The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do most people think that toddlers will eventually happen?

SilentGirl490SilentGirl490 Posts: 506 Member
I would be very happy if they added toddlers to the Sims 4 but I am not sure if it will happen. Did the Sims team say somewhere that toddlers will be added in the future?

I really don't think it will ever happen in the Sims 4 even though many people want it very badly. The Sims Team doesn't seem to be focusing on what people really want and just what they assume people want and party packs/expansions.

I personally don't care if they add toddlers but it would be cool if they did.
Post edited by SilentGirl490 on

Comments

• Options
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    Because it's going to end badly for the support for the game in the long run if they do not. And more importantly, it would be a devastating hit to the trust people would give them for their next iteration, if there is one.

I agree that they would lose many fans if they do not include this but I just don't see why everyone assumes they will add it eventually. I do think it would be cool to have toddlers but I don't believe they will actually add them in the future, if they do then that would be great though.

• Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Because it's going to end badly for the support for the game in the long run if they do not. And more importantly, it would be a devastating hit to the trust people would give them for their next iteration, if there is one.

Agreed. It might save them money in the short term but it will have long term effects.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Personally, I haven't found all the added content to be about "partying".

The Sims 4 Get Together, Movie Stuff Pack (to watch movies with friends), Luxury Party Stuff, Perfect Patio Stuff, Spooky Stuff (Halloween Parties) and even Outdoor retreat is about getting together with people and camping. I don't mind this, I actually like all the expansions/packs but I know a lot of people are unhappy that the team seems so focused on the partying aspect of the game rather than other things like Pets, University, Family interactions, weather, toddlers etc.

Again this isn't me who is upset, I like the games but many other people have complained about it.
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    The short answer: Not everyone does.

I consider myself a realist and generally try to avoid wild speculation. And as far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to believe that toddlers will ever be added to TS4, nor is there any reason to believe that it's an impossibility. It's up in the air, and that's it. It will remain so until and unless the folks at Maxis ever deign to actually announce any decision, one way or the other.

I'm not personally all that invested in toddlers. If they're never added, it won't make that much difference to me personally. That said, I'm definitely on the side of 'there should be toddlers' rather than they should be left out. Simply because they've been a regular life stage in the base game ever since there -were- life stages, and they do fill out the whole growth sequence of a Sim. I mean, seriously, it -is- a bit odd, IMO, to transition directly from newborn to sixish-year-old. But I can live and generally enjoy the game without them.

Obviously it's a very personal thing, with different people feeling differently, which is basically what I'm trying to say here. As always, saying things like 'everyone thinks' is grossly inaccurate.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options

I agree that they would lose many fans if they do not include this but I just don't see why everyone assumes they will add it eventually. I do think it would be cool to have toddlers but I don't believe they will actually add them in the future, if they do then that would be great though.

Okay, here's the deal. If it is proving technically difficult or impossible to implement toddlers into the game (which is my biggest worry/fear) then they need to say so. Especially if it's proving impossible. They need to be honest about it so that players won't continue to expect them, and then, more importantly, the devs need to stop trying to work on them. That's IF it's absolutely impossible. If it's just proving difficult and they're working on them and they are just encountering hurdles but feel they can eventually get around those hurdles and add them in, by all means continue to work on them.

if it's not a technical issue, they should be aware a large number of the player base do want toddlers added in, and they should really follow where the money comes from, the player base, and work towards giving the players what they want, instead of what they devs think they should try.

I just don't get why they expect them at all, unless the team has said "eventually we will add toddlers" I don't understand why everyone expects it to happen and is disappointed when it doesn't. Yes I would like toddlers and tons of people want them but there is a difference between wanting and expecting something to happen that was never promised.

I think it would make so many people happy to have it and I hope they do add them so people can be happy about it but I don't expect it to happen unless they promise it or state it will. I think they should give the players what they want but have noticed they don't seem as focused anymore on giving people what they want and I am not sure why that is.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

The Sims 4 Get Together, Movie Stuff Pack (to watch movies with friends), Luxury Party Stuff, Perfect Patio Stuff, Spooky Stuff (Halloween Parties) and even Outdoor retreat is about getting together with people and camping. I don't mind this, I actually like all the expansions/packs but I know a lot of people are unhappy that the team seems so focused on the partying aspect of the game rather than other things like Pets, University, Family interactions, weather, toddlers etc.

Again this isn't me who is upset, I like the games but many other people have complained about it.

Yes, but a lot of those expansions didn't come to other series til 2-3 yrs in. We are still only 1 1/2 yrs in to 4.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    A lot of people don't.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,845 Member
    edited May 2016
    I do believe it was in the wording used when they made the initial announcement that they had to 'pull toddlers from the game' at the last minute. I don't have the quote, nor do I have a clue as to where to find it, but the wording was on the order that they pulled the toddlers because they weren't finished with them and needed more time to get them right. In the best interest of the game, decided it best to just pull them. Basically, they left the door open on the subject, inferring by the words used that they would be back once the interactions were completed. Also, others who are more savvy than me, could see in the game coding a slot for another life-stage, which makes sense, since toddlers were intended to be there, but for the fact their time to fully complete them was curtailed. To top it off, there's been a thread about what we, as players, want in the toddlers that has been 'sticky-noted' in the General forum. I believe something is in the works.

