The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was it that much harder to be a witch in TS3 supernatural?

Comments

• Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    The potion that restores the needs using a single apple shouldn't exist. Also, we shouldn't get 4 potions each time. Besides that, I don't think think things are much easier than they were in sims 3.

I believe the 4 potions a batch was to mitigate everyone being annoyed at having to constantly gather ingredients to farm potions

But that's kind of the point, right? If you want to make potions, you need to gather ingredients. It's kinda weird that a single apple can restore all my needs 4 times. Almost feels like cheating.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm... I often make my own rules in this game. The apple-potion is very easy so I will probably only let my spellcaster use homegrown apples from her own lot. That will put a stop on the supply of apples at least :)

I also have herbalism to explore, have waited years with that one since I wanted a magic user first. Just waiting for winter to be over in my save. Everything in Granite Falls is snowed over now :)
  • Options
    RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    edited September 2019

But that's kind of the point, right? If you want to make potions, you need to gather ingredients. It's kinda weird that a single apple can restore all my needs 4 times. Almost feels like cheating.

It DOES depend on what level you are though.

Now don’t get me wrong- I do think this should have been a second or third level potion, but as someone who has made several batches for my sim there are a couple things which stop this from feeling too OP for me.

1: takes forever to brew. A single batch usually results in my sim having to take at least one or two breaks during it depending on what’s going on in the household. (Baby crying, plants need watering, pregnant Sim needing to refill her bladder need).

2: from the seven batches alone I’ve gotten 2 cursed, so roughly 1/3rd of the time results in no potions and my sim getting cursed.

3: even at the third rank, my spellcaster is still making poor quality potions. Which means roughly about 1/4th-1/6th of the potions she drinks would actually tank her needs. Had a close call and had to roll the dice and drink another hoping that one worked to right it, and luckily it did.

4: once the kids grow up and the challenge gets rolling that one batch will be split through an entire household of 8 sims. That means only about half can use it and then I’m out.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    edited September 2019

It DOES depend on what level you are though.

Now don’t get me wrong- I do think this should have been a second or third level potion, but as someone who has made several batches for my sim there are a couple things which stop this from feeling too OP for me.

1: takes forever to brew. A single batch usually results in my sim having to take at least one or two breaks during it depending on what’s going on in the household. (Baby crying, plants need watering, pregnant Sim needing to refill her bladder need).

2: from the seven batches alone I’ve gotten 2 cursed, so roughly 1/3rd of the time results in no potions and my sim getting cursed.

3: even at the third rank, my spellcaster is still making poor quality potions. Which means roughly about 1/4th-1/6th of the potions she drinks would actually tank her needs. Had a close call and had to roll the dice and drink another hoping that one worked to right it, and luckily it did.

4: once the kids grow up and the challenge gets rolling that one batch will be split through an entire household of 8 sims. That means only about half can use it and then I’m out.

I see your point, I agree that it takes forever to brew and honestly I love that they made it so potions and spells can always fail. OP stuff kinda ruins the game for me (I never use the money tree from seasons for the same reason).

I just think that the ingredient is easy and boring, compared to the effect the potion has. Kinda weird to me.
  • Options
    RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    @Wallsisms4ever Oh yeah, I tend to avoid things like money trees too so I understand where you are coming from.

I absolutely would’ve liked there to be more gates to getting this potion, and I think three ingredients might’ve been better (although I will say I got a chuckle out of the humor of the whole an apple a day keeps the doctor away thing). Just in the constraints of a challenge with the sim being a freelancer with kids, it hasn’t been ‘oh good lord this is too easy’ levels of game breaking for me. More ‘ehhhh I wish to tweak it a bit, but it has its own challenges so I dont feel cheaty using it in this context.’

Would never use it in my legacy household with all the best beds and 100k in simoleans sitting around though. Way too easy mode at that point. 😬
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Brinn wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    I love the spellcasters, they are a lot of fun and I really enjoy them a lot.

Just wish I didn’t lvl up so quickly in magic. Wish I could just lock it at adept if I wanted to.

I guess I must be doing it the hard way because it took like forever for my spell caster to level up.

