Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Omg I fixed my zoom out fps drop!

I know I'm not the only one to encounter this issue and today, after upgrading my pc, the darn thing is at last gone.
As it turns out, my cpu was the cause. I assume it was bottlenecking my gpu because the usage was always below 50% while my cpu ranged from 70%-100%. After finally replacing that old thing, no more frame drops, it's barely noticeable even when I move the camera around like a maniac in a house filled with cc. I can not tell you all how happy I am, that minor thing was really bugging me.
hhHD2XB.png
My tumblr - A world of clutter and color

Comments

• Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Amiutza wrote: »
    I know I'm not the only one to encounter this issue and today, after upgrading my pc, the darn thing is at last gone.
    As it turns out, my cpu was the cause. I assume it was bottlenecking my gpu because the usage was always below 50% while my cpu ranged from 70%-100%. After finally replacing that old thing, no more frame drops, it's barely noticeable even when I move the camera around like a maniac in a house filled with cc. I can not tell you all how happy I am, that minor thing was really bugging me.

What cpu did you have and what cpu did you get? What gpu do you have?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member

I had the i5 3570k and switched to the I7 6700k. Why I say my 960 was being bottlenecked is because I was keeping and eye on my afterburner and the load on the gpu was tops 50% while now it goes up to 80. I'm stuck with the 960 until nvidia releases their new cards, but so far so good.
    hhHD2XB.png
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

I had the i5 3570k and switched to the I7 6700k. Why I say my 960 was being bottlenecked is because I was keeping and eye on my afterburner and the load on the gpu was tops 50% while now it goes up to 80. I'm stuck with the 960 until nvidia releases their new cards, but so far so good.

afterburner is not accurate on either one of my computers. I would not use it for monitoring your pc. This would be better http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html Bottlenecking is when your cpu is too slow for the gpu but that would not be the case for a 960 with an i5. The game is just messed up and you should not need an i7 skylake to fix fps issues. It was not your cpu but the game programing is messed up. Several people with high end computer have fps issues with this game
  • Options
    edited April 2016

No way will the i5 3570 bottleneck a 960.
    What other games do you play? did you test with other games?
    Honestly i do not think you needed to upgrade at all.. the 960 does not need a 6th gen i7.
    My games play perfectly fine.. i have 17 3770 (stock) and a overclocked 970.. i have zero bottleneck i play some demanding stuff.
    If it was just ts4 you were testing it on then.. thats not a fair test because the game is NOT optimized.
    Post edited by chesterbigbird on
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

Honestly i do not think you needed to upgrade at all.. the 960 does not need a 6th gen i7.
    My games play perfectly fine.. i have 17 3770 (stock) and a overclocked 970.. i have zero bottleneck i play some demanding stuff.
    If it was just ts4 you were testing it on then.. thats not a fair test because the game is NOT optimized.
    I agree that it was most likely this game that did the bottle necking and I definitely agree I shouldn't be needing a Skylake to fix that. However, my whole pc runs so much better, the difference is massive so it was very worth making the jump. Oh and for the 960, ofc it isn't needed, but I really wanted to upgrade now instead of waiting until the end of the year for new gpus.

And thanks @phoebebebe13 for the program, I'll get that one. I know plenty of people are having fps drops, but for me, the biggest issue was the zoom out one where it could even go as high as mid 20s and as far as I can tell, it has almost magically disappeared.
    hhHD2XB.png
  • Options

I agree that it was most likely this game that did the bottle necking and I definitely agree I shouldn't be needing a Skylake to fix that. However, my whole pc runs so much better, the difference is massive so it was very worth making the jump. Oh and for the 960, ofc it isn't needed, but I really wanted to upgrade now instead of waiting until the end of the year for new gpus.

And thanks @phoebebebe13 for the program, I'll get that one. I know plenty of people are having fps drops, but for me, the biggest issue was the zoom out one where it could even go as high as mid 20s and as far as I can tell, it has almost magically disappeared.

