Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Guide - How to create Custom Patterns - updated

SimsprocfunSimsprocfun Posts: 1,499 Member
Sims 3 Tutorials for custom patterns are already up! Creators have worked really hard to publish those. In this guide are links to the free opened tutorials how to create own custom patterns. Linked sites are well known and free. I believe you are already registered there.
The aim of this guide is to split all tutorials in one thread for better understanding and quick access to these.

What you need to create own custom patterns:

1. Photoshop or The Gimp to raster image.

2. Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape or similar program to paint image.

3. DDS utilities. Get here.

4. Patterns maker program:
4.1. Sims 3 Workshop. This program will make you only .Sims3Pack file.
4.2 Pattern Packager. This program does .package file and Sims 3 pack. You are able to manage your patterns by this way and delete them easily if they are not succeed.
As well you are able to upload it on Exchange too as .Sims3Pack.

5. Tutorial how to create patterns actually.
5.1. Youtube Tutorial by Murano:

Another tutorial for beginners from Murano:
Pattern Plugin Manual
How to create a RGBA Stencil Mask and use DDS plugin.
6. Tutorial with pictures how to create custom patterns for those who just yet started (4 channels): TS3 Patterns Tutorial

TSR provides whole package of tutorials:

Workshop Guides

5.2. Splitting patterns into channels using Photoshop by JaneSamborski.
Separating patterns without vectors
5.3. Creating Masks and some tips for Photoshop by MetalKat0642
A Fast Way to Make Patterns for The Sims 3
5.4. Creating in In Paint Shop Pro 9 by Misty_2004
TUTORIAL: Four-Color Patterns In Paint Shop Pro 9~Graphic Intensive!
5.5. Creating Clothing with Paint.NET by daluved1
Tutorial: Creating Clothing Stencils [Calling all Paint.NET users]

That's all what you need! For more information please visit Wiki.

Some important notes:
- If you upload your custom patterns as .package file in game they will not seen as custom content (plumbbob, red star or folder icon). They look like default textures.
- If you upload custom patterns as .Sims3Pack in game they will appear with plumbbob icon or with red star.
- Recolored objects with custom patterns uploaded as .Sims3Pack contain this pattern as well. Textures will appear with red star in the game.

Good luck! Happy creating and sharing!

Comments

• Options
    czsworldczsworld Posts: 125 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Wow thanks! I agree sticky it up.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    czsworld wrote:
    Wow thanks! I agree sticky it up.
    Thank you for your reply. Hopefully those who wants to create custom patterns will find this guide useful :)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Does it matter if you use photoshop or gimp or could I use another software?
  • Options
    TwitchesTwitches Posts: 221 New Member
    edited July 2009
    You need to change the info on Delphys pattern packager, it DOES make sim3packs.

And side note: ONLY sim3packs allow for the workaround of sharing patterns via objects on The Exchange.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So if you download a custom item from the exchange, you are also DLing the pattern?
    Twitches wrote:
    You need to change the info on Delphys pattern packager, it DOES make sim3packs.

And side note: ONLY sim3packs allow for the workaround of sharing patterns via objects on The Exchange.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Twitches wrote:

Thank you so much for correction. I had still his old version lol :D

To czsworld: you can use another software where you able to separate images on channels RGB and Alpha and then save it as DDS.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    czsworld wrote:
    So if you download a custom item from the exchange, you are also DLing the pattern?

Yes they will appear in your game.
  • Options
    ParsimoniouskateParsimoniouskate Posts: 54 New Member
    edited July 2009
    But if your patterns are not success you cannot uninstall or delete them from your game.

Yes you can. Just delete them with the launcher.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    czsworld wrote:
    Twitches wrote:

only if it was uploaded with the pattern saved as a sim3pack
    an object uploaded with a pattern saved as a package file will create those wonderful blank spaces staring at you with their pink asterisks :?
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    But if your patterns are not success you cannot uninstall or delete them from your game.

Yes you can. Just delete them with the launcher.

Last time as I did that, it removes only .Sims3Pack from your download folder not patterns itself from the game. Moreover for such custom patterns with plumbbob I don't see a trash icon available in the game to delete. Probably I'm doing something wrong :D
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Two another tutorials from Murano have been added:
    Tutorial for beginners from Murano:
    Pattern Plugin Manual
    How to create a RGBA Stencil Mask and use DDS plugin.
  • Options
    mandymayhemmandymayhem Posts: 351 New Member
    edited July 2009
    what does sticky mean?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Lots of people asking how to create custom patterns here and in general section. I believe this guide will help v.good to find needed tutorial very quick.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If you found this guide useful please reply to this thread. Thank you :-)
  • Options
    Stw402Stw402 Posts: 772 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Love the guide, only have one question, is it possible to increase the size of the pattern inside the game?

