Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wheelchairs

MerceMarzMerceMarz Posts: 79 Member
:( I've watched the Doctor Career video on YouTube over and over and still didn't see a wheelchair in sight...how can you have a hospital without one stinking wheelchair!?

I sad.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• Options
    KarrterrKarrterr Posts: 1,329 Member
    IKR lol
  • Options
    It kind of makes me weary of spending my money on this EP...because if something as basic as a wheelchair isn't included, it makes me wonder what other staple objects are missing with the other careers that just seem odd not to have?

I mean, the wheelchair doesn't even have to be functional....but to not have one at all in a hospital just seems odd. I hope I'm wrong and there is one somewhere in the buy mode..but I'll be highly disappointed if they don't show up.
  • Options
    KarrterrKarrterr Posts: 1,329 Member
    I would hope that the pregnant lady doesn't have to walk to the delivery room while in labor. That would be a little odd but who knows that might have been a hard thing for them to put in the game.
  • Options
    At least one that's not functional would do...even if it's a chair that looks like a wheelchair.
  • Options
    howsimlishhowsimlish Posts: 709 Member
    It could be a trigger to some people, plus pregnant sims loose all their baby stuff the moment the baby's born, the sims is a parody not realism.
  • Options
    I don't think I'd ask for a functional wheelchair...just a chair that looks like one that sims can sit it. It would be cool for storytelling...Though, I'm sure if it's not put into the EP, someone in the sim community would make CC wheelchairs.
  • Options
    howsimlishhowsimlish Posts: 709 Member
    MerceMarz wrote: »
    I don't think I'd ask for a functional wheelchair...just a chair that looks like one that sims can sit it. It would be cool for storytelling...Though, I'm sure if it's not put into the EP, someone in the sim community would make CC wheelchairs.

Definitely, there's one for TS2 that could be converted.
  • Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited February 2015
    Nice observation. I hope there are going to be wheelchairs. It's kinda a big thing not to have - although it wouldn't surprise me because EA probably thinks the "animations are too hard, expensive and time-consuming". (Even though someone will probably make the cc in their free time, outside of work, and for free)
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    Dragon123561Dragon123561 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Maybe there will be a wheelchair (non workable), everything shown in the trailer thus far is not all, (It's just a concept of what to expect and the things definitely that are in) there's more surprises to be seen, the game has not gone gold.
    OTBANNERhol_zpslahzogjc.png

• Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited February 2015
    This is sort of a reason why disability should and shouldn't be in The Sims 4 I found one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT-I8D5-EUY

I know it's kind of unrelated because I assume you mean not permanent wheelchairs but just for pushing around after your sim has given birth or surgery.
  • Options
    HunterInShadowHunterInShadow Posts: 302 Member
    If there were wheelchairs, some Sims could probably mistake them for a quirky kind of bicycles. Imagine a Sim walking to the curb, summoning a wheelchair and then start pushing himself to wherever he was going. Also, Eco-Friendly sims would probably see them as an alternative to bicycles anyway.
    "Never tempt the Predator into a Bloodlust." - HunterInShadow
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,759 Member
    If there were wheelchairs, some Sims could probably mistake them for a quirky kind of bicycles. Imagine a Sim walking to the curb, summoning a wheelchair and then start pushing himself to wherever he was going. Also, Eco-Friendly sims would probably see them as an alternative to bicycles anyway.

I don't know about you but I never seen a 4 wheel bikecyle, All the bicyles I seen are 2 wheels. Or an adult tricycle 3 wheels.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    In reality wheelchairs are sad because they are mainly are used by people who can't walk. The Sims is suppose to be a fun video game that makes people smile, and laugh when they are playing it, or watching someone who is. And to see a character roll around in a wheelchair in the game because they can't walk. Or even a sim who can walk, and wants to sit in one in the game would be sad. And would defeat the purpose of people having fun, smiling, and laughing over what goes on in the game. Now I know that some of you want wheelchairs in the game, and I respect that. But I'm out on this because to me wheelchairs are a sad thing to see. :(
  • Options
    2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    Karrterr wrote: »
    I would hope that the pregnant lady doesn't have to walk to the delivery room while in labor. That would be a little odd but who knows that might have been a hard thing for them to put in the game.

I walked to the delivery room on the second floor when having my kids??? They encourage you to walk round when in labour not sit in a wheelchair

My origin id is sim2011
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    Most hospitals wheel patients around as a matter of policy, either in a chair or on a stretcher. It's not about disabilities it's about realistic hospitals.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Andygal wrote: »
    Most hospitals wheel patients around as a matter of policy, either in a chair or on a stretcher. It's not about disabilities it's about realistic hospitals.
    Yes, I'm aware that because I use to work in a community hospital. And so you see by working in one in RL, I have seen to many people wheeled around in one because they can't walk. But yes, wheelchairs would make the hospital in GTW more realistic. That was one two reasons why I hated going to work at a community hospital, and why I'm against adding wheelchairs to the game. :(
  • Options
    IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    Too much realism kind of ruins the experience.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    sunman502 wrote: »
    In reality wheelchairs are sad because they are mainly are used by people who can't walk. The Sims is suppose to be a fun video game that makes people smile, and laugh when they are playing it, or watching someone who is. And to see a character roll around in a wheelchair in the game because they can't walk. Or even a sim who can walk, and wants to sit in one in the game would be sad. And would defeat the purpose of people having fun, smiling, and laughing over what goes on in the game. Now I know that some of you want wheelchairs in the game, and I respect that. But I'm out on this because to me wheelchairs are a sad thing to see. :(

