Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Shared Custody of Child Sims

I hate that when a couple who is not living together in the sims has a baby, the mother automatically gets custody. The father may show up at the hospital but then disappears and will only have a relationship with the child if the player actively pursues one. I would love to have an option to choose which parent has custody or maybe even split custody where the child will go to the other parent's house automatically one night a week or something for a visit, starting from the infant stage. There could also be options to mail child support or gifts to the child or an interaction from either the child or custodial parent to the non-custodial parent "accuse of being a deadbeat" if that parent did not interact with his or her child.

I also think it would be more interesting if the pregnant female sim had an option to tell the male sim that he was going to be a father. I always add this to my own games by having my pregnant sim "announce pregnancy" to the father who always congratulates her, but I would love to see the unsuspecting father pass out or something.

Comments

• Options
    HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    edited May 2013
    I never knew that happened. Only time I got pregnant in game when they weren't living together was alien and you had the choice to keep or not.
  • Options
    chantera89chantera89 Posts: 359 Member
    edited May 2013
    Yes. I would like a system that caters to this. Maybe an option at city hall to determine days and/or nights spent with their child. I hate when I have a sim who has a child and the relationship with mom isn't the best and when he goes to visit she doesn't come to the door :shock:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited May 2013
    chantera89 wrote:
    Yes. I would like a system that caters to this. Maybe an option at city hall to determine days and/or nights spent with their child. I hate when I have a sim who has a child and they the relationship with mom isn't the best and when he goes to visit she doesn't come to the door :shock:

#DEAD

I can't stop laughing...
    14941955179_f9373f55cd_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Blythelyre wrote:
    chantera89 wrote:
    Yes. I would like a system that caters to this. Maybe an option at city hall to determine days and/or nights spent with their child. I hate when I have a sim who has a child and they the relationship with mom isn't the best and when he goes to visit she doesn't come to the door :shock:

#DEAD

I can't stop laughing...

Lol he only sees his daughter when he crashes parties of the moms lol otherwise she walks around the house doing stuff, everything but opening the door!!!
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited May 2013
    Blythelyre wrote:
    chantera89 wrote:

#DEAD

I can't stop laughing...

:lol:
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    edited May 2013
    this is too much... its a game not a custody battle
  • Options
    edited May 2013

You wouldn't need to use the feature. :lol:
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013

nope and no man on man action or woman on woman action either. its a teen based game not a brothel for everything goes good grief!
  • Options
    Cali_Pier92Cali_Pier92 Posts: 1,671 Member
    edited May 2013

nope and no man on man action or woman on woman action either. its a teen based game not a brothel for everything goes good grief!
    OMG! :lol: That sweetface is not looking so sweet now is it, Brooke?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Keep it on topic please. :wink: you can already create same sex couples in the game so your argument basically goes nowhere.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013

OMG! :lol: That sweetface is not looking so sweet now is it, Brooke?

:lol:
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Keep it on topic please. :wink: you can already create same sex couples in the game so your argument basically goes nowhere.
    so do that make your game the way you want to play it don't force that on innocent kids. they will be asking their parent why is this guy kissing the other guy mom? its not a good ideal for a sims game that is a teen rating
  • Options
    neilshaw1980neilshaw1980 Posts: 210 New Member
    edited May 2013

so do that make your game the way you want to play it don't force that on innocent kids. they will be asking their parent why is this guy kissing the other guy mom? its not a good ideal for a sims game that is a teen rating

Erm by the time kids are teens they should already know about same sex relationships so shouldn't need to ask mum, but even if they did there shouldn't be an issue answering it with a simple "because they love each other"

• Options
    x80proofx80proof Posts: 420 Member
    edited May 2013
    I love the ideal. Sometimes I send the kids to their fathers on weekends.
  • Options
    horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited May 2013
    I would love the idea of shared custody too :D .
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • Options
    KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited May 2013
    I like the idea of shared custody as well, or even the father getting primary custody. In the US, that's becoming more common.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited May 2013
    Muchachona wrote:
    I hate that when a couple who is not living together in the sims has a baby, the mother automatically gets custody. The father may show up at the hospital but then disappears and will only have a relationship with the child if the player actively pursues one. I would love to have an option to choose which parent has custody or maybe even split custody where the child will go to the other parent's house automatically one night a week or something for a visit, starting from the infant stage. There could also be options to mail child support or gifts to the child or an interaction from either the child or custodial parent to the non-custodial parent "accuse of being a deadbeat" if that parent did not interact with his or her child.

I also think it would be more interesting if the pregnant female sim had an option to tell the male sim that he was going to be a father. I always add this to my own games by having my pregnant sim "announce pregnancy" to the father who always congratulates her, but I would love to see the unsuspecting father pass out or something.

LOL, this idea is just like real life! I spent 10 years working in family court where this kind of arrangement was talked about. Some judges thought it was a good idea for the child, others thought it was too disruptive *shrugs*

I think this is an idea that should be better left to the player to arrange with what available interactions the game offers. I think for many families in this day and age, this kind of "play" will open many deep wounds that are better left outside of this game.

I hope I didn't offend you, I certainly did not intend any offense. It is a very touchy subject for far too many. A needless reminder of the loss of their family unit in real life.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited May 2013
    I agree claire Ursine comes to mind considering her and jared frio havea kid togethe. I've made jared and claire be friends so that jared can drive to the house and play with his daughter and stuff but i wish the daughter could spend time at her dads too !
  • Options
    SylinaBSylinaB Posts: 111 Member
    edited May 2013

I just have to say I love your siggy. Black Sweat is my favorite video :)

Back on topic though, I think this is a pretty good idea. I think it will be better if we are allowed the choice to either play this way or not, since apparently some people are not comfortable with this type of game play. I'm all for it!
  • Options
    tia300tia300 Posts: 84 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Muchachona wrote:

Such a great idea!
    I hate the fathers acting like strangers, fair enough the child not knowing who they are but they father would.
  • Options
    Spklvr12Spklvr12 Posts: 252 Member
    edited May 2013
    Maybe a bit too much for a Teen game in some people's opinion (not mine, most children know how divorce work at age 5 these days), but I would at least want both parent to take more initative to care for their child. Maybe you could control your child to sleep at their other parent's house and get gifts and such.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes it is a touchy subject but I don't think it has to turn in the Maury show. It would be nice just to have the option. I wouldn't mind being able to send my kid/kids off with dad or grandma and grandpa for the weekend.

This also reminds me I would also like for more announce pregnancy reactions. It should vary from sim to sim as well as how high or low the relationship is or the reactions could vary, throwing a surprise reaction each time, I just want more than that "thumbs up, pat on the back ".
  • Options
    drowningmermaiddrowningmermaid Posts: 365 New Member
    edited May 2013
    There should be a sleepover at dads/grandmas/Aunties/etc option so kids can stay with other family members anytime.

There should be adopt out child options and artificially inseminated (at hospital) options for single and lesbian sims.
  • Options
    Adriana62Adriana62 Posts: 22 New Member
    edited May 2013
    We should at least be able to pick which sim gets custody!

(homophobic sweetface44 should leave :P)
  • Options
    SimsfreakmaniacSimsfreakmaniac Posts: 140 Member
    edited May 2013
    An option to spend the night/weekend for kids would be great. It could be limited to family relationships recognized in the game (Parents, Grandparents, Aunts/Uncles, Adult siblings) Once an option like this is available they wouldn't necessary have to go into creating a detailed custody arrangement.

Those who want to use this option can just pretend that it's an official custody arrangement and those who don't want a custody arrangement can use it as a bonding aspect for different family members (or not use it at all :wink: )