The game supports 256 by 256 repeating patterns, I tried for ages to increase the pattern size without any luck. Any idea on how to do this will be helpful. I've got the gut feeling the size is hard coded into the game, but you can only ask.

Thanks again for the guide. :D

Something I've been playing about with is Delphy's Pattern Packager found here
    http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=342998

Not sure why this is, but when I package a file with this program I can edit the DDS file using MultiExtractor and change the file if I'm not happy with the results, thou with the Workshop it seems to package the file diffrent so I can only access the PNG files with MultiExtractor.

Update

Sorry I wanted to do a little more research into this I made the same pattern with Delpy's and the workshop and had some intresting results

Delpy's total size was 196KB this was a DDS format pic, the same picture curropted in the workshop and was converted to png format and had a total size of 232kb so I made the same picture again in PNG format so it would work in the game the size this time was 231kb in png format.
    So which format is better DDS over PNG, haveing looked up the answear from another forum I found more people favour DDS format images, http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=68349

It seems that many report DDS format to be faster and look nicer, it might be worth thinking about if you plan to make extensive use of makeing patterns.

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Stw402 wrote:
    Love the guide, only have one question, is it possible to increase the size of the pattern inside the game?

The game supports 256 by 256 repeating patterns, I tried for ages to increase the pattern size without any luck. Any idea on how to do this will be helpful. I've got the gut feeling the size is hard coded into the game, but you can only ask.

Thanks again for the guide. :D

So far it's impossible to increase the size of the patterns. Maybe in future will be additionally a mod or a tool (program) for that.

Thank you for your kind reply! Glad you like this guide :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Stw402 wrote:
    Update

Sorry I wanted to do a little more research into this I made the same pattern with Delpy's and the workshop and had some intresting results

Delpy's total size was 196KB this was a DDS format pic, the same picture curropted in the workshop and was converted to png format and had a total size of 232kb so I made the same picture again in PNG format so it would work in the game the size this time was 231kb in png format.
    So which format is better DDS over PNG, haveing looked up the answear from another forum I found more people favour DDS format images, http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=68349

It seems that many report DDS format to be faster and look nicer, it might be worth thinking about if you plan to make extensive use of makeing patterns.

Thank you for this interesting update. This is a very important one.
    Myself I do use DDS. But with Delphy's program you will have a wrong view if you have 4 channels (included Alpha) in a case if you have set a background color for your image in Alpha channel. You have to test your file in the game before to do Sims3.Pack from it to upload.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It definately deserves a bump but no need to double post.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    REMOVAL:

If you see a pink asterisk ingame that has no design [blank square] you have an either DLd an item with a void pattern or a void pattern itself from the exchange.
    [only recolors of EA created patterns will DL from The Exchange as patterns]

Go to your launcher select 'installed items' and find the item [obviously it would be the pattern you didnt see in CAS], select it and uninstall.

Same with the pattern itself, launcher, installed items, select, uninstall.

If you have DLd an item and the pattern appears ingame and you want it removed, you must uninstall both the item and the pattern that came with it.

This is for things DLd from The Exchange only,
    CC installed any other way should be removed via instructions found on the forums you got them from. [if there was a how to install, there is usually a how to remove]
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    czsworld wrote:
    It definately deserves a bump but no need to double post.

Please forgive me, I didn't mean it to happen.

To Twitches: thank you much for this info :-)

I have edit my thread consider your suggestions:

Some important notes:
    - If you upload your custom patterns as .package file in game they will not seen as custom content (plumbbob, red star or folder icon). They look like default textures.
    - If you upload custom patterns as .Sims3Pack in game they will appear with plumbbob icon or with red star.
    - Recolored objects with custom patterns uploaded as .Sims3Pack contain this pattern as well. Textures will appear with red star in the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks everyone who participated in this thread and corrected.

• Options
    edited July 2009
    bump
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    New update to the thread:
    TSR provides whole package of tutorials:

Workshop Guides

This link is included in the thread.

Happy creating!
  • Options
    rennardbabe83rennardbabe83 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited July 2009
    can you please explain to me how to use the programs or where i can find step by step directions? i have both inkshop, gimp and sims 3 workshop and i do not know how to upload my own images or pics ive collected from the web to use.

ill prolly lose this thread so if you could, plz respond to my e-mail when its convenient for you..

cckm18@hotmail.com

thanks a bunch :) and thanks for the program download links they were extremely helpful :)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    can you please explain to me how to use the programs or where i can find step by step directions? i have both inkshop, gimp and sims 3 workshop and i do not know how to upload my own images or pics ive collected from the web to use.

ill prolly lose this thread so if you could, plz respond to my e-mail when its convenient for you..

cckm18@hotmail.com

thanks a bunch :) and thanks for the program download links they were extremely helpful :)

You may open a topic here (registration free) for your questions. I'll answer on your questions if I'm able to :-)