Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about campfires in OR

I recently capitulated and bought Outdoor Retreat, so that my sims could use the camping equipment on their adventures in the jungle. This makes Jungle Adventures the most expensive GP I have bought so far :p but I am also quite enjoying the additional game-play features for themselves.

One thing that bothers me, though, is that much as I like the campfires, almost every time my sims interact with one, they manage to set something alight - usually one or other of the folding chairs I put there for them to sit on, but on one occasion my male sim had his guitar catch fire while he was playing it by the fire and narrowly managed to avoid incinerating himself as well. So far none of my sims have come to harm, but this makes me very nervous.

Is the game supposed to be like this, or am I doing something wrong? I have been using the cheapest option for the campfire - the one with stones around it - because I thought it looked more natural and rustic. Is there less risk with the more expensive versions, or are they all the same? Is fire-making some sort of skill that my sims have to learn? Or must I just resign myself to not using the campfire at all?

Comments

• Options
    PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member
    Maybe you're placing the seats too close to the fire? So the items are setting alight? But like with any appliance they say the more you spend (like ovens) the less likely it breaks or sets anyone on fire? But I could be wrong?
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    Maybe you're placing the seats too close to the fire? So the items are setting alight? But like with any appliance they say the more you spend (like ovens) the less likely it breaks or sets anyone on fire? But I could be wrong?

I wondered about that too, but the seats slot into place around the fireplace like they do around a table, so there is no choice about how close to place them. If you put them further away, then the sims sitting in them won't interact with the fire.
  • Options
    FKM100 wrote: »

I wondered about that too, but the seats slot into place around the fireplace like they do around a table, so there is no choice about how close to place them. If you put them further away, then the sims sitting in them won't interact with the fire.

Maybe try the more expensive fire? Or can you get sims to upgrade the fire? (like an oven being heat resistant to flame proof?)

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    The campfire is deadly - the first time I used it, my Sim (who had full cooking skills) briefly caught fire. Her gf was off fishing, and I hadn't saved since the previous night (Sim time, that is - I save when I put my Sims to bed). Fortunately, she was just scorched, but I've heard many stories of campfire mishaps.

IIRC, the chairs slot themselves in around the campfire, so you can't scoot them away and still interact with the fire.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    I googled this issue and learned that sims will still interact with the fire even if there aren't any seats - they will stand or kneel around the fire - so I suppose the first thing I ought to do is to take all the seats away. I'll also try the more expensive fireplaces and see whether that helps at all.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Try placing the campfire outside of the lot by Place in the World interaction. Fires can only happen in active home and rental lots.
  • Options
    honeywitchhoneywitch Posts: 321 Member
    I've avoided fires by only using the tree stump seats or no seats at all.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I go to Granite Falls often with my sims but really only use the campfire to complete the aspiration.. cooking beetles. Every now and then my sim gets singed when tossing a log on the fire and I think a few times when attempting to cook. Usually it happens more with low cooking skill.
    I have heard some horror stories about weenie roasts though :D, have to have one of those sooner or later.

I did just realize I usually use the more expensive campfire... I'm sure it makes a difference. Just like the cheapest grill is more apt to catch on fire.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    edited March 2018
    The only problem I have with the campfires is that recently Sims always constantly want to add a log to the fire. That's what makes them dangerous and causes fires to surrounding chairs and Sims. They didn't use to do that all the time. Now they do.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    honeywitch wrote: »
    That sounds like it should be wrong (I mean .... wood doesn't burn????), but I'll certainly give it a try.
    The only problem I have with the campfires is that recently Sims always constantly want to add a log to the fire. That's what makes them dangerous and causes fires to surrounding chairs and Sims. They didn't use to do that all the time. Now they do.
    I've noticed that. I leave my sim warming her hands at the fire and wham - suddenly she tosses on another log and makes a huge blaze.
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Try placing the campfire outside of the lot by Place in the World interaction. Fires can only happen in active home and rental lots.
    That would be pretty much a last-resort option for me, but I'll try it if all else fails.
  • Options
    honeywitch wrote: »

I think the tree stumps look super cute

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    I think the reactions to the camp fires setting the wood benches on fire are funny but if you want to avoid the camp fires you can also use the stone stumps or stone benches or no seats at all they usually end up kneeling down or standing during ghost stories most of the time if no seats are available.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    megiaremegiare Posts: 421 Member
    I just had this happen to me, but I thought all was ok because the townie I invited on the trip was sitting next to the camp fire earlier without no issues. I think my sim (Elsa Bjersen) caught on fire because she was eating and that plate was just too close?

"This is fine." says Elsa.
    CNrfZf8.png
    aD9wyNW.jpg
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I've noticed the unusable benches around a campfire issue in my game as well. However, I was able to get them to work by using the moveobjects cheat. Just place them a small distance away from their normal slot. Sims will sit on them and do all the available campfire animations. The only downside to this is it looks a little silly. Especially when roasting anything, the end of the stick ends up over the ground instead of the fire. But it works! ;) Hopefully they will fix this at some point.
  • Options
    Well, I have managed to cut down on the number of fires by switching to the more expensive campfire and using the log or stone seating - thank you for that advice. It definitely does help, but I still have the occasional fire. Also my male sim insists on playing his guitar right up next to the fire, so he is forever setting the guitar alight. I don't suppose there is much I can do about that, except to take his guitar away altogether, which would be a pity.