Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So Much Outside Support Needed For This Game

greenXengreenXen Posts: 1,227 Member
I resent having to use so many programs and being sent all over the place to play this game.

I’ve seen mentioned in interviews and articles how complicated EA thinks the games themselves are becoming internally, but do you realize how much support is actually needed from a host of other programs and sites to get this game to run? How purchasing the paid versions of many of these outside programs is cost prohibitive for many and using the free ones opens players up to downloading all kinds of plum?

It’s a given that The Sims 4 game needs to be downloaded.
But, then Origin is required too.

And, the game is riddled with errors, so to make a bug report:

I need to come to The Sims Forum to make the report.
I need to make use of an Image Editor to present the errors in an easy-to-understand manner and to capture errors outside of Live or Build modes where the game’s internal camera doesn’t work.
I also need a Video Capture Program for those instances where the error is outside of Live or Build modes where the game’s internal camera doesn’t work or the error is with the video capture system itself.
I need an Image Hosting Site to upload the images to since they can’t be directly uploaded to this site.
I need a Video Hosting Site since the videos of bugs can’t be directly uploaded here.
I need a File Hosting Site to post the .txt error files.
Things then need to be double reported at EA AHQ too since there is no indication that any developer looks here. (Posting there is a bigger deal than here because the rules are stricter and, as I understand it, a ban from that site means losing access to your whole EA account.)
Of course, there’s a low probability that anyone at Maxis or EA sees any of this at either location, so in order to really get noticed, I’d have to register for Facebook.
Or even better, Twitter.

Then, when I wanted to change the color of a shirt:

I had to download Color Magic.
This, of course, required S4PE to use. Then the production of Color Magic stopped.
So, I had to go register for Another Forum on a 3rd Party site and give out personal info like my email to them.
Then I had to download Another Modding Program.
I also had to spend time on numerous sites trying to find tutorials.
I eventually gave up. I don’t use CC or Mods, but if I were to use them I’d be obligated to sign up for more forums and blogs.

Being able to upload files to The Sims Forums, establishing a proper developer feedback system, and including CASt or BodyShop or something similar with the game would have seriously cut back on the number of programs needed to play.
Post edited by greenXen on

Comments

• Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    But.. but... but...this is the age of social media! Everyone has those accounts everywhere already! Right? :#
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    Totally agree with you, OP
  • Options
    SnuggieQueenSnuggieQueen Posts: 231 Member
    It'd be great if the same gurus who introduced themselves on these forums actually made an appearance and replied to threads, but I don't think they want to be bothered with the community. Yeah, a lot of people like the game, but there are also a lot of people who are unhappy and just want answers. If I was working on 4, I'd probably consider these forums toxic. Look at ask a guru. Where did that go? But, that's part of doing your job and listening to the community.
    Social media is whatever. I personally don't think you should have to make accounts to share issues you're having with a game because you'll more than likely be missed or ignored for other posts talking about how amazingly perfect 4 is.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    It's pretty common for any game to require outsides support, especially for Modding.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
    edited March 2016
    @Prink34320 I agree. This is common for any PC game.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I have to agree with you on the point of making custom content. TS2 came with its own dev-created CC editing tool, BodyShop, which allowed you to easily export texture maps for simple recolors of hair, skin, eyes, and clothing. With TS4? You've got to download Sims 4 Studio, which means that you have to join their forum first. It blows my mind that Maxis didn't include a BodyShop-type tool with the base game, since that was a big part of the fun for me in TS2! I mean, who among us with a creative streak who played TS2 didn't/doesn't enjoy loading up BodyShop and making a few custom graphic Tees or new eye/hair/skin recolors or retextures in Photoshop Elements or GIMP? That's fun as heck!

Sims 4 Studio is a type of tool that Maxis could have easily included, but because of either time constraints or an "Eh, the fans will make it eventually." attitude, or both, didn't. It's not that I don't appreciate the game itself or the wonderful tools that fellow members of the player community have made to go with it. No. It's just that Maxis did set a precedent with TS2's BodyShop, and it's disappointing to see them not continue with such internal support in later titles.

(I'm actually as annoyed with the lack of an official BodyShop utility as many folks who are upset that CASt or Toddlers didn't make it into the game. I just don't voice my opinion about it quite so often...especially not as much as the "Family Play isn't as fun without Toddlers" crowd. I just do as best I can with the ingenious tools that others have made to supplement what wasn't included.)
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I hear you.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2016
    greenXen wrote: »
    (Posting there is a bigger deal than here because the rules are stricter and, as I understand it, a ban from that site means losing access to your whole EA account.)

No, you just won't be able to use AHQ.

Also, there's no NEED to report on both sites. They read them both but AHQ has more possibilities to keep stuff organized (+ if you post at AHQ, I'll know about them and can blog about the ones that have solutions but that's of course just a selfish reason to make you post there)

Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    greenXengreenXen Posts: 1,227 Member
    crinrict wrote: »
    (Posting there is a bigger deal than here because the rules are stricter and, as I understand it, a ban from that site means losing access to your whole EA account.)

Also, there's no NEED to report on both sites. They read them both but AHQ has more possibilities to keep stuff organized (+ if you post at AHQ, I'll know about them and can blog about the ones that have solutions but that's of course just a selfish reason to make you post there)

No, they really are less likely to see it here, and they certainly won't respond to anything. No one has requested any save files from this site where they have at AHQ. No one responded to my comments about the text errors reported here where they have at AHQ. There is not the same response as there is there.

There is also no method for tracking the number of people experiencing the same problem, so they are more likely to brush the issue aside as a limited problem.

• Options

No, they really are less likely to see it here, and they certainly won't respond to anything. No one has requested any save files from this site where they have at AHQ. No one responded to my comments about the text errors reported here where they have at AHQ. There is not the same response as there is there.

Well, I'm not entirely innocent to that.

Also I did see them ask for saves on here as well. Not very often.

At AHQ it's mostly me asking for them but yes, there's the occasional CM that does.
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    Sasquatch_01Sasquatch_01 Posts: 538 Member

There is also no method for tracking the number of people experiencing the same problem, so they are more likely to brush the issue aside as a limited problem.

The response is the same since AHQ isn't staffed by anyone who possesses valid knowledge so you're better off reporting it here and sharing your concerns with the community. You also forgot to mention the operating system support issues which are resultant of mandatory installation of runtime components, inadequate options for file management, and problems with launching games within the security context of the origin client.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

I am not sure that you are right because although the developers read this forum and some people in EA's support read AHQ this doesn't mean that the same people read both (although I can see that you do). So if people want the developers to consider new ideas then they should probably post it here. But they should probably report bugs at AHQ instead.

People too often seem to think that it doesn't matter who of EA's employees read their message. But I am sure that it does because as an employee you will rarely react to something which you think that doesn't concern you. I have seen this many times (in different companies).
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Erpe wrote: »
    So if people want the developers to consider new ideas then they should probably post it here. But they should probably report bugs at AHQ instead.

There really is no reason to report anything in AHQ since they're not gathering information accurately, they're not qualified to recognize or solve any of those problems, and they refuse input from the parties who are more educated than they are since they can't respond in any official capacity. Since they're not receiving user communication in an acceptable manner there is no reason to send anyone into that forum. Let them report it here so everyone can see what they're experiencing and provide the appropriate level of support.

The developers will detect the majority of what they're reporting whether or not anyone posts their complaints in AHQ since they all stem from the same core failures which no one in AHQ will ever comprehend.
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »
    So if people want the developers to consider new ideas then they should probably post it here. But they should probably report bugs at AHQ instead.

I agree with you that this would be ideal. Either one forum for all or different forums with a clear goal what to post where but it doesn't work out that way as a lot of people hang out here and then don't want to go to a different site to report their stuff.

There are of course different admin and CM on both sites but I know that the QA people read both forums.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    pekesimspekesims Posts: 169 Member
    [quote="Sasquatch_01;14667580"]

There really is no reason to report anything in AHQ since they're not gathering information accurately, they're not qualified to recognize or solve any of those problems, and they refuse input from the parties who are more educated than they are since they can't respond in any official capacity. Since they're not receiving user communication in an acceptable manner there is no reason to send anyone into that forum. Let them report it here so everyone can see what they're experiencing and provide the appropriate level of support.

The developers will detect the majority of what they're reporting whether or not anyone posts their complaints in AHQ since they all stem from the same core failures which no one in AHQ will ever comprehend.[/quote]

What are you talking about?
  • Options
    MAINAGO1 wrote: »

The developers will detect the majority of what they're reporting whether or not anyone posts their complaints in AHQ since they all stem from the same core failures which no one in AHQ will ever comprehend.

What are you talking about?

Those statements are fairly well articulated so there shouldn't be any confusion and if you're interested in discovering what I'm referring to you can browse and analyze the history of "The Sims 4 Bug Reports" forum in AHQ. If you have a specific question I'll gladly respond to it.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Just wondering because if you are the same person, you are very active at AHQ yet you don't seem to think the help provided is very beneficial?!

That person must be attempting to solve those problems if they're so active.

Oh so you're not him? I thought you were the same person but with different user names as your writing style is very similar. Never mind :)

AHQ is great for help as it's players helping players.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    AHQ is great for help as it's players helping players.

And the players are more educated than those who are abusing them within and blocking them from AHQ therefore we don't have any reason to send them there. Keeping everyone within the active community is the best solution.
  • Options
    @Sasquatch_01 I guess you are taking shots at @crinrict because they run the bug reports on EA Answers HQ and decide whose bugs get added to the list based on their personal criteria.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @Sasquatch_01 I guess you are taking shots at @crinrict because they run the bug reports on EA Answers HQ and decide whose bugs get added to the list based on their personal criteria.

