Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a way to choose specific non-controllable roommates?

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to make sims that I have created my roommates on the uni housing lot type only? NOT on off-campus housing. If that makes any sense. I've been watching a lot of game changers to get an idea of bugs to look out for/mechanics before I start to play properly myself and none of the ones I've seen have used this feature (I know the devs said it was possible but I need some more clarification). Anyways thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I believe you might be interested in this mod, it does what you are asking about.
    https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/189154109868/choose-your-roommate-finally-my-sim-can-go-to-uni
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Aw thanks for your reply - I'm not too hot on modding but I'll check it out anyway. I could've sworn the devs said it was possible to choose your own roommates but obviously I was mistaken :s
  • Options
    MicemSimsMicemSims Posts: 463 Member
    edited November 2019
    I've been able to choose acquaintances and friends to be roommates. If you have enough beds there should be a roommate menu and you can ask them to be your new roommate.

Edited to add, they need to be sims in homeless households for it to work, so they can't be living in a house already. I'm not sure if they need to be the only sim in a household as well, but I did that just to be sure.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Ah thank you so much! That's what I thought I heard the devs say but I just wanted to double check! Thanks again! Shall be testing this later <3

Edit: do they have to be enrolled in uni for it to work? I want to live in uni housing e.g. the darkwing house (not dorms)
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    to use the roommate system, your sims don't even have to be going to school... i fully intend to use it to get roommates in some of my san myshuno apartments, once i take a break from sending sims to university

and you can use cheats to edit roommates to the way you like, so you know... there are three different types of hidden traits roommates/dormmates can get: archetypes, interests, and quirks
    they appear to get 1-2 archetypes, 1-2 interests and 0-1 quirks as they're created (or turned into roommates if they're already in the game) and some of those are... less than fun (but can make for great stories). things like 'breaker', 'fixer', 'meal maker', 'late on rent' are some of these
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,430 Member
    If you have get Together you can add the roommates you want to a club and then set the club as a requirement for your dorm. It should at least make the list of eligible candidates short. I haven't been able to test this but I read it somewhere on this forum.
    kalaksed wrote: »
    to use the roommate system, your sims don't even have to be going to school... i fully intend to use it to get roommates in some of my san myshuno apartments, once i take a break from sending sims to university

and you can use cheats to edit roommates to the way you like, so you know... there are three different types of hidden traits roommates/dormmates can get: archetypes, interests, and quirks
    they appear to get 1-2 archetypes, 1-2 interests and 0-1 quirks as they're created (or turned into roommates if they're already in the game) and some of those are... less than fun (but can make for great stories). things like 'breaker', 'fixer', 'meal maker', 'late on rent' are some of these

Very interesting, is there a list of these archetypes and quirks? Can we add them with cheats like we can add traits.
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    edited November 2019
    @Atreya33 we sure can, and there are at least two copies of the list floating around... i'll link the one i posted that just has the roommate stuff, but there's a full list of all the (tons of) hidden traits for the pack in the hidden traits thread... things like all the degrees, colors of robot chassis and more... it may be the most hidden traits i've seen in one pack yet

but this should link straight to my comment with the various roommate traits: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17318873#Comment_17318873
  • Options
    Thank you for the link. It is an impressive amount of hidden traits.
  • Options
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    If you have get Together you can add the roommates you want to a club and then set the club as a requirement for your dorm. It should at least make the list of eligible candidates short.

You're a genius! Thanks so much for the info :) I wanted to make a roommate club anyway

And thanks to everyone in general - you've all been a tremendous help

• Options
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    If you have get Together you can add the roommates you want to a club and then set the club as a requirement for your dorm. It should at least make the list of eligible candidates short.

You're a genius! Thanks so much for the info :) I wanted to make a roommate club anyway

And thanks to everyone in general - you've all been a tremendous help

Just don't forget like mentioned by other posters they should be homeless.