Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Renting a ranch?

I don’t have Horse Ranch but I’m thinking if I were to get it, one of the things I would want to do is rent a ranch for my urban sims to have the cowboy experience. Is it possible to do this and have a horse on the lot?
Go Raps!
canada-flag-tiny.gif

Comments

• Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    No it's not horses have to be in your house hold.Unless you make the lot pre-owned by the sims and let then have the horse and let the horse run away
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited January 19
    DeadFishy wrote: »
    I don’t have Horse Ranch but I’m thinking if I were to get it, one of the things I would want to do is rent a ranch for my urban sims to have the cowboy experience. Is it possible to do this and have a horse on the lot?

Yes. In fact lilsimsie made a 3-unit Residential Rental with 3 farm houses and a shared barn (4 stalls, 1 assigned to each unit and an extra shared one for mini-animals or guest horses.)

Horses are in the household, so can use shared or assigned rooms as stalls. Access to them could be restricted with doors or by locking gates. Mini-animals are technically objects, so I guess they could be private or community livestock, based on where they are placed and allowed to roam.

You just have to remember that horses can't use stairs, so any rooms they have access to would need to be at ground level, 1-click foundation height or accessed via platform stairs.
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,040 Member
    If you want the horses on another lot than the one your family lives on, you can always let someone else own the horse but visit and ride the horse. There is really nothing you can't do with someone else's horse, so when my sims has not been able to have a horse for various reasons, I've used this option and seen it as a riding school or whatever.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    While you can always make a rental ranch lot (so sims can go vacationing there), like said, the horse must be in the household in order to have a horse there. So, temporary horse adoption I guess...
  • Options
    DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,762 Member
    Good points… not sure how to work around this. Maybe I could create a house that sims just move in with for a short time and the family that owns the Ranch stays in one part and the visiting family stays in a residential barn or something
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited January 20

No, according to the gurus around the time the pack was released, horses are not allowed in residential rentals.
    If you try it you get a notification "Management doesn't allow horses in apartments" or something like that.

What if you had the ranch just as a normal residential lot, which a rancher family owns, and then have your urban sims travel to the lot and stay there using the Always Welcome reward trait?
  • Options
    DeadFishyDeadFishy Posts: 2,762 Member
    What if you had the ranch just as a normal residential lot, which a rancher family owns, and then have your urban sims travel to the lot and stay there using the Always Welcome reward trait?

What is that?? But the travelers would still have to go to work/school, no?

I’m thinking about adding a rancher and horse to a family temporarily then have them all go on holiday to a vacation ranch set up for a horse
    Go Raps!
    canada-flag-tiny.gif
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    Like others said, your sim can visit another lot and use their horse. You won't even need to knock on their door to get access to the horse, because it will normally be standing at the gate when you arrive.

However, you can only build your relation to the horse and your sim's riding skill. You can only participate in equestrian contests with a horse that is in your household. That said, there is nothing stopping you from moving a sim temporarily to that other household for the contests. You can enter contests only once per simday per horse though, so you would either need to stay there over several days, or allow the progress to take some time.

In my game I have a residential lot as a stable for anyone to visit an borrow a horse. Mainly for building the riding skill, though.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    edited January 20
    It’s a shame they didn’t think to have a riding stable lot or something where you could either rent a horse, or board a horse. But, I have found horses fun to play with, for the few families that do own them.

@mightysprite does that mean an owner of a Residential lot can’t own horses if they live in the same house as their Rentals? I gave the Roswell’s horses, and was going to rent out some rooms in their home, I already had the rooms decked out with kitchens and bathrooms and stuff for when they fixed rentals. I guess I’m going to have to go back and redo their house again. I don’t remember them mentioning that when they said we couldn’t rent out water lots snd things. Well, there’s another disappointment for me.

I’m still waiting them to fix lots so you can change them to other lots after they have been a residential rental.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options

What is that?? But the travelers would still have to go to work/school, no?

I’m thinking about adding a rancher and horse to a family temporarily then have them all go on holiday to a vacation ranch set up for a horse

@DeadFishy Always Welcome is a reward trait in the rewards store that allows you to cook, shower, sleep etc. on any other household's residential lot without them complaining that it's "inappropriate".
    You can avoid work/school by taking a vacation day (on the phone, under Business). No travel is involved, it will just deduct one vacation day from your stored-up PTO. You do have to remember to do it every day in the morning before the work hours. Unless you're in a work-from-home career and get the automatic pop-up with PTO as one option.

@SheriSim57 Do you mean a Residential lot or a Residential Rental lot?

• Options
    @mightysprite I meant Residential Rental

Someone on another thread said that you can own horses, ( if the owner allows pets ), but they will only show up if the family you are playing owns them.
  • Options
    @SheriSim57 Oh that's interesting. Maybe it was a change since release?
    Has anyone tried to put horses on residential rentals? (I don't have the pack so can't test)
  • Options
    @SheriSim57 Oh that's interesting. Maybe it was a change since release?
    Has anyone tried to put horses on residential rentals? (I don't have the pack so can't test)

I gave up on residential rentals till they fix lots.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    edited January 27
    I made one of the lots in chestnut ridge a residential rental and 3 of the families I moved in there have horses. You don't see the horse unless you are playing the family it belongs to, or unless you visit a family that has a horse. I also have a cow, chickens and sheep in the shared spaces with no issue. Let me add, I did this immediately upon the pack release, so it wasn't something they just added recently.
  • Options
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    I made one of the lots in chestnut ridge a residential rental and 3 of the families I moved in there have horses. You don't see the horse unless you are playing the family it belongs to, or unless you visit a family that has a horse. I also have a cow, chickens and sheep in the shared spaces with no issue. Let me add, I did this immediately upon the pack release, so it wasn't something they just added recently.

Do the chickens, cow and sheep show up for everyone?
  • Options
    Ok great @Sara1010P glad to know you can do that!

Maybe I have it confused with something that was put in to prevent horses from being moved into San Myshuno and Evergreen Harbor apartments. Sounds like it works fine in For Rent apts.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Sara1010P wrote: »

Do the chickens, cow and sheep show up for everyone?

yes, they do.