Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone else feel bad killing off Sims?

Sorry if there is a thread like this already...

I just wondered if anyone else has a hard time killing off 'unwanted' Sims?

In my rotational saves I feel I have a few of my Sims that I have just run out of ideas for, so instead of forcing myself just to play them through I was going to kill them off... But I feel so bad about it!! I have one literally lined up, she ate the cake from her best friends cow plant, it's got the cake ready to eat again but I had to leave the game and now I'm having second thoughts! Such a moral dilemma!

I also have a group of the men I'm going to send out to the jungle without supplies and see what happens.. I feel that's a slightly more 'natural' way to do it... But I still feel so bad!

I mean, I could just mark them unplayed and let them get on with their lives, but then they would age up out of sync of their friends and families and I have an OCD with this save I've never had before! :D
Gallery name: Anna-Banna

Comments

• Options
    kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    I sometimes make stories where my sims have to die but I feel better because it serves the story. Like in one of my saves everyone Vlad bit died in my story, so that took out a lot of my rotational family and pruned the tree, so to speak. One of the sims whose mother died devoted his life to hunting and killing Vlad and all the vampires in town as revenge.

It made things more interesting while also serving the benefit of cutting down on the played sims.

But, having said that, if you marked them unplayed - why would the age different to your played sims? I don't understand? Do you have a special aging system?
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• Options
    safersavioursafersaviour Posts: 507 Member
    Aww, I love killing off Sims. I also love Supernatural play, and that means killing a bunch of kids to make creepy ghost children.

Don't feel bad about having a lot of empathy though, Cherry. There's nothing wrong with that. Just don't give yourself anxiety killing people off if you don't have to.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Yes, it does. I spent a lot of time guiding them through their life and improving them and now it's time for them to go...
  • Options
    Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    @kemisz I kind of have a weird system. I have it off, (well on so the pets age, but I give my Sims the potion of youth if they get close to ageing and I'm not ready for it.) So I just age them up when I think they have achieved what I want them too or I want to move on with their stories. I turn ageing on for townies whilst playing my first house then off again for the rest, if that makes sense? So potentially they could get all out of sync depending on how long I kept their children young...

Your Vlad story sounds pretty awesome actually. I've tried to minimise the vamps in this save to keep it relatively 'normal'. I have a separate one where the vamps come out to play lots more.

@safersaviour I have too much empathy haha!

Ooh just thought! I could leave her marked as played! Then she wouldn't age with the other townies but she could live her life and I could pop in every so often and age her when needed!
  • Options
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Yes, it does. I spent a lot of time guiding them through their life and improving them and now it's time for them to go...

Sorry for the double post.

This is exactly what I have done! But now I'm out of ideas for a few of them. I'm ready to play their children through their lives now..
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    I have done it before without too much moral dilemma :wink: It sometimes helps the story! I do like it to seem like a genuine mistake though... Rather than just starving them or something like that. I want it to be a realistic accident haha

Sims 4 does seem to make genuine accidents a lot more difficult though, which is a shame. I wish they wouldn't sugar coat the game like that! It's really hard to have a genuine accident, given all the warnings and second chances. The game's too safe lol
  • Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    Just to add....

My latest accident came when a Sim repaired the dishwasher while already dazed from a voodoo doll...! She was electrocuted lol. It created good storyline drama - she was a mum of three and left a widower behind, who married another woman who became enemies with the oldest daughter ;) Fun times
  • Options
    kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    @kemisz I kind of have a weird system. I have it off, (well on so the pets age, but I give my Sims the potion of youth if they get close to ageing and I'm not ready for it.) So I just age them up when I think they have achieved what I want them too or I want to move on with their stories. I turn ageing on for townies whilst playing my first house then off again for the rest, if that makes sense? So potentially they could get all out of sync depending on how long I kept their children young...

Your Vlad story sounds pretty awesome actually. I've tried to minimise the vamps in this save to keep it relatively 'normal'. I have a separate one where the vamps come out to play lots more.

@safersaviour I have too much empathy haha!

Ooh just thought! I could leave her marked as played! Then she wouldn't age with the other townies but she could live her life and I could pop in every so often and age her when needed!

