Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

why can't I cook in my own restaurant

ok I did put a thread about this in the right place, but no replies. maybe it will be seen here and someone can help me. I built a restaurant and I want my house hold to run it, to cook, host and be a waiter. why can't I or how can I employ my own household??

Comments

• Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    You can't.
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    HyeionHyeion Posts: 522 Member
    ... You can't.
    But, you can try to make a Restaurant with Bed, basic stuff separately, and "live" there.
    mfCdivN.gif

Origin ID: Hyeion
  • Options
    lejoninnalejoninna Posts: 4,287 Member
    bc the sims 4 is the worst thing in the world ofc!!!
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    edited August 2016
    lejoninna wrote: »
    bc the sims 4 is the worst thing in the world ofc!!!

xTiTnjwD1522I72s0M.gif
    Had to soz lol
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    There is a way to hire someone you may want, although it's a bit complicated and you still wouldn't be able to make it one of your family unless it's family members that don't live in the same household. I think they either have to be marked "unplayed" or marked "Unplayed" and not living in the world. If you look up one of CaptainSauce's videos, I think he explained it when he was trying to hire some of his characters at his sims' restaurant.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    I figured this out when I made a sim who's dream it was to own a restaurant. I gradually saved her money, kept her house small and slowly transferred all her money from the chef career to her restaurant lot and built her an adorable country style cafe. I got her cooking to 10, gourmet cooking to like 7, baking to 5 etc. and finally opened the restaurant only TO FIND SHE COULDN'T COOK THERE. I swear sometimes I just want to uninstall the whole mess.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,790 Member
    Well, that's a bummer. But, I'm hoping to be able to afford a restaurant (which means I'll have to wait until my Legacy Challenge is over), to explore being a Manager, which is basically what we, as players, are allowed to do. Face/palm.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Simfreak982Simfreak982 Posts: 121 Member
    I've made peace with the fact that we can't have our families run restaurants.
    But I actually can't cook on my lot, as in, I have my family living on the restaurant lot and they've been yelling at each other when another household member tries to cook food for them to eat outside of restaurant hours. What's up with that??
  • Options
    BeanfootBeanfoot Posts: 602 Member
    But I actually can't cook on my lot, as in, I have my family living on the restaurant lot and they've been yelling at each other when another household member tries to cook food for them to eat outside of restaurant hours. What's up with that??

That's weird, did you lock the doors to staff only?
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member

That happened to, the sim that actually purchased the restaurant was happy to cook, but as soon as her room mate tried to cook she got shouted at by the original sim that bought it and another housemate. weird.
  • Options
    GrilledFamilyGrilledFamily Posts: 34 Member
    As if the lack on new interactions wasn't bad enough..
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2016

You must build the lot and lock the door to living quarters. There you can place a reg. stove and use it. But keep the living quarters rooms locked from the restaurant part. And use a reg. stove in the living quarters. However, they will not be able to use a dining table in the living quarters those auto belong to the restaurant.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,646 Member
    Hello
    You are unable to have your sims household members work as a chef, waiter or host at the restaurants.
    This though is a tutorial that may help you to hire your own sims that you have created that you would like to employ for your restaurant.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/889921/tutorial-on-how-to-hire-your-own-sims-you-made-to-work-in-your-restaurant/p1
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    ok I did put a thread about this in the right place, but no replies. maybe it will be seen here and someone can help me. I built a restaurant and I want my house hold to run it, to cook, host and be a waiter. why can't I or how can I employ my own household??

Because they didn't coded it, simple. They had issues and so, even after having the GP in production for over 7 months they couldn't do it.

It's not like in TS2.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,646 Member

That happened to, the sim that actually purchased the restaurant was happy to cook, but as soon as her room mate tried to cook she got shouted at by the original sim that bought it and another housemate. weird.

This thread on the AHQ EA thread refers to the issue. You may like to post feedback on the thread.
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-DO-Inappropriate-behavior-in-Sim-s-restaurant/m-p/5387818#M25246
  • Options
    NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    If you buy your sims the Always Welcome trait they can cook in the restaurants and other sims houses etc. It's because of a new-ish game mechanic added in a free patch a while ago. Now sims find it rude when non-household members cook in their homes etc. They will give the non household member 3 warnings and then chuck them out. There is a cool down period, after that you can knock to get back in.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    I dont know why this wasnt an option in the first place. hopefully itll be added into a later patch
  • Options
    I dont know why this wasnt an option in the first place. hopefully itll be added into a later patch

I'm pretty sure it won't be...unfortunately. I don't think the devs have ever gone back to a released pack and added new features.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

It won't be. Like I said, they had issues with it, supposedly too many of them, so they didn't add it.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    something else I'm not to happy with, I moved the purchaser to a new lot, 8 adults was getting to much. But she no longer owned the restaurant, I was so disappointed. there should be the option of who actually owns it, one sim or more. and if one sim it should go with her when she moves.
    on a side note, I am using the restaurant cookers in my regular homes, wouldn't it be great if we could put a microwave on the cooker shelf.
  • Options
    something else I'm not to happy with, I moved the purchaser to a new lot, 8 adults was getting to much. But she no longer owned the restaurant, I was so disappointed. there should be the option of who actually owns it, one sim or more. and if one sim it should go with her when she moves.
    on a side note, I am using the restaurant cookers in my regular homes, wouldn't it be great if we could put a microwave on the cooker shelf.

I've read of other people who have had this issue. I just moved lots with my restaurant owner and he still owns the restaurant after the move. I think when you split a household, even if you control the restaurant owner the game treats the newly moved sim as a new household and so the restaurant gets auto sold.

It's best to do it in steps. Move out the sims you don't want to control anymore. Move your restaurant sim onto the lot you want. Move the other sims back into the family home. That way the restaurant owning sim should still own the restaurant.

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

When they did the walk through/Q &A one of the gurus said he didn't think it would be fun to play that way.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

When they did the walk through/Q &A one of the gurus said he didn't think it would be fun to play that way.

They said that about adding washing machines and dryers... couldn't think how to add them so that they would be fun. :neutral:

• Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Wow thats pretty ridiculous. Im glad I know this now before ever buying it. What is up with this game?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member

I still don't understand why their opinion over what is fun or not takes precedence over what many players asked for. We're supposed to rule, right? :angry: