Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Oh No It Didn't!

jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
Something happened to my game after a BSOD and there was a memory dump and my game would not play, there was some cc that needed to be removed. I did that and went in an also fixed my game, well when I went in my whole game was gone and now I have nothing in my library. I was really into those sims, and I wanted to keep them. Some of them are re-makes from the gallery, but now I can't find them, and some feel it is wrong to save the sims someone else makes to your gallery, but I see no other way to be able to save them next time but to do this. I will give credit to the original creators, as I always do. Is it wrong for me to put these sims on the gallery so I do not lose them? Also I thought if you fixed your game, you do not lose your library. I have lost everything here. I have nothing in my game anymore. I put in an old save from my external hard drive, but it still did not bring back my library. I got out of that save as it was so old and it was not what I wanted to play and all my sims with cc were all naked and bald, so now I am starting from scratch. I took some families off the gallery so I can start to play. I also need to redo the world with some venues, so now I would like to keep these sims on the gallery or is there another way, as the library does not seem to save to my external hard drive. Am I doing something wrong? @SimGuruNick

Comments

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    Something happened to my game after a BSOD and there was a memory dump and my game would not play, there was some cc that needed to be removed. I did that and went in an also fixed my game, well when I went in my whole game was gone and now I have nothing in my library. I was really into those sims, and I wanted to keep them. Some of them are re-makes from the gallery, but now I can't find them, and some feel it is wrong to save the sims someone else makes to your gallery, but I see no other way to be able to save them next time but to do this. I will give credit to the original creators, as I always do. Is it wrong for me to put these sims on the gallery so I do not lose them? Also I thought if you fixed your game, you do not lose your library. I have lost everything here. I have nothing in my game anymore. I put in an old save from my external hard drive, but it still did not bring back my library. I got out of that save as it was so old and it was not what I wanted to play and all my sims with cc were all naked and bald, so now I am starting from scratch. I took some families off the gallery so I can start to play. I also need to redo the world with some venues, so now I would like to keep these sims on the gallery or is there another way, as the library does not seem to save to my external hard drive. Am I doing something wrong? @SimGuruNick

If you back up your Tray folder (from your Sims 4 folder) regularly (either on a flash drive or just another folder on your computer), that will preserve your Library contents in case of another incident. Also back up your Saves folder and your options.ini file (so you can keep your game settings if you have to re-install). You could also back up your Mods folder to preserve your CC but I'd rather use that opportunity to double check mods/CC to make sure they're not broken.

For Mac users, if you use the Time Machine backup feature with an external hard drive, you can usually find an older version of your Sims 4 file with everything intact, and you can just copy the information from there then paste it into your current Sims 4 folder. (My Mac is currently in storage while my husband and I are relocating, but I did that quite a bit with documents that I'd accidentally delete only to need them a week or so later :/ ).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options

If you back up your Tray folder (from your Sims 4 folder) regularly (either on a flash drive or just another folder on your computer), that will preserve your Library contents in case of another incident. Also back up your Saves folder and your options.ini file (so you can keep your game settings if you have to re-install). You could also back up your Mods folder to preserve your CC but I'd rather use that opportunity to double check mods/CC to make sure they're not broken.

For Mac users, if you use the Time Machine backup feature with an external hard drive, you can usually find an older version of your Sims 4 file with everything intact, and you can just copy the information from there then paste it into your current Sims 4 folder. (My Mac is currently in storage while my husband and I are relocating, but I did that quite a bit with documents that I'd accidentally delete only to need them a week or so later :/ ).

I did not back up my ini folder but did back-up my saves folder but for some reason lost that to this old save. I will now back up the options ini folder thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Another option for backup would be a cloud-based backup like Dropbox -- you can sign up and get 2GB free which should be enough to save whatever is in your Tray, plus your Saves if they're not too huge (I just checked my Tray and Saves folders and they're only about 350MB total). If your computer absolutely dies and you have to get a new one, it will be easy to restore your contents after you re-install the game.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,777 Member
    Wow, I didn't realize we could lose our Library. I keep my Sims there, since I don't normally save them to the Gallery. But losing the Library is disconcerting. Yikes.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    Do you have any saves still in your save file? I had this happen to me, sort of, and @rosemow had me go back to a save that was closest to the time that it happened and pull from that file. Unfortunately I had lost a whole day of play and my fav sim also, but if you have any saves left maybe you could use off of that.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,642 Member
    edited September 2016
    Hello
    Your creations that you save to your library either from your game or that your save from the gallery are in your Documents-electronic arts -sims 4 - tray folder. It would be best to keep a back up copy of both this folder as well as your saves folder. To keep a back up copy on an external drive, you need to copy the folder from the sims 4 folder to the external drive. Then if issues occur, you can copy back the folders into wherever your sims 4 folder is installed.

If you need to roll back to an earlier save game version because a save game is not appearing , these links explain how to do that.
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-restore-a-previous-saved-game-in-the-sims-4/
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783120/how-to-roll-back-your-save/p1
  • Options
    foxx_fennecfoxx_fennec Posts: 761 Member
    Did you favorite the Sims from the Gallery or just download them? If you favorited them, you can view your favorites from your Gallery profile to find them again.
    Origin ID: foxx-fennec
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

What's a BSOD?
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Did you favorite the Sims from the Gallery or just download them? If you favorited them, you can view your favorites from your Gallery profile to find them again.

Strangely though, if you use the website gallery, you can't download them more than once.
    I got Dylan (we all know Dylan!) off the website, then lost him from my library somehow lol, and the website only listed him as already downloaded, wouldn't let me redownload. Even EA customer support couldn't think to help, until someone, I think it was rosemow, advised me to use the in-game gallery; that's how I got him back.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    foxx_fennecfoxx_fennec Posts: 761 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    What's a BSOD?

Blue Screen of Death (aka computer crash)
    Origin ID: foxx-fennec
  • Options

I never knew what that was for. I will have to remember to do that thank you.
  • Options
    BabySquare wrote: »

What's a BSOD?

Blue Screen of Death.
  • Options
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    Your creations that you save to your library either from your game or that your save from the gallery are in your Documents-electronic arts -sims 4 - tray folder. It would be best to keep a back up copy of both this folder as well as your saves folder. To keep a back up copy on an external drive, you need to copy the folder from the sims 4 folder to the external drive. Then if issues occur, you can copy back the folders into wherever your sims 4 folder is installed.

If you need to roll back to an earlier save game version because a save game is not appearing , these links explain how to do that.
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-restore-a-previous-saved-game-in-the-sims-4/
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783120/how-to-roll-back-your-save/p1

Since one of the patches my game has not been saving anymore than two saves, and one of those saves I lost along with everything else. I am playing the one that I did not lose but that only has other things in it, not the save I wanted. Also there is never anything in my cache files so I guess I have to start saving better. I play in rotation, so the game saves the rotational played games, and the one that is good that I can use was from another beginning of the game, where I was making the world. I saved that to the hard drive, but I have nothing in my library anymore. Just the base game things. So I guess it is like a new game.