Wheelchairs aren't that sad. What's sadder for me is being confined in bed all day. Which without wheelchairs or other mobility devices is what people with mobility disablties (that I wouldn't discuss here no matter how much I personally want them to be added) would be stuck doing. Not to be mention being stuck in their own filth and being neglected-much like how elderly folks today are if they're in nursing homes. Its better for them to be able to live a full live like the rest of society
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »

Wheelchairs aren't that sad. What's sadder for me is being confined in bed all day. Which without wheelchairs is what people with mobility disablties (that I wouldn't discuss here no matter how much I personally want them to be added) would be stuck doing. Not to be mention being stuck in their own filth and being neglected-much like how elderly folks today are if they're in nursing homes. Its better for them to be able to live a full live like the rest of society
    That's very sweet of you to say. :)
    I agree, seeing people who have to stay in bed all day is just as sad as seeing people having to spend the rest of their lives in a wheelchair. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Wheelchairs aren't that sad. What's sadder for me is being confined in bed all day. Which without wheelchairs is what people with mobility disablties (that I wouldn't discuss here no matter how much I personally want them to be added) would be stuck doing. Not to be mention being stuck in their own filth and being neglected-much like how elderly folks today are if they're in nursing homes. Its better for them to be able to live a full live like the rest of society
    I agree, seeing people who have to stay in bed all day is just as sad as seeing people having to spend the rest of their lives in a wheelchair. :(

I personally disagree with wheelchairs (or other mobility devices) being sad. How else do you suggest people who are either born with mobility disablties or get it later in life (like Archie from Glee) move around in the daily lives? They can't climb stairs, nor can they stand like the rest of us. Just because they're disabled doesn't mean they can't have wohoo like other people and they can still work they just need special equipment. I'm not going to get into fight about disabilities since I'm not here for that but to be excited about the new EP. Its either choice 1)being confined to bed all day or choice 2)use mobility device (wheelchair, electric scooter) to move around) and have a life if you couldn't use your legs which would you prefer? (sorry if I'm being too harsh-disablties is a subject that I connect to a lot aka I feel strongly about)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    siminscsiminsc Posts: 854 Member
    Most hospitals have you wheeled out in a wheelchair when you're being released.
  • Options
    If not wheelchairs...what about something like cruches!? In TS3 you had an option for your elder sims to use a cane in the Generations EP. Maybe that would be a good alternative in this new EP..if the sim breaks a leg, they can be give a boot and some cruches and they'll walk around..

Maybe they can even hit another sim with their cruches!!...then spend the weekend in the new jail for assault and battery. LOL
  • Options

I personally disagree with wheelchairs (or other mobility devices) being sad. How else do you suggest people who are either born with mobility disablties or get it later in life (like Archie from Glee) move around in the daily lives? They can't climb stairs, nor can they stand like the rest of us. Just because they're disabled doesn't mean they can't have wohoo like other people and they can still work they just need special equipment. I'm not going to get into fight about disabilities since I'm not here for that but to be excited about the new EP. Its either choice 1)being confined to bed all day or choice 2)use mobility device (wheelchair, electric scooter) to move around) and have a life if you couldn't use your legs which would you prefer? (sorry if I'm being too harsh-disablties is a subject that I connect to a lot aka I feel strongly about)
    No I'm not suggesting that they can't move around their lives. And there are specially made chairs that go up, and down the stairs. It's good that they have these chairs so that they can go places. But it makes me sad that they do have use these things to move around with in the first place. I prefer that they don't have to go through this at all. Now thankfully medicine has advanced so far in the last 120 years or so to the point that people with limited mobility can walk again, and even run. So thankfully wheelchairs are quickly becoming a thing of the past.
    And there's another reason why wheelchairs should not be in the game. These chairs might bring up some terrible memories to some people that as suffer some horrible events in their lives that involve a wheelchair. Like maybe someone was in some horrible car accident, and ended in a wheelchair for a time. Would you prefer to have a wheelchair in the game, and have them see that and have them relive that tragic day in their life all over again? Or would you prefer to have them play this game with out wheelchairs, and give them their peace of mind and let them enjoy playing this game? Me, I would choose option two. I rather see them having their peace of mind, and enjoy playing this game without them having something to remind them of some tragic event. :(

• Options
    edited February 2015
    The same can be said about many other objects in the game. If it's not a wheelchair that reminds them of a tragic event, it could be that their sim child drowned in the pool when they stepped away from the game and they had a family member in real life drown in a pool....

It's kind of a double edge sword when you use that excuse...also, some people have spent their whole lives in a wheelchair and don't know anything else and are comfortable with that...what about those simmers who are forced to have Sims that walk around, wouldn't that send the message that they aren't adequate? Or at least make them feel that way?

This is why using the "It's so sad" excuse doesn't work...the game is a life simulator..and there are some things in life that are sad. Being electrocuted to death is sad, but we still laugh when it happens to a sim. Being cheated on is horrible, but we still live for the sim drama! Being in a wheelchair is sad too..but that doesn't mean the game can't make it fun...like adding rocket jets to the chair and have them fly around like a boss, or run over other sims feet with their wheels.
  • Options
    @suman I don't think wheelchairs will be a thing of the past anytime soon since disablties wouldn't be gone anytime soon. I would risk the chance of people having to relieve memories of 'bad experiences' just for simmers who view wheelchairs as part of themselves. From what I read in threads on Sims 3 wheelchair user simmers its what MerceMarz says. I can't accurately created myself since there's no hearing aid and glasses are treated like an accessory so it doesn't go with work outfits (which I find stupid)
    6adMCGP.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top