Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More laundry / washer / dryer options

I noticed that there were only two sets of washers and dryers that came with the game (not counting the clothesline).
Neither have both pieces as top-loading or front-loading. They are mixed.
I think it would be fantastic to have some more updated front-loading washers and dryers and even stackables. They could even come with laundry drawers instead of laundry baskets. I would particularly like pedestal drawer models.

Examples:

(sideXside w/ pedestal drawers and laundry-folding shelf on top of the units)
performance-series-washer-dryer-maytag-900.jpg

(stackable washer / dryer with side drawers)
performance-series-washer-dryer-maytag-500.jpg

For eco-friendly Sims there is the washingmachine toilet.
greener_gadgets_02.jpg

I am working on getting better pictures for the Electrolux set that I have in my own home.

An added benefit of the sideXside ones would be more surface slots on which to place decorative objects. I could see things going on top of the stacked ones as well. Maybe cabinets could be set around them. They could be sort of near a closet system.

Comments

• Options
    SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    edited July 2010
    I forgot to mention that washboards would be a nice addition. They could be used in tubs or ponds.

washboard_F4802358-E761-75CF-4A516187E9473C31.gif

I also forgot to mention that it seems washers/dryers are not listed in the Sort By Room category. So maybe a Laundry Room option could be added to the game for room selections?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is there no love for the laundry room? /cry
  • Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited July 2010
    HaHa! Nice pictures suceress! The first pic looks almost exactly like my washer and dryer IRL. I went Forever without one, in an apartment and had to either walk or drive to the laundromat. Needless to say I cannot express how Thrilled I am to finally have my own!

LOL the one over the toilet, that is a new one to me!!!

I admit, before Ambitions I scoffed at the whole sims doing laundry idea. But now that I've seen the machines I think they're kind-of cute! So I'm all for more Laundry options. Stackables, or even old-fashioned washboards. Can be for those homeless sims living in a van down by the river :lol:

edit, do you know the dang pedestals cost like $200 a piece?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    zorba2357 wrote:
    HaHa! Nice pictures suceress! The first pic looks almost exactly like my washer and dryer IRL. I went Forever without one, in an apartment and had to either walk or drive to the laundromat. Needless to say I cannot express how Thrilled I am to finally have my own!

LOL the one over the toilet, that is a new one to me!!!

I admit, before Ambitions I scoffed at the whole sims doing laundry idea. But now that I've seen the machines I think they're kind-of cute! So I'm all for more Laundry options. Stackables, or even old-fashioned washboards. Can be for those homeless sims living in a van down by the river :lol:

edit, do you know the dang pedestals cost like $200 a piece?

I have this set:
    EIFLS55IIW_washer_dryer_side_by_side_with_pedestal.jpg

but in this color:
    L12080254.jpg

The web does not do the color justice. It has that metallic sheen with the sparkle.

Depending on the brand name and such, those pedestals can cost anywhere between $150 to $299. I think the ones that I got with mine were $199. We got a discount on the machines since Lowes was having a sale and Sears was being competitive. Sears has better repair service so we went with them.

I love appliances with large capacity. I still miss my 3cu.ft. microwave. It lasted 22 years before it finally gave out. I wonder if I could get the magnatron (or whatever it is called that makes it work) replaced...

I like the side drawers that are an accessory for the Maytag washer/dryer but the Maytags didn't have enough capacity for our needs.

I actually made the electrolux set out of Fresh Prince's LG washer/dryer mesh for Sims2 (but I only made it for Sims2).
    snapshot_00000004_b71a3b28.jpg

Edit: My brother just walked over and looked at the washer/toilet and said "What if you pull your laundry out and it falls in the toilet?" then he pantomimed having that happen and started screaming as if his clothes were in the dirty toilet. LOL. He carried on for about 3 minutes too..
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    snapshot_00000004_b71a3b28.jpg"height=450""width=600"

how cute, those would be nice for sims 3 , the red ones are nice, maybe a black, and a chrome.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    zorba2357 wrote:
    snapshot_00000004_b71a3b28.jpg"height=450""width=600"

how cute, those would be nice for sims 3 , the red ones are nice, maybe a black, and a chrome.

Thanks!

Sadly I don't yet know how to make objects for Sims 3. In order to make the Sims2 ones I had to modify the UVmap on the meshes Fresh-Prince made. I can't even remember how to open the window to edit UVmapping in Milkshape now.

I think Sims3 objects are more complex and require a higher poly mesh as well as lower poly meshes.

I actually am working on a washer/dryer mesh for the Electrolux but I made it from scratch and the size is probably too big. Since I can't remember how to open the UVMap section I haven't been able to map it out. Plus I need to get the curves on the front done right.

I still have no idea how to use the tools to make the meshes usable for Sims3 yet. (Well, I'm sure I can export, but making them into actual objects in the game is where I have no clue). When I finish with the mesh I might hand it over to someone who knows how to make objects and let them give it a go.

Since both the washer and dryer are front-loading it would require a change in animation for the washer since the in-game washer is top-loading. Or do I have that mixed up? One is top-loading and the other is front-loading. I would also like to have placement slots on top of the washer/dryer for decorative laundry items.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've never created my own Meshes. I think it is even harder to do in sims 3. I'll leave it up to the people who are good at that sort-of thing. There was another thread on how EA is making it harder for people to make custom content Meshes.

That toilet thing is funny! I would kind-of be afraid of that too! When I looked at it the first thing I thought of was "What if the toilet water is somehow mingling with the washer water?" EW. Back to the regular front loading washer and dryer, I noticed that front curved window, it does look very realistic.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    zorba2357 wrote:
    I've never created my own Meshes. I think it is even harder to do in sims 3. I'll leave it up to the people who are good at that sort-of thing. There was another thread on how EA is making it harder for people to make custom content Meshes.

That toilet thing is funny! I would kind-of be afraid of that too! When I looked at it the first thing I thought of was "What if the toilet water is somehow mingling with the washer water?" EW. Back to the regular front loading washer and dryer, I noticed that front curved window, it does look very realistic.

I think EA is trying to make the objects better in some regards (even if their hair textures are bleh) so they have different levels of detail in terms of polygon count. If you have the right tools and enough patience meshing is pretty fun. I can sit and mesh for hours-- although I'm waiting to be able to pick up my new mouse from the post office (US Postal Service won't deliver to my house so I have to drive 15 miles to pick up my mail). My current mouse is having issues with side to side movement. I hope my new mouse will be better.

I think the idea behind the toilet washer is that instead of having a tank load with water to flush the toilet, you would use the water from the washer. I would think that the shaking motion of the washer would make screws come loose and possibly damage the porcelain. Although they might have it stabilized so it doesn't shake. But I would be worried about the vibrations. It would be really bad if the wax seal on the toilet broke and sewage started leaking out through the bottom-- which I've had happen and it is NOT pretty. At least you can close the toilet lid.

One of these days I'm really going to have to read more tutorials and figure out which tools will be the best for making more advanced objects (although I really should start with simple ones first).

Anyone else have pictures of washers/dryers or laundry items they would like in the game?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Suceress wrote:
    zorba2357 wrote:
    Although they might have it stabilized so it doesn't shake. But I would be worried about the vibrations.

:lol: sorry I just couldn't help myself :roll:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think there actually WAS a washboard in sims 2? Am I remembering right ? But it was just a decorative object.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited July 2010
    Washer on top of the toilete?

*shudder*

No...just no.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    Washer on top of the toilete?

*shudder*

No...just no.

I know! Disaster waiting to happen!
    zorba2357 wrote:
    I think there actually WAS a washboard in sims 2? Am I remembering right ? But it was just a decorative object.

