The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rags to Riches with Seasons

So, I'm a total Rags to Riches addict. Practically all of my sims start off with no house and zero simoleons in their pockets.
I love to have a goal in mind when I play and to see the evolution of their life conditions as they get more and more wealthy.
I am super excited that Seasons will add more difficulty to the challenge.
BUT
I am a little worried that the fact sims can't swin in oceans and rivers yet may make it somewhat annoying. Let me explain.

Usually, when starting a Rags to Riches challenge in Sims 3, I would start in summer, so that my sims had some time to earn a little bit of money and have a shelter before winter.
However in this iteration of Seasons, it seems sims will suffer a lot from extreme temperatures; not only from the cold this time around, but from the heat as well!
Although I think it is a nice addition, I can't help but wonder... How will I keep my sims from dying of heatstrokes when they have no money?
I get that swimming in cool water would cool them off, but it's not like they can buy a swimming pool out of the blue. Also, buying a kiddie pool or a sprinkler when you don't even have a shelter yet seems like... a weird priority, let's say.

I can't help but imagine my sims camping on the beach in Brindleton Bay and dying of an heatstroke with the sea right there in the background. :s

What do you think, can you think of other free or cheap ways for a sim to cool off?
And if you plan on doing a rags to riches challenge, what season do you think you will start in?

Comments

• Options
    Toadette12Toadette12 Posts: 193 Member
    Maybe you could have your Sims visit a public pool to cool down? I love Rags to Riches stories in the Sims as well so I'll probably end up doing that at some point with Seasons!
    TS4_EP04_WebQuiz_04.jpg
  • Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    edited June 2018
    Toadette12 wrote: »
    Maybe you could have your Sims visit a public pool to cool down? I love Rags to Riches stories in the Sims as well so I'll probably end up doing that at some point with Seasons!

Yeah but then that means we would have to go through a loading screen every few sim hours... The sims couldn't paint there, and the plants would stop growing every time they leave the lot... That's far from ideal :/
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    Rags to Riches is my favorite way to start a new game so I have been giving this a lot of thought. I do not like using community lots much when I first start out but I might have to change the way I play a bit. I am going to try adding a small natural looking pool to my parks so I can use them if heat becomes a problem. For more modern parks I might make a splash pad area with sprinklers and the water slides. It will be a fun challenge to see what other things come up now with the different types of weather.
  • Options
    michelei wrote: »
    Rags to Riches is my favorite way to start a new game so I have been giving this a lot of thought. I do not like using community lots much when I first start out but I might have to change the way I play a bit. I am going to try adding a small natural looking pool to my parks so I can use them if heat becomes a problem. For more modern parks I might make a splash pad area with sprinklers and the water slides. It will be a fun challenge to see what other things come up now with the different types of weather.

Having to play in the sprinklers of a community lot not to die from the heat could actually be pretty funny :D
    What annoys me though is that in all of those solutions you have to load another lot than yours, which means during the time you spend there your crops don't grow and you can't make money out of gardening, which is one of the main sources of money at the beginning of a rags to riches challenge. :/
  • Options
    CBroxCBrox Posts: 415 Member
    Visit a pool, the gym to shower, the library will help since you can be indoors. It'll add a whole other challenge to make it more fun and realistic :)
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    CBrox wrote: »
    Visit a pool, the gym to shower, the library will help since you can be indoors. It'll add a whole other challenge to make it more fun and realistic :)

I don't know, if my sims has to visit a pool even though they are camping on a beach ten inches from the sea, realistic isn't the word that comes to mind.
    Don't get me wrong, I am excited weather and temperature will have an effect on sims. I am just really frustrated they implemented heatstrokes without considering they should also work on the most usual and natural ways to avoid them. Like swimming in that huge body of water that is just there.
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    Making the large bodies of water swimmable must be very difficult or I think we would have them already. It is frustrating to be surrounded by these stunning but completely useless beaches. It is my great desire to have swimmable oceans eventually. I hope they remember all these limitations when choosing the game engine for sims 5 so mistakes are not repeated.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I actually have a character living by the ocean on the island in Windenburg, and I'm very excited to figure out a way to keep him out in the elements as much as possible. I know it won't necessarily be always possible but he wants to be outdoors. He does have that outdoor shower that came with OR.. bushes to do his business in and a tent... cooler.. ect. I'm guessing I might have to construct him a shelter or (since he's based on the stardew valley linus character) he will go inside a warm place if he has too. I even have a building nearby to make it most like that other game I play now and then. I'm considering other options but will wait until I see what the game brings. I'm fully excited though to figure it out.. that's part of any game.
    I'd actually also like to try some sort of apocalypse challenge in the more arid looking parts of Oasis Springs. The ideas are ticking around in my head. I know there is an official challenge but those aren't really fun for me as they usually play in ways I won't or don't. I'll probably try that when I've figured out a little more fully what the game allows me to do with my sims in these situations.
    If you focus on what you don't have to make the game work for you... it's not gonna work. That's my feeling anyway.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    illustratedhappinessillustratedhappiness Posts: 263 Member
    You could utilize the pool-effects from Get Together to make a grungy-looking swamp on your lot, and then remove money and start the challenge?

If you use the official rules it would count as cheating though, but hush I won't tell :joy:
  • Options
    You could utilize the pool-effects from Get Together to make a grungy-looking swamp on your lot, and then remove money and start the challenge?

If you use the official rules it would count as cheating though, but hush I won't tell :joy:

Yes, that's a good idea! (Well, for lack of a better implementation in the game, like swimmable oceans, or parks/pools of the same neighbourhood being open without loading screens...)
    I might just do that when Seasons come out.
    It's still going to look completely ridiculous to have a swamp area on my lot after my sim could afford a proper house and a real swimming pool though.
    But I guess it's better than not being able to do a rags to riches at all... :/

I'm disappointed there isn' t a better way to do it in the game. For me the way you can load one lot at a time especially really prevents Sims 4 from being "the best tool possible for the players to tell their stories". If at least the plants still grew on your lot when you're not there...
  • Options
    illustratedhappinessillustratedhappiness Posts: 263 Member
    loutredor wrote: »

Yes, that's a good idea! (Well, for lack of a better implementation in the game, like swimmable oceans, or parks/pools of the same neighbourhood being open without loading screens...)
    I might just do that when Seasons come out.
    It's still going to look completely ridiculous to have a swamp area on my lot after my sim could afford a proper house and a real swimming pool though.
    But I guess it's better than not being able to do a rags to riches at all... :/

I'm disappointed there isn' t a better way to do it in the game. For me the way you can load one lot at a time especially really prevents Sims 4 from being "the best tool possible for the players to tell their stories". If at least the plants still grew on your lot when you're not there...

That's true. I guess you could remove it when you don't need it anymore (and remove money you gain from it), or you could revamp it into something beautiful down the line! :smile:
  • Options
    Billysim143Billysim143 Posts: 968 Member
    I'll just cut to the chase. You have not liked any of the suggestions. Seems like the Sims 4 is not for you and you should be playing the Sims 3.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    @Billysim143 Somehow you managed to be both disrespectful and off-topic in one and only post. I play all Sims games so the one I should stick with definitely isn't the topic of this thread.

I won't bother proving your assumptions wrong as I'm sure everyone knows I appreciate the ideas, even though some of them, like the solution to go on a community lot, don't suit my playstyle.

edit: I would also like to add that I didn't create this thread to me specifically but to everyone who is interested in doing a Rags to Riches challenge with Seasons, so feel free to discuss my first post and any idea even if they didn't suit me personally :o
    Post edited by loutredor on
  • Options
    InvisibleaesInvisibleaes Posts: 1,526 Member
    I might attempt to start a rags to riches within my own play style
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    LOL I am too impatient to do a rag to riches story (I just use motherlode); but should do a proper rag to riches story someday. Maybe use a empty lot and place some bushes, a tent and some plants for food or go fishing a lot and have sims start off basically homeless as they work their way up to success. They would have to be creative to survive the harsh weather until they can build a proper home. Maybe they will have a bit of shade or a firepit and small pool or visit different lots and go swimming, etc...
  • Options
    mctsimmermctsimmer Posts: 277 Member
    Build a public pool near their lot. You can have the sim cool off on hot days.

I'm going to start a rag to rich challenge in winter. I believe only the strong survive. I don't think winter will be as harsh in this game. Other games. I've had sims almost freeze to death in a tent. I want have them in a tent and when it is cold they go to the park and warm up by the fire.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited June 2018
    Rags to Riches is my go to playstyle too. The only solution I can think of that might work depends on the conditions required to prevent heatstroke. Do you need to escape the heat or only the Sun? If you don't have to physically be inside four walls with a roof overhead, and some kind of cooling system (like AC, a pool, etc.) but just under some kind of roof (like vampires), put a roof up over your Sim's campsite.