Yeah same here, and I'm not purposefully making it difficult either. Plus I keep forgetting to check my sim's charge, so she overcharged twice already in not much time apart, and I feel the next time I forget to check this, she might die .. so :D

@Brinn I kinda agree with the apple thing I guess, but maybe I'm just not that bothered by it cause I use the "fulfill needs household" cheat all the time, so it feels less cheaty to have them drink a potion xD And honestly, if you forgot to harvest some apples before winter, and don't have your sims go to the city (which doesn't fit these guys here), and there's nothing to harvest in the realm, it can still take quite a while before you end up with an apple again. I also agree about the copypasto thing, but again, I feel I can't spam it either because that is how my sim overcharged the first time xD

You can simply buy any number of apples using a cell phone... They are also sold in ROM shops. And there is CopyPasto spell, you don't even need to grow apples.

If that’s not using magic to make life easier (which is the entire point) then I don’t know.

Personally I don’t think it’s too easy. TS3 witches were... boring, compared to these and TS2.

—T
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    When you're lost out in the jungle this nice little potion helps while you're looking for the blasted temple
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    FrieaFriea Posts: 54 Member
    Here's the thing-

Supernatural wasnt too hard.. I loved the werewolves though, not gonna lie. If you take a look at ROM it has very unbalanced things with Alchemy that makes it just basically cheats at that point. The fill needs potion is broken as heck. Yes the magic levels too easily and you learn spells too quickly. I think I maxed out my spellcaster sim in like.... a few hours or less. Here's the thing though that I wish people understood. Kids play this game, adults, teens, elders, This is a game for everyone and because of that, nothing really is going to have difficulty. Strangerville? I beat that plant boss in an hour. Nothing is meant to be super hard because they want everyone to be able to play it and do the things. Im not mad at how easy anything is in the Sims 4 because I understand maybe a 6 year old plays or someone who is not interested in playing the game for the difficulty. A lot of us play this game to relax and I think most people forget that.

Yeah its easy, some is imbalanced and can be changed sure. But hearing it needs to be more difficult is not something I can get behind. I play other games for them to be hard but the Sims is something I play to relax, if its a little easy then thats fine. My suggestion to fixing this and making everyone happy however would be to add a difficulty slider in the game menu... for those that want it harder.
    fT4P3EZ.jpg
    ♥ Learn to Love Yourself
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Sure, the Needs potion is potent, but as @RobinGreenthumb mentions, it has two distinct fail states. And fixing motives with a potion means: not getting a good meal buff from eating, not setting an emotion from the shower, not building relationships with other Sims from Social...

There are a host of things one can get from activities to address motives, that the potion doesn't touch. I like having some in my inventory, just in case, but am stingy about using them. I'll use a needs potion if I am close to meeting a goal in play and don't want to interrupt, but not to just annul needs.

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Friea wrote: »
    Here's the thing-

Supernatural wasnt too hard.. I loved the werewolves though, not gonna lie. If you take a look at ROM it has very unbalanced things with Alchemy that makes it just basically cheats at that point. The fill needs potion is broken as heck. Yes the magic levels too easily and you learn spells too quickly. I think I maxed out my spellcaster sim in like.... a few hours or less. Here's the thing though that I wish people understood. Kids play this game, adults, teens, elders, This is a game for everyone and because of that, nothing really is going to have difficulty. Strangerville? I beat that plant boss in an hour. Nothing is meant to be super hard because they want everyone to be able to play it and do the things. Im not mad at how easy anything is in the Sims 4 because I understand maybe a 6 year old plays or someone who is not interested in playing the game for the difficulty. A lot of us play this game to relax and I think most people forget that.

Yeah its easy, some is imbalanced and can be changed sure. But hearing it needs to be more difficult is not something I can get behind. I play other games for them to be hard but the Sims is something I play to relax, if its a little easy then thats fine. My suggestion to fixing this and making everyone happy however would be to add a difficulty slider in the game menu... for those that want it harder.

What other things are imbalanced though, besides the Needs potion? I haven't maxed it out yet so I don't know what a lot of the potions do. While we're at it, can anyone explain what the magical aura potion actually does besides making sims shine? That is the only thing I don't really understand yet xD
  • Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    Here's the thing-

What other things are imbalanced though, besides the Needs potion? I haven't maxed it out yet so I don't know what a lot of the potions do. While we're at it, can anyone explain what the magical aura potion actually does besides making sims shine? That is the only thing I don't really understand yet xD

There are 2 other things imbalanced: a potion that you get for free when learning a new recipe + CopyPasto spell. You don't even need to brew some complicated potions or bother collecting rare ingredients. I appreciate the spell itself, but I think that Alchemy must be about actually brewing potions... at least for the first time.
  • Options
    Here's the thing-

There are 2 other things imbalanced: a potion that you get for free when learning a new recipe + CopyPasto spell. You don't even need to brew some complicated potions or bother collecting rare ingredients. I appreciate the spell itself, but I think that Alchemy must be about actually brewing potions... at least for the first time.

