Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feedback from Japanese Simmers: Request to make shrine worship optional

Comments

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,304 Member
    s1mszzang wrote: »
    CelSims wrote: »
    I saw on Plumbella's review that the animal rock statues have both a 'make an offering for good fortune to' and a 'bow' interaction. There is two shrines in debug and maybe they are on one of the other hiking trails. Maybe they will have the interactions like the statues.

Screenshot-20201031-112936-Edge.jpg

Are monkey heads are Japanese culture ?
  • Options
    blossoms85blossoms85 Posts: 27 Member
    I can answer that they are part of Japanese culture.
    There are many different types of these stone statues (Dōsojin), which can be just stones, old local gods or Buddhas. We offer offerings and prayers.Monkeys have been a sacred creature connecting gods and humans since ancient times, and they are the guardian gods of the mountains. Some shrines are dedicated to monkeys and there are many statues of monkeys in the shrine.
    It may seem strange that monkeys would be stone statues in the world of Sims, but we can imagine that they might be in Komorebi. "Three wise monkeys" will be welcomed by more people becose it exists all over the world.

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,304 Member
    blossoms85 wrote: »
    I can answer that they are part of Japanese culture.
    There are many different types of these stone statues (Dōsojin), which can be just stones, old local gods or Buddhas. We offer offerings and prayers.Monkeys have been a sacred creature connecting gods and humans since ancient times, and they are the guardian gods of the mountains. Some shrines are dedicated to monkeys and there are many statues of monkeys in the shrine.
    It may seem strange that monkeys would be stone statues in the world of Sims, but we can imagine that they might be in Komorebi. "Three wise monkeys" will be welcomed by more people becose it exists all over the world.

Okay,least they replaced it with something Japanese.Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 195 Member
    I suspected from the beginning that they removed the animation that played AUTONOMOUSLY , but we were still able to do it manually. They could have worded that better to avoid the (unnecessary) uproar to be honest but glad to see that they didn't remove anything from the game (aside from the nice fan pattern but oh well).
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,578 Member
    Specifically, Graham said the changes would be made by launch. The people with early access are not on final copies. It would have meant a lot to me to be able to keep the bowing animation for shrines just because it fits the whole zen/wellness theme I have for some of my sims. Bow to the shrine, plop down on the meditation stool and get all zen in a bamboo forest sounds pretty awesome. At the very least I hope we keep the shrines as decorative items.

Bowing in general is going to be really cool among sims but I wonder if it's only available for proper sims.
  • Options
    s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    edited November 2020
    There seem to be four places to bow.
    20201103-103443.jpg
    20201103-103542.jpg

1. Cave Shrine- The Shrine EA showed in the trailer.
    20201031-132704.jpg

2. Graveyard
    20201101-195907.jpg
    20201031-220415.jpg
    It doesn't seem like there's a separate way to bow, but it's like placing a gift and bowing at the same time.
    20201103-124626.jpg
    They(adult and child) are wearing that fan pattern(I said 'Fan' cuz I can even see "handle") clothes , so it sure is an original version game.
    That clothes is a debug item, so sims can buy it via vending machine.

3. Historic Shrine
    20201102-175031.jpg
    20201031-221324.jpg
    Looks like child can bow too.

4. Cave Statue(Monkey Statue)
    20201031-112337.jpg
    This one has a bow option but...
    20201031-112310.jpg
    Like graveyard, one of this statue seems like offering/making a wish(?) and bowing at the same time.

In addition to the above four, whenever the spirit suddenly appears, a bowing motion appears.
    20201103-124020.jpg
    20201103-124017.jpg
    LINK
    And platinumsimmer said we can collect spirits and hang them on the wall. LINK
    20201103-124013.jpg
    (They are just... too cute -_- I don't see anything terrible or offensive. )

"During hikes, Sims can encounter various spirits. Either Kodama or Forest Spririts. Kodama seem to be rarer than Forest spirits to encounter. And for the Forest Spirits there are a few different colours they come by.
    When you encounter them, Sims can try to collect them, or make a wish. Making a wish will sometimes give you a blessing. One of them even gave me some simoleons.
    Be careful, if you don’t manage to collect them, the spirits might get angry at you, resulting in a ‘curse’. But if you’re lucky, you’ve collected a spirit doll. There are 5 colours to collect: Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and White. These don’t show up in your Household Collections though."
    - quote link

The description above is the original version, before it was changed.
    Shrine culture seems to be the centerpiece of this expansion pack and the sprits and the bowing motion are related so closely and I am worried about how the game will be transformed as the motion of bowing or shrine itself is removed.
    Post edited by s1mszzang on
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Maybe our Sims can still bow at three out of four places? I'm reserving judgment until I find out what the final pack actually has, because all the gamechanger videos have confused me.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Geh, the fact that the Guru's are just remaining tight-lipped about the whole situation just makes this so much worse, they're not addressing fan concerns and are just hoping it all get's swept under the rug when people get bored or find something else to complain about. There is some shady stuff going on behind the scenes, and it's making my nose itch.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Geh, the fact that the Guru's are just remaining tight-lipped about the whole situation just makes this so much worse, they're not addressing fan concerns and are just hoping it all get's swept under the rug when people get bored or find something else to complain about. There is some shady stuff going on behind the scenes, and it's making my nose itch.