Rooves are free and instantly available. Sure, it would have to float until you can afford some walls or columns, and it's not very realistic if that's your style too, but it would be an effective way to get out of the sun. :)

I also wonder if taking a cool shower would be effective? In that case perhaps one of those tarp showers would work to keep cool? Just a thought...

EDIT: Also, the Toddler SP came with those freestanding tarp dealios for shade. If you have that pack, it might be more realistic looking for a homeless person to use that instead of a floating roof. Again, I'm going on the assumption you just need to get away from the Sun. If you need something to cool off as well, perhaps using the tarp shade and tarp shower together would work. *shrugs*
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    I remember in previous games building my sim a small one room shack to start off and forgetting to add a roof so when it snowed it snowed on everything inside and my sim was very uncomfortable lol.

I wonder if it’s like that again and it can snow inside the house if you’re missing a roof.
  • Options
    RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member
    There is a natural pool in Windenburg; and sprinklers can help your Sim cool down as well as keep the plants watered so why not?
  • Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    I’m going to start an ultimate legacy, so with no cash, nothing... We’ll see how my founder will fare *insert evil laugh*
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options
    mctsimmer wrote: »
    I'm going to start a rag to rich challenge in winter. I believe only the strong survive. I don't think winter will be as harsh in this game. Other games. I've had sims almost freeze to death in a tent. I want have them in a tent and when it is cold they go to the park and warm up by the fire.

I like starting before winter because I like the excitement of trying to have a shelter before it comes. But if it's not too harsh starting in winter could be fun too. It all depends on what will be available to warm up. I hope sleeping in a tent and staying by the firecamp warms sims up, because that means we would be able to camp in GF during winter when there is snow everywhere, and it could be so nice and relaxing!

@Karababy52 As you say, it all depends on what is required to prevent death by freezing/heatstroke. I hope we learn more about what might warm up or cool down sims soon. I hadn't thought of the shade. Hopefully cooling down doesn't require water after all.
    I'm going to have to know more before I can decide which season to start with :p
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited June 2018
    loutredor wrote: »
    So, I'm a total Rags to Riches addict. Practically all of my sims start off with no house and zero simoleons in their pockets.
    I love to have a goal in mind when I play and to see the evolution of their life conditions as they get more and more wealthy.
    I am super excited that Seasons will add more difficulty to the challenge.
    BUT
    I am a little worried that the fact sims can't swin in oceans and rivers yet may make it somewhat annoying. Let me explain.

Usually, when starting a Rags to Riches challenge in Sims 3, I would start in summer, so that my sims had some time to earn a little bit of money and have a shelter before winter.
    However in this iteration of Seasons, it seems sims will suffer a lot from extreme temperatures; not only from the cold this time around, but from the heat as well!
    Although I think it is a nice addition, I can't help but wonder... How will I keep my sims from dying of heatstrokes when they have no money?
    I get that swimming in cool water would cool them off, but it's not like they can buy a swimming pool out of the blue. Also, buying a kiddie pool or a sprinkler when you don't even have a shelter yet seems like... a weird priority, let's say.

I can't help but imagine my sims camping on the beach in Brindleton Bay and dying of an heatstroke with the sea right there in the background. :s

What do you think, can you think of other free or cheap ways for a sim to cool off?
    And if you plan on doing a rags to riches challenge, what season do you think you will start in?

I guess I'd send them to public pools or make them have an outdoor shower / kiddie pool? But if they're kinda homeless-ish then I'd probably have them hang out at public pools during heat waves, since the entrance is free anyway. I guess at night they'll be fine? I might also make a public garden area in one of the parks where sims can go make floral arrangements together, and put a few sprinklers there to water the plants in summer. So they could go play in those sprinklers to cool off as well. Other than that, I suppose tents will keep them safe too? So if it's too hot, I guess they'll just have to go read the Wilderness Digest for a bit till the sun goes down :D
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    Because different worlds are supposed to have different climates, I'm wondering whether there will be a world where it will never get too hot in summer to overheat your sim and other worlds where it will never get too cold for them to freeze to death. If so it might have to be something you factor in when selecting starting season and world. You could even have a homeless sim move to a colder climate in the summer and a warmer climate in the winter.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,829 Member
    I plan on starting in the spring but instead off just worrying about having shelter by winter my sim will also have to worry about cooling in the summer. I can't wait!
  • Options
    enomiisenomiis Posts: 2 New Member
    > @ikiamyetta said:
    > I plan on starting in the spring but instead off just worrying about having shelter by winter my sim will also have to worry about cooling in the summer. I can't wait!

I agree, I don't think it's unrealistic to prioritize ways to stay alive over a house.