Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A problem with one of Snowy Escape's key features

I was watching Carl's Sim Guides' Snow Escape review and one thing that he pointed out was that one of the four key features of the pack is literally about... building a Japenese-inspired home.

iOkMDkz.png

Why on earth is this a key gameplay feature on its own? Every pack includes new build-mode items. It just seems like they did not have enough gameplay features to list. The pack seems to be lacking in gameplay.

Also another note, why did they list "Sentiments" as being one of the main features of this pack when it's part of the Base Game update for free? :|

Comments

• Options
    SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    Isn't the new feature that the sims can now remove their shoes?
  • Options
    chaccechacce Posts: 49 Member
    SAEldarin wrote: »
    Isn't the new feature that the sims can now remove their shoes?

Sims being able to remove their shoes doesn't justify a whole key gameplay feature for me.
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Gameplay is subjective. The building and Japanese customs were why I bought the pack. I didn't care about the snow stuff at all.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    Gameplay is subjective. The building and Japanese customs were why I bought the pack. I didn't care about the snow stuff at all.

Yes but every single pack has new build mode items. So why does Snowy Escape have it as part of their key features list? You don't see Get Together having "Build a Tudor-style home" as part of its features list.
  • Options
    SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited November 2020
    @chacce who knows? Maybe the build mode items feature prominently for the simple reason they combine well with the free platforms that were introduced. Either way, the build items are amazing and I'm glad I can remove some CC because some of the new items are exactly what I was looking forward to!

And I'd agree that having sims remove their shoes doesn't translate well into a key game feature, but that interaction does combine with all of the other cultural flavors/additions that were added with the pack.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I tried the pack for an hour on my friend's laptop who have already bought the pack, I'm still confused on what is the long term gameplay included in the pack, feels like this is another once finished and be done with it pack. Again.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    The Sims 4 has basically evolved into a building simulator, nothing new there.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    chacce wrote: »

Yes but every single pack has new build mode items. So why does Snowy Escape have it as part of their key features list? You don't see Get Together having "Build a Tudor-style home" as part of its features list.

Because the majority of TS4 packs are American/European builds already. That's like saying, "Look! More white people hair styles!" It's not news. Japanese style is very unique, and I'm looking forward to more Japanese themed homes on the Gallery, because even the houses in game are still too westernized.

The things they push in their advertising aren't necessarily "game mechanics". They are key features, and one of those key features is genkan entryways, removing shoes inside, and very different building elements. Those things increased my gameplay significantly, because I can tell stories that I couldn't before. Along with the kotatsu table and hotpot... these were the elements of the EP that mattered most to me.

• Options

Because the majority of TS4 packs are American/European builds already. That's like saying, "Look! More white people hair styles!" It's not news. Japanese style is very unique, and I'm looking forward to more Japanese themed homes on the Gallery, because even the houses in game are still too westernized.

The things they push in their advertising aren't necessarily "game mechanics". They are key features, and one of those key features is genkan entryways, removing shoes inside, and very different building elements. Those things increased my gameplay significantly, because I can tell stories that I couldn't before. Along with the kotatsu table and hotpot... these were the elements of the EP that mattered most to me.

If that's the case, then why didn't Island Living have a key gameplay feature all about creating houses with stilt foundations and being able to make more Polynesian-inspired structures? That's not American/European.
  • Options

If that's the case, then why didn't Island Living have a key gameplay feature all about creating houses with stilt foundations and being able to make more Polynesian-inspired structures? That's not American/European.

Because they did:

Rock the Island Vibes – Dress Sims in tropical garb inspired by sun, sand, and waves. Or, gear up for water activities like snorkeling and swimming. Decorate a rustic oasis with home objects and unwind at the tiki bar. Everything is chill (except for the occasional sunburn) when it’s Island Living.

• Options
    Last time I checked, clothes and tiki bars weren't gameplay, but they still included them in the key features.

• Options

Because they did:

Rock the Island Vibes – Dress Sims in tropical garb inspired by sun, sand, and waves. Or, gear up for water activities like snorkeling and swimming. Decorate a rustic oasis with home objects and unwind at the tiki bar. Everything is chill (except for the occasional sunburn) when it’s Island Living.

Yes, but creating "a rustic oasis with home objects" is a small part of this feature. Whereas, creating a sanctuary is a whole key feature for Snowy Escape.
  • Options
    Last time I checked, clothes and tiki bars weren't gameplay, but they still included them in the key features.

Well Island Living was already lacking in gameplay honestly but that's a whole different conversation.
  • Options

Because they did:

Yes, but creating "a rustic oasis with home objects" is a small part of this feature. Whereas, creating a sanctuary is a whole key feature for Snowy Escape.

You can play semantics if you want to, that's fine. I'm not sure what you want exactly. Skiing, snowboarding, hiking, and rock climbing, along with Japanese culture and traditions is obviously not enough for you.

But I can say this pack has held my attention far longer than Island Living. IL gameplay was as shallow as the waters of Sulani. That EP was a huge miss for me. So, obviously advertisements can be all hype, and at the end of the day, what matters is whether you like the gameplay being offered.

• Options
    And even better, look at all the gameplay features listed for Get Together. For $40 you can make clubs, do club activities IN those newly created clubs, and explore a new world. So basically, clubs and a new world. For $40....+

50598256392_5cacdc0df6_b.jpg

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    And even better, look at all the gameplay features listed for Get Together. For $40 you can make clubs, do club activities IN those newly created clubs, and explore a new world. So basically, clubs and a new world. For $40....+

Keep in mind that Get Together had to be delayed to add more content because it was so poorly received. People didn’t know what it was, and there wasn’t enough included for EA to even make sense of it in their trailers. Neat club system or not, it has never been worth $40.
  • Options

Keep in mind that Get Together had to be delayed to add more content because it was so poorly received. People didn’t know what it was, and there wasn’t enough included for EA to even make sense of it in their trailers. Neat club system or not, it has never been worth $40.

Interesting. I don't remember that. So what did they add? Because I can't think of anything else that pack contributes...

And Get to Work seems skimpy on the bullet points too. But that's because all the gameplay was thrown into the careers. Nevermind that it was a buggy mess. This time around with Snowy Escape, all the gameplay and animations were thrown into winter sports.

50598191836_e83702aacb_b.jpg

• Options
    AloeVistaAloeVista Posts: 326 Member

Yeah I have to agree with mccarty. Get Together was one of the EPs not worth $40. It was more worth a GP price tag of $20 as all it added was an okay club system (that incorporated skills and activities that were already part of the game), a buggy cafe bar, DJ booths and dance floors with some synchronized dance routines. Windenburg wasn't an interesting world at all to "explore," but at least it offered two large lot spaces to build on.

I do agree though that the worth of an EP is relative to the player. Personally I don't think any of the EPs so far (well except maybe Seasons) was worth $40. I haven't played the latest one to render judgement but considering the current track record it'll probably be just the same.

And as for key features, I don't even think EA knows what they're doing when it comes to creating "key features" for a game, let alone providing descriptions for them. This EP is clearly another cash grab for them, so they'll throw anything into the list at this point with little regard.
    rvbRMVD.jpg
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member

This^^^ Very excited about this pack, all of the above plus the snow stuff. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    After being on this forum for so long I hear the words "cash cow" and "cash grab" in my dreams now😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Even if it's patched in, it's still a feature of the pack, just like how lot traits are a feature of city living.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

Well Island Living was already lacking in gameplay honestly but that's a whole different conversation.

This one definitely has more gameplay than IL. And tbf, I really rather like IL.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I was watching Carl's Sim Guides' Snow Escape review and one thing that he pointed out was that one of the four key features of the pack is literally about... building a Japenese-inspired home.

iOkMDkz.png

Why on earth is this a key gameplay feature on its own? Every pack includes new build-mode items. It just seems like they did not have enough gameplay features to list. The pack seems to be lacking in gameplay.
    Also another note, why did they list "Sentiments" as being one of the main features of this pack when it's part of the Base Game update for free? :|

Because the expansion has its own sentiments that are not part of the base game update.
  • Options
    Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member

Maybe because people were actually asking for this type of architecture. I know lot of people said they choose asian style stuff in the survey they did. I don't think anyone was asking for Tudor inspired housing builds.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    The Sims 4 has basically evolved into a building simulator, nothing new there.

To be fair, the original Sims started as one.