Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Simspiration": Craftsman homes

Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
edited April 2023 in The Sims 4 Lots
https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/news/simspiration-oakland

I really loved reading this, as it was so nice to see some actual Craftsman homes. However, it underlined one of my frustrations with the new world. While we did get some nice authentic craftsman features in B/B with Growing Together, the actual homes (both playable lots and the backdrops) in San Sequoia are just... not.

When I look on the gallery, too, I see so many lots that have Craftsman in the name, but they are actually just generic ranch or modern/contemporary homes, with zero to few identifiable craftsmen features. 99.9% of them don't even have front porches!" Like you can't just slap a Craftsman-style window on a ranch and suddenly think it's a Craftsman. That would be like adding a stained glass window to a Mission style house and saying, "hey, now it's a Victorian farmhouse!" or adding half-timbering to a French Country style home and then calling it a Tudor. (I mean, you can... you can do whatever you want, of course, but you'll be wrong.)

Has anyone come across any creators who have uploaded the real thing lately?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    VenusABatsonVenusABatson Posts: 929 Member
    edited April 2023
    I have built craftsman homes from real floor plans on my gallery. They're not all craftsman homes but a lot of them are. Buildmode still leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to building craftsman homes. 🤷‍♀️
    ORIGIN ID: VenusARussell
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited April 2023
    Yeah I feel like the maxis lots and the surrounding shell houses don't match each other at all in this world

and the pictures on that page seem closer to shells in Del Sol Valley less so San Sequoia

I usually mostly match the shell houses in the world and then accent with something different

or most of the time make something of my own with pack build items for lots that i don't want matchy

cause the shells really often use other packs or base game content instead of what comes in pack with the world
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    It's difficult to be completely accurate with any home in Sims 4 because of some of the limitations. I just attempted to build a craftsman home. I enjoyed the challenge but had to accept not being able to put in the all the details listed on a website that explained craftsman style with a simple covered porch, central communal area, the columns with overhanging eaves, and low-pitched gable roofs. Natural materials are used with earthy colors and exposed beams as well. It was interesting. I am happy with how my house came out but wasn't able to do a low-pitched roof as the second floor was attic-style using the half gables and a full gable on top and it won't line up well unless the top is higher than it should be. And no exposed beams that I could find. Same with Victorian houses as we don't have the fancy woodwork for the exterior that adds the charm to Victorian homes. Maybe someday....
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    It's difficult to be completely accurate with any home in Sims 4 because of some of the limitations. I just attempted to build a craftsman home. I enjoyed the challenge but had to accept not being able to put in the all the details listed on a website that explained craftsman style with a simple covered porch, central communal area, the columns with overhanging eaves, and low-pitched gable roofs. Natural materials are used with earthy colors and exposed beams as well. It was interesting. I am happy with how my house came out but wasn't able to do a low-pitched roof as the second floor was attic-style using the half gables and a full gable on top and it won't line up well unless the top is higher than it should be. And no exposed beams that I could find. Same with Victorian houses as we don't have the fancy woodwork for the exterior that adds the charm to Victorian homes. Maybe someday....

Yeah, that's fair, particularly about the roof issues. I just think there's a big difference between something like, say, Simsie's craftsman (say what you will about Simsie, she knows her way around a craftsman; even if the interiors don't feel 100% true to life, the exteriors are immediately recognizable as such).. versus some of the others, that are 100% just plain old contemporary.