Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ROM: Magic As Skill Or Life State

Comments

• Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Life State
    I prefer a mix too.
    Magic itself I'd want as a lifestate, sims pick up too many skills "by accident" imho and I want magic to be exclusive and rare, plus it would add new CAS items exclusive to that lifestate adding more variety (at least to my selfmade sims)
    and add a few "not really magic but also part of the realm"-skills everyone could learn.

if I absolutely had to choose I'd take lifestate but with the option to turn an existing ordinary sim into a witch/warlock just like vampires and mermaids, cause I got a sim just perfect for it.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,234 Member
    You forgot the third option:

DY7Q5nb.jpg

How would you go about doing both?

If everyone can do magic, what would be the point of a different life state?

Unless you have certain magic that only Witches can do, and certain magic anyone can do.Has anyone remember alchemy from supernatural ?
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,029 Member
    edited July 2019
    What about a trait? A trait that can be unlocked in the aspiration rewards shop, can be inherited, and can given to sims through some in-game quests/items/CAS somehow. There's no secondary form for a witch. That way, other occult states can also be witches.

Magic-related skills can only be learned by people with this trait, meaning that non-witches can't pick them up by accident. The trait could also be removable, allowing sims to de-witchify themselves if need be.
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Eugh I’ve had a grim realisation!

What if there are no witches/ wizards and it’s just a skill to learn? No new life state, meaning this new skill is available to anyone and everyone, fitting the broader sense of the title “realm of magic”. All this talk about multiple occult’s would be out the window lol
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Skill
    Gordy wrote: »
    What about a trait? A trait that can be unlocked in the aspiration rewards shop, can be inherited, and can given to sims through some in-game quests/items/CAS somehow. There's no secondary form for a witch. That way, other occult states can also be witches.

Magic-related skills can only be learned by people with this trait, meaning that non-witches can't pick them up by accident. The trait could also be removable, allowing sims to de-witchify themselves if need be.

That would be great! I know some people don’t want vampires/aliens/mermaids to be able to do magic, but it seems unfair that just because somebody doesn’t want something nobody else can have it either.
  • Options
    whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    Skill
    I think it simply makes more sense as a skill, but I like the idea of there being a witch trait to learn magic more easily. The only issue with it being a skill, however, is that random sims might just start practicing novice magic the way they will just start singing out of nowhere. I think that would break the immersion too much, so a life state could alternatively work a bit better to prevent sims who aren't supposed to be magic from learning it out of the blue.
    They could do both, but I would (personally) just like it as a skill that levels up SUPER slow for most sims, but regularly for a sim with the witch/magic trait. I would prefer for the first 2 or 3 levels to be achieved through reading and with NO powers in order to give a buffer (so random sims won't use magic) and to create the impression that magic is a difficult skill.
  • Options
    CrownSimsCrownSims Posts: 470 Member
    edited July 2019
    Life State
    I don't want just random npc's to learn magic out of nowhere. If magic was a skill then that would mean that EVERYONE could learn it, and I simply just don't think that's realistic. I think it would be more realistic as a life state BUT sims could become witches by finding some relic or asking another witch idk.

Let's say that my witch sim (hypothetically) just left a wand lying around in her house. That means that any townie sim that goes over to her house could simply pick up her wand and just start learning magic. That just doesn't make sense to me, sorry.

I could simply just be enjoying my game and before you know it, Eliza Pancakes is a witch terrorizing the neighborhood.
    Post edited by CrownSims on
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    edited July 2019
    Life State
    I find the magic-life state exclusivity more appealing probably because it makes magic more unique and hidden while maintaining its secrecy. Magic isn’t something everyone suddenly happens to learn, it could be your either born with it or it’s generationally passed down through an enchanted object.

Maybe the possibility of distinguishing the difference between magic and spells. Non-supernaturals can practice spells and supernaturals can practice magic snd spells. Seems like a win-win to me.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Life State
    HimRumi wrote: »
    I find the magic-life state exclusivity more appealing probably because it makes magic more unique and hidden while maintaining its secrecy. Magic isn’t something everyone suddenly happens to learn, it could be your either born with it or it’s generationally passed down through an enchanted object.

Maybe the possibility of distinguishing the difference between magic and spells. Non-supernaturals can practice spells and supernaturals can practice magic snd spells. Seems like a win-win to me.

Unless you try to zap a townie (like in TS1) and they zap you first, because they also have a skill. Does anyone remember you didn't have to learn magic at all in TS1, but if you tried any magic spells on Bella, or any other townie, she or anyone else would thawrt that spell because they had skills, too.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    jj_____jj_____ Posts: 167 Member
    Skill
    I would like to have both.

Like many of you said that you don't want just everyone to learn a skill, I agree, I don't want that either. It should be done in a way that you can choose who can learn it (like you can choose who can became famous) and it's different that what kind of skills life state ones have. Also would be nice to have different kind of skills or paths them to choose.

