Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Interesting - the game out just 3 days and already on sale at Target. Amazing or what?

http://simsvip.com/2015/12/09/the-sims-4-get-together-target-discounts-the-expansion-by-10-00/

I find this - I don't know - peculiar. I have never seen a Sims game go on sale so fast in my life. Spookystuff at least was out a week before it went half price.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2015
    It's telling me Target didn't get the orders they expected and did not want to take a loss as that ten bucks is their profit they would make on the game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Well it can be taken both ways, depends on how you think the game is doing. I'm thinking Target it selling wanted items cheaper since Christmas is coming soon and the Sims series sell well during those times. A lot of shops nearby my place have set popular games on sale some of them 50% off. I don't think they're putting it up for cheaper because it's doing badly, although that's my personal opinion.

Besides, it's a great deal for others not having a lot of money! :blush:
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,929 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    http://simsvip.com/2015/12/09/the-sims-4-get-together-target-discounts-the-expansion-by-10-00/

I find this - I don't know - peculiar. I have never seen a Sims game go on sale so fast in my life. Spookystuff at least was out a week before it went half price.

You see, this is what I was talking about in the boycott thread. No one wants to step forward and actually DO SOMETHING. Not one comment on my post but plenty of comments on the negative posts. And now another thread about game sales. What good does this do?
  • Options
    It's telling me Target didn't get the orders they expected and did not want to take a loss as that ten bucks is their profit they would make on the game.

It doesn't matter what Target gets. EA has already received payment for the games shipped to Target.
  • Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member

You see, this is what I was talking about in the boycott thread. No one wants to step forward and actually DO SOMETHING. Not one comment on my post but plenty of comments on the negative posts. And now another thread about game sales. What good does this do?

I commented on your post. I don't know if you saw it or not.
  • Options
    barraakenobarraakeno Posts: 489 Member
    It's just a sale for the holidays. I don't see anything wrong o_o.
    Brazilian guy here, so my English is not that good.

fB7mWIn.gif
    Spinning toilets confurm3d!!!!11!!1!1!!!!11!
  • Options

I commented on your post. I don't know if you saw it or not.

Thanks you. I did see that. :) I guess I was referring to some of the more outspoken critics. It's just a bit frustrating. I do want to help but I want it to mean something.
  • Options
    It's been years since pre-Christmas sales in giftable retail were an indicator of anything being wrong. Even post-holiday sales aren't just on stock that undersold. Sales on popular items are also a way of getting shoppers into stores, where they will then buy other things too. This is why, for example, booksellers will discount the whole bestseller list.

Well then using you belief can you tell me why the other two non-sims games that came out a month ago are also not on sale yet and in fact out of stock since they came out. They won't even promise to hold the new games for a couple hours for me to get there each time one comes in. I have been trying to get these two games since the games both came out and still have no luck. They were supposed to be Christmas gifts.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited December 2015
    probably just Target trying for holiday gift sales over the competition

Yeah, this is what I was going to say. I don't think it has as much to do with the Sims not being pre-ordered as it does with Target viewing it as a very popular series that will draw in a lot of shoppers for the holidays.

Reg, the new CEO has changed things dramatically at EA, I've seen all kinds of things change since he took control. Maybe this is just one more thing that on that list? Just an idea.

ETA; not that EA's ceo has anything to do with Target, but that he has changed things at EA so that retailers can now discount EA's product earlier than we've seen in the past.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    How is this peculiar?
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • Options
    windweaver wrote: »
    probably just Target trying for holiday gift sales over the competition

Yeah, this is what I was going to say. I don't think it has as much to do with the Sims not being pre-ordered as it does with Target viewing it as a very popular series that will draw in a lot of shoppers for the holidays.

Reg, the new CEO has changed things dramatically at EA, I've seen all kinds of things change since he took control. Maybe this is just one more thing that on that list? Just an idea.

ETA; not that EA's ceo has anything to do with Target, but that he has changed things at EA so that retailers can now discount EA's product earlier than we've seen in the past.

Maybe. I just wish he would extend the sales to some of EA's other games then if it is his idea.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member

my take its because its xmas time. i once bought an sims 3 EP at release i cant recall which one now and the very next!!## day it was half off
  • Options
    The game being on sale at Target or any other retail location doesn't have any effect on EA's sales. EA has sold those retail copies to a distributor who then sells them to retailers. EA has a suggested retail price but it is up to the retailer to offer it at whatever price they see fit. And as @windweaver said Target is probably banking on a Get Together sale being a popular buy to draw shoppers into the store where they'll probably make up the difference by selling those customers other products. Now the time to start to wonder about peculiarities is when Origin discounts a new release within the week.
  • Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    edited December 2015
    Well I read in the paper a while ago that the Target stores in my area are going bankrupt so that might be a reason as to why. I can't remember if other stores are are verge or not. I only paid attention to my area. It makes sense though if it is something nationwide, put something brand new on sale in hopes customers will come in and spend more money on other things.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »

my take its because its xmas time. i once bought an sims 3 EP at release i cant recall which one now and the very next!!## day it was half off

WOW! I've never heard of that before...unless? was it ts3's katy parry stuff pack? That's the only thing I could imagine for this series. I ended up getting that sp for $5.00, lol a long time after release. But hey! it's all good!
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    marie29marie29 Posts: 200 Member
    edited December 2015
    This don't mean anything for me I remember when the sims 2 expansions packs were coming out target always had them on sell for 22.00 where other stores were selling it for 29.99. on release date. It is probably just them trying to get people into there store.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I mean it just looks like a holiday sale to me. X-mas is in two weeks so I'm sure a lot of things will be going on sale. I'd probably buy TS3 movie stuff half off on Origin if it were available
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited December 2015
    windweaver wrote: »
    ceejay402 wrote: »

WOW! I've never heard of that before...unless? was it ts3's katy parry stuff pack? That's the only thing I could imagine for this series. I ended up getting that sp for $5.00, lol a long time after release. But hey! it's all good!

ha! no i cant recall the EP but it was released like end of nov or dec and then it went on sale -- oh well :D
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    The same happened with Get To Work, only it was Best Buy that had it on sale. It was on sale before it even released!
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Things go on sale during the holidays.

It does not mean a game is doing poorly it goes on sale.

If you think that.. Then I guess Fallout 4 is doing bad as well then. ;)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The same happened with Get To Work, only it was Best Buy that had it on sale. It was on sale before it even released!

I have seen multiple games go on sale before they were released... So I guess those games are doing poorly then.

I seen Fallout 4 on sale for $50 before it was released, so I guess Fallout 4 is doing poorly as well. ;)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    It's been years since pre-Christmas sales in giftable retail were an indicator of anything being wrong. Even post-holiday sales aren't just on stock that undersold. Sales on popular items are also a way of getting shoppers into stores, where they will then buy other things too. This is why, for example, booksellers will discount the whole bestseller list.

Well then using you belief can you tell me why the other two non-sims games that came out a month ago are also not on sale yet and in fact out of stock since they came out. They won't even promise to hold the new games for a couple hours for me to get there each time one comes in. I have been trying to get these two games since the games both came out and still have no luck. They were supposed to be Christmas gifts.

It's on sale because Target believes IT WILL BE A BIG SELLER and as such are using the sale as a way of drawing customers in there as opposed to Wal-Mart or Amazon. Even if they don't make a huge profit (and their profit markup is 40% NOT 25% on video games and books) they'll make a profit and in theory it will bring customers into the store and they'll buy other stuff while in the store. It's called a "loss leader" technique and used commonly in retail, especially with big box retailers. I worked for Hasting for years and we ALWAYS carried new hardcover book releases at 40% off, which meant only a 5% profit at the price they had negotiated BUT they did it to draw people in away from other outlets to develop habits and encourage impulse buying while there. NOT BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT THE LATEST BEST SELLER WASN'T GOING TO SELL.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I think nobody is buying from Target because EA wants to cut out the resellers. What's the point in buying a an empty box? Empty box that comes with a code. From players' perspective it makes more sense to buy over origin where you can get the game faster at a finger click rather than going to a shop to buy something that you still need to download.

I think EA is successful in that and maybe in future they might stop offering EPs to retailers.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif