Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone knowledge in Child Support + taxes?

So, xx was ordered to pay child support back in may. 60 a week. Has not made one single payment.
They told xx at the court date that if he was up to date on his CP he can file my daughter on his taxes.
HOWEVER they never go into details about what happens if he doesnt stay up to date.
Do we just claim her? Or?
What happens if he claims her without being up to date?
If he doesn't stay up to date, I would have no reason to give him her SS number right?

I know its not time to file yet, however im super stressed and need to plan everything or atleast prepare myself.
giphy.gif

Comments

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited August 2016
    Disclaimer: I am not an attorney nor an accountant! I have only an amateur, layman's rough knowledge of family law and tax law. I could be wrong! "Some guy on the Internet" is not a safe source of tax advice! :D

Even if he is paying child support, if she's living in your household as a dependent, you can claim her also. In fact, you should - it's a deduction.

If he isn't up to date, he doesn't get to claim that deduction.

What I am not at all clear on, and you should check to find out, is whether if he does pay you child support, whether that qualifies as taxable income for you. I know in the US, there is a toll-free number you can call the IRS directly to ask questions, for free. I would assume other countries have similar services. Their info will be more accurate and up to date than mine.