Hmm but I do like copypasto xD That you get the potion, that I agree with. It'd be better if you just got the recipe instead. Wouldn't mind them changing that actually. I think that's how it worked in 3 as well, no?
  • Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    Here's the thing-

Hmm but I do like copypasto xD That you get the potion, that I agree with. It'd be better if you just got the recipe instead. Wouldn't mind them changing that actually. I think that's how it worked in 3 as well, no?

I like CopyPasto spell too. It's a useful one since there are so many different ingredients. And it really helps while the 0$ potions bug is still there. But they should have forbidden to copy potions (like copypasting them would result in creating a cursed version) - or at least not giving the first potion for free.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Here's the thing-

I *think* if a Spellcaster Sim drinks it they will sparkle or whatever, if a normal sim drinks it nothing will happen? I guess it is a way to see who is magical or not 🤷🏼‍♂️ Idk, but that’s the impression I got.

—T
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    edited September 2019
    delete
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    @To7m oh okay - do vampires sparkle too then? I'll try giving a potion to each type, see what happens :D It'd be cool if mermaids sparkled blue, vampires purple, aliens green, spellcasters orange/yellow (was that the color?), and normal sims not at all. But I guess it won't be that in-depth :sweat_smile:

@Brinn I'd like it if copypasto resulted in cursed potions! Although in the meantime I did try to copypasto one potion cause I needed two instead of one for the daughter, and err well, the spell backfired and the potion disappeared, so I ended up with none xD
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    My Sims have learnt some useful spells and made some potions, but while I'm quite liberal with the money cheat, I'm fairly strict about having my Sims fulfill their needs and do their general housekeeping tasks, so I'm not actually using the spells and potions. I think that's part of the difference between doing everything in an hour and taking longer. I'm also in no rush - I want to discover things, not shortcut my way to the top. The game play along the way is more interesting to me than the achievement at the end.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited September 2019
    I personally found playing with witches in TS3 to be very tedious because they seemed to take a long time to level up. I remember having to have my witch constantly conjuring apples, converting objects to other objects, duelling, upgrading everything at home and around town in order to level up and unlock spells. In the end I also had her learn alchemy so she could make the essence of magic potion and fill up her magic bar more quickly. It was tough to get to the top, a lot of grinding, and the spells (even the duelling) were mostly boring to me.

I prefer Realm of Magic’s system of magic, spells and even duelling to Supernatural’s. I think the spells are more interesting as well as being more fun to cast and watch. The failure rate is high enough to be challenging with unexpected results more often than not. Some ingredients are rare which means you can’t have your sim do every potion whenever you want and the main magic collection is hard to complete. I love the familiars and the customization allowed by the perks system. The curses are surprisingly fun (as well as being hilarious), and in fact all of magic (the system, the features, the spells, the world) feels very unexpected and risky to me.

While learning magic (which was not too easy for me), both of my sims wound up cursed, they both had spells and potions fail a fair bit, they both lost duels (one more often than the other) and one died once from being overcharged (luckily a familiar revived him). Magic is way more interesting and varied; advancing feels less like grinding and I am having a ton of fun playing this pack.
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Hmm... I often make my own rules in this game. The apple-potion is very easy so I will probably only let my spellcaster use homegrown apples from her own lot. That will put a stop on the supply of apples at least :)

I also have herbalism to explore, have waited years with that one since I wanted a magic user first. Just waiting for winter to be over in my save. Everything in Granite Falls is snowed over now :)

I hope you have better luck than me with herbalism. I took my level 10 Gardner to granite falls in spring for a three day vacation. Loaded alll lots ( rental, national park and hermit place) on all three days- insects galore, but no plants to harvest or attempt to identify like previously - I was able to take cutting of poison fire leaf and one of the mushrooms, but none others.

