May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Light Bill Is Going Up...

Sorry if this has already be mentioned but I just noticed that all of the new lights released this month are 50 simpoints instead of 25 simpoints...WTH?!?!?!

I was going to get a few of the lights from the Through the Spy Glass Bathroom Set to augment my Bedroom Set but this has really put a bad taste in my mouth. First the 75 simpoint men's boots from the Street Couture Set and now this...

Just so you know, EA, alienating your loyal customers with this nonsensical pricing is not the way to make money. :?
14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CaptainTHPS4CaptainTHPS4 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited March 2011
    At this rate, EA really IS going to destroy The Sims!
    My YouTube Channel!
    youtube.com/IronSeagull
  • Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited March 2011
    It's just gone down for you, Darkling. :)
  • Options
    BabyDaisyBabyDaisy Posts: 846 New Member
    edited March 2011
    It's a silly thing to do, in my opinion anyway. Why highten the price of something - surely that way you'll get less customers? It's almost as if they DON'T want people to buy from the store! :!:

Rant over, I like the teapot light and I think it would look quite cute in a country kitchen. I wouldn't want to pay 50 simpoints for it though! :)

Me
  • Options
    jkstensjkstens Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited March 2011
    I can't believe that whoever is in charge of the store had the audacity to up the already outrageous prices. I've really slowed down on purchasing from the store because of this. Also, I always used to go crazy buying simpoints when they were on sale, but I didn't even buy any last time they were on sale because of this. Ridiculous!
  • Options
    JohnnywrJohnnywr Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited March 2011
    There will ALWAYS be people willing to hand over their hard cash for their sims` pixel pressies, EA know it, so they bump up the prices. For every person saying "I`ve stopped buying from the store", EA know there are one hundred, two hundred or more who keep buying from the store. EA know who their cash cows are and what they need to do to get those cash cows handing over their hard cash.

All it takes is a nice new shiny set and the cash cows go-a grazing and EA go-a milking. There`s no point talking about hiked prices, even in the middle of a recession, EA are a money making business, not a benevolent deity. We are here to pay their bills.

I`m as angry about hiked prices and the general cost of store items as anybody, but as long as there are people chanting "OMG! I LOVE THE NEW SET, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH EA!!!" then all we can do is put up or shut up. EA own us, and they know it.

I`m off back to my grazing.

• Options
    reni401reni401 Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited March 2011
    A short time ago we had the situation where a 25 SimPoint light was inadvertently put up on the Daily Deal at 50 points. In spite of this, 33% of the items were still sold: ostensibly individuals who did not pay attention to the price and just bought the light assuming that, whatever the price, it was a deal.

If anything that would have sent a very clear message: some will not pay attention and buy an item at an increased price anyway; and there is the strong likelihood that, as Johnnywr noted, it may annoy some consumers but there is the distinct likelihood that it won't stop many, relatively speaking, from continuing to purchase. I disagree with the "EA own us" line, though, as this is more a case of people continuing to purchase if they still feel that it is worth it to them to do so. As seen with so many of EA's other franchises, people will only take so much, thus their current financial predicament (amongst other reasons).
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited March 2011
    Trying to do some math on EA's behalf.

the produktion cost, is a one time thing for the develoment, paychecks, computters and so.

They can sell 1 or a million of the same item for the same produktion cost.

If the prize is low (or aceptebel) more people buy it, and more people gift it away. Thats not as likely whit a higher prize.

As for my self, I'm not that fast in buying it at that prize. But if the prize been 25 sp, I just might buy myself some of the lights as soon as they got out, AND gift a handfull. Often to people who can't buy sp, so that is indeed an extra sale for EA.

so lets see
    prize 50 sp, I'm hesitating in buying, might gift one, that gives a max of 100 sp to EA.
    prize 25 sp, I will buy it rater quickly, and gift a handfull, thats a minimum of 150 sp to EA.

Just one question EA, in what way do you earn most?
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    edited March 2011
    MrHawk wrote:
    It's just gone down for you, Darkling. :)

Thank you, that was sweet of you! :D
  • Options
    H0RTENSISH0RTENSIS Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited March 2011
    Johnnywr wrote:

I`m off back to my grazing.

Sorry, made me grin :mrgreen:
  • Options
    H0RTENSISH0RTENSIS Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited March 2011
    anettesb wrote:
    But if the prize been 25 sp, I just might buy myself some of the lights as soon as they got out, AND gift a handful

That's the interesting bit really because there is a lot of gifting done at the 25 sp price point. That at least must provide them with a bit of a dilemma; CAN they afford to dispense with 25 sp entirely?

