Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Improvements to TS4's Core Game Engine??

Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
edited April 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Maxis has a new job posting listed for a Core Software Engineer which I thought was pretty interesting.
What You Will Do

Reporting to a development Manager, as a Core Software Engineer on The Sims, you will work on core game features. The work will range from rapid prototyping to enhancing game systems and implementing new features. You will work on a variety of tasks from supporting and improving The Sims 4 engine to implementing game features for Create-a-Sim, Build/Buy, Sim animation and other major game components. Most of the work will be done in C++.

Job Responsibilities:

Extend existing The Sims 4 core features and create new ones in C++.
Work with designers, producers, content creators and other engineers to develop game features.
Write technical design documents detailing software requirements.
Write cross-platform code with performance and memory usage in mind.
Debug code to document and fix bugs.
Solve to support active live service.

https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/165420/core-software-engineer-rendering-c-the-sims?locale=en

What type of things would you want to see improved?

Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited April 2021
    That sounds like good news.

Things that I would like to see improved:
    Getting the engine to work better with more modern hardware and try overall to improve performance.
    Optimization to minimize simulation lag.
    Configuration so developers can add options so we can enable, disable or tune different features from different packs. We have started seeing that with some packs but I would like to see more.
    Support so the game can handle "many, many more years" of packs.

Other things that I also would like to see are more animations and gameplay objects that involve more sims, worlds with more lots and more interactive things and better townie generation and generated outfits.
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited April 2021
    Requires C++ yet the game is running on python. This is what I struggled with when I was thinking of pursuing a career in game development. I started with C++ and did that off and on for 2 years but everyone kept telling me that C++ is 'old school' and everyone uses python now, so I switched to python, then I found that basically C++ does the actual building, while python handles data. My head can't juggle between 2 massive programming languages.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    SamDenny wrote: »
    Requires C++ yet the game is running on python. This is what I struggled with when I was thinking of pursuing a career in game development. I started with C++ and did that off and on for 2 years but everyone kept telling me that C++ is 'old school' and everyone uses python now, so I switched to python, then I found that basically C++ does the actual building, while python handles data. My head can't juggle between 2 massive programming languages.

@SamDenny TwistedMexi explained it like this in an old article on simsvip: The Sims 4 is split into two main components. You have the modding-friendly Python code (script mods), and the typically closed-off C++. These two languages do not talk to each other, so instead they’re bridged by something called Protocol Buffers, or “Protobuf”.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Whatever improvements they need to make the Sims 4 more like a game and less like a story telling tool is what I would like to see. I want my sims to have more life in them so I don’t have to decide every single aspect of their lives for them.
  • Options
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Whatever improvements they need to make the Sims 4 more like a game and less like a story telling tool is what I would like to see. I want my sims to have more life in them so I don’t have to decide every single aspect of their lives for them.

That is exactly what I want too. I like when the sims themselves tell/show me what direction their story should go.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    This sounds really promising. Especially if the game is to go on for several more years.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Well color me surprised. It's great to see they're investing in the engine because it's a buggy mess right now. I hope we see improvement in the next 6 months or so.

And I absolutely hope we see features like personalities and attraction. I hope they get interests and hobbies. Maybe some extra life stages.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Very exciting news so it is!

Time for that body hair menu and those metal machines called cars! 🥰

And everything else folks already mentioned here. 👍🏼
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    SamDenny wrote: »
    Yeah C ++ is the starter language. I took a coding class too and hated it. Tax law is more up my alley. Most games either use Unity or Unreal engine these days and flash got phased out for games. I was trying for an accounting information systems minor but ended up graduating with an entrepreneurship minor. I even gave education a try for a minor too.

Any ways base game needs major help. The balancing between negative and positive emotions gets overridden by environmental buffs. The memory system, family tree, and whims need a complete upgrade. Babies need to be redesigned to be a life stage so genetics bug don't keep happening. Aspirations need a failure component to them. Neighborhood editing needs to happen so Simmers can at least pick their own lot sizes again and needs a neighborhood redesign to allow for car driveways. Cars need to happen due to false advertising issue which means NPC cars need to happen too. Beds need redesigning so Sims can cuddle and dream. UI toggles need to happen for at least option to turn off some NPCs, supernatural, and story progression. Bug reporting needs to be coded into the game itself with option to send that save files and in game photos and video evidence. Opacity sliders that makeup uses could be a solution for lack of color wheel for all CAS and build/bug items. Height slider would be a nice want to have in the game but they really need to put in more unique interactions for teens and elders in the game. Disability representation is a must especially starting with cosmetic options for the game then later add gameplay options if they are going to market inclusiveness.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Anything that shows they are willing to continue with this incredible game and improve it along the way learn term makes me excited🤭🤭🤭🤭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2021
    I don’t believe that hiring one additional employee is going to all of a sudden miraculously make the game a million times better. Any improvement will most likely not be substantial and will take a long time to implement.
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I don’t believe that hiring one additional employee is going to all of a sudden miraculously make the game a million times better. Any improvement will most likely not be substantial and will take a long time to implement.

It does say multiple locations. 5 to be exact.

