Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS4 Totally Random Comments and Questions

Comments

• Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,926 Member
    edited March 2023
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    Okay as a mail carrier several random comments...

First of all, the lady mail carriers in Sims 4 wear heels on the job. Why. That's the absolute worst type of footwear you can wear for it. Can we change that please.

Second, I think the mailbox variety should be drastically improved. All we have are mounted boxes separate from the house, and anyone who has spent time carrying mail will know that there should be a much bigger variety than that (most houses I carry mail to don't even use those). It's weird how Sims has this urban American aesthetic to its houses yet we don't have wall-mounted mailboxes. Hell, the game should come with those dreadful mailslots you can attach as a flat wall decoration, no meshing required. Game has wall-trash cans, so no mailslots? I can't even remake my own house in any Sims game because there are no wall-mounted mailboxes.

Sims 2and 3 even has a cluster box unit for apartments. Sims 4 doesn't (I've seen an apartment box they have but it's not the familiar clusterbox unit that 2 and 3 have). Like what?

What about the one what came with Snowy Escape?
    pzvlqRg.png
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    I'm not a huge fan of the AI when leaving an infant at home with the butler - it's like none of the needs get taken care of.

I have discovered that is doesn't matter who is left behind with the wee ones. That's what's upsetting about it. I used to enjoy going to work with my Sims, but I don't dare now when there's a Toddler or younger in the household. It was better in Sims3 when we could see the colors of those left behind change. I would simply pop over, to set up queues to take care of whatever was needed and then return to the workplace. It's harder now to do it that way.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    blaq797blaq797 Posts: 145 Member
    Yeah, I figured that out later in play... She went out the window in a tport/bat... I had an adult on the lot, but as I purposed, she was only a regular alien... And basically other side of the lot.

Anyway, thanks for the answer.
    Sorry, Avatar is merely my favorite Sims 4 sim.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    edited March 2023
    So my sim just got her distinguished degree in biology and selected the Marine Biology career. It's a branch of the Conservationist Career. Because of her degree she started out at Level 8. :o I don't think I like that. I'm going to use UI Cheats and try to reset her to Level 1. I didn't realize you skipped so many levels. I actually like progressing through the career levels.

Just checked and same thing happened with her sister. Level 8 of the Law career.

ETA: Well that didn't work. I was able to demote her to level 7 but when I tried again she was fired. Exited without saving.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    Yeah that's the big payoff from a university degree @simgirl1010 :)
    A regular degree (not Distinguished) puts you in a slightly lower level of the career. I think 6 or 7.
    But your sims might be happier learning from the "school of life" than from university!
  • Options
    Yeah. I ended up having them both just quit their jobs. Hannah, with the biology degree is working in the Law career.
    Isabel, with the History degree is working in the Conservationist career. I just had them switch careers since those are two I haven't tried yet.
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I like the way the pie menu for conversations is set up, now that I'm getting used to it.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Midlife crisis can only happen to Adults, right?
    But what about burnout? Can it happen to YA and teens?
  • Options
    SimlingtonSimlington Posts: 26 Member
    I thought you could still start at level 1 of a career after going to University. At least that's what I've read somewhere. I'm trying another Uni run now, so I'll find out soon enough.
  • Options
    I like the way the pie menu for conversations is set up, now that I'm getting used to it.

I am quite certain once I learn where they placed things, I will really appreciate it, too. I had to hunt to find the interactions needed for the date in a restaurant. The whole socialize about the meal goal. When I finally found where they were hidden, I wrote down the new pathway, so I wouldn't have to hunt frantically for it the next time. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    somewhsome wrote: »
    Midlife crisis can only happen to Adults, right?
    But what about burnout? Can it happen to YA and teens?

I wish I knew. That's a very good question. I would assume, wrongly I suppose that even a YA and a Teen could experience burn out, especially if the job they took wasn't what they thought it would be.

Simlington wrote: »
    I thought you could still start at level 1 of a career after going to University. At least that's what I've read somewhere. I'm trying another Uni run now, so I'll find out soon enough.

I really don't believe so. Otherwise, why put your Sim through university at all? These are the perks of a higher education, after all.
  • Options
    blaq797blaq797 Posts: 145 Member
    It used to be possible from my recollection, for you to somehow start at Level 1 despite university. If one quit a job, they could start at the bottom rung. IIRC, there were career options that you could start low on the ladder thru the career choice box, if you hit normal crime career FE, you would start very low on the ladder instead of the lower down option of Boss/oracle.
    Sorry, Avatar is merely my favorite Sims 4 sim.
  • Options
    rebekah512rebekah512 Posts: 881 Member
    blaq797 wrote: »
    It used to be possible from my recollection, for you to somehow start at Level 1 despite university. If one quit a job, they could start at the bottom rung. IIRC, there were career options that you could start low on the ladder thru the career choice box, if you hit normal crime career FE, you would start very low on the ladder instead of the lower down option of Boss/oracle.

It depends on how well matched your Uni degree is with career. They've made it a bit more explicit in the game now.

If you look at the study subject section, it tells what careers they will boost. Put someone in one outside that list, and their degree gives no direct boost.
  • Options
    rebekah512 wrote: »

It depends on how well matched your Uni degree is with career. They've made it a bit more explicit in the game now.

If you look at the study subject section, it tells what careers they will boost. Put someone in one outside that list, and their degree gives no direct boost.

My Sim took Biology, but since they were all at Britechester-U, it wasn't a Distinguished Degree. He still started in the Doctor career as a doctor. Which was nice.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited March 2023
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    Okay as a mail carrier several random comments...

First of all, the lady mail carriers in Sims 4 wear heels on the job. Why. That's the absolute worst type of footwear you can wear for it. Can we change that please.

Second, I think the mailbox variety should be drastically improved. All we have are mounted boxes separate from the house, and anyone who has spent time carrying mail will know that there should be a much bigger variety than that (most houses I carry mail to don't even use those). It's weird how Sims has this urban American aesthetic to its houses yet we don't have wall-mounted mailboxes. Hell, the game should come with those dreadful mailslots you can attach as a flat wall decoration, no meshing required. Game has wall-trash cans, so no mailslots? I can't even remake my own house in any Sims game because there are no wall-mounted mailboxes.

Sims 2and 3 even has a cluster box unit for apartments. Sims 4 doesn't (I've seen an apartment box they have but it's not the familiar clusterbox unit that 2 and 3 have). Like what?

Isn't there a BG wall mailbox in Debug? (testingcheats on, bb.showhiddenobjects or bb.showlveeditobjects). It looks like the ones from Penthouses and Dorms.
    Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    rebekah512 wrote: »

I think they may get a pay bump with any degree, but don't quote me on that.
  • Options
    SimlingtonSimlington Posts: 26 Member
    The thing I think I read said you get better pay and faster promotions when starting at level 1, but I'm guessing it's been changed.
  • Options
    So I think any degree will give any career a boost.

As mentioned above my sim earned a distinguished degree in Biology and when I had her join the Conservationist career she started at Level 8.

Biology
    Distinguished Available at Foxbury Institute
    Associated with Careers: Bodybuilder (Athletic Career), Botanist (Gardener Career), Marine Biologist (Conservationist Career), Doctor
    From Carl's guide.

Had her quit her job and join the Law career and she started at Level 3.
  • Options
    ZoomerGirlZoomerGirl Posts: 135 Member
    I really hate the homesick moodlet, it'd be fine if it would go away but it always come right back up
  • Options
    pajamajam07pajamajam07 Posts: 314 Member
    I made a thread but I'll ask here too:

I'm not sure how to describe the problem and it seems like no one else has a problem with this or it's normal.

At every bar, lounge, and party, entertainer npc Sims usually have low skill. That's not as big of an issue because I can just cheat the skill.

My main issue is the entertainer never actually plays songs, but just practices. I have to listen to them "plink plink" nonsensically and it's driving me nuts.

Is this by default? Is there a mod anyone knows of to remedy this?
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    edited March 2023
    I just bought Dream Home Decorator before the sale ends, even though designing is not my thing but like I had stated before, it's time for me to try other things in this game besides having pets.
  • Options
    TheStrongOneTheStrongOne Posts: 15 Member
    Just to clarify, if a sim has sexual orientation- romance: No One and Romantic Exploration: No, does that mean they would not be interested in dating, getting married, and having biological children through woohooing?

I'm doing a legacy challenge and struggling to find a good husband for my current heir. Third sim I looked at, and wondering if this is a strike out, too?

Don't get me wrong, I love this addition to the game (with multiple orientations!)! Just trying to make cute babies and not happy with any of the current male sims, and the ones I keep choosing turn out to be a no go, LoL.
  • Options
    TheStrongOneTheStrongOne Posts: 15 Member
    > @Simlington said:
    > I thought you could still start at level 1 of a career after going to University. At least that's what I've read somewhere. I'm trying another Uni run now, so I'll find out soon enough.

I'm not sure, but have base game and get to work. I read somewhere if the teen has A's in school when turning into adult, they will automatically start at level 3 of a career. When I paid attention, that has been my experience. So not sure if this changes with having additional expansions, etc.

I also read that if you quit your job and try to rejoin, you will be at same level. I was bummed about this bc many careers have multiple career tracks now and I wanted to go back and do the other one once my sim maxed out current career. However, it put me back at level 10 for their career when rejoining.

If you are starting with a university student, who was not played as a child/teen, not sure how things are figured out, so my explanation may not be relevant to what you are asking. :)
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited March 2023
    So I think any degree will give any career a boost.

As mentioned above my sim earned a distinguished degree in Biology and when I had her join the Conservationist career she started at Level 8.

Biology
    Distinguished Available at Foxbury Institute
    Associated with Careers: Bodybuilder (Athletic Career), Botanist (Gardener Career), Marine Biologist (Conservationist Career), Doctor
    From Carl's guide.

Had her quit her job and join the Law career and she started at Level 3.

I think all sims will start at level 3 of their career if they got an A in high school. Was perhaps your sim an A student in HS?
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    Yes she was. Her daughter is now a high school student so I'll check when she graduates. If she's anything like her mother though she'll be in high school for a long, long time. 😄

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/989440/this-is-what-happens-when-you-raise-a-teen-for-4-years/p1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top