As I said in a post earlier today, WE are driving this market and by 'we' I don't mean just those invested in the Sims series, I mean game players of all genres. There is only one way to stop the full steam ahead approach to micro purchases and increasing digital content but the reality is, it's not going to happen and it's here to stay. A few customers may well fall by the wayside, but not enough to have any bearing on the fact that there is a LOT of money to be made after the initial product has been sold, all at a premium price and with relatively few overheads. If and when EA do start to see themselves pricing themselves out of the market they can adjust accordingly by offering sales and DD's, it's a win, win situation, we think we are getting a bargain and the money still keeps on rolling in. I'm not looking forward to the 'pay for x number of uses' items that will inevitably get here at some point :(

Edit: ooops! didn't mean to quote me as well :D

• Options
    SmalpSmalp Posts: 2,905 New Member
    edited March 2011
    Well I'm staring at the 50 and I'll just got one word for that great nice move EA nice move testing the water just make sure you don't get flooded cause if you keep pushing you might get punched in the face
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    edited March 2011
    Well EA can hike their prices as much as they d well please, but I won't be buying because their stuff is crap. I didn't buy anything this month and if they don't start putting better store items in the store I want be buying anything.
  • Options
    CoffeeChick0CoffeeChick0 Posts: 2,294 New Member
    edited March 2011
    I had noticed the price hike on some items too. Frankly, for me, massive price hikes will keep me from gifting and/or purchasing items with my hard found simpoints.

Someone else mentioned that if there is a death of the 25 simpoint items then it might be hurting the profit from the gifters. Many people like to give out small 25 pt gifts just for the heck of it, but if they raise the price then that small pocket change, that adds up, might end.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    pondering... schould I send my math work to EA... ?
    as fare as I see it, it is basic buisnes understanding. Keep the prize so low that many buy, but high enough so that you earn money, thats the way to get the biggest profit.
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I had noticed the price hike on some items too. Frankly, for me, massive price hikes will keep me from gifting and/or purchasing items with my hard found simpoints.

Yah I don't need the lights... they maybe nice, but 50 sp... na I can live with out......I think I only be gifting them if people win in any of my competitions and specificly want's that light.
  • Options
    WELSHMINXWELSHMINX Posts: 13,672 New Member
    edited March 2011
    i know we have had a vat rise but come on ea youve doubled your prices on some items from 25points to 50 points and the mens shoes god knows what you was thinking from 25points to 75!! :shock:
    plus the fish tank is 125 points!!
    whats wrong with you ea!! :?
    well im sorry to say i could only manage a 1000point bundle when i could afford to buy them but at least i could get a fair bit in store but now...... lets just say i wont be getting much!!!
    :(
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    edited March 2011
    @HORTENSIS, CoffeChick0 and anettesb: You all bring up a very good point--I wonder if EA has seriously considered what impact this price increase will have on gifting and the revenue they make off of it? Even though I have no concrete data, I'm pretty sure that the Store has had a marked increase in profit since the Gifting Forum offically opened. Is it really smart business to do something that could jeopardize that?

With the uncertain price of gas (and other goods that require transport) looming over me, I will be keeping a closer eye on my budget and I'm sure I won't be the only one. The Store is nice and the Store is cute but things that I need come before things that I want. That translates into less Store swag for me...and less (if any) gifting.

Now, to be sure, there will be people who will be able to continue to gift regardless but some of us won't, and once a habit is broken it tends to stay broken.

Now the question is what's worth more: one in the hand or two in the bush?
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well then the big question is.... do we tell EA about the math/marketing/buisnes failer?

or do we just hope they suffer enhough to chang it.
  • Options
    SmalpSmalp Posts: 2,905 New Member
    edited March 2011
    both won't do any good if they suffer more loss they'll just try and throw more junk out the window for sale and think they might get more money and if we tell them what and how they let it just slip out of their mind and ignore it EA just think of one thing currently and that is making money as much possible in the shortest amount of time and hope people follow the leading people which I doubt since the money increase and the problems and all I doubt I'll follow I'll just stare wave at EA show them my money and say these are the money you will never get and laugh it off cause if they screw up one thing one more time for me that's it I'm off to another game company cause heck there is a dozen of them and a lot of them treat their customer better then they EA does for example steam
  • Options
    tallcoolonetallcoolone Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited March 2011
    In response to "There will ALWAYS be people willing to hand over their hard cash for their sims` pixel pressies, EA know it"

The library in my town was pretty crowded the other day, here was the scene, EVERYONE in their formal attire and one in work clothes. I'm really over buying clothes from the store that sims don't wear. It looked ridiculous! A new neighbor that the game moved in has wedding veil hair, paparazzi in a wedding dress.....etc. What I don't buy for myself, I also usually don't gift.

