Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

January Patch: Johnny Zest is now Zest Johnny for me

I'm loath to start a whole thread on just one name of one character but it might be helpful to point out that one of the notes that came out with the January patch announced that "Zest Johnny will hereafter be known as Johnny Zest"-- the way the character's name is supposed to be.

Kind of a Heads Up to the guru-geeks.

Unfortunately, my game originally had his name right-- until the patch made it wrong.
For me looks like it's forever after "Zest Johnny".

This is here in case anyone else saw a non-problem --- "fixed"--- into a problem.

This is here for anyone else with similar experiences can add their electronic voice.

Aside from that, speaking for myself, it's not that big a deal --if it is the only thing the patch "unfixed" for me, which so far it is.-- In my line of work I have seen this kind of "opposite effect" baloney before and am not surprised.

Comments

• Options
    BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    The mind wobbles. One wonders how this could happen.
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    shygirlshygirl Posts: 221 Member
    in my game it was Zest Johnny
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    I have not read of anyone whose base game had "Johnny Zest" instead of "Zest Johnny" (until now), but I've read of folks who changed his name to "Johnny Zest" using cas.fulleditmode, and for whom the name changed to "Zest Johnny" after the patch. Makes me think that the patch code instructed the game to switch the names rather than to specifically rename the character to "Johnny Zest." I'm not sure why they would code it that way, but there it is.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Aw. Now I wish I hadn't deleted my renamed Johnny Zest in my game ...
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited January 2015
    Well, he always was Johnny Zest in my game, wonder what he is now?

edit, lmao... now he is Zest Johnny. WTG EA and your merry band of Brogrammers. Well done! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

another edit: I have never played him until this very instant, only seen him around. Never changed his name, never even used the cas cheat, ever.
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited January 2015
    MsPhy wrote: »
    I have not read of anyone whose base game had "Johnny Zest" instead of "Zest Johnny" (until now), but I've read of folks who changed his name to "Johnny Zest" using cas.fulleditmode, and for whom the name changed to "Zest Johnny" after the patch. Makes me think that the patch code instructed the game to switch the names rather than to specifically rename the character to "Johnny Zest." I'm not sure why they would code it that way, but there it is.

I have the base game/ TS 4 "Limited Edition": disks
    I didn't play him but as you said, he was "around" so my Sims would interact with him casually and it was always Johnny Zest until last week. He stands out because the name fits that potentially sleazy look he has about him..

But at least he isn't one of the belligerent NPCs I ran across in the game (usually the park, the dude also doubles as a bartender where he isn't so rotten) But anyway, as @MsPhy said, it was most likely an instruction to reverse the dude's name.

Not a real big deal, and I didn't know you could change their names in fulleditmode. I know I can change everything else, (including a "crash diet" if my Sims get a little too much aroundthe hips.. Faster than the gym and I have them eat less now-- anyway I was under the impressions the names had to stay the same.

So I'll drag ol' Zesty in there and turn him back into Johnny.. More importantly, he seems to be the only thing the patch goofed up. But a friend in here said she had read where people were seeing puddles in the streets outside Sims' homes, yet it never rains.

Hmmm the soup thickens..

(And yes, Johnny is all right.. I actually wouldn't mind a few sleazy, greasy Sims sliming around town.. make me feel more at home.)

• Options
    Aw. Now I wish I hadn't deleted my renamed Johnny Zest in my game ...

You deleted Johnny Zest?? He's such a cool cucumber! (well a cool-looking one... Well, maybe he has an agenda..)

gaassssp!

How could you?

• Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I think Johnny Zest is just a renamed Dudley Landgraab. Remember him from Bustin' Out?
  • Options
    I'd have to think back. It's been a while. But I know they do have some in this version who are based on earlier Sims. Well I heard a rumor to that effect. Like Bob Pancakes being a New and Improved version of venerable old Bob Newbie. But that could just be someone's thoughts on the matter.

I only played TS 1 before this. I only have TS 1 base, but "back at school" I played a much-expanded version on my roommate's computer (when I had time)-- That ran out shortly after the Sims I was playing all tried to cook, all started fires, and all died.

I hadn't considered playing TS 3.. until I found out about all the stories people made with it.. My favorite involving MorcuCorp-- though I'm just getting my feet wet in those areas.. to the point where I haven't played much of late! (and then.. I found out what they did to Johnny Zest!)
  • Options
    MamajanaynayMamajanaynay Posts: 1,139 Member
    I just recently discovered Johnny now being Zest Johnny. It really doesn't matter to me how his name is portrayed but we wouldn't want to confuse any NPC's. :p

In regards to the puddles on the streets. They have been there since the game came out, it isn't something that was caused/created by the game pack or the latest patches. :)
  • Options
    Interesting. I never saw any puddles and was going on what a friend in here told me. Maybe I'll see them now that I know they're there.
    As I said, I don't really care about Zest Johnny or Johnny Zest, so long as the patch didn't "fix" anything else that wasn't broken.

