Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR Nifty Knitting Review

Comments

• Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I couldn't finish this. His tone is snotty and condescending from the get-go, and I am disinclined to fight through his lousy attitude to sift out any actually useful information.

Is he always like this? Must be a lot of fun at parties.

I agree. His earlier reviews of the Sims 4 packs were less cringe-y. Either he's jumping on the bandwagon or others are jumping on with him in just crapping on everything this franchise puts out. Either way, I am tired of him and others like him. If you don't like the game, don't play it. Do you have to take the enjoyment out of everyone who does?

@summertaffy68 Take the enjoyment out of everyone? He's a reviewer, he makes reviews, he critiques games and people watch him for it. I swear smh people don't get that.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited August 2020
    The stuff packs whole contents pretty big when you add all the stuff you can make and sell B)
    the last three packs have been great for me <3

can't wait for the next GP and EP
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Tenchi2aTenchi2a Posts: 105 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Tenchi2a wrote: »
    Justin wrote: »
    Reading all these dense opinions defending this pack is a good laugh. They are totally missing the point that the ones who see what this game is becoming are trying to make .

Edited to not fancy anyone’s feelings ;)

I commonly disagree with opinions on this site (and others), and i'm not shy when it comes to confrontation. But at least I can say that I still treat people with respect. I can't say the same for you. Name calling ("brain dead"), and character labeling (being of... dense opinions) are attitudes I can't defend.

People, regardless of their opinions, are not "brain dead". Nor are their opinions "dense". Having you suggest otherwise, says more about you, than the people you are insulting.

Try creating a post explaining your issue with the comments..... what don't you agree with? Why do you think they are wrong? What exactly is your problem? Give people a chance to understand your side of the story, and a chance to explain better their side.

Its called a conversation (debate).

1+ You’re right. Sometimes the truth hurts and it’s better to sugar coat everything . Also, respect is earned not given . People have the right to their opinions & at the end of the day this is the internet. You’re gonna have people disagree & call it out how it is. I’m not going to continue going back & forth with people who are have difficulties realizing the truth . But thanks for your thoughts. I will sleep better at night now <3

I disagree that respect needs to be earned. I believe it should be given to everyone and that everyone deserves to be respected.

They may be able to lose respect later, calling people braindead or dense would be a good way to lose that respect, but to start with everyone should be given it and having a different opinion or enjoying something many dislike would not in the slightest be a reason to lose respect for someone. I only lose respect for people who bully, name call, troll or act in another disrepectful manner themselves.

It seems you don't realize what the word respect means.

Respect: a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

This is earned not give by definition.

What you are describing is courtesy.

Courtesy: the showing of politeness in one's attitude and behavior toward others.
    This should be given not earned.

I can be courteous to you without having respect for your opinions or position on a subject.

Well, aren't you a practitioner of technicality? Ok, fair enough. Lets play that game.

You do know that a dictionary is nothing more than a collection of generally accepted terms.... right? And NOT a bible of what is absolutely correct under that law?

"Respect" .... is an emotional activity.... such as love, compassion, hate, or contempt..... which may be freely given, or freely expected.

I haven't yet come across a book, including dictionaries you are citing, that suggest that "respect must be "earned", or in any way paid for.

I don't agree with your claim that "my" respect must be earned before I offer it to other people.

If you are someone who feels that "your" respect must be earned before being offered... fair enough. That's your choice. But don't explain your personal choice as being born from a generally accepted norm of social economic consensus.

The dictionary is the definition of words and and how they are used in the English language.
    it is not a guide that you throw away because you want to use the word your way.
    If you tried this line in a college English class you would fail.

But, I'm not going to argue this anymore. If you are fine with using the word the wrong way and believing that the English language is your to butcher as you see fit, have at it.

• Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited August 2020
    Reading all these dense opinions defending this pack is a good laugh. They are totally missing the point that the ones who see what this game is becoming are trying to make .

I commonly disagree with opinions on this site (and others), and i'm not shy when it comes to confrontation. But at least I can say that I still treat people with respect. I can't say the same for you. Name calling ("brain dead"), and character labeling (being of... dense opinions) are attitudes I can't defend.

People, regardless of their opinions, are not "brain dead". Nor are their opinions "dense". Having you suggest otherwise, says more about you, than the people you are insulting.