Hmm.. I think you may be right. I vaguely remember one. It would be nice to have a functional one in game. It could be used in large sinks, bathtubs, ponds, or washtubs specifically for the washing purposes.
  • Options
    Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited July 2010
    Iwish they would give us those plastic laundry baskets to carry the laundry in instead of them carrying it in a sack. Who does that? They could be different colors too.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Suceress wrote:
    I forgot to mention that washboards would be a nice addition. They could be used in tubs or ponds.

washboard_F4802358-E761-75CF-4A516187E9473C31.gif

I also forgot to mention that it seems washers/dryers are not listed in the Sort By Room category. So maybe a Laundry Room option could be added to the game for room selections?

I had one of these in the Sims 2 game. Of course it wasn't functional and only for looks. I had a pioneer town and it went well with their log cabin.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I actually carry some of my laundry in a sack, but then my laundry room is tiny and it is hard to fit through some of the spaces with the basket in my arms without hurting myself. I got bounced into the wall and banged my hands and arms in tight spaces while carrying a basket.

I really like the washboard. I think it is cool.
  • Options
    PhantomflexPhantomflex Posts: 3,607 Member
    edited July 2010
    One thing that's been bugging me is that there are no laundry sizes. What about washing/drying small loads, which don't take awhile to wash and an extra large load that takes longer? All it is just a matter of changing the XML in the pie menu to allow for different sized loads.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited July 2010
    Why complicate things by making the laundry process more detailed than it already is? Granted, I don't have Ambitions yet, but I really can't see making the laundry process more realistic. I'd just be happy we have laundry.

And a functioning washboard would be neat, especially for eco-friendly Sims who don't want to spend money on electricity. They could have a washtub and washboard, and then hang their clothes to dry on the clothes line.

For that matter, does anyone remember the old fashioned wringer washers? Sorry, I can't find an image, but basically the one we used...you had to use the water hose to fill it up with water, add soap. It ran on electricity, but after the wash cycle was done, you took your clothes, put them through a wringer, and ran the clothes into a square metal tub. Then you drained the soapy water, put clear water in the washer portion, ran the cycle briefly to get the soap out, ran your clothes through the wringer, and then dried them. Or, I believe I remember, having that tub filled with clear water, rinsing the clothes and running them through the wringer part of the washer again. It was hot and exhausting work during the summer.

Maybe someone can find an image of what I'm talking about. I believe we got ours from Sears. And this was back in the 60's.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Hintomint82Hintomint82 Posts: 462 Member
    edited July 2010
    First off, let me say that those pictures are awesome. The laundry bins especially. I've never seen them like that before, but I think I would love some for my own home.

Second, I don't think I've ever seen a top-loading dryer. Does one even exist? Of course, you might not be thinking of that so much as the front/top-loading washing machine options. I definitely agree with that, especially when it comes to emulating a laundromat. I was a bit surprised that they didn't have that option since they encourage you to make that kind of a community lot. In the future, I hope they include some drycleaning objects so I can really go all-out with my laundromat. Of course for it to really be authentic, we need oldschool arcade games and vending machines.

I don't think I would want a toilet/washing machine combo. That just looks scary, and like others have pointed out, a prime target for potential laundry-to-toilet disaster. I have to admit, though, it would be funny to see Clumsy Sims try to work one. I'm sure they'd be the main ones ending up with their laundry in the can.

I do love the idea of the washboard, though, and was surprised they brought out clotheslines but not that option. It would be great for the Technophobe and eco-Sims alike.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hintomint82, I do love the look of the side bins. They look so nice next to the machines on the pedestal drawers. My laundry room doesn't have enough space, plus they don't make them in a color that matches my washer/dryer. (That doesn't matter to me but it does to my mother). They are pretty expensive though. I wish that Electrolux had made the laundry-folding platform that lays over the tops of the machines the way the Maytag one does. The Electrolux ones tend to scuff/scratch very easily.

Jarsie9, Was it anything like this?
    fw2180s.jpg

(I did a google image search for "clothing wringer").