There are probably those who never even paid attention to that character until they pointed out in the patch notes that they fixed the dude's name. I do wish they fixed the bartenders instead, though. That's far more annoying than NPC names being out-of-order.
  • Options
    GlitzymegGlitzymeg Posts: 153 Member
    He was Zest Johnny for me, but the update didn't work as he is still Zest Johnny...
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    He is also Zest Johnny on game for me. not a big deal, of course..but now I have the soap bar stuck in my head!
    zestsoap.png
  • Options
    He is also Zest Johnny on game for me. not a big deal, of course..but now I have the soap bar stuck in my head!
    zestsoap.png

I felt exactly the same way! Honest! Now I just have to go out and buy that soap!

(Was it an EA plan all along?) He looks like the perfect pitchman for soap.. that slick, slippery impression, and that perfect blond hair..

@Glitzymeg‌ Now the plot thickens. The patch fixed the reversed names, reversed the correct ones-- yet missed at least one.

I didn't mean for this to become an whole forum subplot but now I'm on a Zest Quest. "Did they or didn't they fix Johnny's zest for life?"

(OK so that was an old slogan for some other product, but it fits..)
  • Options
    BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    That special edition Zest is perfect. At my age, I need soap with roll bars, just in case.
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited January 2015
    What I think was happening wasn't that he was named incorrectly -- provided you didn't play him, he was Johnny Zest. But if you played him, his name for some weird reason would change to Zest Johnny.

It sounds like they didn't fix the actual problem -- maybe it wasn't even diagnosed correctly.
  • Options
    My Sims had interacted with him when they ran into him at clubs, the gym, the park.. whatever but I never played his household (nor do I even know where it is) He was on their phone lists, as everyone they interact with is, including the Grim Reaper (except he isn't on the cell phone contact list that comes up for party invitations.. not that anyone really wants the Grim Reaper at their birthday party or wedding

o_o

He was listed correctly until the patch.
    Oh well, an amusing little diversion this turned out to be, and it really doesn't bug me. Next time I see him I'll drag him into fulledit mode and swap his name back.

Or not..
  • Options
    halfnotes9halfnotes9 Posts: 163 Member
    Well, I think mine was Johnny Zest and after the patch today, January 22, 2015, he's now Zest Johnny. Bummer. :(
  • Options
    I fixed Zesty Johnny myself. He is now named as his creators intended.

Though I was tempted to go outside the box, turn him into a kid and call him Johnny Quest, I settled for scrubbing that dirt off his chin, buffing him up (just a little on the abs, no six-pack or rippling biceps--- Even "my" Sim dudes have to be "just so") . . .and putting a little more "tough-guy" swagger into his walk.

Hey if I have to go into cas.fulleditmode I might as well make it worth my while!

Take that, guru-geeks!

;)
  • Options
    halfnotes9 wrote: »
    Well, I think mine was Johnny Zest and after the patch today, January 22, 2015, he's now Zest Johnny. Bummer. :(

I just saw that "update required" today, 23 JAN.. I didn't play yesterday.. the update? What did it do? Usually they describe patches on the day they are released but I'm not finding any threads about this latest one.

I see above someone's Johnny Zest got reversed... again.. Not mine. I manually fixed him, as I wrote above, and he stayed that way after the patch.

meanwhile I noticed that one household of NPC Sims aged up to "elder" but the rest have not. The "BFF" house, which I haven't even played. They're all old buzzards now.. well they were.. I dialed them back to what they were when I started playing. Being "from" TS 1 I'm not used to Sims coming and going-- without even being played!
  • Options
    @Miki I agree. If I go into the cas.fulleditmode, I do the same thing. I try not to use it unless absolutely necessary. I particularly hate when I've downloaded a sim from the gallery and they marry one of my sims you can't change their last name to the "family" name unless before you play them you use the cas.fulleditmode and change them, then your library will show you created the sim and you will be able to change their last name later if you want to.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    The patch notes were pretty worthless:
    Release Notes for 01/22/2015, Version 1.3.33.1010

Tiny weensy patch today to address a minor configuration issue. You shouldn't notice anything different after the patch.

Posted on behalf of SimGuruGnome, who is sitting under a mushroom somewhere.
    SimGuruBChick

According to one of the modders, the TS4.exe file and some .dll files were changed, but in what way is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    @Miki, I don't know what the update did, there is a new patch list, but it didn't really say anything except configuration issues... ?!?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Oh I've used that line on people our company services. Since I am an I T and not a programmer I likely use it differently than the geek under the mushroom.

What I would want to say is: "Your system is running a bit funky because of several sets of conflicting instructions are sending your computers on digital wild goose chases. They might run like a constipated turtles until you have your in-house programmers fix their mess. I'm not authorized to stick my fingers into their pies.."

Sounds a bit scary to some of the humps we talk to. It's more dignified and professional to say, "I identified some configuration issues which will slow you down but won't do any harm. I'm sending a report to your in-house people, They know your infrastructure best.."
    --Once I clear my throat and issue that proclamation I take on goddess-like qualities in their.. ears.. and they go away happy.

The "go away" part. That's what I get the (semi) big bucks for.

I love my gig, to cook up varying levels of circumlocution (AKA generate nice, creamy bull product) and the masses go "Ooo" and "Ahh, OK!" and go do something else, as can I after they hang up. (like come in here)

Note: Don't worry, I made real sure that none of our clients or my bosses play Sims, especially since I can't change my screen name to a clever disguise like "Trudy" or "Betsy"-- or my personal fave, "Beaulah"

• Options
    @Miki, you are too funny! :D