Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More questions about legacies

As everyone sees I keep restarting my legacies, it is different each time, and I'm not doing it with the points. My new question is do you start the second generation when the first dies, do you move the first gen out, or are there other things you do instead? I know the rules have specifics, but I'm more curious about your own thoughts. I do want to make it farther than the first generations stories, I am actually have fun with it, I'm just kind of find how I like to do it.
Feel free to add me to your Sims 3 friend list! I'm DMCharlie2017

Comments

• Options
    PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    @CharlieBleu: When I played my legacies in Sims2-I would switch to the second generation when the last child grew up into a young adult/adult. But with Sims3 I just play the way I want to.
    :) Smile!

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I switch when 1) some goal was achieved and the previous generation's story feels completed enough or 2) when the heir is a teen and interesting because I don't like writing kids!
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    fibijeanfibijean Posts: 122 Member
    I also ignore the points-collecting for writing reasons. I generally switch when it feels appropriate for the characters, usually a combination of when the previous generation's story feels like it's at a natural stopping point, and where it makes sense to start the story for the new generation. I like starting the story with the main character as a teen generally, because it's good for character growth, but if the event that kicks off their story would make more sense for them to experience as a child or as a young adult then I'll adjust things accordingly.
    r7ng8fn8itqt.png
  • Options
    lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited December 2023
    I start the next generation when the goals of the first one have been completed and/or the storyline has wrapped up (which I preplan to occur in a certain number of chapters). Generally speaking, I pick an heir and when they become a young adult they take over so once I know who that is, I know when things need to be finished by their parents. I also stick to the generic rules and keep heirs in the household including previous generations but tend to move out or just stop actively controlling spares
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Options
    MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    My style is all over the place. There's always a story, but it's mostly in my head. LOL I start and re-start quite a bit. It's a terrible habit.
    I've hardly ever done points. I think I would do that in SIMS 2. I cheat. I'm sorry, but when you have parent SIMS, they need cheats. I also "reset" during some games. Like I wait until Sunday in the game, and if I wasn't able to accomplish wishes, I delete the ones that just aren't working for me and the game at that time.

I also like to start a new generation when the "parents" have turned elders, then let the next in line continue. I move out "spares" once they are young adult (or when they finish college) and let the first gen live with the 2nd gen and so on.

Ask me if I ever have gotten to 10? NOPE! LOL

My favorite thing about Sims is that you do what's fun for you. I think that's my favorite thing about T3, so much space to be creative and do what you want. :)
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I'm finding I'm getting too attached to my founders and I don't want to let them go. Hence I'm thinking about turning this legacy into an immortal legacy. :rolleyes:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    I have been playing the Goths for about 42 sims weeks so far which had 2 resets. I usually have two couples in the household- with the other spaces being the children. It is a very full household but that is my game style and I am very attached to my founders. I focuses a lot on skills and careers. As I often lose family trees due to resetting, I keep my family tree on Family Echo. I used to play my last gens up to elders but they used to live a lot and I never get much time with their children. So now I usually let them get to the elder status where their children are usually young adults or I wait until they are before I move them out to a cottage quite close to the family house. I am currently just starting the eighth generation.
    4Wv5dIG.jpg