Try creating a post explaining your issue with the comments..... what don't you agree with? Why do you think they are wrong? What exactly is your problem? Give people a chance to understand your side of the story, and a chance to explain better their side.

1+ You’re right. Sometimes the truth hurts and it’s better to sugar coat everything . Also, respect is earned not given . People have the right to their opinions & at the end of the day this is the internet. You’re gonna have people disagree & call it out how it is. I’m not going to continue going back & forth with people who are have difficulties realizing the truth . But thanks for your thoughts. I will sleep better at night now <3

I disagree that respect needs to be earned. I believe it should be given to everyone and that everyone deserves to be respected.

They may be able to lose respect later, calling people braindead or dense would be a good way to lose that respect, but to start with everyone should be given it and having a different opinion or enjoying something many dislike would not in the slightest be a reason to lose respect for someone. I only lose respect for people who bully, name call, troll or act in another disrepectful manner themselves.

Respect: a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

Courtesy: the showing of politeness in one's attitude and behavior toward others.

I can be courteous to you without having respect for your opinions or position on a subject.

Well, aren't you a practitioner of technicality? Ok, fair enough. Lets play that game.

You do know that a dictionary is nothing more than a collection of generally accepted terms.... right? And NOT a bible of what is absolutely correct under that law?

"Respect" .... is an emotional activity.... such as love, compassion, hate, or contempt..... which may be freely given, or freely expected.

I haven't yet come across a book, including dictionaries you are citing, that suggest that "respect must be "earned", or in any way paid for.

I don't agree with your claim that "my" respect must be earned before I offer it to other people.

If you are someone who feels that "your" respect must be earned before being offered... fair enough. That's your choice. But don't explain your personal choice as being born from a generally accepted norm of social economic consensus.

The dictionary is the definition of words and and how they are used in the English language.
    it is not a guide that you throw away because you want to use the word your way.

But, I'm not going to argue this anymore. If you are fine with using the word the wrong way and believing that the English language is your to butcher as you see fit, have at it.

Respect, as defined in the Oxford English Dictionary, regarded as the premier source in English-speaking academia.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/respect_1

I'll direct you to definition two, which you're conveniently omitting in the interest of pursuing a line of argument:

respect (for somebody/something) polite behavior toward or care for someone or something that you think is important

So while you are correct in your assertion regarding the term respect, muzickmage is also correct in their assertion. Word can and do mean different things depending on the context, and muzickmage employed the term in the correctly. What any of this has to do with the crux of the word of the One True YouTuber is beyond me, but it was evidently important enough to dedicate multiple lines of argumentation.
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited August 2020

I'm sorry. Did someone teach you at some point in your life that the English language is subject to copyright laws? Language.... such as English, is constantly changing, and is constantly being examined and updated in the dictionaries we use to help us maintain a general interpretation.

It's ok to use a dictionary to keep up with generally accepted terms and definitions, but shouldn't be used as a tool to deny other cultural, or personal choices, especially when adopted in defense of other people's social well being.

To offer an example. The work "sick" in a dictionary would offer an interpretation relating to illness. But, a minority group.... such as a street gang, or perhaps someone of goth practices.... may use the word "sick" to mean something completely different.... despite what a dictionary might teach. (ie; wow, that song was sick)

There are many words in the English language that may be used, and generally accepted amongst minority groups as having a particular definition or interpretation which the dictionary of today may not represent or teach. As I suggested before, the dictionary isn't a bible of what is absolutely correct under the law. At best, it's just a guide to help us keep up with what is "generally accepted".

However, the issue here isn't a dictionary's shared content, explaining words such as "car", "guitar", "computer", or ideas such as "cat", "dog", "elephant", etc, etc......

..... You're using a dictionary to define, and explain "human emotion" and it's activities. To use a dictionary to suggest, or teach, that "love" (for example) should be earned, and not freely given, or that compassion should be earned, or hatred, or contempt..... or "respect".....

Again, i'm sorry, but even if you found a dictionary that suggested a generally accepted belief that any emotional activity should be earn, not just freely given... a dictionary (to explain again) isn't a book of laws and/or policies, I don't have to accept these beliefs.

Or... said another way....
    .... Though a dictionary may attempt the task of defining the emotional activity of "respect" (or any other emotion). A dictionary isn't a court issued book of law telling us how that emotional activity must be exercised. We each, as individuals, have the personal freedom to choose how we treat other people.

If I choose to respect people, who did nothing to earn my respect, that's exactly what i'm going to do.... despite what your dictionary may teach in it's attempt to define the very emotional activity I am exercising.

In ending, I hope you continue to enjoy your dictionary.
  • Options
    (In other news, it's rumored that somewhere on planet earth another cat may have gotten stuck in a tree. Again. This is just a rumor. Nobody panic.)

After reading people's comments about LGR's review, i'm not sure what the core argument is. Is it his opinion, or the way he chose to express it?

It's sometimes difficult to take someone serious, or see the message someone is trying to share when we are feeling insulted or discouraged by the way they may have shared that message. It's even worse when that message seems to contradict our own ideas.

People don't generally respond well to being told to change their mind. And most likely won't examine their own beliefs when the idea of doing so is being offered in a way that makes them uncomfortable.

So, i'm a bit curious here. What is the issue with LGR's review. His opinion, or the way he shared it?
  • Options

People don't generally respond well to being told to change their mind. And most likely won't examine their own beliefs when the idea of doing so is being offered in a way that makes them uncomfortable.

@muzickmage Yes, this is very true we did that in psychology class. In short the theory says that when people have a certain opinion about one thing and they are presented with an arguement that contradicts that opinion then they react by trying to weaken the other person's opinion or by trying to relativize it. That happens because changing your own estabilished opinion requires more mental energy than just trying to weaken the opposing opinion and as humans we naturally tend to avoid making an effort to change our opinion because it tires us out. We prefer to have a peace of mind.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

I'm sorry. Did someone teach you at some point in your life that the English language is subject to copyright laws? Language.... such as English, is constantly changing, and is constantly being examined and updated in the dictionaries we use to help us maintain a general interpretation.

It's ok to use a dictionary to keep up with generally accepted terms and definitions, but shouldn't be used as a tool to deny other cultural, or personal choices, especially when adopted in defense of other people's social well being.

To offer an example. The work "sick" in a dictionary would offer an interpretation relating to illness. But, a minority group.... such as a street gang, or perhaps someone of goth practices.... may use the word "sick" to mean something completely different.... despite what a dictionary might teach. (ie; wow, that song was sick)

There are many words in the English language that may be used, and generally accepted amongst minority groups as having a particular definition or interpretation which the dictionary of today may not represent or teach. As I suggested before, the dictionary isn't a bible of what is absolutely correct under the law. At best, it's just a guide to help us keep up with what is "generally accepted".

However, the issue here isn't a dictionary's shared content, explaining words such as "car", "guitar", "computer", or ideas such as "cat", "dog", "elephant", etc, etc......

..... You're using a dictionary to define, and explain "human emotion" and it's activities. To use a dictionary to suggest, or teach, that "love" (for example) should be earned, and not freely given, or that compassion should be earned, or hatred, or contempt..... or "respect".....

Again, i'm sorry, but even if you found a dictionary that suggested a generally accepted belief that any emotional activity should be earn, not just freely given... a dictionary (to explain again) isn't a book of laws and/or policies, I don't have to accept these beliefs.

Or... said another way....
    .... Though a dictionary may attempt the task of defining the emotional activity of "respect" (or any other emotion). A dictionary isn't a court issued book of law telling us how that emotional activity must be exercised. We each, as individuals, have the personal freedom to choose how we treat other people.

If I choose to respect people, who did nothing to earn my respect, that's exactly what i'm going to do.... despite what your dictionary may teach in it's attempt to define the very emotional activity I am exercising.

In ending, I hope you continue to enjoy your dictionary.

The word for this is "slang".
    As you said, while it is excepted by a minority group, it does not make it the definition of the word.

And even OEII1001 "Respect (for somebody/something) polite behavior toward or care for someone or something that you think is important. doesn't make it a mandatory thing for everyone.

I am in no way saying that you can't give blind respect to someone if you want, but this was in response to the OP (on respect) stating that you must give it as it is expected.

That said this is detracting from the main part of my post which I will repeat hear.