Yes! I do this too! I have the aging turned on for the first house and then off for the rest. But I understand more now that you have explained about the potion of youth stuff.
    My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• Options
    @YellowJane I agree that it is too safe. I don't kind genuine accidents. I once had a teen who burned to death, was very shocked but I tend to just roll with it. Although I did exit without saving after a child burned to death the other day, that's because it was glitched and I literally couldn't do anything to save him because all the Sims had frozen! If it's going to be spontaneous it needs to be fair! :D

@kemisz Yea I do it all weird I know. It's the first time over ever played rotational and my hubby thinks I'm crazy because I have then all written down like who is the eldest out of the friends etc etc.

Im torn about the cow plant death now.. I had kind of made a plan round it... But I feel bad forcing her to eat the cake lol!
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Only if they're children. Otherwise they're free game :smirk:
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited June 2018
    Just delete them from household management. That way you don't see them be tortured. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member

In my rotational saves I feel I have a few of my Sims that I have just run out of ideas for, so instead of forcing myself just to play them through I was going to kill them off... But I feel so bad about it!! I have one literally lined up, she ate the cake from her best friends cow plant, it's got the cake ready to eat again but I had to leave the game and now I'm having second thoughts! Such a moral dilemma!

I also have a group of the men I'm going to send out to the jungle without supplies and see what happens.. I feel that's a slightly more 'natural' way to do it... But I still feel so bad!

I mean, I could just mark them unplayed and let them get on with their lives, but then they would age up out of sync of their friends and families and I have an OCD with this save I've never had before! :D

Why not simply delete either that family, or the entire game save?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Just delete them from household management. That way you don't see them be tortured. XD

+1

The only ones I don't mind offing are the game-generated sims.
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member

Don't feel bad about killing them off. Just look at it as a great oportunity to create some great storylines. Or you can even kill them off and play then as ghosts. But if you really don't want to kill them off you could always as been suggested above; have them 'move out to another country' and just delete them. You could also just relinquish them from your rotational play and just not play them. I think you can even mark them as unplayed in household management. They will still be there in your game and you can see them but not play them. You can also move them out of their house and into household management. Same deal as above, they will be still around except they will not be housed.

I do understand the reluctance to kill of Sims you have emotional attachments to. I know that I will be quite emotional when my favorite Sims will pass over but I play a generational-rotation so deaths are important to keep the play going. Besides. I can always immortalise them into my library. I prefer to look at deaths as a great storyline opportunities. In my case, I've so far had only three deaths in my save game. Its a save game I have played since I got the basegame, last august. Two of them were orchastrated by me with cheats and one the game saw fit to reward me with.

One of the ones I did myself was to 'cull' or get rid of a premade I really didn't fancy and the other for story purposes.

The story purpose death was made to create a certain murder suspision/mystery that will pop up later in the game. I had one of my Sims that is in the criminal career, knock up a townie ('accidentally') and move her in (necessary requirement as the woman was an unhoused Sim and I didn't want to loose the baby as I play with aging off except household I play in at a time) then she dies after the baby is born from a hemorrhagic stroke. She was alone at the time in the baby's room so she died. Very sad. The dad takes his duties seriously as a dad and moves in his boyfriend to live with him, the baby and his other daughter. Later in his storyline there will be a suspision later on wether he had anything to do with her death, especially when it is revealed what kind of job he actually has.

The baby also has a big brother (didn't realise until the woman moved in that she already had a male child) who now is living with the dad's former roommate (platonic roommate btw) who moved out along with her son (child) and took the big brother with her to raise as her own. That big brother will have a storyline of his own when he grows up that for me is a bit vague at the moment but will definatly involved the death of his mother.

The unexpected death on the other hand was for me a great surprise both because it was the very first game induced death I had ever had in Sims 4 and because it gave me a very great story idea for the remaining pregnant spouce and their living children. It was the Fyres family by the way, which I had no idea what to do with. I was even thinking of having them 'move' (delete them) to another country.

The death was quite sad really. Dominic, who was finally making it in his chosen career of DJing was slaving over the dj booth trying to finish his very first mix tape when the booth, due to a faulty wiring in the booths electrical system, caught fire and killing Dominic in the process. Poor Moira was pregnant at the time and now Dominic jr. is a toddler. With no other income except Siobhan's pay from her low lvl business career, Moira has to choose between a complete bankrupsy or selling the family home that has been in her family for generations. I've already found (from the gallery) a very nice house (they can afford without using the money cheat) in Courtyard Lane, one of Willow Creek's nicer middle class suburbs where I think she and her family will be quite happy.

