Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is TS4 supposed to stutter now?

NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
edited January 2017 in PC - Technical Discussions
In december 2015, after the 64 bit upgrade, I remember saying how amazed I was, because TS4 became the smoothest game I've ever played, and that enabling 64 bits fixed stuttering in all my old stuttery saves. I don't really play in more than a year, so I started a new save in a completely new installation, with 64 bits enabled, no mods, and to my surprise, moving the camera stutters a lot. It's in a state where TS3 is smooth in comparison, and I called that game a stuttery mess at one point. It's a shame because I really wanted to play again, but this kind of stuttering when scrolling makes me sick and irritated. Is this something new? I know it's TS4's fault, a year ago it was super smooth and nothing in my pc changed. Is panning the camera stutter free for anyone?

I'd like to add that from december 2015 to now I've added all new pack releases, so my game now has all the content. But that can't be the reason can it? It's still early and TS4 is falling apart with the weight of it's own packs?

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Hello
    Would it be possible to take a video of the stuttering and then post it here ? It may help simmers to see the extent of your stuttering.
    Also, make sure that your graphics drivers are up to date.
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    edited January 2017
    In december 2015, after the 64 bit upgrade, I remember saying how amazed I was, because TS4 became the smoothest game I've ever played, and that enabling 64 bits fixed stuttering in all my old stuttery saves. I don't really play in more than a year, so I started a new save in a completely new installation, with 64 bits enabled, no mods, and to my surprise, moving the camera stutters a lot. It's in a state where TS3 is smooth in comparison, and I called that game a stuttery mess at one point. It's a shame because I really wanted to play again, but this kind of stuttering when scrolling makes me sick and irritated. Is this something new? I know it's TS4's fault, a year ago it was super smooth and nothing in my pc changed. Is panning the camera stutter free for anyone?

I'd like to add that from december 2015 to now I've added all new pack releases, so my game now has all the content. But that can't be the reason can it? It's still early and TS4 is falling apart with the weight of it's own packs?

That severity of your stuttering also depends on just how good of a graphics card you have. On PCs, integrated Intel graphics are absolute garbage, and yes, it's easily possible that the game is collapsing under it's own weight if you are playing on low end hardware. It is extremely common for one patch to take the game down from playable to a shambling mess when playing on integrated graphics.

What kind of specs does your PC have?
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    Would it be possible to take a video of the stuttering and then post it here ? It may help simmers to see the extent of your stuttering.
    Also, make sure that your graphics drivers are up to date.

Imagine if you scroll the camera and stop it stutters like it's 10 fps.. If that's not common I don't really know. My nvidia drivers are almost the latest, the new ones have worse performance.
  • Options
    Nearia35 wrote: »

That severity of your stuttering also depends on just how good of a graphics card you have. On PCs, integrated Intel graphics are absolute garbage, and yes, it's easily possible that the game is collapsing under it's own weight if you are playing on low end hardware. It is extremely common for one patch to take the game down from playable to a shambling mess when playing on integrated graphics.

I have a GTX 980, 8gb ram, 64 bits windows 10 and an i5-3570
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    edited January 2017

Ah, well with that I definitely would not expect such stuttering issues. :/ Have you tried switching between 32 and 64 bit mode? There have been a few people who report that 32 bit mode actually does play better for them than 64 bit, regardless of operating system.

Also, do you have Origin in game enabled? I've heard that can cause all kinds of fun problems.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

are you using vsync with that 980 card and adding the game to nvidia comtrol panel? Also dont play the game through gforce experience if you have been

aa03762d-0b8a-48ab-a6cf-9eca2c446f24_zpsr3imjd8n.png
  • Options
    Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go,to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try seeing if you still have the extent of the stuttering when playing in off line mode.
  • Options

are you using vsync with that 980 card and adding the game to nvidia comtrol panel? Also dont play the game through gforce experience if you have been

Yes, I'm using the nvidia control panel vsync, am I not supposed to do that? I play the game from a normal shortcut.
  • Options
    I disabled both origin in game and the nvidia vsync and used the in-game vsync, still bad. It amazes me how I can run a maxed out gta v and it will be super smooth, but ts4? no, too much.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited January 2017
    I disabled both origin in game and the nvidia vsync and used the in-game vsync, still bad. It amazes me how I can run a maxed out gta v and it will be super smooth, but ts4? no, too much.

I think it depends on what lot you're at. Are you getting the stutters in big restaurants or spas? Some simmers have complained about this fps issue. I'm not really having it in my game for normal house lots tho. But I think some apartments are stuttering too.

Just to add: I have all the packs too and my laptop is only with a 960m which is lower than yours. So it must be game-related, as in something in your own game that's causing the stutters to be very bad.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »

I think it depends on what lot you're at. Are you getting the stutters in big restaurants or spas? Some simmers have complained about this fps issue. I'm not really having it in my game for normal house lots tho. But I think some apartments are stuttering too.

Just to add: I have all the packs too and my laptop is only with a 960m which is lower than yours. So it must be game-related, as in something in your own game that's causing the stutters to be very bad.

It happens anywhere, in san myshuno or in an empty lot in willow creek... even there it's intense. It's kinda crazy that it happens...
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    My game stutters when zoomed out and scrolling, it's a common problem and goes with the fps drops. Oh and its not my pc LOL. GTX 1080. :D the game is just like ts3.. it plays fine for some but not others.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    My game stutters when zoomed out and scrolling, it's a common problem and goes with the fps drops. Oh and its not my pc LOL. GTX 1080. :D the game is just like ts3.. it plays fine for some but not others.

I thought TS4 was different... But it happens here too. It doesn't need to be too zoomed out, sometimes even the sim moving with the camera locked will stutter.
  • Options

Yes, I'm using the nvidia control panel vsync, am I not supposed to do that? I play the game from a normal shortcut.

OK good. Yes you are supposed to use vsync with that nice video card :) My son has the 980 ti
  • Options
    JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    edited January 2017

I thought TS4 was different... But it happens here too. It doesn't need to be too zoomed out, sometimes even the sim moving with the camera locked will stutter.

Did ya turn off the internet connection for the game?
    the reason is that the game is constantly sending and connecting to EA's server...so that's why it stutters.
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• Options
    JasonRMJ wrote: »

the reason is that the game is constantly sending and connecting to EA's server...so that's why it stutters.

Disabled all online features. Still comically bad. Comical because there's apparently no reason it should be happening but here I am...
  • Options

Disabled all online features. Still comically bad. Comical because there's apparently no reason it should be happening but here I am...

@rosemow and @luthienrising what guru should be call in to take a look at this issue. OP has a very high end card. They obviously take care of their computer and know what they are doing and I agree this should not be happening
  • Options

@rosemow and @luthienrising what guru should be call in to take a look at this issue. OP has a very high end card. They obviously take care of their computer and know what they are doing and I agree this should not be happening

Hello
    @SimGuruNick may be able to help with the issue.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, I think it would be good to get a guru to look into this. OP shouldn't be getting those kinda of stutters with their card and on empty lots on zoomed in view. The game's fps is bad but it's not THAT bad.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options

To get stutter and tearing when not even moving the camera is not right. I cannot test with the full game because i only own 1 expansion.
    Have you completely disabled all background tasks?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member

even the world is small how is it that it will stutter?
    it just doesn't add up
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• Options

it just doesn't add up

There is something wrong with the game. It's not just the stutter on high end machines. High end machines are also getting serious fps drops and EA really need to check into all of this. There are a lot of unhappy customers posting all over tech and bugs section.
  • Options

it just doesn't add up

It only stutters when on zoom out. I don't know what's happening in your game cuz it's stuttering even on zoom in which doesn't happen in mine. I can't really say it has something to do with the game conflicting with your specs.

Have you tried resetting the TS4 folder tho? And see if that helps?
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »

it just doesn't add up

It only stutters when on zoom out. I don't know what's happening in your game cuz it's stuttering even on zoom in which doesn't happen in mine. I can't really say it has something to do with the game conflicting with your specs.

Have you tried resetting the TS4 folder tho? And see if that helps?

I tried that... even with a new install it behaves that way. Does any nvidia user has problems with a recent driver? My version is 375.95.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The newest driver is 376.33
    I would update to the newest as Nvidia did have a problem with one of the previous drivers that made performance in all games terrible.
    I have 376.33 and is working well in the games i have tested it in.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide