Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims not sitting to watch TV

Does anybody know if there is something I can do to get my sims to sit down when watching TV in TS4? It's honestly driving me crazy to the point I get so annoyed at the dumb AI and I quit playing the game. It's such a little detail I know but it's one that I find is really just bothering me so much at the moment. My sims will just stand behind or in front of the couch instead of just sitting on it and it's driving me crazy.

How does this kind of thing go unfixed for so long?

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,425 Member
    Did you place your couch with MOO? Heard sims sometimes cannot interact with objects if they are placed with MOO. I also heard that it's a bug, this and sims also not sitting down to eat. Anyway, I have a sim who prefers to get real close to the TV and watch it while sitting on his knees and another one who loves to eat while standing in front of the fridge. I put it down to personal quirks. :lol:
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    You can simply queue an action to sit down. I'm not sure if they'll stay put with autonomy on, because I always play with it off.
    I'm guessing this is a difficult thing to fix? Considering the whole sitting down interaction has been broken and fixed several times already.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Did you place your couch with MOO? Heard sims sometimes cannot interact with objects if they are placed with MOO. I also heard that it's a bug, this and sims also not sitting down to eat. Anyway, I have a sim who prefers to get real close to the TV and watch it while sitting on his knees and another one who loves to eat while standing in front of the fridge. I put it down to personal quirks. :lol:

I think the couch was originally placed with MOO cause I downloaded it from the gallery but I've already moved and placed the couch normally myself without MOO so I don't think that's the issue.
    MDianaSims wrote: »
    You can simply queue an action to sit down. I'm not sure if they'll stay put with autonomy on, because I always play with it off.
    I'm guessing this is a difficult thing to fix? Considering the whole sitting down interaction has been broken and fixed several times already.

But why is it a difficult thing to fix? The developers are supposed to be professionals at this kind of thing. The clearly can make these things work right as they have done in the past. I've been playing the Sims 3 lately and the sims always sit down to watch tv or eat in that game.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,425 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

I think the couch was originally placed with MOO cause I downloaded it from the gallery but I've already moved and placed the couch normally myself without MOO so I don't think that's the issue.

Do the sims use the couch otherwise for other activities?
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Do the sims use the couch otherwise for other activities?

Yeah they do sit on it sometimes and even very occasionally I've have had them sit to watch TV it's just that most of the time they don't. I've tried moving all the surrounding furniture items in case anything was causing an obstruction but nothing seems to fix the issue.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,555 Member
    I think you just have to put up with it until it is fixed (if ever).

I just tell them to sit down myself, but I agree it is very annoying. It's like the getting up from your meal to hug someone or the switching of chairs to be closer to whoever they are talking to. Grrrr.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Not only do my Sims stand while watching tv, but in many cases, also while eating--rather than commanding them to sit, I just let them do their own thing. I don't think there's a fix for that, it's built into the autonomy
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,555 Member
    Not only do my Sims stand while watching tv, but in many cases, also while eating--rather than commanding them to sit, I just let them do their own thing. I don't think there's a fix for that, it's built into the autonomy
    OMG yes... standing by the fridge to eat when the darn table and chairs is two steps away. How could I have forgotten that!
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I found that if the TV is one of the more expensive ones they will always sit down (unless there is a party of some sort). I don't know why. It doesn't make sense. The eating thing... I don't even know what is up with that. The only times my Sims sit down to eat is during a party or if I direct them to.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Is the sofa reasonably close to the TV? Sometimes I've noticed they won't sit if the sofa's a fair distance away but usually they sit just fine. Maybe that's got something to do with it?
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    joRN1414 wrote: »
    I found that if the TV is one of the more expensive ones they will always sit down (unless there is a party of some sort). I don't know why. It doesn't make sense. The eating thing... I don't even know what is up with that. The only times my Sims sit down to eat is during a party or if I direct them to.

I think it must be an expensive TV, it's a big TV although not the huge cinema size one.
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Is the sofa reasonably close to the TV? Sometimes I've noticed they won't sit if the sofa's a fair distance away but usually they sit just fine. Maybe that's got something to do with it?

Oh I'll try moving it closer to the TV and see if it makes a difference. It's a big TV so might look a bit weird with them sitting close to it. :D
  • Options
    S3bSterS3bSter Posts: 32 Member
    edited September 2020
    I have had this issue on the PS4 since the July 2020 update.

I have to force them to sit down whereas before that update they would sit down once they turned the TV on.

I now post on the forum while this happening to save my own time... 😂

Sofa is two squares / rows away from TV.
    (Yeah, my sims are blind) 😂

• Options
    LouciferLoucifer Posts: 199 Member
    not sure if this is relevant or helps but noticed in my game if i put the rocking chair in living room sims tend to favor it over any other chair if you tell them to watch TV maybe the code got scrambled when knitting pack was put in
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny
    Thomas Jefferson (3rd US President)
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    Why sit to watch TV when you could take a loading screen - sorry - journey, to Baatu.

:(
  • Options
    Why sit to watch TV when you could take a loading screen - sorry - journey, to Baatu.

:(

I'm saving my sims from the disappointment of that pack by not buying it.
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I cant get movies to progress when watching, whether its one Sim or more. None of her furniture was placed using MOO, I thought it was previously fixed. And I see a new patch is here but I cant find it.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Does anybody know if there is something I can do to get my sims to sit down when watching TV in TS4? It's honestly driving me crazy to the point I get so annoyed at the dumb AI and I quit playing the game. It's such a little detail I know but it's one that I find is really just bothering me so much at the moment. My sims will just stand behind or in front of the couch instead of just sitting on it and it's driving me crazy.

@Sharonia I think there is a bug for when sims should sit and they stand. May be related to the sims standing in front of the fridge eating instead of sitting at the table, etc.

I just think that EL patch broke tons of things that were fixed with earlier patches and the EA team is working to diagnose what went wrong and fix it. The fact that it hasn't been patch is an indication that it is quite a big problem or an inter-related problem. I just browse the EA bug reports here and there to see the progress.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    troshalom wrote: »

@Sharonia I think there is a bug for when sims should sit and they stand. May be related to the sims standing in front of the fridge eating instead of sitting at the table, etc.

I just think that EL patch broke tons of things that were fixed with earlier patches and the EA team is working to diagnose what went wrong and fix it. The fact that it hasn't been patch is an indication that it is quite a big problem or an inter-related problem. I just browse the EA bug reports here and there to see the progress.

Yeah I don't remember it always being this way, it's really been driving me crazy the last few times I played. I'm taking a break from TS4 until they fix the game. I just wish they would hurry up with it. It's like they forgot it even has bugs. They were to busy making rubbish packs that nobody asked for.