Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Savvy Seller's Collection - Worth it?

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
Hi, so I really miss Open For Business but I'm a little tired of playing it in The Sims 2 (after 9 years I guess that's understandable :p)

Apparently if you purchase the Midnight Hollow world for The Sims 3, you can run your own business Open For Business style. Originally you could buy the Savvy Seller's Collection for just 500 Sim Points, but now you have to buy the whole world.

http://store.thesims3.com/productDetail.html?productId=OFB-SIM3:69059&section=UpSell

Because it used to cost $5, I was curious to know if it's actually worth buying Midnight Hollow for the Savvy Seller's Collection? Because good Sims 3 content didn't come cheap and $5 seems too cheap for something so good.

So I'm just curious. Reviews all say it's great, but they basically think anything from the store is amazing (so not true). So is it worth getting the whole world for it? Or does the Savvy Seller's Collection basically get boring after 5 minutes?

Thanks ^^

Comments

• Options
    ModseyModsey Posts: 1,468 Member
    Midnight Hallow is pretty good if you like the steampunk/goth style. It's good for fantasy games but it's very dark and it almost feels like it's night all the time. I don't play it very much anymore. As for the Savvy Seller's Collection, I've never played that so I can't give an accurate review.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Here's a review/tutorial on using the Savvy Seller's set. There's also a mod for it on MTS, but I don't remember what the mod does.

After looking over that review I linked to, I decided the set was nothing like OFB and so far haven't purchased it. But I ran across this post just the other day which sounded really interesting. I will probably buy Midnight Hollow w/ the Savvy Seller set the next time it's on sale and just use it to set up NPC stores.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Why don't you just buy the bakery venue?
  • Options
    Mistletoe143Mistletoe143 Posts: 2,803 Member
    The Savvy Seller Collection is nothing like Open for Business in Sims 2. It is very basic and you can only sell items from the catalog (no crafted or baked goods) and sims only seem to purchase items when the owner is on lot. Also, there is no restocking fee, so the challenge is kind of gone.

However, if you buy Savvy Seller with the intentions of using the mods that exist out there, it works awesome and I can recommend it. If you use mods, then I can recommend both the bakery and savvy seller collections, but without mods, it's kind of flat otherwise.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I prefer the bakery venue instead, and I have both. I do have Midnight Hollow, and when I did played it, I have to use a mod to lighten it up, the world is just way tooooooooooooo dark. With the bakery set it opens up for my sim to make lots of homemade goodies.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2015
    It depends on your computer if MH is too dark. It isn't on mine. I mean, it is a grey and dark world of course (although the most beautiful colours can occur too) but that's the way it's designed. But it's definitely not too dark for me. although I wouldn't like to play there generation after generation.

I agree with others concerning the savvy's seller. I never played OFB, but Savvy's Seller is rather boring and pointless.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,436 Member
    Savvy Seller is a great way to earn tons of money when you are running a resort. Create a beautiful shop in the hotel lobby and your guests will love you.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    It's nothing as complex as TS2 OFB but it's ok. It wasn't the reason I wanted Midnight Hollow though.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    The Savvy Seller Collection is nothing like Open for Business in Sims 2. It is very basic and you can only sell items from the catalog (no crafted or baked goods) and sims only seem to purchase items when the owner is on lot. Also, there is no restocking fee, so the challenge is kind of gone.

However, if you buy Savvy Seller with the intentions of using the mods that exist out there, it works awesome and I can recommend it. If you use mods, then I can recommend both the bakery and savvy seller collections, but without mods, it's kind of flat otherwise.

What mods are those? Sorry for the bump. I forgot I made this until I wanted to try it again.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,931 Member
    edited June 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »

What mods are those? Sorry for the bump. I forgot I made this until I wanted to try it again.

There are a lot of mods for all sorts of things. I'm not sure of the exact ones you would need. I know there is something called Savvier Seller.

If you haven't purchased the world yet then I'd recommend getting the gold version with the toy store as there is a lot of extra content that comes with it.

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/The+Savvier+Seller

EDIT: You'll find lots of extra interesting info if you google Savvier Seller.
  • Options
    Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    IMO, Midnight Hollow is worth it for the spiral staircases alone. that said, while I haven't done much with the SS stuff (not related to 1940's Germany), it seems intriguing to me.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited June 2016
    @jackjack_k - Around the Sims 3 also offers many racks, displays, and registers for both the Savvy Seller that came with the store world as well as Savvier Seller models for those who use the mod, if you use CC.

The Savvier Seller mod allows you to sell more things. You can sell anything that is available in Buy mode as well as set the displays to only restock from the savvier seller register. This means that if you are selling your own produce that you have to place your extra produce inside the registers inventory (use the "open" like all other storage containers in TS3). This way, if you sell a garlic and you have extra garlic in the register inventory then it can be restocked.

It's not perfect - I found things actually ran smoother if you hire a clerk to ring up and restock automatically but the good news is that you can hire your own sim to be the clerk. :D Also, sims seem to be more attracted to my musical instrument store that is restocked from Buy mode than they are my produce store, which doesn't sell much. But after setting it up you can have other sims visit the store to buy things (if you switch households I mean).

Hope that helps - mod was originally available on MTS but is now hosted at NRAAS and has been updated with some tweaks so I recommend downloading it there.

Oh, thought of something else - some things that sims buy will be placed in the family inventory. When I first set up stores to test the mod I had one that sold CC grocery items as well as a musical instrument store, a flower shop. Later I switched the CC grocery stuff to produce grown by a gardener sim.