Also @fullspiral, I agree. Not everything is about partying, but there is a lot, even so. Even GT is about a group coming together to do stuff but it does add a nice layer to game play.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Ayradyss wrote: »

I consider myself a realist and generally try to avoid wild speculation. And as far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to believe that toddlers will ever be added to TS4, nor is there any reason to believe that it's an impossibility. It's up in the air, and that's it. It will remain so until and unless the folks at Maxis ever deign to actually announce any decision, one way or the other.

I'm not personally all that invested in toddlers. If they're never added, it won't make that much difference to me personally. That said, I'm definitely on the side of 'there should be toddlers' rather than they should be left out. Simply because they've been a regular life stage in the base game ever since there -were- life stages, and they do fill out the whole growth sequence of a Sim. I mean, seriously, it -is- a bit odd, IMO, to transition directly from newborn to sixish-year-old. But I can live and generally enjoy the game without them.

Obviously it's a very personal thing, with different people feeling differently, which is basically what I'm trying to say here. As always, saying things like 'everyone thinks' is grossly inaccurate.

I am not saying what everyone else thinks but since there are literally new threads about toddlers each day and people talk about it on here quite a bit I think it is safe to assume a large majority would like toddlers and expect it to happen, this isn't an opinion but based on what is in this forum. The point I don't understand is why people expect it in this game. When sims 4 was announced they said no toddlers will be in this game, but for some reason people expect it. There is a different between expecting something and wanting something to happen. I want it to happen but do not expect it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    A lot of people don't.

I never said every single person does but again since people post topics about it all the time on here with threads that have like 50 pages and people talk about it very often I think it is same to assume a large majority does want toddlers. This isn't my opinion but based on being on here for years and reading what everyone is posting, I see more people for toddlers than against or indifferent.

When someone says "everyone" they don't mean literally, it is an expression used to emphasize that a large majority of people want something or think something. I don't think it is difficult to understand this.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

Same. I think it's what you make it out to be. Movie Hangout, Outdoor Retreat, Spooky Stuff, and Get Together all have very solid options for family play. Luxury Party Stuff and possibly Perfect Patio are, to me, the most party oriented packs. The rest are open to however you want to use them--if you only see ways to party, then that's how you're going to play them and that's what you're stuck with, I guess.

I pretty much agree with this, though I land more on the side of believing that they will add them back in by way of a patch unless they literally cannot figure out how to make them work, of course. But I'm also not personally invested in toddlers so I'm happy either way. I do think they should be in the game and would play with them if they were, but I'm happy with the game as is, so it's not a make or break sort of thing for me.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,873 Member

Okay, here's the deal. If it is proving technically difficult or impossible to implement toddlers into the game (which is my biggest worry/fear) then they need to say so. Especially if it's proving impossible. They need to be honest about it so that players won't continue to expect them, and then, more importantly, the devs need to stop trying to work on them. That's IF it's absolutely impossible. If it's just proving difficult and they're working on them and they are just encountering hurdles but feel they can eventually get around those hurdles and add them in, by all means continue to work on them.

if it's not a technical issue, they should be aware a large number of the player base do want toddlers added in, and they should really follow where the money comes from, the player base, and work towards giving the players what they want, instead of what they devs think they should try.

I just don't get why they expect them at all, unless the team has said "eventually we will add toddlers" I don't understand why everyone expects it to happen and is disappointed when it doesn't. Yes I would like toddlers and tons of people want them but there is a difference between wanting and expecting something to happen that was never promised.

I think it would make so many people happy to have it and I hope they do add them so people can be happy about it but I don't expect it to happen unless they promise it or state it will. I think they should give the players what they want but have noticed they don't seem as focused anymore on giving people what they want and I am not sure why that is.

I don't know if expects is really the right word. I think it's more that given the vocal (well, for being written words) response to no toddlers, and the amount of requests for them, it doesn't make sense for it to be in EA/Maxis' best interest for them to not be coming, if they are possible to implement in the game. The only logical reason they should not show up eventually is if, as I said before, it's proven technically impossible to add them in. So I guess it's a logical thinking that given their silence on the issue, the assumption is that until they say "no toddlers ever" it's likely they will be coming at some point.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options

I am not saying what everyone else thinks but since there are literally new threads about toddlers each day and people talk about it on here quite a bit I think it is safe to assume a large majority would like toddlers and expect it to happen, this isn't an opinion but based on what is in this forum. The point I don't understand is why people expect it in this game. When sims 4 was announced they said no toddlers will be in this game, but for some reason people expect it. There is a different between expecting something and wanting something to happen. I want it to happen but do not expect it.

