Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to LEAVE your furniture in your house when you move?

SimSiren3SimSiren3 Posts: 301 Member
I want to move my Sim family out of their house, but leave the furniture in it just as it is placed, so that another family can move in and use the house furnished. If I do NOT check the "sell all furniture" option, will the furniture remain in the house just as I placed it?

Generally, I'm finding the moving household thing to be NOT intuitive.

I moved a family in with the Landgraabs and tried to move Geoffrey into the old, smaller house so I could preserve the old house just as it was. But when I completed the move, Geoffrey had disappeared off the map entirely. Which I'm only assuming meant I forgot to uncheck "Sell all furniture," so the furniture in the old house disappeared, so he could not live there.

If I move an entire family out of a house does it automatically become unfurnished, or only if I check "sell all furniture"?

Can anyone clear up my confusion on this?

Comments

• Options
    katoregamakatoregama Posts: 1,129 Member
    Sell All Furnishings means you're not taking anything with you. It will stay in place for the next family. Because you are forfeiting all of your stuff you get cash instead to pay for your new home.
    Kato, Kato, rhymes with tomato.
    Players: Check out my Sims 4 Room Challenge.
    Devs & Players: Check out my Archaeology Career Idea
  • Options
    katoregama wrote: »
    Sell All Furnishings means you're not taking anything with you. It will stay in place for the next family. Because you are forfeiting all of your stuff you get cash instead to pay for your new home.

See, this is so confusing to me, because to me "sell all furnishings" means you're vaporizing them for the cash (what usually happens in the sims when you sell things), not leaving them. But I'll take your word for it and give it a try :)
  • Options
    KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    Think of it as selling your old house fully furnished instead of taking your stuff with you.
  • Options
    Jimboola11Jimboola11 Posts: 1,850 Member
    There need to be more options for this. I want my young sims who leave the nest to move out with a set amount from the family and I want them to take what they want from the house (personal effects etc). But This does not seem to be an option...which is kinda sad.
  • Options
    Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    Jimboola11 wrote: »
    There need to be more options for this. I want my young sims who leave the nest to move out with a set amount from the family and I want them to take what they want from the house (personal effects etc). But This does not seem to be an option...which is kinda sad.

This would be great! Love your idea.
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    I haven't done any moving yet, but I'm about to in my game soon. Does moving items to the family inventory do any good? I was hoping I could move the things I want to keep to family inventory, then use 'sell all furnishings' to leave the rest of the stuff in the house. Anyone know if that works, or does it still sell off everything in the family inventory too?
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    Most items can be put into your family inventory and they'll move with you. So if you want to keep a particular bed or couch, whatever, you should be able to put it in the family inventory then sell the rest. Those large or household items won't go into a personal inventory, though. So if you're moving out just one Sim, they can't take those things with them.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick answer, Katnap! Hmm. No way to take a few items (non-personal inventory items) when only moving part of the family out though.

Sounds like what we need is something along the lines of a pop-up, when moving out just part of the family, that would show the family inventory and let us select specific items from it to take along in the move.
  • Options
    NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member
    edited October 2014

What about if you put the selected items into their inventory?

What I have a problem with is moving my YA sims out into a house of their own (and NOT in with some other random household, but a new empty house that is already in world), leaving their parents back at the home place. How do you do that?
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    Naydi wrote: »

What about if you put the selected items into their inventory?

What I have a problem with is moving my YA sims out into a house of their own (and NOT in with some other random household, but a new empty house that is already in world), leaving their parents back at the home place. How do you do that?

Go out to Map view & Manage Households. You can move out your YA sim & leave their parents.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    But how do I get them to be able to buy a house on their own with their 20,000 simoleons, if they even GET that money? Manage households only gives me the option to move in with some other household.
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Question regarding this topic, if I move to a new house can I take all my upgrades items with me? I don't want to redo all the upgrades but I needa bigger house for my growing sim family.
  • Options
    @hmae123 -- From what's been said, I believe you can put all your upgraded items into the family inventory (in build/buy mode) and they will go with you when you move. (Use 'Sell all furnishings' to leave the other stuff behind, if you want to.) BUT, that only works if you move the whole family. Apparently there's no way to do so if just moving out part of the family. (It will take any items in personal inventory, but furniture/appliances can't be put there.)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    But how do I get them to be able to buy a house on their own with their 20,000 simoleons, if they even GET that money? Manage households only gives me the option to move in with some other household.

Click the household you want to manage, then choose Transfer Sims Between Households. Under that menu, choose Unplayed tab, then click the Create New Household button at the top. Click on the sim you're moving out & transfer them over to the Unplayed column, they'll get $20k. From there, you can select them from the unplayed household list & move them onto their own lot. :)

Edit - for clarity
  • Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    [quote="Ayradyss;12820417"]@hmae123 -- From what's been said, I believe you can put all your upgraded items into the family inventory (in build/buy mode) and they will go with you when you move. (Use 'Sell all furnishings' to leave the other stuff behind, if you want to.) BUT, that only works if you move the whole family. Apparently there's no way to do so if just moving out part of the family. (It will take any items in personal inventory, but furniture/appliances can't be put there.)[/quote]

Thanks! I night try that today, if I don't try making the house their currently in bigger myself. I love what I did with the kitchen and am going to have a hard time moving them as it is. Lol.
  • Options
    hmae123 wrote: »
    Thanks! I night try that today, if I don't try making the house their currently in bigger myself. I love what I did with the kitchen and am going to have a hard time moving them as it is. Lol.

You can save your kitchen as a Styled Room in Build Mode, upload it to your library, so you can use it in subsequent builds/lots

• Options

Click the household you want to manage, then choose Transfer Sims Between Households. Under that menu, choose Unplayed tab, then click the Create New Household button at the top. Click on the sim you're moving out & transfer them over to the Unplayed column, they'll get $20k. From there, you can select them from the unplayed household list & move them onto their own lot. :)

Edit - for clarity

Thank you!!! You rock!
  • Options

Edit - for clarity

Thank you!!! You rock!

You're welcome. :)
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    Selling the furniture leaves the house fully furnished for the next family.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    This is so frustrating I agree. Last time I moved my sims I plunked their house in my library so I would not have to redecorate it again. (just in case it was empty) Turns out it was empty so I was glad I did. Still trying to get a handle on this.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    I've been reading a lot of threads that say that moving furniture into your household inventory doesn't bring it with you. I don't know if this is a bug or a design flaw.
  • Options
    AnimaagAnimaag Posts: 319 Member
    edited October 2014
    I'm gonna test it out @SimSiren3

Edit: All my inventory items transferred successfully.
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    This has been a very interesting thread, thank you simmers.
  • Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    Selling the furniture leaves the house fully furnished for the next family.

Did that change in a patch? Last I tried, selling furniture left a house barren, not selling it left the family inventory cluttered.
  • Options
    mooredt21mooredt21 Posts: 1,105 Member

This is a great idea. I have wanted the same thing. I think it's a travesty that when a Sim family becomes rich their offspring cannot take any portion of the wealth with them. I would love more options.
    <----LOQUACIOUS LURKER HERE

***Please bring back Sims 2 style storytelling features and make them publishable.***