Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I just bought the game, so I have a few questions..

I bought Sims 3 and Sims Generations.

First, I'm confused as to how to play the game. So, you only play one family at a time in the town? You can't move in your other sims throughout the town, and have them visit each other/know each other? You save each family as their own story/game? Is that how it works? I did play a family, but I was sort of just playing and trying to figure out the game.

Also, why do I keep seeing babysitter in the paper? Is that the only job in there?

And last, if I were to get two more Sim 3 games, which ones should I get? I know that's probably asked a lot, but I'm thinking of picking two more up.

Comments

• Options
    TankadankaTankadanka Posts: 793 Member
    edited February 2012
    ksimmies wrote:
    I bought Sims 3 and Sims Generations.

First, I'm confused as to how to play the game. So, you only play one family at a time in the town?

You play one at a time, but you can switch at any moment by clicking the ellipses (...) at the bottom left corner and going into Edit Town mode where you can then choose a different household to play.
    You can't move in your other sims throughout the town, and have them visit each other/know each other? You save each family as their own story/game? Is that how it works? I did play a family, but I was sort of just playing and trying to figure out the game.

Also in Edit Town mode you can place other households you've made into the town you are currently playing. So if you wanted, you could make the entire town inhabitants of your own creation. You can interact with other Sims whether they are ones the game created or ones you created. You save each town as it's own save game. Any progress you made between households no matter how much you switched around is saved every time you save your game.
    Also, why do I keep seeing babysitter in the paper? Is that the only job in there?

You can use your cellphone (its next to your inventory in the inventory tab) or computer to look at job availabilities. Or you can click on the buildings in town to apply directly. For example you go to the Business building to apply to be a journalist. Or the Theatre to become a musician.
    And last, if I were to get two more Sim 3 games, which ones should I get? I know that's probably asked a lot, but I'm thinking of picking two more up.

I personally recommend Late Night and World Adventures. There is a very helpful youtuber who makes videos called Lazy Game Reviews and he goes over the content of each Expansion Pack and Stuff Pack. Simply do a YouTube search for each Expansion (for example, "Late Night Lazy Game Review") to get a general idea of what is included.

Good luck! :mrgreen:

Edit: Typos. :oops:

Edit 2: More typos, my gosh it's too early for me, sorry. :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • Options
    CauzCauz Posts: 457 Member
    edited February 2012
    You can still play lots of families, just go to edit town and change active household :-)

Are you sure your not playing a teen? I see lots more jobs than that! Try it with a different sim.

I'm thinking generations & pets, only two I've got running now :--)
  • Options
    BlyssciaBlysscia Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited February 2012
    Welcome to Sims 3!

The game is mainly designed to play one family at a time.
    But you can create another save game in the same town or another one and play other families.
    I believe there is also a TS2 style aging option under game options if you want to switch between multiple families in your town.
    But your sims will lose their wishes and lifetime happiness points if you do this, I think.

I think you are looking under "Find a Profession" in the newspaper.
    If you look under, "Find a Job" you will see all the other jobs.

Your last question is tough.
    It really depends on how you play.
    But I would suggest Ambitions and Pets.
    They both come with new great towns to explore (Twinbrook and Apaloosa Plains).
    Ambitions has a bunch of other professions besides daycare/babysitter.
    And a bunch of fun skill objects (inventor workbench, sketching table, sculpting, etc..) and self-employed careers.
    I really love the horses in pets (Bonus self-employed equestrian career) and there are a lot of great items, clothes, and hairstyles.
  • Options
    ksimmiesksimmies Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2012
    Thanks! I'm thinking Pets so far, but I'm not sure about another one.
  • Options
    ksimmiesksimmies Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2012
    Blysscia wrote:
    Welcome to Sims 3!

The game is mainly designed to play one family at a time.
    But you can create another save game in the same town or another one and play other families.
    I believe there is also a TS2 style aging option under game options if you want to switch between multiple families in your town.
    But your sims will lose their wishes and lifetime happiness points if you do this, I think.

I think you are looking under "Find a Profession" in the newspaper.
    If you look under, "Find a Job" you will see all the other jobs.

Your last question is tough.
    It really depends on how you play.
    But I would suggest Ambitions and Pets.
    They both come with new great towns to explore (Twinbrook and Apaloosa Plains).
    Ambitions has a bunch of other professions besides daycare/babysitter.
    And a bunch of fun skill objects (inventor workbench, sketching table, sculpting, etc..) and self-employed careers.
    I really love the horses in pets (Bonus self-employed equestrian career) and there are a lot of great items, clothes, and hairstyles.

Oh ambitions sounds cool. Thanks!
  • Options
    BlyssciaBlysscia Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited February 2012
    When I first got the Sims 3 last year, I bought the Sims 3 Deluxe which was Sims 3 + Ambitions.
    I only had that for a long time, but I finally bought all the expansions and stuff packs. haha

But yeah, I really like Ambitions.
    And I never experienced the game without it. ^-^
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited February 2012
    Hi ksimmies. Sims is a great game, you'll enjoy it.

You can get a lot of info about what the game has to offer and game play here.....

http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/

When I started playing that site helped a lot.

If you want some honest, and sometimes very funny, looks at all the expansion packs look here..

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lgr+sims+3&oq=lgr+sims&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=8860l12550l0l15759l8l8l0l2l2l0l306l1289l0.2.3.1l6l0

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    krimsonnoxkrimsonnox Posts: 6,143 Member
    edited February 2012
    Welcome to the simmerverse!

as they already said you can populate your town with whatever sims you want from edit town. i remade Twinbrook which is the town Ambitions came with into a mock New Orleans and replaced each house with my own familys (mainly based on real people i know lol). I just switch from family to family. Most other games i dont switch and just play familys but thats the one world i do try to play everyone. BTW you can have as many saves as you want (i think i have 7) For about a yr i thought i could only have 4 at a time and kept deleting them lol was i glad to learn you can have more!

Some tips , try to make back ups of your saves folder (my documents>EA>the sims> saves) fairly often i usually do once a month ( i also copy the DCcache, which is where the content you download to add to your game is stored)

And anytime you patch make sure you save before that.

The forums are like any forum subject to the occasional drama troll, but in large we are pretty friendly and mostly everyone is helpful. if you stick around you'll recognize the most helpful ones:)

Please become a part of the community, it can be rewarding. Do make a wishlist for the store and throw a couple items on it because sometimes if youre active and contribute to the community (a good build, a fun story, a great post/comment) some one will be very generous and send you a gift (always be polite of course)

We love to see other simmers pictures..so if you havent noticed already just use the c button to take screenshots ( they will be in that same sims folder under "screenshots"

ummmmm I could probably go on forever, but anyway welcome to my favorite passion (apart from my family) and I hope you join in the community and more importantly, i hope you fall in love with the game like we have. Theres really almost no limit to what you can do , if you can imagine it :)

as far as EP's go. Im going to have to vote for Ambitions and Pets. Generations and Ambitions are my favorite, and those three compliment each other really well especially if you enjoy to play family's. if you like single sims Latenight is the pack you want. World Adventures is fun, its fun to travel. but be warned, for me personally i have had more bugs with WA then any other game. But that isnt everyone's experience.

ok so Happy Simming!