Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    edited September 2017
    15aewar wrote: »
    Have any of you guys ever written a Sims story with changing points of view?

Yes, I do. I tend to only change by chapter. And I'll usually find a way to indicate early on who the narrator is (if first-person). If third-person-limited, then I just trust the reader to figure out whose perspective they're seeing.

EDIT: in other words, what friendsfan does! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

Yarp! Ironbound has about... 12+ POV characters, I lost count after a while! :D

aghhhhhhhhhhhhh were reading that in ww now i'm scared.

This isn't a scary story, Sis! It's really awesome. There's a lot of action, but it's not really all that scary. Oh, wait... do you mean scary because of all the POV characters? Well, they're all awesome, so you'll love it!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,263 Member

My #BuildNewcrest Challenge story part tells the POV from the heir. So Generation 1 is told from the founder; when Gen 2 begins, the storyteller becomes the Gen 2 heir (even if founder is still living); and so forth.
  • Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    I do POV similar to @CathyTea -- I only use first person in specific stories, or if it's in the middle of a story that's usually in third, I make sure to specify at the beginning of the chapter who's narrating. I have been known to switch third person limited POV in the middle of a chapter, which I denote like this
    And then continue writing from the perspective of the other character. I try to make it fairly obvious whose perspective I'm writing from when I switch in the middle of a chapter so I don't need a random author's note in the middle of it.
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »

Yarp! Ironbound has about... 12+ POV characters, I lost count after a while! :D

aghhhhhhhhhhhhh were reading that in ww now i'm scared.

This isn't a scary story, Sis! It's really awesome. There's a lot of action, but it's not really all that scary. Oh, wait... do you mean scary because of all the POV characters? Well, they're all awesome, so you'll love it!

i meant the length last time i checked i think its over100 chapters.
  • Options

i meant the length last time i checked i think its over100 chapters.

Oh. It's so worth it! :)

• Options
    why do the benders always have differnt ideas than me. i didn't want adriens story to end up sounding like a repeat of ayden but he likes the girl hes with not the one i picked which was later. oh well at least its a good story. i think.
  • Options
    msbeckycatmsbeckycat Posts: 3,445 Member
    I am writing my legacy with Ariane's view. Whoever comes next the view will come from them.
  • Options

Yes, I do. I tend to only change by chapter. And I'll usually find a way to indicate early on who the narrator is (if first-person). If third-person-limited, then I just trust the reader to figure out whose perspective they're seeing.

i still rember you didn't remember jennys name.
  • Options
    rats i have to cave again. aparently adrian doesn't care i wrote about lust already with his brother he picked a girl and thats it ipicked a differnt girl aparently hes not totaly ayedn. ayden would've whooed the with the other girl then told her just friends. adrien likes the one he pick so much he went to bed while my choice was still there.

i'm not sure if i'm annoyed or proud of him he ruined my plan but like his big brother he knows what he wants.
  • Options

I still don't. I don't even remember that story!

• Options

I still don't. I don't even remember that story!

shift.
  • Options
    i remember bits and pieces of the previous bender attempts. i just can't remember if they all come from the same attempt.
  • Options
    It's the Grand Opening Day for Bob's Breakfast! Will Bob and Eliza be ready?

132.png?resize=594%2C311
    House of Pancakes: Chapter 23
    A new chapter for Bob and Eliza Pancakes was about to begin. Many years ago their marriage had drifted apart. Neither of the two knew what to do about it. But one morning, Eliza took a step forward to figuring out what to do. Slowly there was…
    READ MORE

(friendly reminder the links go to this site's forum thread, so you don't need to leave the site to read House of Pancakes. You can also follow my WordPress site and get updates and read the chapters first there before anyone gets to here.)
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    edited September 2017

All the time, @15aewar. I follow the Racket family of Twinbrook and my protagonist, Rachel around in my Colt Family Traitacy. In fact I had so much fun switching viewpoints, sometimes I forgot it's Rachel's story. The Rackets equal 7 plus Rachel (8) plus Sinbad (who becomes an honorary member) and then a random chapter from Gwayne Bayless' POV, and Russ (another Racket) so I definitely spent a lot of time switching around... sheesh... now that I think about it, the story should've been rotational. Man, I miss the Rackets now.

I switch up sometimes when I hit writer's block in a series. It helps gain fresh perspective and keeps me on my toes.

I only wrote in first person in my main story, Kass's series but honestly I've been thinking about switching to third person. I think I wrote better in third.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I know Nancy Landgraab is in the criminal field, but does she always have to be so rude? lol

House of Pancakes Spoiler Alert!!
    As soon as she was seated and my waiter arrived, she started throwing out forbidden words at him! What the hell? :grimace: He didn't even have a chance to take her order before she was throwing wordy things. I wanted to screenshot it but missed my opportunity. I saw it when my hostess was seating another customer right next to her that I was watching.
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited September 2017
    After a silly amount of work, I finally have the first chapter up. It's nothing more than an introduction, but, hey, it's progress!
    Hw4Jhhd.jpg
    I say to you againe, doe not call up Any that you can not put downe. Ask of the Lesser, lest the Greater shall not wish to Answer, and shall commande more than you.
    ~ H. P. Lovecraft, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
    The Shadow Over Newcrest Prologue: Chapter I
  • Options
    matthewrodneymatthewrodney Posts: 150 Member
    I'm having such a hard time keeping up with my Sims these days. I love playing the game, but I always end up playing way too far ahead and find myself going through the monotony of daily life instead of fleshing out my story! Why are their lives so short!
    pax_link.jpg?w=680
  • Options
    15aewar15aewar Posts: 1,051 Member
    I'm having such a hard time keeping up with my Sims these days. I love playing the game, but I always end up playing way too far ahead and find myself going through the monotony of daily life instead of fleshing out my story! Why are their lives so short!

Well, there's always long mode :D
  • Options

There's also MCCC Mod where you can set how many sims days for each lifespan. :grimace:
  • Options
    Not every customer was pleased on Bob's Breakfast Grand Opening!

143.png?resize=594%2C311
    House of Pancakes: Chapter 24
    Seven o’clock in the morning. Across the street from the Pancakes home sits a restaurant. A restaurant ready to serve breakfast. A restaurant opening its doors for the first time. A restaurant waiting for its first customer to step through its doors. Their first customer doesn’t arrive…
    READ MORE

(friendly reminder the links go to this site's forum thread, so you don't need to leave the site to read House of Pancakes. You can also follow my WordPress site and get updates and read the chapters first there before anyone gets to here.)
  • Options

That's where skipping generations (or at least everyday stuff) comes in!

Seriously, those opportunities are rich! By now, most readers are so familiar with the usual TS4 legacy arc that playing ahead like this allows you all sorts of creative liberty in how you tell the story, including jumping ahead and filling in as needed through flashback.

Just touching lightly upon things, with an iceberg-type approach, can free up the story and get back the play-write rhythm!

• Options
    i'm sad well bummed. my favorite manager quit. the good news is the one that bugs me wasn't there either.
  • Options

well i was trying to write a totally seperate part for my sim adrien. but on his own he decied he liked his older brother aydens story. of all the role models he could have picked he picked that one. so now i'm writing but trying to make it differnt.
  • Options

There's also MCCC Mod where you can set how many sims days for each lifespan. :grimace:

i use mc but i play with aging off.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top