Should I be applying for Elder status? lol.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Some one in the positivity thread mentioned a concern over the issue with lag when you go in and out bb mode. I thought I'd comment here as the other thread really isn't appropriate for that.
    I have another concern about going in and out of bb in a clients home. There is currently a bug where if you go into bb on a lot that isn't your home lot, your sim gets treated as thought they aren't there any more, the lot becomes unviewable to you as though your sim is outside without permission to enter, even if they are already inside.
    Is this going to be fixed? Will players with this bug find it makes the new career unplayable? How do I find out before I buy the pack, as I am one of the people with this issue in my game?
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited May 2021
    If some of you in your 30s think you're getting too old for the game i'm in really big trouble lol. I'm just a bit over a month away from my 53rd birthday.

You become a Sim Elder after you were a Sim-Adult I guess? :D But with 53 you're still Sim-Adult age, when you turn 60 you should change your username to "Sim Elder" thank you :D
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Some one in the positivity thread mentioned a concern over the issue with lag when you go in and out bb mode. I thought I'd comment here as the other thread really isn't appropriate for that.
    I have another concern about going in and out of bb in a clients home. There is currently a bug where if you go into bb on a lot that isn't your home lot, your sim gets treated as thought they aren't there any more, the lot becomes unviewable to you as though your sim is outside without permission to enter, even if they are already inside.
    Is this going to be fixed? Will players with this bug find it makes the new career unplayable? How do I find out before I buy the pack, as I am one of the people with this issue in my game?

I can't imagine the outrage if that bug doesn't get fixed. It would basically break the career.
    Also, I think the BB lag will be very annoying for players of this pack. The lag from constantly switching between BB and Live Mode for the career sounds like a mess.

And we know they barely test packs at all, so it'll just be Bust the Dust and Eco Lifestyle all over again :/
    The lag and the bugs will make people unhappy pretty fast.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Well that's a scary bug isn't it? I haven't run into that one yet. Then again I only renovate my own sims house, and not NPC sim houses..... which has me feeling a bit nervous now.... thank you for that. lol. Add to that the annoying load screens this new career will constantly remind us of, and yep, this new pack could really be great for anger management excercises lol.

Everyone, remember to breath. Now count to 10.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,321 Member

I have wondered the same, as I do have that bug too. I usually do not go to buildmode when visiting other sims home, but once I tried to place a teleporter statue and then noticed it.

The said house looked weird from world view too, it was sort of semi transparent.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    edited May 2021
    troshalom wrote: »
    no Americans don't talk like that. Well maybe the folks at EA, but not the best/rest of us.
    Whoever they hired to do these vids they are pedantic. They talk like they are talking to 5 year olds

Oh, no. My daughter is 6. I've never talked to her like that and if I would she'd probably find this strange and embarrassing. She can't understand English yet but while looking at the trailer she asked my "Why this woman is talking in such a strange voice?" :D

Also I'm 40 and, yes, I feel that older simmers are not target audience anymore. This is just natural I guess, so I'm not upset about this (acceptance stage, you know). What's upsetting me is that targeting younger audience they target it not with innovations but with trends. Imagine procedurally generated worlds in Sims? How about 10 chairs instead? Sims 2 was huge 'cause it was so ahead of time in terms of Vision and Programming. Now Sims franchise is even behind the trends. Like behind Tenants already mentioned here. And that's what sad.

I know it from MMORPG games that there's an approach of having a game in life support mod milking it us much as possible while re-investing bare minimum in it. It's valid 'cause people already invested much in the game will stick to it as long as possible. Till the obvious end. I have a feeling that TS4 is entering this mode before Sims5 will be on stage. And here I've found one positive side in being an older Sims player - I absolutely don't care what horrors they'll do with Sims5. For me TS4 is the last game in this franchise.
  • Options

You become a Sim Elder after you were a Sim-Adult I guess? :D But with 53 you're still Sim-Adult age, when you turn 60 you should change your username to "Sim Elder" thank you :D

Well that's just great. Too old to be a simmer, too young to be an Elder, Now i'm feeling like I just don't fit in lol.

Maybe EA/Maxis needs to set up a special place here in the forum for us lost souls to have a place to go. A quiet place where we can all talk about the old days... back when we were part of the community.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,633 Member
    Nobody is ever too old to be a simmer @muzickmage I plan on still playing when I reach my 100th birthday.
  • Options
    skelebeeskelebee Posts: 101 Member
    Thought I'd chime in about the age thing, since I'm 24 so still technically in the right demographic. The direction EA is taking with this franchise is almost insulting, but more-so for those of us who have played the previous iterations. It just doesn't feel like the Sims anymore. It doesn't feel like "playing with life" anymore. A lot of people have termed TS4 a "YA simulator" and while I'm inclined to agree, I feel like they aren't even doing THAT correctly. I miss the depth and drama and details of 2 and 3. The sims franchise is a sanitized, lazy, boring shell of what it used to be.