Multiple Locations: Redwood City, California, United States • Orlando, Florida, United States • Austin, Texas, United States • Seattle, Washington, United States • Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

• Options

Well you could very well be right, but I always have the mind set of "Some improvement is better than NO improvement". Only time will tell, plus they said TS4 has years and years to go still, so maybe it won't have massive improvements soon but hopefully it will have significant improvements before they end this iteration so at least those who decide not to move on to a newer version will have a better version of TS4.
  • Options

Multiple Locations: Redwood City, California, United States • Orlando, Florida, United States • Austin, Texas, United States • Seattle, Washington, United States • Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Huh, are Maxis located at more studios in the US and Canada now? I only knew of Redwood City, California and Austin, Texas.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited April 2021
    This is interesting!

Some of these ideas are pack specific and some are not. The reason I included stuff for packs is because in a survey once they asked us about improving packs. So now here’s their chance.

Fixing the Sims personality by either fixing Whims so they are less generic, or adding Wants/Fears. Add more in-depth Aspirations.

Animation: Please fix the water balloon fight so it’s not so slow.

Animation: Cooking to add more using of cabinets and drawers.

Animation: No more just the slamming the refrigerator door closed.

Animation: Adding interactions for the current decor cash register so it can actually be used as cash register and not just the tablet.

Multifunctional lots!!!!!

Give the elemental collectibles more uses aside from just decor (like making them resources for crafting items).

A feature to toggle off the cellphone entirely.

A mechanic that allows you to accept or decline a promotion.

A way to completely turn off the random generating of townies.

Swimming in all worlds.

Adding more activities for the Club activity options, as well as Holiday traditions.

Make the lots on the coast of Del Sol Valley playable.

A new free world!

Some sort of option to “Throw Away” things from the Inventory with no monetary gain, not just trash and spoiled food but random things possibly found while fishing or something.

In B/B, creating individual swatches when an object has multiple surfaces to be colored (for example the bed - separate into bed frame and comforter so you can choose each of their colors individually).

Changing the way the object slotting works so that small decor items can actually fit on shelves and even on top of the refrigerator or more on a counter etc.

Pond tool.

I’ll come back if I think of more.
  • Options
    logion wrote: »

Huh, are Maxis located at more studios in the US and Canada now? I only knew of Redwood City, California and Austin, Texas.

This careers page shows multiple locations.

https://www.ea.com/ea-studios/maxis/careers
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Yeah only those two for the Sims studios. SimGuruFrost works from Canada.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited April 2021

This careers page shows multiple locations.

https://www.ea.com/ea-studios/maxis/careers

Interesting, that could mean that Maxis have more people at other EA studios, or they are planning to have more people there.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member

Well you could very well be right, but I always have the mind set of "Some improvement is better than NO improvement". Only time will tell, plus they said TS4 has years and years to go still, so maybe it won't have massive improvements soon but hopefully it will have significant improvements before they end this iteration so at least those who decide not to move on to a newer version will have a better version of TS4.

Something is better than nothing, you’re absolutely right.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I would definitely like to see better interactions between family members and body hair! Hopefully the people they hire will be sims players as well as software engineers. They should also offer to collaborate with modders. They really have a feel for what the community wants.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    "Implementing game features for Create-a-Sim, and animations" as well? Now we're talking. Always room for new animations (and while they most likely would never do it, I can dream of that awful woohoo cheering animation to be changed - I want my Sims to be either romantically flirty or at least taking this seriously, not like they've won tickets to some public event).

I do so want additional options in CaS, like body-hair and some torn clothing for the hiking adventurer + bandage option for arms, legs, body and head.
    Wouldn't mind some occult clothing, like fairy-dresses and clothes (yes, I know we don't have them... yet, so my mermaids will have to do) made out of leafs and flowers, and a plain hooded robe for the skulking spellcaster.

A "faithful" locking option for those Sims who only have eyes for each other, even with flirty Sims running all over, and if an attraction system gets implemented, we'll have the options of making our Sims faithful and reject all attention, even when the attraction system makes the other Sim the perfect dream-match for your Sim.

And placeable water would really be nice. With the option to swim in it. And while we're on that path, placeable fishing spots to go with it.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

This is what i would want too. I'ld love that sims would be able to acknowledge their environment and their relationships better.
  • Options
    I would definitely like to see better interactions between family members and body hair! Hopefully the people they hire will be sims players as well as software engineers. They should also offer to collaborate with modders. They really have a feel for what the community wants.
    They did hire Luumia on the EA team recently who is known for body hair CC. Actually like how they are supporting the mod community more.
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    They did hire Luumia on the EA team recently who is known for body hair CC. Actually like how they are supporting the mod community more.

Ohhh I thought he was hired to do the cinematic stuff and not as an actual CAS artist, that's pretty awesome if so.

• Options
    Scobre wrote: »

Ohhh I thought he was hired to do the cinematic stuff and not as an actual CAS artist, that's pretty awesome if so.

Yeah I think how SimGuruSteve explained it is he was hired on to do the trailers for the game. I would love if they allowed him to do some CAS work as well. I know SimGuruFrost was able to do some CAS designs too, so there is hope even if it isn't in their field. At least he is hired on. He is one of my favorite Sims 4 CC artists.