Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Patch "Install" status as of Dec 2017 & store patch download removed.

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
Having had issues where my Sims 3 launcher wasn't properly downloading patches as of December 2017, I recently re-installed my OS on a formatted drive and re-installed the Sims 3 from disc. This is what I have discovered and confirmed with EA support.

As of December 2017 a disc based Sims 3 install now requires you to either super patch the game (to patch it) or install origin to install updates indirectly via launcher. Third option is to patch Sims 3 directly via origin to a disc-less patch update. Not installing origin will now return an unable to connect to download application in the launcher (which it never did before). This apparently has to do with how the Sims 3 launcher verifies with EA servers and recent updates made to that coding on EA servers. IF it does not find Origin installed it will not download patch 1.67 (before it did).

More so as of December 2017 the Sims 3 launcher will no longer install or download store patches regardless if you've installed Origin or not. The launcher will simply say the game is up to date. I believe this also relates to how server coding verification was updated and they failed to add/duplicate lines to check for store patches.

The good news if you have the "ContentPatch" directory with the ContentPatch.package backed up from the Sims 3 documents folder, you can simply place it back and it will work. If you do not, then according to EA you must either download it via a third party OR install the newer disc-less "Origin" Sims 3 patch (which is obviously what the recommend).

To note the Sims 3 store patches do fix a bunch of content (including missing content in game like hair) so if you have a lot of store content it is worth backing up your store patch contentpatch.package.

Finally this is for a disc based install of the Sims 3, for Steam based install it doesn't require origin installed (to patch) so if you want to install the game without Origin then steam would be your next option outside of super patching, installing origin. Regardless you still need to have the store contentpatch backed up otherwise as it will no longer download.

My advise is to backup your contentpatch folder found in the Sims 3 documents folder if you use a disc base install of the Sims 3 in the future.

If you do not want Origin installed but want to update Sims 3, download the super patch or update the game via the launcher with Origin installed and then uninstall Origin. Make sure to uncheck "automatic updates" after this time, otherwise you will receive "unable to connect to download manager" everytime you use the launcher. This will not effect downloading store content itself or items from the exchange.

Long story short - regardless backup your contentpatch folder for safe keeping if you have store content installed. The contentpatch.package itself found inside this folder should be just under 8MB to confirm.
Post edited by TOLKIEN on

Comments

• Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @TOLKIEN thanks for this info. :)
  • Options
    Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited February 2018
    Oops! Double post.
    Post edited by Odonata68 on
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,368 Member
    edited February 2018
    @TOLKIEN May I copy/paste your post HERE? Or would you prefer adding to this thread yourself?

@igazor Can this be considered official confirmation that the patches can be made available for download? Or do we still need to wait for an EA person to verify?
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    I will happily provide a means to install the Store Patches to anyone who requires them and is stuck without a formerly used copy from a prior install or formerly used game folder if they contact me here or at NRaas by way of PM.

NRaas will not be making them available as a downloadable link on a website facing the public until such time as EA explicitly says it is okay to do that. Although why EA can't do that as well as a courtesy to players who need them and so that they come from an official source as they do with CAW and the SuperPatcher is beyond me. I see that my request for such a statement on the other thread has thus far gone unanswered.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,368 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I will happily provide a means to install the Store Patches to anyone who requires them and is stuck without a formerly used copy of them from a prior install or formerly used game folder if they contact me here or at NRaas by way of PM.

NRaas will not be making them available as a downloadable link on a website facing the public until such time as EA explicitly says it is okay to do that. Although why EA can't do that as well as a courtesy to players who need them and so that they come from an official source as they do with CAW and the SuperPatcher is beyond me. I see that my request for such a statement on the other thread has thus far gone unanswered.

I do understand why NRaas can't officially provide them. I also don't understand why a person from EA won't officially tell us what's going on. But I'm not official, so for anyone who needs those patches, download HERE.
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    @TOLKIEN Thanks so much for this. I am contemplating a fresh disc install and this information will save me a lot of pain and grief.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    marstinsonmarstinson Posts: 367 Member
    Since I'm not as formally or informally constrained as NRaas, there is a blog post with a relevant link here:

http://www.tesguides.com/blog/2018/02/23/contentpatch-for-the-sims-3/

If EA would like to send me a take-down, I'll be happy to comply, but in light of their current nonresponsiveness on the issue, it seems simpler to ask for forgiveness than permission.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Do we need the store patch reinstalled every time we buy new store content? There are items I would still like to buy eventually, but there is no way I'm going to have my game tied to Origin and have it run in the background when I play.
  • Options
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    Do we need the store patch reinstalled every time we buy new store content? There are items I would still like to buy eventually, but there is no way I'm going to have my game tied to Origin and have it run in the background when I play.
    No, the patches are the same for everyone and they hadn't been updated since Feb 2013. The file just needs to be present in the ContentPatch folder, it appears to be read during startup on Patches 1.67 and below.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    I will happily provide a means to install the Store Patches to anyone who requires them and is stuck without a formerly used copy from a prior install or formerly used game folder if they contact me here or at NRaas by way of PM.

They may not have gotten a notification I believe they were working on the forums at the time you tried to get their attention have you tried by PM?
    I know I wasn't getting any notices that whole weekend.
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • Options
    ScottDemon wrote: »

They may not have gotten a notification I believe they were working on the forums at the time you tried to get their attention have you tried by PM?
    How do you remember the state of the forum two weekends ago? I don't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

(looks down at plate) Oh, that's because I forgot to finish eating it. This is going to be one of those days... :/

I believe that @EA_Mage can hear her name whispered on any part of the forum without even needing to be paged, but let's try this again. The relevant post being this one:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16314860/#Comment_16314860
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    edited February 2018
    ScottDemon wrote: »

How do you remember the state of the forum two weekends ago? I don't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

(looks down at plate) Oh, that's because I forgot to finish eating it. This is going to be one of those days... :/

I believe that @EA_Mage can hear her name whispered on any part of the forum without even needing to be paged, but let's try this again. The relevant post being this one:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16314860/#Comment_16314860

Oh um well I made the mistake of running for the Elders Council of my tribe other than tribal business (which there isn't much of) I have alot of time on my hands and tend to remember way to much these days (some of which I wish I could forget). :|
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • Options
    Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,996 Member
    Preserving this thread for the new forum
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet