Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Imaginary Friend question

Hopefully someone has an answer to this. I wanted to have a sim of mine marry her imaginary friend later in life. However, as a toddler, she didn't play with it enough to make it come alive when she aged into a child. Yet, when she plays with him as a child, there is still that little +1 interaction that appears that would indicate that their friendship is growing. So, my question is this: Is the only way to make an Imaginary Friend come alive through the toddler, or can I up the friendship during childhood and the IF come alive when the sim ages up to a teenager?

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,438 Member
    edited January 2013
    I'm not sure if this will help, but take the IF doll out of your child's personal inventory and put it on the floor. If they have developed any type of relationship, the doll will turn into the IF creature. You can then use the testingcheatsenabled true cheat to slide their relationship bar up, or to just work on it without cheating. I almost forgot, for the doll to become the IF creature the child must be in the Child Stage of their life. So if you do this while the child is still a Toddler, then the doll will stay as a doll.
  • Options
    SteffstarSteffstar Posts: 1,354 Member
    edited January 2013
    LaBlue0314 wrote:
    I'm not sure if this will help, but take the IF doll out of your child's personal inventory and put it on the floor. If they have developed any type of relationship, the doll will turn into the IF creature. You can then use the testingcheatsenabled true cheat to slide their relationship bar up, or to just work on it without cheating. I almost forgot, for the doll to become the IF creature the child must be in the Child Stage of their life. So if you do this while the child is still a Toddler, then the doll will stay as a doll.

I'll give it a try.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Tried it, didn't work. THere is no friendship bar for them. I guess you can only make an IF doll come alive through the toddler stage. After that, it's just a doll. Darn.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Okay, never mind. You can "wake up" the IF doll to make it a real imaginary friend when the Sim is a child. I just had her play with it until I got "Talk about Imaginary Friend" wish. I only get that if the IF is walking around. Curious, I placed the doll on the ground and - yippee! - it came to life. Now I just need to find a Rainbow Gem and my storyline plan is a go!
  • Options
    PeleRainPeleRain Posts: 111 New Member
    edited January 2013
    I only made the IF real once (with the rainbow gem)... and it became a member of the family (a child of the original parents - so their IF's owner's sibling)...so not sure you could marry them...
  • Options
    vonHentzauvonHentzau Posts: 419 Member
    edited January 2013
    Mine became an IF through the Chemistry lab, and while she is a member of the household, she doesn't appear on the family tree. Maybe it depends on who makes her real? In my case, it was the little girl who had her.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm beginning to see where I had problems with my original question. See, the IF has like three forms: doll form where it's nothing but a doll, walking IF form where it only interacts with the child and can't be seen by any other family member (what I've been calling awake), and the "Yay, I'm a real Sim" form, that is brought on by the Rainbow Gem or Chemistry set. My question was about getting from doll form to awake form, something I wasn't sure could only be done while the sim was a toddler or if a child could do it too. The reason was, I was having problems with my game and didn't play with the IF doll while my sim was a toddler, but really wanted a chance to turn it real.

Turns out, if you have your child still play with the doll, you will get a chance to wake it up so you can turn it real. I got my answer. I think most of the replies assumed that I had already made it a walking/talking creepy thing, but I was talking about the doll form before that. The original form.

PeleRain: yes, once an IF is made into a real Sim, you can marry it and have kids.

VonHentzau: If the IF is in walking/talking creepy mode that only the responsible child can see, then it won't show up in your family tree. It will only show up if made real and marries into the family. Even real, it won't show up in your family tree unless married into the family.