Read my above post. I would also add that, we were told, initially, all life-stages would be in Sims4. But then came the mantra, "Things change". Nor were we told until the very last minute that toddlers were or had been yanked. I know because I had already, finally, bought the game on pre-order and over the weekend just prior to game release I had a conversation with my daughter, wondering if I should cancel my pre-order and get my seventy bucks back.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2016

That's a 10 year old child - not a six year old - If it was six they would have to have a baby sitter.... technically speaking anyway...

As to why we expect it to happen is because when a ton of us were cancelling our pre-orders after it was verified in July 2014 that toddlers and other things would not be in the base game "AT LAUNCH" - the devs were quick to indicate it was due to a lack of time to properly do them right, as well as other things that were also "missing" and we were more or less promised they would come along with pools, ghosts, and other things we were going on about. If they said what they said to totally keep us from cancelling our pre orders - well technically that would be illegal to knowingly deceive the public. They can hide all the twitch tv Q & A's they want or even edict out all the references they had to those revelations of them promising these things would come to the game - in their words "so as not to shoehorn them in", but they cannot erase our having seen and heard these things which I know in my case and at least several cases of my family members who went ahead with the pre-orders believing that promise that truly indicated the toddlers would be added after pools and ghosts or there abouts. We are still waiting and quite frankly getting rather fed up and feeling totally deceived...

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options

I don't know if expects is really the right word. I think it's more that given the vocal (well, for being written words) response to no toddlers, and the amount of requests for them, it doesn't make sense for it to be in EA/Maxis' best interest for them to not be coming, if they are possible to implement in the game. The only logical reason they should not show up eventually is if, as I said before, it's proven technically impossible to add them in. So I guess it's a logical thinking that given their silence on the issue, the assumption is that until they say "no toddlers ever" it's likely they will be coming at some point.

I do think expect is the right word because people do expect it to eventually happen and they are disappointed when it doesn't. Since toddlers were never promised I just don't understand why people think it will happen. Again big different between wanting something and expecting it. Why would they have to say "no toddlers ever" to convince people? Sure people can want them, just like I want pets in my game but I don't expect it to happen because they never promised it to me at all.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,873 Member

I do think expect is the right word because people do expect it to eventually happen and they are disappointed when it doesn't. Since toddlers were never promised I just don't understand why people think it will happen. Again big different between wanting something and expecting it. Why would they have to say "no toddlers ever" to convince people? Sure people can want them, just like I want pets in my game but I don't expect it to happen because they never promised it to me at all.

Expect/assume. Tah-may-to, ta-mah-to. The choices are to expect/assume or to not expect/assume. You pretty much have to do one or the other. One could easily make a thread about "why do so many people assume toddlers won't be coming" as well. Which would be fine. It's okay to have both types of threads.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    @SilentGirl490 : The did say so in the beginning. It may even have been SimguruGraham. I don't have the quote and please, if someone knows where to find it, please post it, again. All life-stages were to be in the game. Then, like I stated in an earlier post, at the very last minute it was announced no toddlers. This was like on a Thursday or a Friday, because I had just pre-ordered (and paid in full) for the disk version when they made such an announcement. That weekend, which was just before the release, I seriously considered canceling the pre-order and getting my money back.
  • Options

Expect/assume. Tah-may-to, ta-mah-to. The choices are to expect/assume or to not expect/assume. You pretty much have to do one or the other. One could easily make a thread about "why do so many people assume toddlers won't be coming" as well. Which would be fine. It's okay to have both types of threads.

Huge difference is the vast majority of people expect toddlers to happen based on what people talk about each day on here for over a year. There are far less that think it will not happen. I am not saying it isn't ok to have these threads, I just don't understand why people expect it when it was never promised. Wanting something and expecting are different things and I just had trouble understanding why people expect something that was not promised. Like I said I want toddlers but don't expect it.
  • Options
    @SilentGirl490 : The did say so in the beginning. It may even have been SimguruGraham. I don't have the quote and please, if someone knows where to find it, please post it, again. All life-stages were to be in the game. Then, like I stated in an earlier post, at the very last minute it was announced no toddlers. This was like on a Thursday or a Friday, because I had just pre-ordered (and paid in full) for the disk version when they made such an announcement. That weekend, which was just before the release, I seriously considered canceling the pre-order and getting my money back.

At the very beginning when it was announced they said there would be all life stages, then we find out before the release there would be no toddlers so they stated "no toddlers", now years later people expect it. Wanting it is fine but unless they promised toddlers somewhere I don't get why people expect it instead of just wanting it.
  • Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    I skimmed the thread but I think their choice of words prior to launch (strong foundation blah blah) made people feel more secure that they were coming. Also from a business standpoint it makes sense. Why wouldn't you want to have more sales by including content your consumers want? But every announcement that is not toddlers makes me lose more hope. I haven't touched the game in months because I finally just got tired of supporting them in hopes of them delivering. Maybe I'll buy the new stuff, I don't know.

Also love the icon OP.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    I am not trying to argue at all. I think that it is totally fine to want toddlers, I want them too but I never understood why people just expect it. I want pets but don't expect that to happen in the Sims 4. It would be great to have it but since I don't expect it I don't have the disappointment when it does not happen.