I happen to agree with LGR 100% on this review.
    That said I didn't come to my decision not to by the SP just on his say so.
    In fact I have not bought a EP/GP/SP for full price since Strangerville (P.S. Roosterteeth should sue for that one)
    And have not bought a single SP since "My first pet".
    I have also never bought "Toddler Stuff" due to most if not all of it being something that should have been in the base game

The reason for this is I refuse to open my wallet and give EA money for ripping us off.
    This has been an ongoing theme with the Sims 4 of taking Sims 3 EP cutting out up to 70% of their content and selling them as as full EP with 30% of the Sims 3 content then selling the remaining content as SP or just leaving it out altogether.
    This SP is more of the same "Here's the first of many watered-down hobby SP that could have been in a larger EP but we can make more money on them if we split them up".
    As I believe was LGR's point in the review, EA has trained Simmers at this point to expect lackluster to downright bad content and be ecstatic when they get midland to OK content.
    Overall, the content has in Sims 4 has ranged from better then average (For the Sims series) to downright bad. Yet most game-changers and a good deal of the Simmers praise it, while paying full price for half or less of the content.
    The point I am making and I believe LGR was trying to convey, is that if we keep doing this EA will keep reducing content more and more.
    And just to be clear, this is not just a problem with EA (though they are one of the top ones) it been happening all over gaming for a few years now.

So this one will be on the if it get down to 50%+ off I may buy it list.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member

Now on to the response.
    In fact I have not bought a EP/GP/SP for full price since Strangerville (P.S. Roosterteeth should sue for that one)
    And have not bought a SP since "My first pet".

The reason for this is I refuse to open my wallet and give EA money for ripping us off.
    This has been an ongoing theme with the Sims 4 of taking Sims 3 EP cutting out up to 70% of their content and selling them as as full EP with 30% of the Sims 3 content then selling the remaining content as SP or just leaving it out altogether.
    This SP is more of the same "Here's the first of many watered-down hobby SP that could have been in a larger EP but we can make more money on them if we split them up".

I see that you took one definition of respect, while ignoring others. If you really want to look up the technical definition, right under the first one you googled it says "2. due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others."

And yes, EVERYONE deserves respect (regard for their feelings and wishes etc) off the bat.

But okay let's go with igoring half the the definition and settle on your definition only... I still give admiration to someone based on their qualities from the get go, because I assume that they have good qualities until they have proven otherwise.

Respect should be given to everyone, and so should courtesy.
  • Options
    (In other news, it's rumored that somewhere on planet earth another cat may have gotten stuck in a tree. Again. This is just a rumor. Nobody panic.)

After reading people's comments about LGR's review, i'm not sure what the core argument is. Is it his opinion, or the way he chose to express it?

It's sometimes difficult to take someone serious, or see the message someone is trying to share when we are feeling insulted or discouraged by the way they may have shared that message. It's even worse when that message seems to contradict our own ideas.

So, i'm a bit curious here. What is the issue with LGR's review. His opinion, or the way he shared it?

I'm guessing that there isn't one core argument. Some people like him for his opinions, some for entertainment, and it's the same with people who don't enjoy the reviews. Different people have different reasons for not liking his reviews. For myself personally it's a mixture of reasons.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Even IF this is a first of a split up "hobby" pack... do you actually end up paying more? Really? Expansion packs are $40. 4 separate hobby packs then also equal $40... I'm not seeing this argument as valid. I think some people are forgetting that we voted on this. The community did this "money grab".
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Camkat wrote: »
    Even IF this is a first of a split up "hobby" pack... do you actually end up paying more? Really? Expansion packs are $40. 4 separate hobby packs then also equal $40... I'm not seeing this argument as valid. I think some people are forgetting that we voted on this. The community did this "money grab".

@Camkat Again I'm sure if we had the option to choose if the Art and Crafts pack was going to be an expansion pack or a stuff pack I'm sure many would have chosen it to be a bigger pack. But you see they don't give us that option.

Also no. Free Time for example was a hobby pack and it didn't come with just 4 hobbies. It came with more. It also came with a new neighborhood, new aspirations, genies, a new "enthusiasm" system for hobbies (which made each sim have interest in different hobbies), new carreers, new NPCs, new foods, new video games, new TV channel and a new radio station.
    So no, buying 4 stuff packs with a hobby each is not the same as buying an actual hobbies expansion pack.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Well, I can't say I disagree with some of what he said. I don't care about the pack honestly. LGR and a few others I kinda keep tabs on when a new pack comes out but lately I've been forgetting. I can't say it's all on my feelings for The Sims 4, it's been a rough year for me and the past couple of weeks especially have been hard but even before this year while I said I'd keep tabs on The Sims 4 to see if there were any improvements that could change my mind the game has become increasingly forgettable to me after time and time again looking and read up on a new pack or patch and realizing that no, there is no improvement.