Your welcome. Many are having that same issue with zoom out and fps drops with higher cards than yours. . Its the game. Yes the i7 skylake will out perform your i5 3000 series, I just hope you did not upgrade the cpu if your only playing the sims. The sims does not warrant an i7 skylake. My son has one with a 980 ti but he heavy games. I have an i5 4000 series with a 960
  • Options

The performance difference shouldn't be massive, because as far as i know the sims 4 does not utilize hyper threading. (not many (if any) games do.)
    So essentially the difference should not of been that great. Realistically all you needed to do was overclock your 3570.
    This game does not need a 6th gen i7 and will be of no benefit to fps over an i5 in this game.
    If you only play this game then its a complete waste.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited April 2016

The performance difference shouldn't be massive, because as far as i know the sims 4 does not utilize hyper threading. (not many (if any) games do.)
    So essentially the difference should not of been that great. Realistically all you needed to do was overclock your 3570.
    This game does not need a 6th gen i7 and will be of no benefit to fps over an i5 in this game.

My cpu was already overclocked to around 4.3 I believe and the difference I'm talking about is mostly the pc in general, sims was fine even with this silly issue before. And no, I didn't get it just for this, I play a lot of other games, I like to try everything that catches my attention so I always upgrade to the latest tech once in a while :) I also do 3d modeling where the i7 comes in handy. Basically I wanted a new processor and the fix came in as a happy coincidence haha.

Edited to add: also, when I buy pc parts I like to future proof, and I don't think my i7 is a waste at all considering my old CPU lasted for 4 years.

hhHD2XB.png
  • Options

My cpu was already overclocked to around 4.3 I believe and the difference I'm talking about is mostly the pc in general, sims was fine even with this silly issue before. And no, I didn't get it just for this, I play a lot of other games, I like to try everything that catches my attention so I always upgrade to the latest tech once in a while :) I also do 3d modeling where the i7 comes in handy. Basically I wanted a new processor and the fix came in as a happy coincidence haha.

Edited to add: also, when I buy pc parts I like to future proof, and I don't think my i7 is a waste at all considering my old CPU lasted for 4 years.

LOL was a waste for the game.. but if you do other things and play other games then it was not a waste. video editing software and encoding takes full use of i7..so if you do any of that then you will notice a really big difference.
    I Just don't want people to think they should buy a i7 for the game if they have fps issues... Because that will not solve the problem because it's a game issue.
    But overall if you happy with the difference then you made a good buy.
    i will be upgrading my i7 3770 within the next year or so (hopefully.) But so far been brilliant considering its age.
    One more thing to add, If your cpu was overclocked to 4.3GHZ then there is NO way you had a bottleneck.. not with a card like the 960. You wouldn't even get a bottleneck with a 980.
    But enjoy the i7.. i hear 6Th gen is really good.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

LOL was a waste for the game.. but if you do other things and play other games then it was not a waste. video editing software and encoding takes full use of i7..so if you do any of that then you will notice a really big difference.
    I Just don't want people to think they should buy a i7 for the game if they have fps issues... Because that will not solve the problem because it's a game issue.
    i will be upgrading my i7 3770 within the next year or so (hopefully.) But so far been brilliant considering its age.
    One more thing to add, If your cpu was overclocked to 4.3GHZ then there is NO way you had a bottleneck.. not with a card like the 960. You wouldn't even get a bottleneck with a 980.

I didn't change cpu for more frames, obviously, it was more like a happy coincidence and the difference is in the overall basically. I have some games that are cpu intense and they run so much smoother. I'm not exactly sure what was going on with my sims on my old one, but I'm just glad I have it sorted now, I get easily bothered by stutter of any kind. Now I need to find out if it's gonna fix my sims 3 magically too, but I'm not holding my breath lol.

hhHD2XB.png
  • Options

I didn't change cpu for more frames, obviously, it was more like a happy coincidence and the difference is in the overall basically. I have some games that are cpu intense and they run so much smoother. I'm not exactly sure what was going on with my sims on my old one, but I'm just glad I have it sorted now, I get easily bothered by stutter of any kind. Now I need to find out if it's gonna fix my sims 3 magically too, but I'm not holding my breath lol.

Yep i wouldn't hold your breath for ts3. I stopped playing it because of stutter.
    Im easily bothered by stutter too.. i gave up on ts3, that game is just broken for me.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

Yep i wouldn't hold your breath for ts3. I stopped playing it because of stutter.
    Im easily bothered by stutter too.. i gave up on ts3, that game is just broken for me.

Puzzles me why TS3 works fine for some and not others. Im not getting stutter on my 770m. The 960 only stutters at high speed and I don't play at high speed
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I am thinking here I would expect some drop in FPS if one is using a high end CPU and a low end GPU, but to see FPS drop in an system is well balanced I would think the game is not optimized to take advantage of those specs. I am using a i7-6700K with a GTX 770 4 GB in one of my systems and I am not experiencing any drop in FPS, now again I am just thinking.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I am thinking here I would expect some drop in FPS if one is using a high end CPU and a low end GPU, but to see FPS drop in an system is well balanced I would think the game is not optimized to take advantage of those specs. I am using a i7-6700K with a GTX 770 4 GB in one of my systems and I am not experiencing any drop in FPS, now again I am just thinking.

The game is not optimized. This game is cpu heavy and why maybe those of you with a new skylake i7 are the only ones not experiencing fps drops. A 960 card with an i5 should not be getting fps drops with this game. Hopefully EA sees this thread and recognizes there is a problem. There are several threads in tech with people who have mid range to higher end computers that are all getting fps drops and that should not be happening.
  • Options

The game is not optimized. This game is cpu heavy and why maybe those of you with a new skylake i7 are the only ones not experiencing fps drops. A 960 card with an i5 should not be getting fps drops with this game. Hopefully EA sees this thread and recognizes there is a problem. There are several threads in tech with people who have mid range to higher end computers that are all getting fps drops and that should not be happening.
    I should add I have not experienced any drop in FPS using my other system I7-4770K with a GTX 980 4 GB, I do agree with you on the game not being optimized and should not happen with those who are using systems with mid to optimal specs. I cannot explain why I am not getting any drops. I have three other systems as well and haven't looked at those yet.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member

I 100% agree with this.

Last night, I played both Project CARS and The Sims 4 after I configured MSI Afterburner for my GTX 960 for the first time. Without going into great detail, I used it to get 55-60 FPS in Project CARS while racing in the rain through a forest (think Le Mans and Watkins Glen) with a mix of high and ultra graphics settings. From what I've been reading up on that game, even faster CPUs and GPUs experience frame drop in those driving conditions, so I'm quite happy with the new results.

However, when I played The Sims 4 last night I experienced an FPS drop to about 50 FPS and once in awhile it dipped below that. It's one of those things that happens literally for a split second. It's so quick that if I didn't have FPS turned on I wouldn't notice it while simming. Prior to using MSI Afterburner, my FPS drops were actually down to 40-45. I've got an MSI M3 z170a board, i5-6600 Skylake CPU and 16GB GSkills Ripjaws V DDR4 RAM so this really shouldn't be happening.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I get framerate drops if I'm going beserk with the camera, but that happens in S2 and S3 as well since as long as I can remember.
    In Sims 3 since a patch, there was a fps drop issue where every 10 seconds or so the game would freeze for a split second. That happens on all newer cards, but it doesn't happen on my 7600 GS.

The Sims 4 does experience drops when you zoom in and out to, but for me on both my Gaming Rig and Alienware Alpha, unless I'm watching the fps counter, I don't notice it in game at all, and often I have to be staring at the fps counter instead of playing the game, to even notice the number drop to like 51-53 from a constant 59-61. And on top of that it literally drops to 51 and back up in less than half a second.

Is anyone else seeing more dramatic drops? My Alienware uses an i7 from 2014 and it's a notebook chip yet I'm not seeing anything that's dramatic.

---

Saying this, I do experience fps drops when the camera first zooms in when you load up a lot on my alpha, but not my Gaming Rig. The fps will drop to like 23 or something. But my gaming rig is a smooth 60fps.
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I get framerate drops if I'm going beserk with the camera, but that happens in S2 and S3 as well since as long as I can remember.
    In Sims 3 since a patch, there was a fps drop issue where every 10 seconds or so the game would freeze for a split second. That happens on all newer cards, but it doesn't happen on my 7600 GS.

The Sims 4 does experience drops when you zoom in and out to, but for me on both my Gaming Rig and Alienware Alpha, unless I'm watching the fps counter, I don't notice it in game at all, and often I have to be staring at the fps counter instead of playing the game, to even notice the number drop to like 51-53 from a constant 59-61. And on top of that it literally drops to 51 and back up in less than half a second.

Is anyone else seeing more dramatic drops? My Alienware uses an i7 from 2014 and it's a notebook chip yet I'm not seeing anything that's dramatic.

---

Saying this, I do experience fps drops when the camera first zooms in when you load up a lot on my alpha, but not my Gaming Rig. The fps will drop to like 23 or something. But my gaming rig is a smooth 60fps.

I do get fps drops on my 970 desktop on ts4,
    It drops like you said when zooming in and out, But i don't notice it unless you are looking at the number, Like you said.
    However i find if you are zoomed out to the point where there is more then 1 or 2 lots in focus then you scroll left to right.. then you will get stutter and fps drops.. and you will notice the drops then.
    Really this shouldn't be happening but it seems to be a so called "trait" of the sims games. All in all ts3 and ts4 plays like utter garbage compared to newer more demanding games.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @jackjack_k well mine went from 60 to the low 30s on my old pc, it was very noticeable. Now it might drop if I scroll out really fast, but it's more like 55 and then it goes back up.
    hhHD2XB.png
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member

---

It drops like you said when zooming in and out, But i don't notice it unless you are looking at the number, Like you said.
    However i find if you are zoomed out to the point where there is more then 1 or 2 lots in focus then you scroll left to right.. then you will get stutter and fps drops.. and you will notice the drops then.
    Really this shouldn't be happening but it seems to be a so called "trait" of the sims games. All in all ts3 and ts4 plays like utter garbage compared to newer more demanding games.

Thanks for posting this @chesterbigbird. That I never noticed before. I just popped into my current save to test it out, and that's exactly what's going on. My sim lives on the Mid-Nowhere lot on the island in Windenburg, and once I zoom out to see the neighboring houses and move the camera left or right it drops dramatically to around 20fps for a split second before it goes back up to where it should be.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    Ravager619 wrote: »

---

Thanks for posting this @chesterbigbird. That I never noticed before. I just popped into my current save to test it out, and that's exactly what's going on. My sim lives on the Mid-Nowhere lot on the island in Windenburg, and once I zoom out to see the neighboring houses and move the camera left or right it drops dramatically to around 20fps for a split second before it goes back up to where it should be.

Thanks for testing that.. allot of people disagree with me on that.. but they are also too lazy to test LOL.
    At least now i know it's a game issue. :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    edited April 2016

Really depends on what you mean high end CPU. Are you talking about Skylake ones only? Cuz I have an i7-4720HQ and GTX 960m and I still have the stutter. I wish I had a laptop with the Skylake processor to test out, but oh well. XD Maybe one day... Haha.

---

Yes, the island on Windenburg is pretty bad in terms of the fps drop since there's a lot of trees there and also the waves at the sea. All these rendering makes the fps drop when you zoom out.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »

Really depends on what you mean high end CPU. Are you talking about Skylake ones only? Cuz I have an i7-4720HQ and GTX 960m and I still have the stutter. I wish I had a laptop with the Skylake processor to test out, but oh well. XD Maybe one day... Haha.

---

Yes, the island on Windenburg is pretty bad in terms of the fps drop since there's a lot of trees there and also the waves at the sea. All these rendering makes the fps drop when you zoom out.
    No, not just the new I7's I use mostly all I7's in my setups and I still consider them high end. The prices have dropped a little on the older i7 and still can process very fast. They are coming with so many flavors it is hard to keep up. I played Sims 4 using a 4770K and had not experienced any drops in my FPS but as in it is seen not everyone's experience is the same but that is not to say Sims is not optimized. A person would experience drops in FPS in my opinion if there is not a balance in what they are using and if a person is using specs that are balanced well and experience severe FPS drops then yes I would blame it on the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I don't even have that EP but i still get fps drops, The only time it's noticeable is when you zoom out then scroll from side to side.. otherwise its not noticeable.
    I think it also comes down to how sensitive a person is to stutter, While some notice it allot others do not notice it a all.
    Someone who plays allot of pc games and who has a higher end computer and plays demanding games are probably the ones that will notice it more, Someone who is just a casual gamer and plays lighter games most likely wouldn't notice it or would consider it normal.
    I can probably say with 100% certainty that it is a game related issue, Not hardware. (in my case at least LOL.)

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide