The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tiny Living - But

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    In the interests of tiny living I would rather have seen different space saving beds. But I guess that would fall under this:

A lot of stuff packs have had more than one game play object.

I feel like this is a cop out.

They already have all sims using a "climb a ladder" animation from the pool ladder and now the island living ladder to the ocean.

Raising the footprint of a bed up + reuse ladder animation + add a "slot" under the bed for another bed to snap into and ta-da, bunk bed.

Modders did this a few years ago (though there was no climbing animation added) and it worked fine. Items were also usable under the top bunk. I feel like this sort of tweet is just an excuse given by the gurus because the ceos don't want to pay for another month of work (if that).

I’ve been curious why they couldn’t reuse the animation from climbing the pool ladder or island living ladder to give us bunk beds or an actual ladder at the very least.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    In the interests of tiny living I would rather have seen different space saving beds. But I guess that would fall under this:

See I think the problem here is that a SP centered around a sleeping bag or a bunk bed would seem really small. Sleeping bags have what....four animations? Unfold, open, close and fold. Bunk beds would need the go up and down the latter, plus crawling in and out of the top bunk.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,766 Member

They already have all sims using a "climb a ladder" animation from the pool ladder and now the island living ladder to the ocean.

Raising the footprint of a bed up + reuse ladder animation + add a "slot" under the bed for another bed to snap into and ta-da, bunk bed.

Modders did this a few years ago (though there was no climbing animation added) and it worked fine. Items were also usable under the top bunk. I feel like this sort of tweet is just an excuse given by the gurus because the ceos don't want to pay for another month of work (if that).

It mostly comes down to money, and time... Modders are not paid or limited by deadlines and other packs they have to work on so they can work on anything, anytime. Game developers have to stay within a budget and what they have time to work on, they were after all not only working on this in 2019, they were probably working on many other packs.

I do hope that they have planned bunk beds and ladders to be released later.

That, and that EA could give them a larger budget.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,207 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    So typical of this community. The first reaction to new content being a complaint of what we don't get. Getting so tiresome, really.

i mean normally id agree with you but the pack name this time truly offends my soul
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited December 2020
    tiny budget
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »
    So typical of this community. The first reaction to new content being a complaint of what we don't get. Getting so tiresome, really.

i mean normally id agree with you but the pack name this time truly offends my soul

Why?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,207 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »

Why?

just that it doesn't feel like it matches the content of pack and I want tiny living things so much in my game but this just ain't it and it makes me frustrated

oh well at least I am saving money
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    To be fair, we don’t know the budget for a stuff pack. We can only speculate. And we get told certain things aren’t possible due to budget like how elevators are too expensive. But in all honesty I think that excuse is wearing thin.

But we also know, and it was one of the producers that said within the past 6 months that they have a lot of freedom when it comes to making packs so while I agree the bunk bed excuse is very flimsy at best, I think bunk beds are one of the golden items and that golden item will be dangled as long as possible and probably put in a very mundane pack so people buy it just for bunk beds.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    To be fair, we don’t know the budget for a stuff pack. We can only speculate. And we get told certain things aren’t possible due to budget like how elevators are too expensive. But in all honesty I think that excuse is wearing thin.

But we also know, and it was one of the producers that said within the past 6 months that they have a lot of freedom when it comes to making packs so while I agree the bunk bed excuse is very flimsy at best, I think bunk beds are one of the golden items and that golden item will be dangled as long as possible and probably put in a very mundane pack so people buy it just for bunk beds.

Well to be fair bunk beds have been highly requested. They have been present in all sims games but TS1.

I'm still so mad that they didn't animate elevators, especially on an EP that barely had much content at all. And all because they saw using elevators as useless because "at the end of the day they are just moving sims up and down".
    Post edited by Sigzy05 on
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,050 Member
    I don't think it's all just about tiny and multi-function stuff though, it looks like a build challenge to get a functioning house within a certain tile limit? Or am I watching the trailer wrong?

I think you're right. Also one of those 'tiny' houses in the trailer went up the full number of floors allowed. That's a 400 tile house (20x20) so is not even remotely tiny. Agree with the others that a lot of things that would logicaly fit into the theme are missing. But then, EA is in CA.

It's not that long since a major release, and now a stuff pack so soon? Getting antsy for the cash grab, aren't they?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I don't think it's all just about tiny and multi-function stuff though, it looks like a build challenge to get a functioning house within a certain tile limit? Or am I watching the trailer wrong?

I think you're right. Also one of those 'tiny' houses in the trailer went up the full number of floors allowed. That's a 400 tile house (20x20) so is not even remotely tiny. Agree with the others that a lot of things that would logicaly fit into the theme are missing. But then, EA is in CA.

It's not that long since a major release, and now a stuff pack so soon? Getting antsy for the cash grab, aren't they?

They need that quarter money to please the investors after all. :wink:
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited January 2020
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Well to be fair bunk beds have been highly requested.They have been present in all sims games but TS1.

I'm still so mad that they didn't animate elevators, especially on an EP that barely had much content at all. And all because they saw using elevators as useless because "at the end of the day they are just moving sims up and down".

Oh I agree, I just think bunk beds not being included is a decision to purposefully piece meal content, as opposed to “It doesn’t fit the theme”/no budget/ *insert excuse here*

Meanwhile have another re skinned single bed and the 50th toilet!

And the elavator thing still bothers me too.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'll want more information but I think I'm interested. Obviously not all of my houses will be tiny but I have some smaller houses that might be able to use this stuff. It's weird that it references being cozy and some of the hair styles might even look a bit Scandinavian which some of us asked for during the stuff pack vote, but it's weird in a good way since I asked for that. We weren't going to make it into the other knitting pack.

I am running a little bit low on lot space including tiny lots, but I have a lot of smaller houses in place. I like the Murphy bed coming back and I'd like more information. I think it's a pack I would use.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,774 Member
    Yeah... spiral staircases or ladders of some kind would be really obvious for the tiny house theme. All the real life tiny houses I've ever seen have the beds in a loft reached by ladders, not on the next floor with an outdoor staircase. But moving past that, I'd have to see the items that are in the kit in more detail before I could decide if I want it.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited January 2020
    Come on, OP. Cut the devs some slack. The things you mentioned would be hard and stuff.
    ;)
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,556 Member
    No bunk beds? No spiral staircases? No ladders?

C'mon y'all.

Agreed. All of those would have been great, as would sofa beds. I'd never even heard of murphy beds before they were included in Sims 2 Apartment Life, whereas we've had sofa beds in my house from time to time.

This is kind of a sofa bed but it's a murphy bed/love seat.
  • Options

Keep in mind this also has to do with the size of the pack. Some items will work better in a gamepack or expansion because they have more animations that have to be added.
  • Options

I'm hoping for a Gamepack in February. We're certainly overdue for one.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited January 2020
    That Murphy bed is in sims 3 uni, a whole expansion yet they making yall buy it in some random stuff pack.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,492 Member
    Does anyone else remember the days when things like Murphy Beds just happened to be included in expansion packs for Sims 2 and Sims 3, instead of a stuff pack that revolves around them? Because I certainly do.

This stuff pack is honestly the most cringe worthy thing they've ever announced... and yes, I'm even admitting that it's worse than 'My First Pet'... I NEVER thought the day would come when I say that, but it's true... as awful as MFP is, this one takes the cake as the absolute biggest cash grab in the history of The Sims!

We're literally being charged $10 for a new bed... that's it... and yeah, they could've easily included bunk beds and ladders/spiral staircases in this, but no... they wanna be the greedy company they've always been!

Ironically, if they had included bunk beds in this pack, more people would feel inclined to actually buy it... I would say they made a mistake by this, but I know for a fact that it was done on purpose... they're money hungry!

I really wish Sims fans would STOP buying these cash grabs! We need to tell EA that this is NOT okay!
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options

I'm more concerned with the fact that they're literally charging us $10 for a Murphy Bed... but okay.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options

It's definitely a lazy excuse for them to use... especially when stuff packs in the past have given us content that is much BIGGER than bunk beds or sleeping bags!

If a stuff pack can revolve around Bowling Alleys (which is a much more complex theme), then I see absolutely NO reason why they can't include bunk beds or sleeping bags! I've had enough of their stupid excuses!
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member

I'm more concerned with the fact that they're literally charging us $10 for a Murphy Bed... but okay.

Right.

There's nothing wrong with being critical and mindful of the media you consume, so I truly don't see the problem with people voicing their opinions on the content that EAxis creates....especially content that people spend their money on.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

This. I mean, I know it is just a stuff pack, so you can't expect much really.

For people that like the styling of everything else included, I'm sure the $10 is worth it. It does feel like it's held back a bit from things that could have been Uni (and not just the bed). For me, this is a $10 murphy bed. There were a lot of great suggestions in this thread though, like ladders and bunk beds and pull out beds. This probably could have been a bigger idea and part of a GP or even an EP.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member

City Living, Parenthood, Discover University and Strangerville were the perfect opportunity to add Bunk Beds and Sleeping Bags. They need to admit that they just don‘t want to do it. I really feel insulted at this point.