It has overstayed it's welcome with me. Besides money, I still can't figure out why of any iteration of The Sims this is the one that had to last the longest. I'm not saying that because Sims 3 or Sims 2 should've been the one in my eyes, neither of them should've lasted this long either and clearly they didn't, but if any Sims game were going to last 6+ years I would've hoped it'd be the game they do the best. Sims on point. Worlds/neighborhood on point. Staying on top of bugs. More innovation. Very few to no steps back if possible. Expansions that are fulfilling every time. Modders and CC creators that aren't needed because of something lacking or something not fixed.

I know some people think some of us hate just to hate but I've said it before and I'll say it again, what fun do we get out of hating on this game? Does anyone really want to hate part of a franchise they love? Does anyone really want to hate something they've spent money on? Even with some of the most angry outburst about there's generally a reason behind the anger and frustration. In LGR's case I guess you could say for his snark and clear irritation you can find the reason behind it in that 2 Years of Meh video. Some of our biggest problems that we've mentioned here for nearly 6 years have even been talked about in critical videos from the most popular and beloved of game changers lately too and they aren't getting as many eyerolls and complaints about complaining as we who aren't game changers have gotten over the years saying the same things.

For as much as my issue is with EA for the how the game is, I also have frustration with some players and fans too and I'm not going to bother going into detail like I have before but it's a combination of things that led us to where we are today and enough blame to go around for different reasons (and let me just add if you like the game and truly see nothing wrong with it, I'm not talking about you) but the bottom line when it comes to my frustration with some players/fans, too much is given a pass or ignored for the sake of simply having the game and yes, even people who love the game have admittedly let things slide or ignored things because they didn't see it as a big deal originally, thought people were overreacting, or it didn't affect them before but now it's become a more obvious issue to them. I've said this before too but they're not going to learn anything if people will complain but still buy and make excuses for buying it. Nor will they learn anything if so many people are still willing to buy and just rely on mods a CC to fix and improve what EA should be fixing and improving to the point that some even don't remember the problems still exist until it's patch day.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to spend their money or come down hard on anyone but as a community of people who all love the same franchise we could do better listening to each other, sticking together more despite which side of the fence we fall on, and keeping on EA to make them do better by all of us. Someone wanting the game to be better for them doesn't necessarily mean they want the game to be worse for you. They just want to enjoy it too.

And before anyone gets started, yes, some people may never enjoy it the way they want or hope to but is that really a reason not to push for improvement?
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options

Now on to the response.

I see that you took one definition of respect, while ignoring others. If you really want to look up the technical definition, right under the first one you googled it says "2. due regard for the feelings, wishes, rights, or traditions of others."

And yes, EVERYONE deserves respect (regard for their feelings and wishes etc) off the bat.

But okay let's go with igoring half the the definition and settle on your definition only... I still give admiration to someone based on their qualities from the get go, because I assume that they have good qualities until they have proven otherwise.

Funny outside of the two definition that have already been discussed
    1.a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
    2. polite behavior toward or care for someone or something that you think is important.

The definition you provided only shows in two sources the LEXICO and the Stanford athletics association ethics site.
    Neither are official scholastic dictionaries.

Again my point is that to me and most if not all people I have met in my 40+ years of life respect is earned and that will always be the case to me, but if you just want to give it out that's up to you.
    Just don't go claiming that everyone needs to follow your example.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Now on to the response.

1.a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
    2. polite behavior toward or care for someone or something that you think is important.

The definition you provided only shows in two sources the LEXICO and the Stanford athletics association ethics site.

Again my point is that to me and most if not all people I have met in my 40+ years of life respect is earned and that will always be the case to me, but if you just want to give it out that's up to you.

Fair enough then. Have it your way. For you, i'll adopt your way of life.

You will get my respect when you earn it. Till then.... you will go without.

I would say ... have fun with that. But I trust you won't.

But then again. Treat others as you wish to be treated doesn't exist for you... so also fair enough.

