Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Very weird saved game corruption issue - could use some help understanding what happened here.

Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
So, I fix CC for people. Recently, a user came to me saying she was having issues in her game with CC nails disappearing from the left index finger of her sims. As you can see in this screenshot she provided:
MTS_hoangtuthoinayy-2007014-nails2.jpg

She provided the link to the nails on The Sims Resource - Pralinesim's "LA Vogue Nails." Like I would do with any other piece of broken CC, I downloaded it straight from TSR, I used Sims3Pack Multi-installer to change the sims3pack into a package file, I put it in my packages folder, and I went in-game to see if the problem was there for me as well. Lo and behold - it was. And, just as this user had noted, the issue was not confined to these CC nails, but to all CC nails in the game AND EA's Werewolf nails. Upon further inspection, the nails weren't missing, they were just extremely misaligned.

This already made me very confused, as I couldn't figure out why these nails would affect all others of its kind in the game. I messed with the file a bunch, but even my attempts to "fix" it were met with the same issue affecting all in-game nails.

But, it gets weirder. It wasn't that my "fixed" versions were also broken. Despite removing the original CC nails from my game, the problem persisted. My thought was, okay maybe it messed up some files. So I repaired the game files in Origin - didn't work. I replaced my user files with a backup made nearly a day before I ever downloaded this CC - didn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled all of my Sims 3 games - didn't work.

I was beside myself at this point, but I figured, okay let me try to create a new save game and see if the problem persists...Well, okay, here's where everything gets hecka confusing - it's fine. In any new save game, it's perfectly fine. All nails work as intended, are properly aligned, yada yada. I saved that game, restarted the game, and loaded it - same thing. Perfectly fine. No issues.

I'm just asking for some help figuring this weird puzzle out - Why did these nails affect such a specific part of the game? If it corrupted the save files, how, then, does it still affect ones that were backed up the other day, safely hanging out on an external hard drive, yet not affect any new save games I make? Is there something I'm completely overlooking? What on Earth is going on.

This all is a real bummer. If I've just lost all previous save games because of CC nails, I'm pretty miffed, to say the least. Is there any saving these old saves? Does anyone have any idea how to salvage this situation? Because I am just hopelessly lost here. :(

I'm going to still try to see if I can troubleshoot this in the meantime. I'll update if I find out anything else.

To Note: I forgot to mention that I use CC nails on my sims pretty much 100% of the time and hadn't noticed any misalignment prior to installing this piece of CC

Update 1: Okay, weirdly enough, it doesn't appear to be an issue with all of my previous save games. At first, I thought maybe it was specifically the save I tested the nails in, but another old save also had this problem. So I've loaded 3 old saves, with 2 having the issue, and 1 not. :confounded:

Update 2: Well, my favorite save isn't affected, so pretty much 1.) That's a relief, and 2.) There's no rhyme or reason to this, I don't know. Nothing makes sense anymore. Perhaps this has all just been one long hallucination. But, I guess the main point of this thread remains - Hopefully, one of you has insight on why such a random piece of CC would have a lasting affect on only certain saved games. If not, I guess, like big foot, this whole ordeal will remain a mystery. :lol:
Post edited by Emily4331 on