I don’t have ROM but the reality is the game can’t please everybody. Everyone body plays differently and has a different level of appetite for challenge.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I personally found playing with witches in TS3 to be very tedious because they seemed to take a long time to level up. I remember having to have my witch constantly conjuring apples, converting objects to other objects, duelling, upgrading everything at home and around town in order to level up and unlock spells. In the end I also had her learn alchemy so she could make the essence of magic potion and fill up her magic bar more quickly. It was tough to get to the top, a lot of grinding, and the spells (even the duelling) were mostly boring to me.

I prefer Realm of Magic’s system of magic, spells and even duelling to Supernatural’s. I think the spells are more interesting as well as being more fun to cast and watch. The failure rate is high enough to be challenging with unexpected results more often than not. Some ingredients are rare which means you can’t have your sim do every potion whenever you want and the main magic collection is hard to complete. I love the familiars and the customization allowed by the perks system. The curses are surprisingly fun (as well as being hilarious), and in fact all of magic (the system, the features, the spells, the world) feels very unexpected and risky to me.

While learning magic (which was not too easy for me), both of my sims wound up cursed, they both had spells and potions fail a fair bit, they both lost duels (one more often than the other) and one died once from being overcharged (luckily a familiar revived him). Magic is way more interesting and varied; advancing feels less like grinding and I am having a ton of fun playing this pack.

Yes thank you, that's exactly how I feel about it as well! xD Not necessarily the "tedious" part cause I enjoyed the witches, bure more specifically the part about spells and dueling being really fun to watch and do, both when they work and when they fail. I thought it was hilarious when the potion I wanted to copy disappeared, or that the sims I try to infatuate turn around kissing my spellcaster instead when it fails, or that brewing potions can curse you, etc. It doesn't feel too grindy to me, because I don't have to have all my sims follow the same path - whereas in TS3 I did. So indeed, a lot of apple conjuring and constantly doing the same spells. Although I think there was a spell in TS3 with which you could upgrade equipment (like you can with the handiness skill). That one I do miss xD
  • Options

Yes thank you, that's exactly how I feel about it as well! xD Not necessarily the "tedious" part cause I enjoyed the witches, bure more specifically the part about spells and dueling being really fun to watch and do, both when they work and when they fail. I thought it was hilarious when the potion I wanted to copy disappeared, or that the sims I try to infatuate turn around kissing my spellcaster instead when it fails, or that brewing potions can curse you, etc. It doesn't feel too grindy to me, because I don't have to have all my sims follow the same path - whereas in TS3 I did. So indeed, a lot of apple conjuring and constantly doing the same spells. Although I think there was a spell in TS3 with which you could upgrade equipment (like you can with the handiness skill). That one I do miss xD

Repairio lets you upgrade the quality of potions (when it doesn’t fail and reduce them to dust); it’s too bad it doesn’t let you upgrade electronics. I guess they still wanted to give sims a reason to learn handiness as a skill. Personally I thought it was funny when one of my sims, who was level 8 on cooking and level 5 in Gourmet cast the Delicioso spell and received a poor quality hot dog for her trouble. Meanwhile, her roommate, who was advanced in his spell casting but only level 2 in cooking could routinely conjure up excellent Pasta Primavera and Prosciutto asparagus. I guess magic is inherently sort of cheaty.
  • Options
    @simfriend1968 lol xD poor sim having to eat that low quality hotdog :D

Also I think Lilsimsie kind of agrees with us that these spellcasters are better? Even if I'm not sure how valid that is coming from someone who hates occults but okay 😅

https://youtu.be/rpv5TKs5PQ8
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,541 Member

Also I think Lilsimsie kind of agrees with us that these spellcasters are better? Even if I'm not sure how valid that is coming from someone who hates occults but okay 😅

Wow, I think her "curse of unwarranted hostility" toward Occults is finally wearing off! :D
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    @LiELF hahah gotta admit though, it always makes me laugh when she calls them magical freaks xD
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »

Wow, I think her "curse of unwarranted hostility" toward Occults is finally wearing off! :D

Lilsimsie did admit that in her youth she had been a huge fan of Harry Potter, so I suspect she has a higher tolerance for Spellcasters. I enjoyed her comparison video of witches from TS3 and TS4 and thought that she made a lot of good points. Now I am just eagerly awaiting the comparison video of The Red Plumbob, who does all the games and will likely go back to Makin’ Magic.