Yeah. Not only did the Gurus fail to choose Japanese simmers (or even simmers with an awareness of Japanese architecture) for the community-created lots, they're also ignoring direct input from Japanese simmers about the removal of cultural content.
  • Options

Yeah. Not only did the Gurus fail to choose Japanese simmers (or even simmers with an awareness of Japanese architecture) for the community-created lots, they're also ignoring direct input from Japanese simmers about the removal of cultural content.

Exactly, something isn't right. It's like they only did half of their research before bowing to an outrage mob. Like "ooh we can't be part of a scandal, so let's dig the hole deeper..."
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Confirmation that it wasn't an autonomous action, though. So ridiculous that they're removing something optional.

Being able to click an interaction doesn't mean it's not autonomous.
  • Options
    Nana_TNana_T Posts: 6 New Member
    https://i.imgur.com/NqQkHs7.png
    At least you can see a small company from the list of building items.
    I'm disappointed with EA's response this time around, so I'll stop buying it on the day of release and buy it once I'm sure I can visit the shrine at a later date.
  • Options
    Nana_TNana_T Posts: 6 New Member
    It translated to "small company."
    The word "shrine" is also called "YASHIRO" in Japanese, but since the Chinese character for "shrine" was "社", the DeepL translation software seems to have confused it with "company"(会社) which uses the same kanji.
    I'm sorry for the misleading expression due to an elementary mistake.
  • Options
    20201112-081142.jpg
    The 'bow' has changed to 'view together'.
  • Options
    20201112-081142.jpg

Imho, I think the "Take a selfie" option is more disrespectful than the "controversial" bowing option. I just, all of my whats. -_-
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    20201031-112337.jpg

20201112-094751.jpg
    NOT only that shrine, even monkey statue's bow motion is removed.

• Options
    20201031-112337.jpg

20201112-094751.jpg

Man, that is just such a let down. Looks like people are going to have to turn to a mod...for a simple action...omg... -_- All of my whats...
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    20201031-112337.jpg

20201112-094751.jpg

Man, that is just such a let down. Looks like people are going to have to turn to a mod...for a simple action...omg... -_- All of my whats...

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17713241#Comment_17713241

Before removal, it was possible to "bow" in five places(4+1), collect spirits, or make wishes, but now I don't know what else is being removed except "bow"

+)
    I didn't upload another picture here, but I also checked that the small wall hangings were modified. Given that, it is certain that the fan-shaped clothes have been modified as well. The clothes were Debug items made to be bought outdoors at the vending machine on the festival day, but I don't know if they were changed or if they got rid of the vending machine itself. And from the top link, it's definitely a fan, not a rising sun pattern, because I can see the "handle"
    20201112-103130.jpg
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I'm extremely disappointed that they have taken away our option to CHOOSE to have our sims bow. I could understand removing it autonomously but taking away the ability to choose is ridiculous.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited November 2020
    View? I want to greet the kami, not gawk at them.

And I can't even bow to the monkeys. :(
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    20201112-081142.jpg

Imho, I think the "Take a selfie" option is more disrespectful than the "controversial" bowing option. I just, all of my whats. -_-

I completely agree.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Gordy wrote: »
    "So yeah, Japanese fans. We're removing the bow interaction from shrines and rocks. A few Koreans complained that this aspect of your culture is problematic, and were going to side with them and not even listen to your views and concerns. Please don't complain about it, or we'll have to delete or hide your criticisms so you don't make us look bad. Thanks for letting us use your culture for profit, though!"

EA handled this horribly. I get why they listened to Koreans, but refusing to acknowledge the the other backlash is annoying. They didn't even give us some meaningless platitude about how they'll do better next time.

As I said in a previous comment "We can't be part of the controversy, we're digging this hole deeper so we can bury ourselves."
  • Options
    View? I want to greet the kami, not gawk at them.

And I can't even bow to the monkeys. :(

Same, it feels disrespectful to be unable to bow to the spirits. :-/
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    All I want is..EA wouldn't make excuses like they removed it for Korean users. Cuz I already showed local atmosphere at that time. We showed our support for new pack by pre-order it and we sent msgs saying don't listen to those a few patriots. They were the ones who even said that this was the good opportunity to make Japan look bad to worlds, regardless of the game. There is nothing wrong with shrine itself. I don't know why this nonsense is happening. Even Korean government names "a place for ancient King of Korea" as Jongmyo "Shrine" and lots of local politicians or Actors or Idols or just many students visit shrine in Japan. History changes according to the point of view and EA sticks to small part of patriots. I was also one of the simmers who bought in advance and tried to show the power of real simmers, unlike a few patriots. However, the reason for pre-order got disappeared and I applied for cancellation. :)