For your peace of mind, I hope others don't adopt this attitude as well. Because i'm not sure how many other people's respect you've earned so far. And by your rules.... if you didn't earn it yet.... well. You know the story.

Social politics.... crazy game isn't it?
  • Options

@Camkat Again I'm sure if we had the option to choose if the Art and Crafts pack was going to be an expansion pack or a stuff pack I'm sure many would have chosen it to be a bigger pack. But you see they don't give us that option.

Also no. Free Time for example was a hobby pack and it didn't come with just 4 hobbies. It came with more. It also came with a new neighborhood, new aspirations, genies, a new "enthusiasm" system for hobbies (which made each sim have interest in different hobbies), new carreers, new NPCs, new foods, new video games, new TV channel and a new radio station.
    So no, buying 4 stuff packs with a hobby each is not the same as buying an actual hobbies expansion pack.

Only thing is though, we don't get nearly anything near what we got in TS2 in terms of packs. They started whittling them down in TS3 and kept right on going with TS4. You can't except we'd get anything near the free time quality people want these days. Now I'm sure your right that 4 stuff packs won't equal one expansion, there would be more in the expansion. It would be no FreeTime though. Those days are long gone. :(

There still would be people that don't mind buying them all separately to "customize" their game, and there will be those that want a full pack. I just don't think that a full pack would have everything people hope and dream anyways, because, Sims 4.
  • Options

Now on to the response.

But then again. Treat others as you wish to be treated doesn't exist for you... so also fair enough.

For your peace of mind, I hope others don't adopt this attitude as well. Because i'm not sure how many other people's respect you've earned so far. And by your rules.... if you didn't earn it yet.... well. You know the story.

Again you seem to think that have not earned respect in my eyes means that courtesy is not due.
    As I have said they are two different things so that is not the case.
    But if you want to think they are one and the same that's up to you.
    I have also said multiple times at this point live how you want to live it's none of my business, just don't try to tell me how to live.

I have lived a happy life and will continue to do so with or without your respect since I am not seeking it.
    Have a nice day telling others how to live their lives, just don't think they have to follow what you say.
  • Options

Now on to the response.

This haha.

@Tenchi2a I prefer people to respect me than to call me names and bully me. So that's how I'll treat others. The golden rule, treat others how you want to be treated. If you think it's appropriate to call people "braindead" that you don't know just because they like a different game than you (how the topic got started here), or for that matter for no reason at all but just because they haven't gotten to know you yet in order to earn respect, then you'll have to expect people to treat you the same way, I guess.

It's sad to hear that people out there are raised thinking they don't deserve respect unless they do something to earn it though. No wonder so many people are despressed nowadays. I totallly get people who lose respect for someone who is bullying, trolling and being disrepectful to them, but to be downright rude and call strangers braindead and disrespect them when they haven't done anything to you just because they haven't known you long enough to earn your respect yet, yeah, that doesn't seem right to me. Sorry but I respect myself enough to NOT try and go out of my way to earn respect from the people doing that just so I can be treated politely by them.

• Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Well, I can't say I disagree with some of what he said. I don't care about the pack honestly. LGR and a few others I kinda keep tabs on when a new pack comes out but lately I've been forgetting. I can't say it's all on my feelings for The Sims 4, it's been a rough year for me and the past couple of weeks especially have been hard but even before this year while I said I'd keep tabs on The Sims 4 to see if there were any improvements that could change my mind the game has become increasingly forgettable to me after time and time again looking and read up on a new pack or patch and realizing that no, there is no improvement.

It has overstayed it's welcome with me. Besides money, I still can't figure out why of any iteration of The Sims this is the one that had to last the longest. I'm not saying that because Sims 3 or Sims 2 should've been the one in my eyes, neither of them should've lasted this long either and clearly they didn't, but if any Sims game were going to last 6+ years I would've hoped it'd be the game they do the best. Sims on point. Worlds/neighborhood on point. Staying on top of bugs. More innovation. Very few to no steps back if possible. Expansions that are fulfilling every time. Modders and CC creators that aren't needed because of something lacking or something not fixed.

