Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To those who play legacies/long family games

Do you ever clean out your town? Like say, Gen 02 is about to end and you're going to start with Gen 03, do you go into Edit town and clean up some of the NPCs? I've seen a few posts every now and again about how the longer a game is played, the more cluttered the game becomes and starts acting up. I'm wondering if going through every once in a while and just deleting like the elders or one or two small families might help?

Comments

• Options
    TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited May 2012
    I confess that I am far too lazy for that. I use Twallan's mods Overwatch, ErrorTrap and StoryProgression to do it for me.

I'm so lazy that I thought the hour or so I spent tuning StoryProgression was a lot of work. :)
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited May 2012
    I play multi-generational families, and I always run into severe glitches in a neighborhood that has been played too long (over 40 sim weeks, sometimes much less than that, depending on how I play). The way I manage the neighborhood so that my sim family does not get corrupted or lost is to move the family to the bin and start a new copy of the neighborhood. Next I modify the town to replace all my custom lots. Then I evict and delete all townies, repopulate the town with custom households, and put my family in the new neighborhood. They lose all their relationships outside the home but at least I get to keep them and continue playing them.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    SteffstarSteffstar Posts: 1,354 Member
    edited May 2012
    enkeli63 wrote:
    I play multi-generational families, and I always run into severe glitches in a neighborhood that has been played too long (over 40 sim weeks, sometimes much less than that, depending on how I play). The way I manage the neighborhood so that my sim family does not get corrupted or lost is to move the family to the bin and start a new copy of the neighborhood. Next I modify the town to replace all my custom lots. Then I evict and delete all townies, repopulate the town with custom households, and put my family in the new neighborhood. They lose all their relationships outside the home but at least I get to keep them and continue playing them.

I think I've heard about people doing this too.
  • Options
    knt1229knt1229 Posts: 2,227 Member
    edited May 2012
    I have Twallan's mods in my game so that helps some. But when my game starts to freeze and get sluggish I go thru the neighborhood and try to find any stuck sims or pets and reset them. Also, periodically I will reset the entire town and all the objects. Master Controller allows me to do that. Doing these things has tremendously helped my game and kept it from getting corrupted.
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited May 2012
    I am playing my first generational game in a long time and I am in about the 60th week (11 gen). I don't really do anything, letting my mods take care of things. Every now and then my game will get a little laggy - I reset everyone in town and it goes back to normal. A couple of times I got Overwatch to do a clean up (even though it does it automatically at 3.00am) and it retrieves several missing sims and that makes my game run smoothly as well.

ETA: I don't want to move my family to the bin and clean up the town. That would defeat the purpose of my game. I play the genetics of the whole town and starting from scratch is out of the question.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited May 2012
    enkeli63 wrote:

Hi - I do the same but it'sa lot of work. Too bad each game eventually corrupts
    and we have to keep starting over.
  • Options
    ltd2mp87ltd2mp87 Posts: 728 Member
    edited May 2012
    The only cleaning up I do is removing elders. Somehow I always end up with a ton of elders in my town so I kill them off with Trigger age transition at death parties my sims host :twisted:
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited May 2012
    enkeli63 wrote:

I did this way as well, but I used Porter mods from Twallan to do it for me :lol:. This way I can save the family tree and relationship. This mods is also handles the "doppelganger" in the same town if exist. You can choose to eliminate them or leave them
  • Options
    MelOPhonicsMelOPhonics Posts: 35
    edited May 2012
    I recently went through and cleaned out a bunch of elders. My town was dying and I also had to make some families with children and babies to put in the down to keep it going. I'm thinking about getting that story progression mod, but mods scare me. I also do use the testingcheats code to reset stuck NPCs when I notice my game freezing and crashing. I don't sit down and spend over an hour doing this though. Then again, I'm only on my 2nd generation but I do have the lives set to Epic.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    ltd2mp87 wrote:
    The only cleaning up I do is removing elders. Somehow I always end up with a ton of elders in my town so I kill them off with Trigger age transition at death parties my sims host :twisted:

I do this too, kinda. I go into Edit Town at the beginning of any new generation and just delete all elders (unless one is needed for a storyline) outside my family. I also check households and get rid of adults near elder status if they are living with kids and grandkids.
  • Options
    exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited May 2012
    I need to make a checklist of this info then. I can't get past 2 or 3 gens in my legacies, and I get so upset when I go to load the next day and it says corrupted file. :( Because I put all that time and truly play the family and only that family. I post pics and get attached. :oops: :cry: So, I can move them to the bin and the legacy lot as well? Then just start a new town and plop them in it? and how do you delete npc's, or do you just mean houses you aren't playing in that game?
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
  • Options
    MischiefTheKittenMischiefTheKitten Posts: 3,635 Member
    edited May 2012
    Not really, the only thing I do every now and then is delete some NPC' and replace them with my own sims. One of my blogs (the one in my signature) is a rainbowcy, and the game keeps moving "normal" coloured sims in, so I need to swap them every now and then :)

MischiefTheKitten

Signature3_zpstzfs3ywq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I need to make a checklist of this info then. I can't get past 2 or 3 gens in my legacies, and I get so upset when I go to load the next day and it says corrupted file. :( Because I put all that time and truly play the family and only that family. I post pics and get attached. :oops: :cry: So, I can move them to the bin and the legacy lot as well? Then just start a new town and plop them in it? and how do you delete npc's, or do you just mean houses you aren't playing in that game?

I know there's a way to delete NPCs with mods, but I don't do it that way. I go into Edit Town and just click on each house to see who is living there. Anyone I want to delete, I put on the clipboard and delete them from there. I sometimes free up houses by moving singles in with eachother. Free houses mean new people moving in, and that gets me more genetics.
  • Options
    exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited May 2012
    That's easy enough. :) Thanks.
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
  • Options
    secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited May 2012
    i don't really clean them out i let ea's story progression do this it only keeps max of 50 to 60 sims in the neighbourhood, saving regular with a different file name helps instead of over writing a preveous save, as that can cause your neighbourhood to get corrupt, i do have a few mods tho one that sims will use taxi's rather then cars so i don't get a car build up in any sims inventory, my games running smootly still.
  • Options
    calmorezoocalmorezoo Posts: 8,105 Member
    edited May 2012
    I refuse to get outsiders to fix this game. so no i dont have any mods.

I do how ever build my towns from scratch so i buldoze all of ea setup and plan my town, if I use ea houses i make sure there are enough beds and a cot in all two or more bed roomed homes and stuff for kids like the toy box and activity table.

Ive gotten to 31 gens doing this and yes at the end of my play session a do the restsim cheat, just to prevent the stuck sim glitch and in edit town delete all cars on community lots.

my games have No lag.
    apart from in bridgeport game which is a fault with the worlds make up.
    h2xmsbl]

• Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited May 2012
    Twallans mods... and moveing town now and then...
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