In this same game I switched households eventually and found several CC grocery items in their family inventory; I use a mod that allows me to consign more things so I got rid of them that way and they got a little money back. ;)

Some of the kids in this family also had musical instruments in their personal inventories, too. I thought that was rather cool because even though they can't play them 'til their teens at least they would be available for them later. The down side is that you will have sims all over your town with stuff in their inventories (and I'm pretty sure it works the same way whether you use the mod or the regular Savvy Seller stuff).

Anyway, I really like it, especially with the mod. I am in the process of building a lot that is going to be like a craft fair, with stations for painter sims, sims who make things with the glass blowing station, a station with the Grandma's Canning station so that sims can sell their canned items, a station with a sculpting station, etc. Haven't finished it or play-tested it yet so have no idea if it works yet.
    Post edited by HappySimmer3 on
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    R3B3CKVHR3B3CKVH Posts: 473 Member
    edited June 2016
    @HappySimmer3 I have had trouble getting anyone to actually buy something. I read online that one girl stuck her sims old bed on a rug and made a fortune.. So naturally, I put a bed on the rug. Nothing. 4 sims weeks later, and not a single item sold.

Please let me know if you are able to sell the artisan goods... I wanted to sell that stuff at my store.
    Split Reflections: A Sim Story by R3B3CKVH
    www.splitreflections.wordpress.com
    Be Sure to Subscribe
    "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
    tumblr_lz7l7oGCyn1qevqqyo1_500.gif

• Options
    SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    edited June 2016
    I have it but I've never really used it. It's not even comparable to OfB, unfortunately.
  • Options
    I will, @R3B3CKVH, but I have to go out of town for a few days so not sure how soon I'll get to test it.

When you set up your shop, what commercial lot type did you assign to it? Did you have customers at all?

• Options
    I will, @R3B3CKVH, but I have to go out of town for a few days so not sure how soon I'll get to test it.

When you set up your shop, what commercial lot type did you assign to it? Did you have customers at all?

@HappySimmer3 I designated it a hangout. People came, but no one bought anything.
    Be Sure to Subscribe
    "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Some days my hangout doesn't do much business either, but I have no idea why you aren't selling anything.

Do you use lots from the Exchange? If so, here are a couple of lots that use the Savvy Seller set (if you are using the Savvier Seller mod you'll have to replace the rugs and displays with those versions):

Carters by Karritz
    Bridal shop by kateoverend
    Surf Shack by sunsetsorbet
    Buttercup Cafe by Alizatina

Maybe try one of those to see if there is something set up differently to your lot?
    Post edited by HappySimmer3 on

• Options
    I have a couple of Savvy Seller stores that I built. They have a large selection of content from build/buy mode plus many items from buyDeBug.

The main use I have for these stores is as a resource to send my Sims to buy items I'd like in my game but can't get to unless I travel to a World Adventures world or go into buy debug. I will also send them there to get specific items available from buy mode as I find it easier to get them from the savvy seller store than to go into buy mode and look through the catalogs.

I've also placed consignment registers and nectary register as wells professional bar and bistro oven in one or the other of the stores. My Sims go to consign their produce or other items and can eat at the cafe or relax at the bar. The bar also has a dance floor and juke box.

Therefore, I rarely try to use these stores as a business my sims own and earn an income from, I do get a lot of use from them.
  • Options
    As I learned the hard way, if you set up your shop on a residential lot your not going to get much business. That, and the Savvy Seller door will lock your sims out of their own house.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    Some days my hangout doesn't do much business either, but I have no idea why you aren't selling anything.

Do you use lots from the Exchange? If so, here are a couple of lots that use the Savvy Seller set (if you are using the Savvier Seller mod you'll have to replace the rugs and displays with those versions):

Carters by Karritz

Maybe try one of those to see if there is something set up differently to your lot?

@HappySimmer3 I built the store myself. Used the door and register... So, I dunno. O.o It was in River View, if that makes a difference.
    Be Sure to Subscribe
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Shouldn't make any difference but different types of lots attract sims with certain traits. Hangouts attract childish sims and party animals. I forget the other traits offhand.

I understand that you built the lot, and maybe everything is set up correctly. I just have no way of knowing how you have it set up and thought that perhaps looking at the way others have set them up might be helpful. It was the only other suggestion I could think of, I'm afraid.

If you're confident everything is working fine then I have no idea why your sims don't purchase anything, unless they're broke (savvier seller mod takes into account their funds). Maybe you could send another sim in your household there to see if they can buy stuff?

• Options
    @HappySimmer3 I used several tutorials to figure out the ins and outs of setup. The option to buy was there, when I used other household sims at the store. So, I tried that. :disappointed: O.o Maybe it was the wrong lot assignment then? Because I was trying to sell high end furniture and sculptures. The tutorials I read though said use the "hangout" lot assignment. Which one do you use?
    Be Sure to Subscribe
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I usually use hang out too, but if you use NRAAS mods you can also set it as a small market (I have most of them so I have no idea which ones are responsible). Normally the market lot type is only available in the WA worlds (so you need WA too). Markets attract about the same number of sims IME but it doesn't "encourage" sims with specific traits, like the other lot types do. All lots "discourage" sims with the couch potato trait from autonomously visiting but of course traits do not matter with your controllable sims.

Maybe you could try offering some less expensive items to see if sims buy those? Just another idea to try. You could also try changing the lot to an Art Gallery. Maybe artistic sims would be more interested in buying the sculptures! :)

• Options
    R3B3CKVH wrote: »

Carters by Karritz

@HappySimmer3 I built the store myself. Used the door and register... So, I dunno. O.o It was in River View, if that makes a difference.

You also need the mats. Only items on the mats can be sold. However this includes windows and things hanging from the ceiling if they are directly above the mats.
  • Options
    Haven't started up my shop owner experiment game again yet. But I thought I'd ask, what sort of things can be put on the shelves?