Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hard to get promotions

I'm having a really hard time in my game getting my Sims promoted. Even when I set the dial to "work hard", send them to work in a good mood, have the correct emotion and skills it sometimes takes a week to get one promotion. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Are you doing the daily task?
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    edited February 2016
    I have the same issue, even if I struggle to complete the daily tasks and skill requirements it still takes me a good chunk of time afterwards. My sim made it to Sous chef on the day she died (I think that's only the 8th level?), and she married Paolo Rocca, who didn't even reach the top of the athlete career track until he was an elder with a full life bar lol, and that's with a life potion in his adult stage and the long lived reward.

There were a few times I missed the daily task, but I never thought it'd hold me back that much. I remember my sim in 3 reaching the top of the culinary career not far into her adult stage
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    lyralyra Posts: 420 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Are you doing the daily task?

Yes I am.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    In my experience even if all the requirements are met and daily tasks done... and they are doing a great job, green and go to work in the right emotional space ...they don't usually get promoted that day.
    I've come to let that first day they are ready for a promotion go with no expectations I don't even bother working on their emotion ect.. usually the second day of being ready they will get it though.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    It takes a lot of days with doing the daily tasks and working hard for my Sims to get promoted. I thought I was doing something wrong. To be honest, I thought that promotions were a bit too easy in Sims 3.

I think Sims 4 went a bit too far the other way. Daily tasks can be extremely time consuming. I did prefer the Sims 2 way of doing it. Yes, you had to work on skills, but you could do it at your own pace and the chance cards could give you a career boost and get you promoted earlier. I didn't like the requirement of having a certain number of friends, though.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Same thing for me. That's why I don't play careers too often. It's horrible. I will have my sim in the perfect mood, all daily tasks and skills done, have them work hard (I've tried normal and work hard, and no difference) and still it'll take nearly a full work week before they get promoted.

I've even seen the progress bar jump back a good portion on it's own during the day, without a chance card happening. I think the careers are complete garbage and need to be fixed. I can understand making it a little challenging (the daily task, the requirements/skills needed) but it's bull that the bar will go so slow, then randomly just drop back on it's own.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Unless your sim has the ambitious trait it doesn't really matter how long it takes to progress in their career. How may people make it to CEO in their lifetime? Most people work in entry level - middle management positions, so I actually think the progression rate is fine. I play in Long lifespan and still rarely get to level 10 if I want the sim to have a life outside of work.
  • Options
    ObscurusObscurus Posts: 626 Member
    I think the promotion pace is just right. Not too fast, not too slow. My only gripe is that some of the daily tasks are such a grindfest and leave no time for anything else. My poor journalist has to interview five Sims AND write as many articles about their dull lives! Madness! :#
  • Options
    Unless your sim has the ambitious trait it doesn't really matter how long it takes to progress in their career. How may people make it to CEO in their lifetime? Most people work in entry level - middle management positions, so I actually think the progression rate is fine. I play in Long lifespan and still rarely get to level 10 if I want the sim to have a life outside of work.

Well, it matters to me because I like to have my Sims top their career in their legacy, and I play on Normal. The reason I'm asking this question is that in previous games it was an obtainable goal, while in this game it seems extremely difficult to top a career. I was wondering if there were any tips people had.
  • Options
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Same thing for me. That's why I don't play careers too often. It's horrible. I will have my sim in the perfect mood, all daily tasks and skills done, have them work hard (I've tried normal and work hard, and no difference) and still it'll take nearly a full work week before they get promoted.

I've even seen the progress bar jump back a good portion on it's own during the day, without a chance card happening. I think the careers are complete garbage and need to be fixed. I can understand making it a little challenging (the daily task, the requirements/skills needed) but it's bull that the bar will go so slow, then randomly just drop back on it's own.

I have also noticed the progress bar jumping back. Is this supposed to happen?
  • Options
    US_Marshall42US_Marshall42 Posts: 236 Member
    lyra wrote: »
    I'm having a really hard time in my game getting my Sims promoted. Even when I set the dial to "work hard", send them to work in a good mood, have the correct emotion and skills it sometimes takes a week to get one promotion. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I actually really like this. The Sims 2 & 3 my Sims used to get promoted daily. I personally like the added challenge.
  • Options
    I don't think working hard makes much of a difference unless you're bar is dipping into the yellow, then it'll at least help get you back in green.

I'd guess the preferred mood helps get you promoted as well, my chef sim wasn't ever inspired when she went to work, might be why she progressed slowly. Basically all you can do is do the task every day, reach the required skills as soon as you can, and use objects and such to be in the right mood before work. It'll definitely take a good chunk out of your sims daily life, but there's not much of a faster way. Seems very hard to max out your career before you die if you're on normal settings.
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    I don't think working hard makes much of a difference unless you're bar is dipping into the yellow, then it'll at least help get you back in green.

I'd guess the preferred mood helps get you promoted as well, my chef sim wasn't ever inspired when she went to work, might be why she progressed slowly. Basically all you can do is do the task every day, reach the required skills as soon as you can, and use objects and such to be in the right mood before work. It'll definitely take a good chunk out of your sims daily life, but there's not much of a faster way. Seems very hard to max out your career before you die if you're on normal settings.

Thanks. I'm hoping that the devs will make some adjustments at some point so my Sims can have a more balanced work and family life.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

Well, it matters to me because I like to have my Sims top their career in their legacy, and I play on Normal. The reason I'm asking this question is that in previous games it was an obtainable goal, while in this game it seems extremely difficult to top a career. I was wondering if there were any tips people had.

You have to remember.........this time around it's more "play the game this way" instead of players choosing how they want to go about things.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited February 2016

Try making more friends with coworkers. The more friends they have at work the faster they get promoted. Also be careful with working hard if they get tense that can slide the progress bar backwards. I have them work hard for a few hours only at the end of the day if they're still in a good mood. Also if oh brush their teeth entire work they'll go in on a confident mood and you can smooze the boss for a few hours.

What I do is make sure they do the daily task. Send them to work in a confident mood (or the required emotion sometimes) the first hour I have them smooze the boss, the next two hours I have them chat with coworkers. Then I work normal for a while, then if they're still happy I have them work hard for the rest of of the day, my sims usually get promoted in 3 days. I also have them chat online with co-workers at night to keep relationships high there.
  • Options
    KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member

It matters if you're doing a challenge and need to reach the top of the career track. Anyway, Sims isn't real life and it's nice to be able to get them to to the top. More money that way.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member

I agree, not everyone will be CEO... but shouldn't I, the player, get to determine that? Not the game? I've had Sims 4 since release and I've only maxed out a career maybe 3 times. I play on normal (as mostly I play challenges and that is the life span required) and it's next to impossible to max out a career on normal.

And if I want a sim to reach a certain level, I should be able to not meet the requirements and not advance past the point I want. Not penalize all players and all sims with this next to impossible task of reaching the top of a career because some people want a more difficult promotion ability.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    hmae123 wrote: »

Try making more friends with coworkers. The more friends they have at work the faster they get promoted. Also be careful with working hard if they get tense that can slide the progress bar backwards. I have them work hard for a few hours only at the end of the day if they're still in a good mood. Also if oh brush their teeth entire work they'll go in on a confident mood and you can smooze the boss for a few hours.

What I do is make sure they do the daily task. Send them to work in a confident mood (or the required emotion sometimes) the first hour I have them smooze the boss, the next two hours I have them chat with coworkers. Then I work normal for a while, then if they're still happy I have them work hard for the rest of of the day, my sims usually get promoted in 3 days. I also have them chat online with co-workers at night to keep relationships high there.

This was extremely helpful, thank you.
  • Options
    Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    I'm of the opinion that topping off their needs before they head to work is a factor. You said they were in good mood, so that's good. But are their needs close to max? If a couple of the needs bars drop into the yellow when they're at work, it seems to slow the progress down.
  • Options
    I'm of the opinion that topping off their needs before they head to work is a factor. You said they were in good mood, so that's good. But are their needs close to max? If a couple of the needs bars drop into the yellow when they're at work, it seems to slow the progress down.

Yes, I do try to have them in a great mood, but it's not always topped. It seems a bit unrealistic to top needs every day though.
  • Options
    PiplowPiplow Posts: 81 Member
    I never select "work hard" because their fun goes down too quickly, then they end up in a tense mood 3 hours into the work day and lose all the progress they made earlier in the day. Fun is probably the most important need to keep up before you head to work for that reason.

You're best off trying to get them into their ideal mood for as long as possible during the day (e.g. plucking inspiration on a guitar gives a longer lasting moodlet than the usual 4 hr ones), doing the daily tasks and try keeping them from being uncomfortable as long as possible.

It does still take more time than with Sims 3, but it's so much more realistic to have to work harder at each step.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,698 Member

I think that's why you get so many points for completing a career, in a Legacy. If it was 'easy' why hand out points for it, right? I'm also currently playing a Legacy Challenge family. My Founder was a Musical Genius by aspiration, which he achieved. However, he never made it to the top of the Music Career, even so. Just made me even more determined for his son and heir to make it to the top of his chosen career. He just now made it. My Gen. 3 heir is now on deck, so to speak.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    It seems a bit unrealistic to top needs every day though.

Well, if by realistically you mean compared to RL, IRL, I do rather like to start out the work day without being sleepy, hungry, needing the bathroom or a shower, or being tense or lonely. So I guess to me it seems realistic in that aspect.

In the game, my Sims get typically promoted about every 3-5 work days depending on how hard it is to level the skills, and how important it is to me for that particular Sim. It seems pretty easy to top off the needs, it usually takes about a Sim hour and a half to do. So it's up to you if it's worth it. :)
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    edited February 2016
    It's not a good idea to select just "work hard" because your sims get tense and then lose progress. If you have Spa Day, I recommend having them start a yoga routine (mind concentrating for focused, brain boosting for inspired, and centering for energized) about 2 hours before leaving for work. That gives them 8 hours of the appropriate emotion. If you don't have spa day, check out the alternative work options. Artists have "contemplate art," for example, which can make them feel inspired. If your sims are married, set up a wedding arch and have them "renew vows" every few days. That will make them very happy, always a plus at work.

It's more important to have them meet the required skills than to complete the daily task, so get their skills up first (the two will often go together). If you have them at 50% or 75% of the daily task, that will usually be enough if they're close to the top.

Edit to add: The Carefree reward will keep them from getting tense, Connections starts them at level 4 of a career, graduating from high school with an A starts them at level 3, and Entrpreneurial is supposed to help, but I don't know how. If you have Get Together, pick up the club perk "networked" for faster job progress.

I forgot to mention that my sims regularly get promoted on either the 2nd or 3rd day of a job level, although it takes a little longer, the higher they get. And sometimes they pick the wrong "chance" card, which can slow things down.
  • Options
    Does making friends at work really help with progress in the long run? I never bothered to try cause the description says that it'll lower your performance.
    v5Yd2X5.png