If you can't change a sim to a witch/other life state, then learning a skill is needed for me. I already have sims that I've planned to be witches or learn magic and would like them to be able to.
  • Options
    adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    Skill
    I would hate it if my normal sims couldn't learn magic at all :<
    I don't mind if you need to make friends with a witch/wizard/any other occult they might bring in or so for it to happen, but I really want it to be a skill you don't need to be an occult to use :(
    origin ID: adduapina
  • Options
    LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    Life State
    I've gone with Life State - but I would like other sims to be able to learn magic, just not to the same extent as an actual witch. I would like them to learn some spells, perhaps study the history of magic, in the same way they can learn about Vampires without being one. With practice and closeness to a witch/warlock, perhaps they could either become a witch or advance in some other way - but effort would be essential, just doing the odd magical thing over time should not make a person as powerful as an actual witch.
  • Options
    rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    Life State
    Life state for me, but I would want it to work like a skill. The lower the skills the bigger the chances of spells going wrong, the higher the skill the better the spells a sim can learn. I wouldn't mind them adding a magician skill alongside magic, as in a performer whi does tricks etc, maybe as a job for normal sims
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Both.
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    Skill
    Skill... I also like the idea of a Magic/Witch trait to make a sim more magically inclined.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Skill
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    I prefer a mix too.
    sims pick up too many skills "by accident" imho and I want magic to be exclusive and rare

I don't really get why everyone's worried about that being the case. I mean I guess it could happen but there would probably be ways around that. Vampire Lore, for instance, is very hard for a random sim to just learn out of nowhere (it is possible for it to happen, through conversation, but that's pretty uncommon.)

Thinking about it further though, while I wouldn't want it to be an occult I also don't really want it to be a skill. Something like the celebrity system is more what I have in mind, a status so to speak.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Skill
    Cupid wrote: »
    I prefer a mix too.
    sims pick up too many skills "by accident" imho and I want magic to be exclusive and rare

I don't really get why everyone's worried about that being the case. I mean I guess it could happen but there would probably be ways around that. Vampire Lore, for instance, is very hard for a random sim to just learn out of nowhere (it is possible for it to happen, through conversation, but that's pretty uncommon.)

Thinking about it further though, while I wouldn't want it to be an occult I also don't really want it to be a skill. Something like the celebrity system is more what I have in mind, a status so to speak.

If they did that there could be an “everybody’s muggles” toggle so that you’d have to specifically let sims start learning magic, which would be nice. It’d mean that people who don’t want vampires/aliens/mermaids to be able to use magic could keep them away from it without removing the option for everyone else.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Life State
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    I prefer a mix too.

If they did that there could be an “everybody’s muggles” toggle so that you’d have to specifically let sims start learning magic, which would be nice. It’d mean that people who don’t want vampires/aliens/mermaids to be able to use magic could keep them away from it without removing the option for everyone else.

Wow, that's a pretty good compromise you guys came up with! Now I actually want that...
  • Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Skill

I LOVE this idea. Best of both worlds. Your sim won't start autonomously doing magic without your permission, but if you want to unlock magic for your vampire or alien, you can!

I think it would be a shame for magic to be lifestate-locked when we have Mermaids. What if I want to make a sea witch? And I want to be clear here, I absolutely do want to make a sea witch.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Skill

Definitely. But fame is a kind of skill, imo. I would definitely want that kind of skill tree like they have for vampires and fame. If you have to get a trait or do something else in-game (that isn't autonomous) to unlock that skill tree, I think that's fine.

Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    Life State

I'd like the idea of a trait...if we had more available traits in CAS. Reward system traits but I want to make my witches in CAS. I personally want a life state with multiple aspirations (like we got with vampires)
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Life State

I'd like the idea of a trait...if we had more available traits in CAS. Reward system traits but I want to make my witches in CAS. I personally want a life state with multiple aspirations (like we got with vampires)

THIS. I don't want it to be a trait either. We have so few to start with, I wouldn't want to have to take up a precious trait slot just to make a witch. Life state is the best option here.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited July 2019
    Life State

THIS. I don't want it to be a trait either. We have so few to start with, I wouldn't want to have to take up a precious trait slot just to make a witch. Life state is the best option here.

Oh don't be mistaken! Life State Traits, are different than Personality Traits. Therefore they will not take up Trait Slot.

Each Life State has a special Trait, and it's woven into their genetics so that it doesn't take up a trait slot.
    Vampires, Aliens, and Mermaids are all we have.

As it should be, So when we get witches into the mix, or rather Mystics. The Life State will have the "Mystic" Sim's genetics making them a witch and be able to use magic. Preexisting sim cannot acquire the Trait in CAS.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    Skill
    Maybe a witches-lore (or similar) skill for everyone, and then a magic skill for just witches
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Life State
    You forgot the third option:

DY7Q5nb.jpg

How would you go about doing both?

If everyone can do magic, what would be the point of a different life state?

There could be basic magic like the sims 3 store stuff. A spellbook with some basic spells, basic potion making etc, but the REALLY powerful stuff can only be done by witches.

In my stories anyone can use magic, using it WELL or skillfully however is another subject entirely. Some people are just naturally born with a deeper connection to magic than others, like witches etc.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png