The house is big enough to create within it a small cosy studio apartment, Moira can either let out for extra income or give to Siobhan if she doesn't decide to move in with her boyfriend/fiance. There is even a room for a sizable garden and when the new expansion comes along, Moira will take great advantages to the new features it will bring along and will probably bloom (pun intended) in the new gardener career. There are even several families already living in Courtyard Lane which will welcome the Fyres with open arms. I've always found the Fyres' location to be very isolated. I am thinking of changing the Fyres' home into a home for my elderly Sims.

So don't be afraid to send them up the river in the jungle and let 'nature' run its course. Because you can always bring home their ghosts.
  • Options
    PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I have death in my game to keep it from getting too stagnant
  • Options
    LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    I've only killed two sims purposefully that I can remember. In TS4, I entered a household and the elderly parents had the exhausted moodlet. I got them to woohoo it see if they die ('cause I knew they would) and then the mom got out of bed and keeled over! Right when the purple pop-up about the death came up...THE POWER WENT OFF IN MY BUILDING!!!!! This happened a little before midnight. I freaked.

I was on battery, so then I sent the dad out for a jog, to get him to die too (the game let me for some reason) He died. I felt really really bad after all this. I nearly cried. Having the electricity go out right when the first one died doesn't help! Also I felt guilty because the parent sims had a children: a child and a young adult. Yeah, I don't plan on killing any more sims for fun.
  • Options
    aaronjc123aaronjc123 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I do.. I never intentionally kill Sims.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited June 2018
    It depends on the sim. Sometimes they die and I don't feel bad at all, other times I simply delete them. I play a large household with a mix of personalities and sometimes a sim is particularly horrible and I want them to have an "unfortunate accident rather than move them out or delete them. I took one to the jungle without equipment but her skill set was too high for her to be in any real danger, so I used her as my relic tester. She ended up having that spontaneous combustion curse and went up in flames.

I recently bought MFP and I was really going for the rodent disease but she never got sick after being bitten by a rodent in an unclean habitat, so I used her to test relics out on.

Some sims I'm indifferent about but sometimes one will get on my nerves and simply being deleted isn't enough. :D
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I feel bad but stuff happens "storywise" I regular NPC vamp snuck into the the wrong Sims house and got a stake through the heart. One of my Sims was having an affair with the wrong Sims husband. It didn't end well. You get the picture...lol
  • Options
    fineangelfineangel Posts: 22 Member
    I get emotionally attached to my Sims, and pets! I actually cry when they die; I think I may have a problem..haha.
  • Options
    I don't know if I just want them to just disappear either though.. she has a son with one of my other played Sims and I would hate for the tree to be ruined...

All these stories just reminded me of a planned death in my legacy save! I basically only married the baby daddy and planned to kill him with exhaustion when he aged. I did! But then I felt bad and successful pleased with grimmy anyway! :D
  • Options
    DatDuckDatDuck Posts: 1 New Member
    I feel bad killing them too. Never had such a problem before in sims 3 wonder why I suddenly got so much empathy. There was this sim swimming in my pool on my lot without any invitation or friendship background. I was kinda mad and I always had this plan of creating a under ground dungeon. I locked him in there, cast my book of chaos to make him some what depressed as a punishment. Felt terrible and cooked him delicious meals (he was Hungary due to the book of chaos) didn't eat it so I had to cheat and buff all his needs to full. I was gonna kill him in the first place, was getting madder since he didn't eat my food nor the drinks I gave him. Ended up feeling terrible and send him free with full needs. Never happened before. .
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    If I'm tired of a family, I just delete them. To me, they just moved far away, I didn't kill them. I usually have a copy of them so if I want to bring them back I can.
  • Options
    simwolfsimwolf Posts: 323 Member
    @Cherryrose_x Absolutely..... I once played the aspiration where you have to witness the death of a sim and it took me forever because I didn't have the heart to kill anyone so I just had to wait for someone old to die :D In one of my saves, I'm playing with aging off outside of my played household, so when my dogs and cats get old, I move them out into the homes of relatives, like a pet retirement village. That way I don't have to see them die and I can see them around town.
    The Simwolf - happily simming since 2000
    My Sims, Saves and Challenges

Gallery: simwolf79 Twitter: @SimwolfSims
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited October 2018
    I never did as part of my gameplay. I think it says something about you as a person :D
    I did however recently had to kill a mother and her toddler (yeah I know, pretty cruel), cause the MCC mod had all my sims in town getting married and have kids within a few sim days incl. a family I placed newly in the world to be young adults enjoying San Mushino. I had to fix this mistake.