I also found an old hand-crank wringer pic.
    old-laundry-mangle.jpg

And this neat washer/ringer that looks even more old-fashioned.
    FIG8.jpg

Getting back to a bit more modern, anyone ever go to a hotel that had a washer/dryer combo in the room? Or been in an apartment which had one?

I found a picture of one that has a top-loading washer and front-loading dryer on top:
    frigidaire-washerdryer-combo-fleb8200ds-21114431.jpg
    Those types are a real pain because of the tight squeeze. If you're like me, you bump your head while reaching into the washer.

Then there is the front-load washer/dryer combo.
    frigidaire-glgh1642fs-washerdryer-combo-21108942.jpg

It hurts my back just thinking about having to bend that low to get the wet stuff out.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Hintomint82Hintomint82 Posts: 462 Member
    edited July 2010
    Heh! A friend of mine has that oddly-stacked combo you just showed. I think it's pretty nifty if you don't have a lot of room in your living space. Hers is in a corner of the kitchen because she has a basement apartment.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    Why complicate things by making the laundry process more detailed than it already is? Granted, I don't have Ambitions yet, but I really can't see making the laundry process more realistic. I'd just be happy we have laundry.

And a functioning washboard would be neat, especially for eco-friendly Sims who don't want to spend money on electricity. They could have a washtub and washboard, and then hang their clothes to dry on the clothes line.

For that matter, does anyone remember the old fashioned wringer washers? Sorry, I can't find an image, but basically the one we used...you had to use the water hose to fill it up with water, add soap. It ran on electricity, but after the wash cycle was done, you took your clothes, put them through a wringer, and ran the clothes into a square metal tub. Then you drained the soapy water, put clear water in the washer portion, ran the cycle briefly to get the soap out, ran your clothes through the wringer, and then dried them. Or, I believe I remember, having that tub filled with clear water, rinsing the clothes and running them through the wringer part of the washer again. It was hot and exhausting work during the summer.

Maybe someone can find an image of what I'm talking about. I believe we got ours from Sears. And this was back in the 60's.

I remember the old wringer type washers. My aunt had one and her daughter got her arm caught in the wringer and it broke it. Thank God washing clothes is not the chore it was then.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ouch. A broken arm from a ringer sounds pretty painful!

If you have to haul a lot of laundry and its heavy it can still be a chore, but it is much easier than it was in the past.

Especially now that they have detergents that let you mix the colored clothes with white and darks and lights together. No more clothing segregation! Plus the machines can be much gentler on the clothes now.

I love the pedestal drawers that came with the Electrolux. One of the cool features is, if you push on the drawer in a certain spot it unlocks it and it pops open. That way you can push it with your foot, lean down and pull out the detergent, use it, put it back, and push the drawer closed with your foot. You can also bump a specific spot on the doors of the washer and dryer with your hip, arm, etc to make it unlock and open (but only when it has power going to it and is not running-- if you have a power out, your laundry is trapped).
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wow, this one got quiet for a long time. I had to google it to find it. After playing with Ambitions a bit I am now really starting to wish I had the washer/dryer stacked combo
    frigidaire-glgh1642fs-washerdryer-combo-21108942.jpg in my game.
    I also wish that the dryer could hold more objects on top of it. I am a clutter-fiend and like to have more slots on which to place things.

• Options
    FouadcherFouadcher Posts: 789 Member
    edited August 2010
    Suceress wrote:

fw2180s.jpg

There's a logo in the washer made by my country :mrgreen: (( the Blue Logo ))

old-laundry-mangle.jpg

I think that good for The Sims Medieval =)
  • Options
    kittana514kittana514 Posts: 1,413 Member
    edited August 2010
    We still have a wringer washer - my mother always used it for those rag rugs so they wouldn't get damaged in the regular wash, and when I started doing laundry instead I had to use it. DO NOT - and I mean DO NOT get your hand caught in the wringer, and if you do don't panic and try to pull it out the way it went in... there is a push bar to release the rollers from each other to get your hand out. I wish I would have had that lil tidbit of information before I ended up using that thing.