I haven't mentioned any specific participant and they don't decide anything since they're not representatives of EA or maxis which is why they can't respond with an 'absolute' answer for any query. I don't really have any grudge against AHQ, I just don't see any reason to tolerate violations of professional and educational standards from any group or person who doesn't even comprehend the product they claim to support voluntarily and unofficially out of their own passion for it.

it would be better for them to stop responding to user reports.
  • Options
    @Sasquatch_01 Although @crinrict doesn't work for EA, they decide which threads get reported to EA and what doesn't. They are basically the mod in that forum. So as far as locking threads and banning members, and being selective about bug reports, that is the only person you could be talking about.
  • Options
    @Sasquatch_01 Although @crinrict doesn't work for EA, they decide which threads get reported to EA and what doesn't. They are basically the mod in that forum. So as far as locking threads and banning members, and being selective about bug reports, that is the only person you could be talking about.

No, they don't decide anything since those forums aren't recognized by EA as anything which should be considered or responded to formally, if at all, and I haven't mentioned anything about 'locking threads and banning members, and being selective about bug reports' - I'm accusing them of failure to support the product appropriately while having no authority or qualification to contradict anything reported by those who are responding to them, or to tell anyone how or when to respond to a user since they're not contributing anything more than the user. Here are crinrict's statements regarding the validity of the AHQ bug report forum:
    • The bug forum is semi-official. It was created for me by the CM here and it's monitored by the devs but all you can expect is an answer from me on a mostly regular basis (I do need breaks from time to time which are usually announced if they last longer than a few days). Be also aware that I'm located in Europe, have a job and a family so not everything is getting speedy answers all the time.
    • I don't have any insight into the code as I'm not a modder or a dev so I can only rely on your reports and my own experience and asking stupid questions.
    • There is no schedule at all. It's extremely rare that the studio give an ETA on when an issue will be fixed.
    • Added means it's been added to the compiled list but that does not necessarily mean that the devs will address the issue. The communication is a bit of a one way street. Sometimes I do add stuff that I'm unsure if it's actually a bug but it means that I'm convinced it is a bug (or something that needs addressing). The if and when is entirely up to the Studio. I have no information if and when something will get fixed unless the devs post about it. There's old stuff on the list that I'm unsure if it's still an issue cause they are hard to replicate or take a long time to test. Those have a [To Test] or [Feedback] label. Any info you can give on those is welcome.
    • The sticky has an overview on what label means what. I've only recently added them so I'm still learning and new ones may pop-up
    • I hardly ever lock a thread. I usually add a Fixed if an issue was addressed in the patch notes or if a sufficient amount of people say it is fixed. Sufficient depends on the number of people that actually had the bug. If it was just one person and that person says it's fixed, it's also considered fixed. If you do still experience the issue, feel free to post so it can be reopened. I do try to comment on most of the thread but if it's just new info or me too statements to threads that already have ton of answers, I will not.
    • If you reported an issue, I very much appreciate anyone coming back after a patch, telling me if it's fixed or not. This does not have to be the case after every patch but maybe ever 3-4 month and if it's fixed of course. Helps me a lot to keep the list current and the person that reports, is usually the one that can say if they still see an issue they have reported or not.
    • I will not address threads that just contain a multitude of issues anymore. They are usually a lot of work and most issues already have a thread. So those will be ignored by me (or I'll comment saying it will be ignored) but the studio will probably still see it.
    • I do think I have most of this explained in the stickies so if anything is unclear or needs to rephrased, let me know which paragraph/posts those are in and what you don't understand. Also let me know which things you think need adding to the stickies.
    • I'm aware that it's me judging a lot but the compiled list is not the only thing the devs look at. They do read the forum as a whole and I'm just someone that tries to find out if something is mod-related, a misunderstanding or a real bug. I am wrong a lot of times of course but if you post back in a non-rude manner, I think I'm pretty reasonable. Think of the compiled list as an index of issues posted that both the devs and the users can reference too but not as THE ultimate list of what's bugged and what not.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @crinrict Monitors a list of bugs on the forums and has told me personally that they decide which bugs get sent to EA and are added to the list.

As far as the devs, they do support the product by issuing a latch each month, sometimes sooner with bug fixes.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @crinrict Monitors a list of bugs on the forums and has told me personally that they decide which bugs get sent to EA and are added to the list.

As far as the devs, they do support the product by issuing a latch each month, sometimes sooner with bug fixes.

According to crinrict's statements which I've copied and pasted above, they don't send anything and they're not qualified to evaluate anything, they just gather and list, then the devs may or may not review the content of the forum therefore when engineers tell them how to identify and analyze failures, they're the ones who should pay attention and respond in a humble manner.

I respect the devs and EA therefore whether or not they're posting patches is irrelevant to my argument since I'm arguing in defense of their property and development practices.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited March 2016

Only the gurus can delete, move, lock , change posts and threads, ban users in here. Guru status means you work for EA. Crin helps with bugs, takes reports and gives them to EA . Im not sure if Crin is a mod but she is not a Guru. blunote00 is also a mod in here. She will report things to ea but she can not change posts, remove them, move threads ect.