Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Favorite book/What are you reading now

OleummarkOleummark Posts: 30 Member
I have seen posts about people’s favorite video games or music and I thought it would be fun to see what books others are interested in and maybe spread some book ideas!
So what is your favorite book?
What are you currently reading?

If pressed, at the moment, my favorite book is actually a series (Barker & Llewelyn) by Will Thomas.

I am reading
The spirit catches you and you fall down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman.

Comments

• Options
    CipherMandyCipherMandy Posts: 524 Member
    Currently reading:
    51TClgBOJzL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Favorite:
    43763.jpg
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    My favorite books are The Neverending Story by Michael Ende and Candide by Voltaire.

Currently reading Fables Vol. 21: Happily Ever After
    vg8jlV4.jpg
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,106 Member
    I'm just re-reading my time filler read- the Twilight series- which I read whenever I'm out of other things to read. Because I read every night before bed, I just need something. When I decide on something else I'd like to read I'll switch. I'm considering The Maze Runner, The Fault in Our Stars, or Warm Bodies.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    pottergoosepottergoose Posts: 1,543 Member
    Harry Potter, which I'm reading for now my sixth time :blush:
    I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition
  • Options
    @LadyWindrunner15 Interview With a Vampire is really good! If you haven't read the rest of The Vampire Chronicles, do, they are all good.
    @pottergoose I've read Harry Potter quite a few times as well. First on my own, then with each of my 4 kids. Two of them have also read them all on their own. My second oldest goes back to them whenever he runs out of other things to read, he's probably read them 4 or 5 times. Good series.
  • Options
    pottergoosepottergoose Posts: 1,543 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    @LadyWindrunner15 Interview With a Vampire is really good! If you haven't read the rest of The Vampire Chronicles, do, they are all good.
    @pottergoose I've read Harry Potter quite a few times as well. First on my own, then with each of my 4 kids. Two of them have also read them all on their own. My second oldest goes back to them whenever he runs out of other things to read, he's probably read them 4 or 5 times. Good series.

I'm a complete potter dork, not even kidding.

I belong to a fan club
    Been to two HP conventions
    cosplay
    Met Rowling in NYC
    Was inspired to start a book which I just finished writing this week
    and been to the WWOHP twice.

It is so much part of my life, hobby and socialization, that I owe so much to that series.

But...pffft I'm not addicted or something *hides*
    I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition
  • Options
    AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    Right now I'm in my zombie books phase, but I'm an avid reader so I'll try pretty much anything. The horror and post apocalyptic genres have been my favorite lately tho.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I'm thinking I'll start rereading the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr. I haven't started yet though, once I find my ereader cord I will. I was trying to reread Harry Potter but some of my books are missing and I can't afford replacements, so I guess that will wait until I can.

My favourite books would be the Harry Potter books. Beyond that I can't pick favourites, I just love a lot of books. HP is the only clear favourite I have at all.
  • Options
    CipherMandyCipherMandy Posts: 524 Member
    Gah!! I forgot all about Harry Potter!! How could I forget Harry!!! I have three separate sets, all for the cover art, of the books. The Hogwarts school book collection, and I belong to the "I'm still in denial about Fred (favorite, along with George, character) dying" club. Add that to my favorite list!

Fred dying....

tumblr_static_lie-down-try-not-to-cry-cry-a-lot.jpg

@lisamwitt Anne Rice is my queen, and I bow to her epicness. I have read all of the Vampire Chronicles quite a few times. She was the very first author I ever really got into, and devoured every book she published.
  • Options
    Jen1129Jen1129 Posts: 267 Member
    Right now, I am re-reading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

As for favorites, I don't know if I can pick just one! I guess Wuthering Heights is up there on my list, though.
  • Options
    kati77kati77 Posts: 3,146 Member
    @Amiutza, I love post apocalyptic stuff, too, and I'm currently very desperately trying to find something good to read during the summer. Can you recommend me something? :)

My own favorites are Margaret Atwood's Handmaid's Tale and the MadAddam -trilogy. I was also really impressed by The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I only wish I could find something as good as those to read...

Oh, I don't mind zombies either. One of my favorite TV shows is Walking Dead, and I really liked the book World War Z (the movie was horrible and had nothing to do with the book).

01-06-18_5-09-41%C2%A0PM_2.png

• Options
    @kati77 one of my fav post apocalyptic is The 5th wave, even tho it's a bit more on the ya side, I found it very well written. I've read the books you mentioned and I'm trying to think of similar stuff.

If you like tvd, the dude that writes the comics has a trilogy about the governor, like an alternative storry. I believe the first book is called either Rise of the governor or Road to Woodberry. It's a different take from the show.

If I think of something else, I'll leave you some links when I get to the pc (on the phone atm).
    hhHD2XB.png
  • Options
    Amiutza wrote: »
    @kati77 one of my fav post apocalyptic is The 5th wave, even tho it's a bit more on the ya side, I found it very well written. I've read the books you mentioned and I'm trying to think of similar stuff.

If you like tvd, the dude that writes the comics has a trilogy about the governor, like an alternative storry. I believe the first book is called either Rise of the governor or Road to Woodberry. It's a different take from the show.

If I think of something else, I'll leave you some links when I get to the pc (on the phone atm).

Thanks! I'll check The 5th wave. It being ya literature might not be that bad. I actually loved The Uglies -series, and it definitely was ya :)

I'm a bit suspicious about the governor thing. Can a book that's a spin off from a tv show really be good? Anyway, I didn't really like the governor. I mean, I guess no-one actually really liked him, since he was a crazy bad guy, but I didn't think he was such a good character, really.

• Options
    kati77 wrote: »
    Amiutza wrote: »

Thanks! I'll check The 5th wave. It being ya literature might not be that bad. I actually loved The Uglies -series, and it definitely was ya :)

I'm a bit suspicious about the governor thing. Can a book that's a spin off from a tv show really be good? Anyway, I didn't really like the governor. I mean, I guess no-one actually really liked him, since he was a crazy bad guy, but I didn't think he was such a good character, really.

It's actually not a spin off and it has almost no similarity to the show, story wise. It's more of a "things were like this in the show, but they could have been this instead ".
    I read the uglies series too and The 5th wave was definitely better imo.
    hhHD2XB.png
  • Options
    Oh, perhaps I should check it out after all :) But first I think I'll get more information on The 5th wave.

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children for the second time. I read a lot of teen books.. Are you ever too old to read teen books? :p
    51xgGEKd6oL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SkyscraperfanSkyscraperfan Posts: 4,287 Member
    green eggs n ham
    My current Novelcy and general blog:
    https://themostevilfish.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children for the second time. I read a lot of teen books.. Are you ever too old to read teen books? :p
    I read it too and I'm very much looking forward to the movie version. And no, we're never too old :lol:
    hhHD2XB.png
  • Options

Nope. I'm 36 and have read quite a few YA/Teen books. I just read whatever appeals to me regardless of who it's intended audience is.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,829 Member
    @Amiutza Really? I didn't know it has a movie coming out.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    @Simasaurus09 yup, directed by Tim Burton even. Expected March 2016 as of right now.
    hhHD2XB.png
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member

I do too. A lot of them are really good, and honestly I don't give a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about the intended ages if it's a good book. I can see myself still reading teen/YA books at like 90.
  • Options
    HaitakaHaitaka Posts: 289 Member
    My favorite are the Harry Potter book series ^^
    tumblr_inline_nwa6au39531rd9om8_500.gif

Alone in the darkness, it's so cold and crazy
    And everybody’s heartless,
    got no one to save me
    But f it imma be all right, wake up and rise
  • Options
    Kaike78Kaike78 Posts: 414 Member
    Instead of naming a favorite book, I'll just say that my favorite authors are Russell Kirkpatrick, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Stephen King. I like too many of their works to just name one favorite. :)

I am currently reading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. Next up is 30 Days of Night: Fear of the Dark by Tim Lebbon.
    "Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

-Oscar Wilde

• Options
    CaliadneAmatrixCaliadneAmatrix Posts: 210 Member
    Yay, a thread about books! I love reading!
    My favorite book... I like too many; I can't choose. I love basically anything by Agatha Christie or P. G. Wodehouse. I love Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. I'm a fan of Jane Austen, especially Pride and Prejudice. I love the play The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. I adore the Fruits Basket manga series, and I'm in the middle of reading the Fullmetal Alchemist manga which I'm also loving. There are so many more books I could name....
    Currently, I'm reading the unabridged Les Miserables. I've seen the movie; I figured it was about time to read the book.