Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Worth it?

I can get University Life for half price and I'm thinking about getting it. I didn't buy it when it just came out because it was too expensive and I barely have time to play, so it wasn't worth the money to me.

Now that it's half price, I would like to know if the game is worth it.

What do you guys think of the game? What do you love/hate about it?
tumblr_nabfikC3DM1snecxgo2_400.gif

Comments

• Options
    WaxingCrescent05WaxingCrescent05 Posts: 577 Member
    edited July 2013
    Personally I'd say it's worth it. Going to university is fun and adds a segment and a bit of reality to your Sims' lives. Sure it gets boring if you do it with every Sim, so it's one of those things that you do every once in a while, but the game's still got a lot of content other than just going to University. There's a lot of simply awesome meme-internet based content and references like showing Sims cat videos and the University llama doing the Gangnam Style dance, and there's also a ton of new CAS Buy Mode options as well as a new smart phone and all sorts of other stuff. University was a popular TS2 EP so it makes sense that the popularity would carry over to TS3. Don't get it because everyone else has it, though, that's just something to consider.

Overall, it really depends on what you want out of your specific game.
    Follow my Simblr at FauntleroySims, or my Twitter @fauntleroysims! I'm kind of a noob to social media rn XD
    Origin ID: Eve0053
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit - Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz (8 CPUs) - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Dedicated VRAM - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
  • Options
    TabithaRavenwoodTabithaRavenwood Posts: 771 Member
    edited July 2013
    Most definitely!
    The amount of objects,lots, interactions and clothing options you receive with this expansion make the purchase worth it.
  • Options
    vke90vke90 Posts: 352 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I'll give my feedback in a long winded anecdote of the family I play.

I started the "Rollins" family. The father, Ash, is a hardworking military man, and the mom, Jade, is an aspiring singer. They started out with a child, Ava, an artsy rebel, and a toddler, Ethan, who grew into the typical sci fi nerd. As they grew up, they added Jason to the family, a hybrid of his two siblings. At the end of high school, Ava met Orion (my avatar), a homeless but ambitious grocery store clerk who the family took in during the holidays.

Ava and Orion went off to University together and graduated at the same time. The next term, Ethan matriculated. When Ethan was a junior, Jason began his studies.

When I first started playing, the town was just like any other town. It stayed that way for the first term. Upon the second term, I noticed there was no rollover with the students. The students graduated and just came back for a new degree. I took it into my own hands and started watching the graduation, recording their names as they walked. As soon as the semester was over, and my sims went home, I went into edit town. I evicted all the dorms, fraternity, and sorority houses. I split households to isolate the graduates, who I then deleted (what use are they to me at that point). If there is one I really liked, I might move a copy of them into my actual town. I then would shuffle the dorms. I would go into create-a-household and create roughly as many new sims as there were graduates, and I would add them to fill up the dorms. After a few terms, I had to start going into residential buildings as well.

For me, this extremely tedious method made it enjoyable for me. It took much longer to get stale (it admittedly has gotten a little stale...Ava and Orion are much more interesting...they're married with a child and working in film). I mix it up by constantly renovating the campus.

I feel like if you don't want to put in the extra work, and you're ok with the forever unchanging campus (Ava and Orion's son, Jared, would have grown up and went to college with the same people his parents...and their classmates will not have aged), it is well worth it. If you don't want to put in the extra work, and you mind the rollover, maybe still worth it if you don't plan on sending many sims through. If you're willing to do the extra work, I think it's worth it in any case.

And it's worth noting that the game will randomly select only a handful of your custom characters to by default be students. I had to use NRaas to make the rest of the town enroll. Otherwise, they'll be there six or seven terms as well.
  • Options
    amyoleyamyoley Posts: 5 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I wondered about it myself, but I treated myself to it about a week or so after it came out. It is most certainly worth it IF you actually play and don't spend as much time building. The social aspects added are AWESOME, the career advantages are worth it. I sent Belle to university for science and wow she wasn't even a full blown adult by the time she hit mad scientist :twisted: The skill builders are pretty cool for business, science and street art. I'd say go for it, it's probably my favourite expansion.
  • Options
    tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited July 2013
    I'm trying to decide too, based on the sale, time..etc.

I'm not looking so much for university life, but how it enhances a regular town, what it adds to the basic sims life.

All our EPs add more than just one focus or bonus thing and I just never found out what those things were for UNIV.

If someone can point me to where I can find out...I'd appreciate it, THANKS! :)
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    edited July 2013
    I'm trying to decide too, based on the sale, time..etc.

I'm not looking so much for university life, but how it enhances a regular town, what it adds to the basic sims life.

All our EPs add more than just one focus or bonus thing and I just never found out what those things were for UNIV.

If someone can point me to where I can find out...I'd appreciate it, THANKS! :)

TCO! Hi honey! Long time no see! :D

Yeah, going to university gets boring after the first couple of semesters, but the social groups, rebel(artists), jocks(athletic) and nerds(science) can be helpful in regular sims' lives. As soon as your sim gets to the top of a group, the sim can pick an extra trait, very nice.

Don't be a stranger honey!

Edit to add, Carl's Guide will probably cover UL better than anyone. :wink:
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited July 2013
    Carl's...that's a great idea! : ) I do use that as a gameplay guide, but u know..just looking stuff up so I wouldn't have thought of it for this. :)

I went back to TS2 for a bit, missed OFB a LOT, but back with IP :)

*huggles* Hope you're enjoying ur game still :)

I'd love to hear about ANYTHING you'd like to share! :)
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• Options
    vke90vke90 Posts: 352 New Member
    edited July 2013
    amyoley wrote:
    I wondered about it myself, but I treated myself to it about a week or so after it came out. It is most certainly worth it IF you actually play and don't spend as much time building. The social aspects added are AWESOME, the career advantages are worth it. I sent Belle to university for science and wow she wasn't even a full blown adult by the time she hit mad scientist :twisted: The skill builders are pretty cool for business, science and street art. I'd say go for it, it's probably my favourite expansion.

I agree with this. If you're focused on your sim (as most people are), it's great as is. For me, when I started playing, I found it more fun to play de facto admissions counselor and development supervisor. Either way you play, I think you'll get a great time out of the game.
  • Options
    SimonSimpsonSimonSimpson Posts: 1,223 Member
    edited July 2013
    I'd say "worth it", even if just for a pretty good way to start off your Sims. I started a new couple and played them through Uni. They left with descent skills, some nice reward points, an extra trait, $100k family funds and a nice start into their careers.