Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• Options
    lyssanlyssan Posts: 53 Member
    @LacedMetal It fit in a budget, but it is very bare, way more empty than I would have liked. Interiors I can just get over, assuming that whoever lives there is a... minimalist, but the landscaping looks dreadful. I am not sure what I am going to do about it yet :)

@misscbong Victorian houses are so tiny in London, yet I somehow fail to replicate that squeeze too, haha. I never knew it was such a skill to fit all 4 bedrooms into a size of one tops! Although IRL that may be a bit more flexible than in Sims :)
  • Options
    Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,923 Member
    edited February 2017
    HELP! Please! I can not for the life of me get Spandrels to appear or work and the other decorative elements are showing up monster size. I have been working on this problem for many hours and even with instructions on Simsvip.com, nothing seems to work for me. I see them all over other people's creations and I just can not get them! Any advise would be gratefully received. :' [img][/img]nwejhi.jpg [img][/img]2s9psgl.jpg The oversized work bench and chess setup just came out of nowhere when I turned on build mode. This is all making me kind of crazy!

Sorry- I re-posted this as a new discussion in the Builders category.

Do you want the spandrel in the gap at the front of the house @FoundMarbles?? In that case, you need to add a wall there, then place the spandrel that you want. And if you want the curly bits at the side, you'll need columns at the ends as well. As for the size of the furniture, have you been holding down the ']' key with 'bb.moveobjects' on? If so, as @golden_glow suggested, holding down the '[' key while the item is selected should help with that.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • Options
    BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    ATTENTION EXPERT ENTRANTS #62 ZERO DOXY

Your results are now available here.

GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    ATTENTION ESTABLISHED ENTRANTS FOR #62 ZERO DOXY

Your results are now available here.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    misscbongmisscbong Posts: 736 Member
    CHALLENGE #: 63 - Ley Lines
    FORUM ID: misscbong
    ORIGIN ID: misscbong
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Wardway Victorian
    LOT COST: 2,000
    BUILD COST: 62,131
    TOTAL COST: 64,131
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Slideshow

ENTRY DETAILS:
    Wardway Victorian is a home that is filled with charm, antique decor and bedrooms galore! Though it is decorated and designed with a grandeur sense of style, it all fits within a comfortable family budget.

Boasting four bedrooms, one and a half bathrooms, this home is ideal for a growing family who wants space and comfort. The main floor is filled with period details, from the custom molding and woodwork, down to the gorgeous fetailed floors thoughout. Each room is filled with character, but also provides modern comfort.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

bIXb92l.png
  • Options
    kezflakekezflake Posts: 124 Member
    FORUM ID: Kezflake
    ORIGIN ID: Elsing2000
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Thornfield
    LOT COST: 62,881
    BUILD COST: 2000
    TOTAL COST: 64,881
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: imgur.com/gallery/mYMcb
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    NK6cNR8.pngIqMOJuK.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    That is a beautiful victorian lot @misscbong I too wanted to have iron railings around the garden but had to let this one go to stick to the budget so well done for getting them in.

@BuildnShare I shall be taking in the feedback from the last challenge and adding a dresser. Thankfully I somehow have more budget left than I had expected. I hope I can fix that roof line too at the same time.
    Post edited by kezflake on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    HELP! Please! I can not for the life of me get Spandrels to appear or work and the other decorative elements are showing up monster size. I have been working on this problem for many hours and even with instructions on Simsvip.com, nothing seems to work for me. I see them all over other people's creations and I just can not get them! Any advise would be gratefully received. :' [img][/img]nwejhi.jpg [img][/img]2s9psgl.jpg The oversized work bench and chess setup just came out of nowhere when I turned on build mode. This is all making me kind of crazy!

Sorry- I re-posted this as a new discussion in the Builders category.
    @FoundMarbles When you say the other decorative items are showing up monster size I assume you're meaning the friezes as this does look out of proportion to me. I felt the same until I got used to them and found that it's a case of experimenting to find the right size. What can help is making the walls taller (click on a wall - then try clicking on what looks like phone battery bars for the three sizes), using exterior trims and limiting friezes to the top floor as it meets the roof. Exterior trim can be a bit more proportional for lower floors and I have even used them in place of the friezes for top floors before now. The Exterior Trims menu is grouped with the friezes.

Sometimes adding a roof and all the elements can help when trying to work out if it is the right kind of frieze height. it just comes down to scale and perspective. If you get chance take a look at base game lots to see how maxis built it and it will give you an idea of the use cases.

The bench and the other furniture is a bit random, how odd. If you can then delete them, otherwise you may have to move your lot elsewhere or even create a new game and place it as the way they are placed off the lot makes it look like it could be there because of a bug.

Sorry, I'm not sure what the problem is with the Spandrels. Can you give more info and I will try.

Good luck
    Post edited by kezflake on
  • Options
    @misscbong and @kezflake - those are both amazing entries!
  • Options
    masajomasajo Posts: 6,029 Member
    Fantastic builds on such a low budget @misscbong and @kezflake this really is a tough challenge :)
    uzE2H1V.jpg
  • Options
    @misscbong The build looks so dainty! How did you fit all 4 bedrooms in there? :)
    @kezflake Really jealous of your ivy, I was trying so hard to keep enough money for it and failed miserably. The level of detail, especially with roofing, is so impressive for the budget of this challenge!
  • Options
    LacedMetalLacedMetal Posts: 75 Member
    @kezflake This is such a stately build. It certainly works for a family that's in politics. The dark colored bricks and black shingles bring out the rose tint to the brick siding. All I would change would be to add roof edging in black or grey to ease the transition between siding and roof. It's impressive that you were able to fit the pond beside the build. The scraggly bushes along the pond really add a spook factor to this look. The split level patio makes my green heart sing, and the pathway is an excellent touch to bring the outside as part of the living space. :heart:

@misscbong The roofing on this is superb! I love how the exterior flows into the style of the interior, it makes the whole house look cohesive. It's impressive how well decorated the interior is considering the tight budget. You make excellent use of the space provided inside the house. It's got resell value for sure, and the charm is carried throughout. I could almost see this one being haunted by a family ghost, many generations past our current guests. Love this! :heart:

I went back to my first build, because I like the structure of the exterior more than any of the others I've fussed with. I'm still not satisfied with how the large size is eating into the decorating budget. Back to the drawing board....

• Options
    FORUM ID: lyssan
    ORIGIN ID: bunniesaremagic
    LEVEL: Starting Out
    LOT: Ley Lines Challenge
    LOT COST: 2,500
    BUILD COST: 62,454
    TOTAL COST: 64,954
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Slideshow
    ENTRY DETAILS: A reasonable sized house for a family of 8 on a tight budget. Includes 4 bedroom and two bathrooms, a spacious living room, terrace with a designated gardening area, a swimming pond, an empty basement and a kitchen and dining room area. It holds plenty of potential for future expansion, and could definitely transform into a wonderful mansion one day!

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yup
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

IM2oI1E.jpg
  • Options
    Awesome build @lyssan!!
  • Options
    @lyssan - great job! I love how all of the rooms have such unique shapes, and angled walls. And your use of room dividers in the kids rooms is so smart! I wish I had thought of it!
  • Options
    @kezflake - HOW? How did you manage to stay under budget? Your house looks huge! Wow, so impressed! The exterior really is amazing! Your inside is so well detailed, and the layout is so smart. Love it!
  • Options
    WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Hey i got a question, how do you place the basement stairs underneath the stairs up to the second floor?

Btw great houses everyone! Love them all:D hoping to get mine done tonight and take pictures tomorrow haha
  • Options
    LacedMetalLacedMetal Posts: 75 Member
    @lyssan Lovely house! I love that spacious front porch. Clever use of the dividers, too. Very light and airy.

@WiggleyTuff Place the above stairs, delete the auto-generated support with the hammer, then place the other stairs under it. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    @misscbong , @kezflake and @lyssan , your houses all look fantastic! :smiley: I am so impressed you all managed to create such stunning homes within the budget!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @LacedMetal No, it isnt working for me at all o.o keep saying its interfering with the walls but its not. I guess its either an annoying bug or it simply doesnt work for me
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    And the stairs arent the same height as the basement walls... guess i cant do this challenge.. cant place the stairs anywhere at all
  • Options
    folalafolala Posts: 307 Member
    edited February 2017
    @WiggleyTuff If you use the stairs that looks like a ladder & has no side walls, add your basement stairs underneath, then replace (without deleting) the upper stairs it should work. Good luck with it, hope it works out.

Wow @misscbong @kezflake and @lyssan gorgeous homes!
  • Options
    Completely off topic, but can I just say, I'm watching the Foo Fighters play live about 10 miles from where I am currently sat :open_mouth:
  • Options
    onehummingbirdonehummingbird Posts: 123 Member
    Hi everyone, newbie here! I love building more than actually playing the Sims, so I look forward to this group. :smile:

I created a house for the challenge but can't add it because I'm new to the forums and can't post links yet. I'm going to read up on how to get points and hopefully I'll be a full member by next Wednesday... Unless anyone knows a way around this?? Any help is appreciated!
  • Options
    onehummingbirdonehummingbird Posts: 123 Member
    @misscbong & @kezflake, fantastic builds! What lot did you place on?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top