I know some people think some of us hate just to hate but I've said it before and I'll say it again, what fun do we get out of hating on this game? Does anyone really want to hate part of a franchise they love? Does anyone really want to hate something they've spent money on? Even with some of the most angry outburst about there's generally a reason behind the anger and frustration. In LGR's case I guess you could say for his snark and clear irritation you can find the reason behind it in that 2 Years of Meh video. Some of our biggest problems that we've mentioned here for nearly 6 years have even been talked about in critical videos from the most popular and beloved of game changers lately too and they aren't getting as many eyerolls and complaints about complaining as we who aren't game changers have gotten over the years saying the same things.

For as much as my issue is with EA for the how the game is, I also have frustration with some players and fans too and I'm not going to bother going into detail like I have before but it's a combination of things that led us to where we are today and enough blame to go around for different reasons (and let me just add if you like the game and truly see nothing wrong with it, I'm not talking about you) but the bottom line when it comes to my frustration with some players/fans, too much is given a pass or ignored for the sake of simply having the game and yes, even people who love the game have admittedly let things slide or ignored things because they didn't see it as a big deal originally, thought people were overreacting, or it didn't affect them before but now it's become a more obvious issue to them. I've said this before too but they're not going to learn anything if people will complain but still buy and make excuses for buying it. Nor will they learn anything if so many people are still willing to buy and just rely on mods a CC to fix and improve what EA should be fixing and improving to the point that some even don't remember the problems still exist until it's patch day.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to spend their money or come down hard on anyone but as a community of people who all love the same franchise we could do better listening to each other, sticking together more despite which side of the fence we fall on, and keeping on EA to make them do better by all of us. Someone wanting the game to be better for them doesn't necessarily mean they want the game to be worse for you. They just want to enjoy it too.

And before anyone gets started, yes, some people may never enjoy it the way they want or hope to but is that really a reason not to push for improvement?

Agreed <3.
  • Options

Only thing is though, we don't get nearly anything near what we got in TS2 in terms of packs. They started whittling them down in TS3 and kept right on going with TS4. You can't except we'd get anything near the free time quality people want these days. Now I'm sure your right that 4 stuff packs won't equal one expansion, there would be more in the expansion. It would be no FreeTime though. Those days are long gone. :(

There still would be people that don't mind buying them all separately to "customize" their game, and there will be those that want a full pack. I just don't think that a full pack would have everything people hope and dream anyways, because, Sims 4.

Yeah that's fair. Personally I also kind of feel like if they made a hobbies pack they would just put 3-4 random hobbies in there and call it a day, it doesn't mean I believe this is how they should do it but judging by the packs we got in the past I guess it would be that way.
    I still hope for really good EPs 'cause I actually really like some, like Seasons and Get Famous. I hope they try to step it up again.
  • Options

Yeah that's fair. Personally I also kind of feel like if they made a hobbies pack they would just put 3-4 random hobbies in there and call it a day, it doesn't mean I believe this is how they should do it but judging by the packs we got in the past I guess it would be that way.
    I still hope for really good EPs 'cause I actually really like some, like Seasons and Get Famous. I hope they try to step it up again.

I really wish they would prove me wrong someday and release a good value pack that doesn't require us waiting 3+ months for bug fixes.

I haven't bought Nifty Knitting, I've said before, and I likely won't just because it doesn't interest me. However, if I had been interested in this, it does seem like a pretty good pack. I'm still interested in the metal station and plopsy but those 2 things aren't worth $10! (At least not to me) and with EL, Tiny Living and Uni, I'm not sure I need more knits CAS. If it went half off I'd consider it then.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Now on to the response.

This haha.

@Tenchi2a I prefer people to respect me than to call me names and bully me. So that's how I'll treat others. The golden rule, treat others how you want to be treated. If you think it's appropriate to call people "braindead" that you don't know just because they like a different game than you (how the topic got started here), or for that matter for no reason at all but just because they haven't gotten to know you yet in order to earn respect, then you'll have to expect people to treat you the same way, I guess.

It's sad to hear that people out there are raised thinking they don't deserve respect unless they do something to earn it though. No wonder so many people are despressed nowadays. I totallly get people who lose respect for someone who is bullying, trolling and being disrepectful to them, but to be downright rude and call strangers braindead and disrespect them when they haven't done anything to you just because they haven't known you long enough to earn your respect yet, yeah, that doesn't seem right to me. Sorry but I respect myself enough to NOT try and go out of my way to earn respect from the people doing that just so I can be treated politely by them.

Again you seem to miss the part about courtesy.
    I never said it was OK to call someone "brain-dead" that is not courteous.
    Their is a differences between not having earned respect yet and being treated rudely or insulted.
    I don't have to have respect for someone to treat them with courtesy.
    I was never defending the poster that insulted you and made no indication that I was.
    I was merely pointing out that there was a differences between respect and courtesy.
    In thus I was addressing you comments about respect not being earned but being required, not defending the posters actions.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    edited August 2020

Now on to the response.

Again you seem to think that have not earned respect in my eyes means that courtesy is not due.

@Tenchi2a, sorry for butting in, but what about this:

I’m about to enter a busy train station. There’s a woman pushing a buggy with a toddler and all her shopping bags in it, behind me. I don’t know her. What I do know is that her hands are full, because not only is she pushing a buggy, she’s also carrying a tiny dog in a bag.
    Me? I’m only carrying one laptop bag strapped across my chest, hands free. You know the kind.

Out of respect for my fellow beings, because hey, we kinda share the same space and stuff, I have the courtesy to open the door for her and her toddler and her doggie. It’s an old station, so they’re not automatic doors.
    It’s much easier for me to open the door and keep it open, than it is for the woman to open the door. Or the kid. Or the dog. Because the dog is in a bag. It’s not even trained to stand on its own feet, let alone open doors.

Anyway. If I didn’t respect them as fellow beings, I probably wouldn’t have had the courtesy to open the door for them. I’d have entered the station and disregard anyone in front or behind me. Shut the door without even looking. Woman and kid and dog struggling to get inside all they like I couldn’t care less.Even if they were about to miss the train.

What if I was late for my train? I’d still respect them enough (because fellow beings) to have the courtesy to hold the door open for them. Because they are, after all, solid, emotional beings and getting a door in your face hurts. I know it does.

Do respect and courtesy not kind of go hand in hand? Should respect not be there before courtesy can even exist?
    Is courtesy not a manifestation of respect?

When I lose respect for someone I will probably also lose courtesy. My good manners fade. And that’s not nice. So where can I find all that in the dictionary?
  • Options

Now on to the response.

@Tenchi2a, sorry for butting in, but what about this:

I’m about to enter a busy train station. There’s a woman pushing a buggy with a toddler and all her shopping bags in it, behind me. I don’t know her. What I do know is that her hands are full, because not only is she pushing a buggy, she’s also carrying a tiny dog in a bag.
    Me? I’m only carrying one laptop bag strapped across my chest, hands free. You know the kind.

Out of respect for my fellow beings, because hey, we kinda share the same space and stuff, I have the courtesy to open the door for her and her toddler and her doggie. It’s an old station, so they’re not automatic doors.
    It’s much easier for me to open the door and keep it open, than it is for the woman to open the door. Or the kid. Or the dog. Because the dog is in a bag. It’s not even trained to stand on its own feet, let alone open doors.

Anyway. If I didn’t respect them as fellow beings, I probably wouldn’t have had the courtesy to open the door for them. I’d have entered the station and disregard anyone in front or behind me. Shut the door without even looking. Woman and kid and dog struggling to get inside all they like I couldn’t care less.Even if they were about to miss the train.

What if I was late for my train? I’d still respect them enough (because fellow beings) to have the courtesy to open the door. Because they are, after all, solid, emotional beings and getting a door in your face hurts. I know it does.

Do respect and courtesy not kind of go hand in hand? Should respect not be there before courtesy can even exist?
    Is courtesy not a manifestation of respect?

When I lose respect for someone I will probably also lose the courtesy to be nice to them. My good manners fade. And that’s not nice. So where can I find all that in the dictionary?

Agreed.

I'm not sure the hang up with technical dictionary definitions rather than the way it's being used here, but Webster Dictionary says that respect is holding someone in high regards, which should be done with everyone simply because they are fellow humans, not because they've "earned it" from you and how you treat someone, whether courteous or not, is all very tied in to whether you respect them or not.

The "respect has to be earned" thing may be true however in the exception that someone has acted in a way that has caused them to lose my respect already. Then they can earn it back. BBut if they haven't done anything to lose respect from me, then default is to respect them or "regard them highly" in the first place, because yeah, they are human just like me.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member
    I don't believe courtesy is a manifestation of respect. I know several people for whom I have little respect, for various reasons, but I'm still courteous and civil when in their presence.