Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Chester Landgraab - Strange character design

ML2003ML2003 Posts: 21 Member
Hello everyone!

I never really understood what EA tried to do with Chester Landgraab's character design. What kind of personality did they intended to show? He comes from an old money family, yet his outfits screams more "rebel", "biker", or (D&I alert, sorry) "low/middle-class family" with his leather jacket, and earring.

IMO, given the fact he has the "Commitment issues" and "Over-emotional" traits, I think he may have been overwhelmed by his family's expectations. Interestingly enough, his wife Queenie seemed to be more of a fit with his family on both personality and appearances sides.

How do you interpret this character?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I hardly ever bother the characters in the graveyard. The process of trying to reanimate them (unless you cheat) is time-intensive and laborious. They had their time, I prefer to let them…
    the-undertaker-rest-in-peace-xh6vvm3tfy0eawvs.jpg
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    SymmachusSymmachus Posts: 2 New Member
    > @ML2003 said:
    > Hello everyone!
    >
    > I never really understood what EA tried to do with Chester Landgraab's character design. What kind of personality did they intended to show? He comes from an old money family, yet his outfits screams more "rebel", "biker", or (D&I alert, sorry) "low/middle-class family" with his leather jacket, and earring.
    >
    > IMO, given the fact he has the "Commitment issues" and "Over-emotional" traits, I think he may have been overwhelmed by his family's expectations. Interestingly enough, his wife Queenie seemed to be more of a fit with his family on both personality and appearances sides.
    >
    > How do you interpret this character?

I don't know if this counts as necroposting, but I will try to answer (the Landgraab family is actually interest me a lot). I consider it likely that Chester was sort of a black sheep among the Landgraabs - his commitment issues traits means that he might not not very interested in the family business (Sims with this trait sometimes wish to quit their current job etc). Sims wiki says that Chester wants to become a World Renowned Surgeon, even though he lacks any of the traits suitable for this LTW, and in my game he wished to be a Jack of all Trades. Maybe he, just like Kermit, doesn't actually have a pre-set LTW. Queenie on the other hand seems to be more business-savvy - so IMO she operated Langraab Industries after Kermit and Kitty died. Some players speculated that Queenie was killed by the Altos, which led to the feud, although I think that the they moved to the town some time later. IMO it is possible Chester's lack of interest in the Landgraab industries could've contributed to rise of the Altos.

Another theory of mine is that the devs made Chester look "cheap" to create more contrast between the Landgraabs and the Altos - according to Sims wiki, the former, unlike the latter, do not tend to show off their wealth so blatantly.
  • Options
    ML2003ML2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Symmachus wrote: »
    > @ML2003 said:
    > Hello everyone!
    >
    > I never really understood what EA tried to do with Chester Landgraab's character design. What kind of personality did they intended to show? He comes from an old money family, yet his outfits screams more "rebel", "biker", or (D&I alert, sorry) "low/middle-class family" with his leather jacket, and earring.
    >
    > IMO, given the fact he has the "Commitment issues" and "Over-emotional" traits, I think he may have been overwhelmed by his family's expectations. Interestingly enough, his wife Queenie seemed to be more of a fit with his family on both personality and appearances sides.
    >
    > How do you interpret this character?

I don't know if this counts as necroposting, but I will try to answer (the Landgraab family is actually interest me a lot). I consider it likely that Chester was sort of a black sheep among the Landgraabs - his commitment issues traits means that he might not not very interested in the family business (Sims with this trait sometimes wish to quit their current job etc). Sims wiki says that Chester wants to become a World Renowned Surgeon, even though he lacks any of the traits suitable for this LTW, and in my game he wished to be a Jack of all Trades. Maybe he, just like Kermit, doesn't actually have a pre-set LTW. Queenie on the other hand seems to be more business-savvy - so IMO she operated Langraab Industries after Kermit and Kitty died. Some players speculated that Queenie was killed by the Altos, which led to the feud, although I think that the they moved to the town some time later. IMO it is possible Chester's lack of interest in the Landgraab industries could've contributed to rise of the Altos.

Another theory of mine is that the devs made Chester look "cheap" to create more contrast between the Landgraabs and the Altos - according to Sims wiki, the former, unlike the latter, do not tend to show off their wealth so blatantly.

Hey there, thank you for your answer!! I'm a huge fan of Landgraabs as well, feel free to write me if you want to chat about it!

I like your idea of black sheep of the family. Maybe he's dressed like that because of a middle-life crisis!

I don't think the Altos (at least Nick and Vita) have anything to do with earlier Landgraabs generations since they are from Nancy's generation. In my headcanon, they arrived in Sunset Valley shortly before the start of Sims 3 events, clashing with Landgraabs because of their ambitions and lifestyle (lavish nouveau riche vs conservative old money).

By the way, how do you manage Sunset Valley?

In my headcanon I always make Nancy win the CEO race, she buy the business building, rename it "Landgraab Industries", fires Nick Alto and Gunther Goth left its position and turn to education (following his position in The Sims 1). Vita becomes mayor and at this point I replace all low and middle class lots with fancy and modern expensive ones, matching their "uptown ideals" as describe in Sunset Valley plotline. The Goths are annoyed by this change as its not the quiet place they founded anymore, so I remove them from Sunset Valley as if they were moving to Old Town from Sims 1 (In the SIms 1 it is stated Gunther Goth founded Old Town and that Mortimer Goth is kind of new to Pleasantview/Neighborhood 1, implying he comes from somewhere else - which is Sunset Valley in my headcanon). They are closely followed by Bella and Michael Bachelor. This is how I've connected The Sims 1, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 lore together.