Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Backing up my Sims...

I don't want anything to happen to this couple (and their incoming baby).

If I:
- start to move Screenshots from the Documents to the Pictures folder (away from the game files)
- back up my "Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4" in it's complete form to a separate folder elsewhere on the hard drive
- upload the family as it stands from CAS to the Gallery once the baby is an infant
- upload their house to the Gallery

that should cover me for most eventualities, right??

Comments

• Options
    monjr8302monjr8302 Posts: 257 Member
    Sounds like it! I back my saves once a week. I'm not concerned with screenshots, but I do sometimes put them on an external drive.
  • Options
    AaleynAaleyn Posts: 301 Member
    edited February 9
    I don't back up the entire The Sims 4 -folder (but that is also a good thing to do),
    I back up these two: saves and Tray. I put the back ups to a separate device: memory stick.
    I do back up 1-2 times a month, sometimes more often.
    (About screenshots: I have transfered and I'm transfering some of the screenshots to separate folders on my computer and some of the more important screenshots are separately saved in the same memory stick that I'm using to store my back ups.
    "Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • Options
    Breathe_No_MoreBreathe_No_More Posts: 175 Member
    edited February 9
    The way I am backing up my saves is quite simple: putting the whole EA -> the Sims 4 folder on an external device. My screenshots don't go in any EA folder, because I am using command + shift + 4 for making these. Of course, I put those folders (the ones with the screenshots) on an external device as well.

Edit: the gallery as well is a good place to go for saves in-game.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I do pretty much the same as OP. But one imortant difference is that I store my backup on a different device than my gaming computer. What would you do if your hard drive crashes technically? I keep mine on a portable disc, in a different room of my apartment even (although a totally different address would be even better. If you own server space/cloud fascilities, then you could also upload and ve safe, but with a full game that might take a while and requite too much space to make it practical. Main thing is not storing your backup and your game on the same computer :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited February 15
    I would recommend that the backups are also stored somewhere off your computer (Usb, cloud or something)
    in case the computer blows up (you never know with these cursed machines)

and that you keep older version of the save and up to date version of the save

= if theres something broken/corrupted it might take a while to notice and therefore older savepoint is useful
    = if you know save broke about just at this exact moment its good if you have up to date save to replace it with and not much is lost
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    It is so good to have a backup. I just lost my main save last week and had to return to an older save which I had made at the end of January. I wished I had backed up my game more diligently, but at least it seems this save is alright.