The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Having a baby while living on a retail lot... any ideas ?

Recently I tried to think of new ideas to make the game a little bit more challenging, and I started a new family with the idea that they would live on their retail lot. I wanted to see if it was possible for a whole family and their descendants to survive by earning money from a store only (no jobs).

I had totally forgotten that you can't have a baby on a retail lot !

How could I complete the challenge ?
And if it happened to you, how did you manage ? Did you age the baby right away ? Is there any cheat I don't know about that enables you to move a baby on a retail lot ? Or did you just give up and moved your family on their home lot... :/

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,712 Member
    Hello.
    You may need to age up the baby on the sims home lot straight away.
    I hope that your challenge goes well, and that your simd enjoy running the store :)
  • Options
    loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    edited October 2015
    Thanks for your answer @rosemow. :)
    I already knew that was indeed an option, but I would have liked to hear from simmers what they chose to do if they experienced that same situation, and if that particularity bothered other people than me. :D
  • Options
    RadiantPlasmaRadiantPlasma Posts: 2 New Member
    I had this same problem! Can children live on a retail lot without problems?
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,712 Member
    I had this same problem! Can children live on a retail lot without problems?

Hello @RaidiantPlasma. Children can live with their family at the retail lot, but after finishing the school day they may go back to their " home" lot rather than to the retail lot.
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    Now I got curious, can the sim get pregnant on the retail lot but not have the baby there or is that not possible either?

And, what happens when a pregnant sim running a store is about to have the baby if she can't have it on the retail lot and don't want to go to the hospital? Can she go back home to have it while in labour? :smile:
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    @JackOnYourBack The sim can get pregnant on the retail lot but the baby will appear on the home lot once it is born. I'm not sure a sim can travel to the home lot while in labour, as my sims always went to the hospital to give birth.
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    loutredor wrote: »
    @JackOnYourBack The sim can get pregnant on the retail lot but the baby will appear on the home lot once it is born. I'm not sure a sim can travel to the home lot while in labour, as my sims always went to the hospital to give birth.

Thanks for the info ^^
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    In case someone is interested here is an idea that I had concerning this problem. :)

When your sim is about to have a baby, use the cheat "sims.modify_funds +(insert here the value of the retail lot they live on)".
    Then copy that lot on the library and place it on their home lot, so that when the baby is born they can move there.
    That way they can live with their baby for a few days and they will have the same house and the same funds. It is still better than aging the baby up right away like your sim just gave birth to a fully grown child, which is creepy.

Obviously they will not be able to run the store during the time spent on the home lot though. They can move again once the baby ages up.
    So if the store is their only source of income, they better save some money, or they may have to live on quick meals.
    If you want to open the store you can still travel there but you won't be able to take care of the baby during that time. Also it is a little strange to go from your house to the exact copy of your house except your baby isn't there.

It still really bothers me that we can't have a baby and run a store at the same time in The Sims 4. I wish that would change in the future.
    I know some people hope that the baby-object changes to become a real baby sim that is not attached to a crib.
    That would probably put an end to that problem if it ever happened.
  • Options
    Aileen4_3ver22Aileen4_3ver22 Posts: 3 New Member
    I was trying out one of the suggestions above when I accidentally figured it out.
    My sim lives at her retail store and her "home" is empty. The baby spawned there after going to the hospital and when I put a house in the lot it went on top of the baby and put it in my inventory. From there I was able to go to my retail lot and take the baby out of my inventory and into my actual house/retail store