Could someone at EA play this game for 10 minutes? And see what we see? Then apply the lessons to the store? I think it would help.

I agree about the rising costs. I can understand a price increase for something that has a new function, but not for a clone. I don't know Darkling, maybe they thought the artwork on those was worth more??? DUNNO
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    My Page https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/tallcoolone
    Send me a friend request for Simport

• Options
    edited March 2011
    reni401 wrote:
    A short time ago we had the situation where a 25 SimPoint light was inadvertently put up on the Daily Deal at 50 points. In spite of this, 33% of the items were still sold: ostensibly individuals who did not pay attention to the price and just bought the light assuming that, whatever the price, it was a deal.

If anything that would have sent a very clear message: some will not pay attention and buy an item at an increased price anyway; and there is the strong likelihood that, as Johnnywr noted, it may annoy some consumers but there is the distinct likelihood that it won't stop many, relatively speaking, from continuing to purchase. I disagree with the "EA own us" line, though, as this is more a case of people continuing to purchase if they still feel that it is worth it to them to do so. As seen with so many of EA's other franchises, people will only take so much, thus their current financial predicament (amongst other reasons).

I gifted one of those lights and it wasn't because I didn't pay attention, it's because I already own the light and I couldn't see the price, I ASSUMED it was a daily deal, believe me Hans, this stuff is adding up in my mind. Thanks to the posters, I see that I have to be careful.

• Options
    ReachsimsReachsims Posts: 7,932 Member
    edited March 2011
    I always check the Daily Deal on a browser on which I am NOT logged in to the Store. That way I know IF the item is actually marked down and what price it is. Then I switch browsers. As we all have learned, some "sales" have not been sales at all. :(

I think these prices will have a very significant impact on the gifting forum. While I think the monthly Compilation Sets are great for those who buy all the new sets every month, I doubt most customers do that. Some of us rely on SimPoints going on sale and the Daily Deals. If what the company is now going to offer is Compilation Sets instead of SimPoint sales, that will have a great impact on gifting.

I don't know of anyone who is giving Compilation Sets away but hundreds upon hundreds of 25 point items are given away regularly. When we run out of those, there will be a significant drop in gifting and we will run out of those if lights continue to be priced at 50 points.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Silly move when gas prices were projected to go up and they have! These have a fixed cost, no shipping.

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Smalp wrote:
    both won't do any good if they suffer more loss they'll just try and throw more junk out the window for sale and think they might get more money and if we tell them what and how they let it just slip out of their mind and ignore it EA just think of one thing currently and that is making money as much possible in the shortest amount of time and hope people follow the leading people which I doubt since the money increase and the problems and all I doubt I'll follow I'll just stare wave at EA show them my money and say these are the money you will never get and laugh it off cause if they screw up one thing one more time for me that's it I'm off to another game company cause heck there is a dozen of them and a lot of them treat their customer better then they EA does for example steam

funny (tragied) thing is I just read a articel (in danish and link gone) that praised EA for getting so much better in making games and custumor service.

:twisted: really then it must have been games never starting or alway dening to save, and custumsuport 1 person in the entier world to call (you are now number 1 milion in line) who have never used a computer for anything but word.

Ok that was exstrem... but you get my point...

for me EA = warning be on your guards

And still I love playing the sims, and won't stop, but might stop trowing more money into it if it comes to it.
  • Options
    CoffeeChick0CoffeeChick0 Posts: 2,294 New Member
    edited March 2011
    In response to "There will ALWAYS be people willing to hand over their hard cash for their sims` pixel pressies, EA know it"

The library in my town was pretty crowded the other day, here was the scene, EVERYONE in their formal attire and one in work clothes. I'm really over buying clothes from the store that sims don't wear. It looked ridiculous! A new neighbor that the game moved in has wedding veil hair, paparazzi in a wedding dress.....etc. What I don't buy for myself, I also usually don't gift.

Could someone at EA play this game for 10 minutes? And see what we see? Then apply the lessons to the store? I think it would help.

I agree about the rising costs. I can understand a price increase for something that has a new function, but not for a clone. I don't know Darkling, maybe they thought the artwork on those was worth more??? DUNNO

I've seen sims in my game wearing odd things too. Like the game just randomly slaps some apparel on them. One of the oddest in my game was the hospital gown with the swim flippers on a guy walking around town.

I think EA should play the game. Some of the clothing categories makes no sense to me. And I don't understand why we have to have teens not able to wear some adult clothes.