Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Photos for cheap art?

I just finished a couple of starter build homes for the gallery and whoa... staying on budget is a challenge for <20k. One thing I noticed is that a lot of people seem to add art/photo collections in the gallery. I don't use mods or CC and don't want to add pics with them to my homes, but I was thinking that I could have my sim take some photos and upload to the gallery and use these for art in builds sometimes. Can I confirm if this is a thing or not? I found myself unmotivated to work on the photography skill in-game when I tried it, but maybe I would for this purpose. Do the photos get more expensive as they get more experience, though? (Like with painters.) This would defeat the purpose in my case. I need cheap art. But I want it to be mine. Can't use my sim's painting, as she makes 'masterpieces' and all (= really expensive). But if I have a poopy painter paint them the paintings will stink for putting in homes. Any advice from others who create art/photos for this purpose?
Sims 4 Gallery
EA ID: SheriGR
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
"What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8

Comments

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I think photos stay pretty cheap. I've never seen my max leveled photographer take any that were worth very much.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    There is an option with the easel to 'Paint by Reference' where you take a photo from that spot and the sim paints that. With the new ability to take the easel just about anywhere you please, you should get just about anything you want on canvas that way.
  • Options
    MelmackMelmack Posts: 212 Member
    Photos are free! Even at top level. I have a sim that moved out on her own and her story is that she's broke and trying to make it on the city. But her apartment was pretty sad looking. So she went traveling and took a bunch of landscape photos. I played around with the filters and resized them in bb mode and moved them closer together with moo, and made a pretty nice gallery wall for her. It kind of takes a creative eye to get nice pictures but it's one of my favorite things to do now. Its like custom art! Hope that helps.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    My bad I think your asking what they are worth, looking back over your post. I think the most I have photos go for is 32 simoleons or something. So it wouldn't add a ton of value to the build.
  • Options
    SheriGRSheriGR Posts: 795 Member
    @Samsonguy9000 Yes, that's what I was thinking. My main sin a a great painter, and I didn't know she could take the easle with her. I may have some fun with this one! Thank you!

@Cupid and @Melmack ...Good to know! I think I will push through and try this photography thing again - with some in combo with painting. When I tried it it was driving me NUTS trying to get it to accept the crop/framing I wanted. I gave up and decided it wasn't designed to work the way I wanted. Just accepting a 'boom, here it is' shot is not good the majority of the time design-wise. Good way to gat a 'meh' image. Anyway, I think this is a good goal to add to my list. Thank you all for your input!
    Sims 4 Gallery
    EA ID: SheriGR
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/SheriGr
    "What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." ― Micah 6:8
  • Options
    It's all about finding a good angle that your sims can get to, and playing around with the filters. And dont forget you can resize and change the frame colour in build buy. I usually have my sims visit a nice spot then go into full camera mode while they do whatever they want and "explore" on my own zoomed right in to their level looking for a nice shot. And since I never miss an opportunity to humble brag about my own work, this is what my "poor college student-ish" apartment has for cheap artwork.
    86QhaqN.jpg
    o403F3D.jpg
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Melmack wrote: »
    It's all about finding a good angle that your sims can get to, and playing around with the filters. And dont forget you can resize and change the frame colour in build buy. I usually have my sims visit a nice spot then go into full camera mode while they do whatever they want and "explore" on my own zoomed right in to their level looking for a nice shot. And since I never miss an opportunity to humble brag about my own work, this is what my "poor college student-ish" apartment has for cheap artwork.
    86QhaqN.jpg
    o403F3D.jpg

Somehow I did not realize you could change the frame of pictures in B/B mode on photos you take in game. This is a game changer for me. And your sims' artwork is beautiful! I've thought about doing something similar in my game, and now I just may have to. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.