Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TSR safe to become a member?

I was just wondering is it safe to become a member of TSR. [The sims resource] I've seen so many mixed reviews of that site, personally I've had no problems with it.

It's just that it's become so slow to download things and I can no longer download multiple things at once with that site. ;{ so time consuming.
tumblr_inline_oqdvr8Z3jV1qbd7br_540.gif
⌠ Team Holy Hêll ⌡ [Currently playing TS4]

Comments

• Options
    justbricejustbrice Posts: 356 Member
    Yes, it's safe to become a member of TSR. I never had a problem there. In fact, I go there a lot to download custom content for The Sims 1-3. I know what you mean. It's slow to download things and I can no longer download multiple things at once. I have to go one at a time. I'll do it even if it's time consuming. Also, it's safe to become a member at Mod The Sims.
  • Options
    FluorescentSoapFluorescentSoap Posts: 1,472 Member
    edited December 2014
    justbrice wrote: »
    Yes, it's safe to become a member of TSR. I never had a problem there. In fact, I go there a lot to download custom content for The Sims 1-3. I know what you mean. It's slow to download things and I can no longer download multiple things at once. I have to go one at a time. I'll do it even if it's time consuming. Also, it's safe to become a member at Mod The Sims.

I meant VIP, oops! XD I'm already a member, but yes it's so slow! I used to click download on like 5+ items and wait for the pop up and that was that but now if you try that it seems to override the others and they won't actually download.

I wish TSR was as simple and as quick as MTS2 is. It's so frustrating when there's so many nice things on TSR I want but it takes such a long time to get.

• Options
    Same here. I used to click and download on numerous items. It would take me to the download page, countdown, then take me to another page. I had to go back to the download page again when one download is finish. I agree. I wish TSR was a simple as MTS.
  • Options
    Exactly what I used to do D: ugh, one can hope they do something about the site. Unless they are trying to get people to pay to get faster downloads. I guess I'll stick it through with the slowness and download more from other sites too.
  • Options
    If you want faster downloads, then you can pay to become a VIP member. Otherwise, we just have to make do. I guess so much people are downloading at the same time making it slow.
  • Options
    If you want faster downloads, then you can pay to become a VIP member. Otherwise, we just have to make do. I guess so much people are downloading at the same time making it slow.

It'll teach me to accidentally delete all my cc and mods :L I'm having to start from scratch. the pain. I'm just not sure if it is safe to pay
  • Options
    That's true. After I download something, I put it on a disc now. That way I don't have to go through all that trouble of having to download it again. Also, in case a website decides to close down. I wished I did that earlier when The Sims 1 and 2 websites were still up. At least I still have some of the items for those games as well as The Sims 3.
  • Options
    jennihopejennihope Posts: 321 Member
    Yeah, TSR is safe, but it's so laggy for me. Mod The Sims is a good website to become a member on I have no issues with that at all.
    follow my simblr: https://beautesims.tumblr.com/ <-- still under construction
    origin id: jennihope
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I've been thinking about renewing my VIP status, that ran out in 06.
  • Options

did you have any issues being a vip? this is the thing I am scared to put card details in to a site I've not used before when so many people say bad things about it.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    There are a lot of not so nice things one might say about the way TSR is organized, but it's safe and there is nothing wrong or sketchy with their payment mechanism. One of the reasons the site bogs down so quickly for many of us is that they tend to run a lot of resource heavy Flash adverts in the middle of and off to the side of their content pages (Carl's site does that for me too). If you find a bunch of stuff that you want or just want to read about more and try to open them all in multiple tabs, your browser can get overwhelmed far too easily. I know ad-blockers and Flash-blockers can help mitigate all of that, but I tend not to use those unless I really have to.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    ArielDelphinusArielDelphinus Posts: 628 Member
    I use it all the time. I have a free account and just deal with the advertisements and long download times (which is just silly). I only open one page at a time and I do use an add blocker because of the MAJOR lag the advertisements cause. The only time I have issues is once in awhile TSR seems to block me downloading anything until I turn off my add blocker and clear my cookies and then reopen my browser.
    “Because if you don't stand up for the stuff you don't like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you've already lost.”
    ― Neil Gaiman
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    edited December 2014
    I use it all the time. I have a free account and just deal with the advertisements and long download times (which is just silly). I only open one page at a time and I do use an add blocker because of the MAJOR lag the advertisements cause. The only time I have issues is once in awhile TSR seems to block me downloading anything until I turn off my add blocker and clear my cookies and then reopen my browser.

Same, I have a tracker blocker on as well. The improvement in how the site looks and performs more than makes up for the longer download wait times. I just stick a browser window with TSR loaded onto a secondary monitor and carry on playing my game.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member

I meant VIP, oops! XD I'm already a member, but yes it's so slow! I used to click download on like 5+ items and wait for the pop up and that was that but now if you try that it seems to override the others and they won't actually download.

I wish TSR was as simple and as quick as MTS2 is. It's so frustrating when there's so many nice things on TSR I want but it takes such a long time to get.
    Especially with adblock.

6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited December 2014

did you have any issues being a vip? this is the thing I am scared to put card details in to a site I've not used before when so many people say bad things about it.

I had a paid subscription for a few years and then discontinued it simply because I wasn't using a lot of CC at the time. When they introduced the new VIP price I signed up again. I've never had a problem with them at all. I do use PayPal to pay the subscription because if anything were to go wrong PayPal has fantastic buyer protection.

If you are worried at all open a PayPal account and use your card as your funding source. I have a on line shop and I've used PP for about 10 years.....been great for me.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    nettlejuicenettlejuice Posts: 144 Member
    I used to be a VIP on TSR but as there are plenty of free content elsewhere that I can download faster I did not renew after it expired. I also paid through PayPal which I have used for ten or more years now.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    It seems a bit unfair to use an adblocker on any site that is offering you free content. My philosophy is, if you don't like their ads, and you don't want to pay to get rid of their ads, then don't visit their site. In general, not just sims sites.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    I've been VIP member off and on since sims 2 days never one issue. The nice thing is you can load up for a month deactivate and then load up again months from now when you feel like they have enough content to warrant the expense.

Because I only use them when I do have vip I don't run into any too many ads issues and I like the DL options.

And in my eyes TSR doesn't offer any more risks than any other site so if you don't keep your system updated or have a good anti v installed or are easily duped by marketing requests to "click here" then you will have issues anywhere you seek CC.

Also the issue with CC in general my assumption is many are running CC on systems that simply can't handle the extra demands. it doesn't make the CC bad but it will slow down game performance. And here too the user is in control, either limit or not use CC or have a system designed for gaming

And honest Q over the years many have/will ask this about TSR and most lead with I've read mixed reports now I myself have only seen such threads like this that confirm for the majority its safe - where are you reading such things?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    IngeJones wrote: »
    It seems a bit unfair to use an adblocker on any site that is offering you free content. My philosophy is, if you don't like their ads, and you don't want to pay to get rid of their ads, then don't visit their site. In general, not just sims sites.

Generally I agree with this, but in some cases when a site is so saturated with Ads, it becomes unusable.

A good example on the TSR site itself where I was browsing some stuff then..bam...my screen gets replaced by really loud perfume video, when I closed it the page reloaded and I lost the place where I was browsing. I let it go the first time, but when it happened several times, then enough was enough...blocked.

I have to add I didn't blanket block the entire site, but rather that particular intrusive script.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    harobed7756harobed7756 Posts: 83 Member
    I recently signed up for a six-month TSR VIP membership and I wish I'd done it sooner. For the most part I only encountered 10 second wait times with an ad blocker, but they've stretched out to a minute now. Even if that weren't the case, I agree that they're entitled to compensation for the content. The VIP interface is nice and I'm happy to pay the small amount they ask for it.

As for sketchy content, I don't worry about it at TSR. I've never had a problem with hundreds of downloads. In fact, I recently discovered that TSR does some kind of screening on uploads. A post turned up on my Tumblr complaining that TSR had rejected a blogger's submission because the shading was off. TSR had used some technical language to describe the fault and the blogger needed help understanding it. So I guess someone at TSR is previewing and rejecting suboptimal content before we can download it.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I've never had any issues with regards to my personal information being compromised from TSR. This time around, though, I used PayPal for an extra layer of security.
  • Options
    HIstoricgalHIstoricgal Posts: 567 Member
    There is nothing wrong at all with TSR! I have been a member there since Sims 1 and it is safer than most on line sights. Have never had any problem with their CC. There were(are) some people who started rumors, but I have never found them to be true. (Jealousy or one disgruntled person can cause for bad reviews).
  • Options
    Thank you for all the answers *-* I completly lost this thread hence the no replies. I'm tempted to become a member for this download basket.

I agree on the ad block issues I had to turn mine off, I'm a little scared of the ads that pop up randomly.
  • Options
    I really like what the site is offering and they do seem like they have a genuine passion for the game, but unfortunately my game budget cannot stand adding yet another subscription.

I did signup as a member, but of course, I still got all the ads. I tried for a while, but I gave up and turned my ad blocker back on. There was one that kept popping up from the bottom, obscuring everything - I think I accidently clicked it and then got a loud movie preview blasting over my calm classical :(

Other ads (video with full sound) would suddenly start playing in some tab I had open somewhere.

I usually always make it a rule to allow ads, not trackers, on sites that I support, but it got to the point where the site was simply unusable, and a little stressful, IMO.

Just a little more sensitivity with the ad placement on the UI would go a long way to helping I reckon. It is a whopping big site with some truly fantastic stuff on it.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    I really like what the site is offering and they do seem like they have a genuine passion for the game, but unfortunately my game budget cannot stand adding yet another subscription.

I did signup as a member, but of course, I still got all the ads. I tried for a while, but I gave up and turned my ad blocker back on. There was one that kept popping up from the bottom, obscuring everything - I think I accidently clicked it and then got a loud movie preview blasting over my calm classical :(

Other ads (video with full sound) would suddenly start playing in some tab I had open somewhere.

I usually always make it a rule to allow ads, not trackers, on sites that I support, but it got to the point where the site was simply unusable, and a little stressful, IMO.

Just a little more sensitivity with the ad placement on the UI would go a long way to helping I reckon. It is a whopping big site with some truly fantastic stuff on it.

I used to subscribe to Habbo and IMVU as a kid, subscriptions get so out of hand! I used to spend £50 on those games x.x it's wise not to get another subscription yet.

Ah, yes those are the ones. especially when you've got speakers on loud. scares the life out of me. Definitely, it gets very annoying when you try to click the download button and those adverts near the button start coming over the screen like no go away! lemme download this.

It does have a lot of great content, especially clutter and decor and never seems to have dead links like many sites for ts2 and older have. :{ I just don't understand the whole stigma around the site and viruses. I've never had issues, as you say just with those ridiculously overpowering adverts.